Are Tadic and Pelle upgrades on Lallana and Lambert?

simo

stats dont tell the whole story

we will know in less than 12 months

lallana was our best player rated by a vast majority and in the premier league team of the year

tadic is going to have to go some to better that

Edited by Batman

but in a totally different league....and in another country.

we'd all like to think that they will replace those two, but only time will tell, and stats....... now matter how impressive, will only tell you about past performances.

The English Premier League is a law unto itself.

I haven't seen enough of either to compare to Lallana and Lambert but I am very happy with the deals over all. Pelle is 3 years younger than Lambert who I predict will have a relatively poor season at Liverpool. We basically built a team around him at Saints and he was focal to the way we play. At Liverpool he wont have that, he will be a small fish in a big pond and wont be a regular starter. Would be surprised if he gets into double figures personally, though I do wish him well.

I'd rather have Pelle, Tadic and an extra £10m in the bank, I'll put it that way.

no-one knows... unless you've seen them along side each other.. playing against the same opponents.. it's conjecture... as someone says we'll have some evidence to give us an opinion in 12 months time... but even then it will be opinion... as they'll be playing alongside and against different teams/individuals..

We've swapped two bros that I knew from first hand observation to be quality, for two bros that I've never seen play.

"A bird giving hand jobs is worth two in the bush" - Percy Bysshe Shelley

It bodes well that you have spelled Bysshe correctly, lending authenticity to the quote itself.

The fact that it's a reasonable possibility that they are an upgrade is a positive point on its own.

We've lost two key players and have replaced them with players that look like they could be better, can't complain about that.

This

Both in good form, hopefully they can be even half as effective as they were in holland.

I'd be an outright liar if I said I knew enough about either to give a definitive answer.

I do agree with the sentiment above, they don't appear to be obvious downgrades on the outgoings. Which is ofcourse encouraging.

I feel much the same about Koeman.

They may well not work out, but that could also be levelled at Sanchez going to Arsenal. It's always a gamble.

Not too much talk of an asset strip now is there *winkyface*

Nobody knows until they have played. But on paper they do look as if they are at least comparable. And of course Lallana and Lambert might also not have played as well for us this season had they remained and might not do so well at Liverpool either. I'm entirely content with both of these signings and very much look forward to seeing how they get on. I trust Koeman's judgement, just as I trusted Pochettino's judgement when he brought in Osvaldo. ;)

The fact that it's a reasonable possibility that they are an upgrade is a positive point on its own.

We've lost two key players and have replaced them with players that look like they could be better, can't complain about that.

This. They both feel like decent replacements, rather than obvious down grades - these ain't Kerry Dixons. Let's hope one of them becomes a genuine Saints star like the other two.

Totally. It doesn't feel like we've sold gold and brought copper, which as a 40 something fan is something of a novelty!

Hope so, they certainly have potential.

It's a big ask though, I think Lambert was involved in something like 46% of Saints goals last season (the same percentage as Suarez for Liverpool. It would be interesting to know what percentage Lallana and Lambert were involved in.

I've got a gut feeling that both will be fantastic for us if Koeman can integrate them into the team well and repair the spirit that has been so important over the last 4-5 years. Lambert was a real leader (a reason Lallana probably felt so lost and isolated without him) and we need a couple of the team to step up and replace that.

Both Lallana & Lambert had at least 4 years of productive service each, both contributed massively to where we are now.

We've had those 4 years to get to know their strengths and their weaknesses.

Without a similar time frame it's impossible to judge, even after next season we won't know. If we stay in the premier league and pelle scores only 3 then everyone will say no, however if in the two seasons after that he contributes 20+ goals a season then it'll be a yes.

I'm certain they'll both be better technically, they've both played at higher levels on a more consistent basis comparatively.

We'll see. More excited by Tadic than Pelle, though foreign playmakers are notoriously hit and miss. At least, Tadic doesn't appear to mind the physical side of the game. If we're aiming to integrate so many new players, prefer that some have prem experience -whether they're British or not. Tadic and Pelle are fine in isolation; but too many in combination will bring real challenges.

Despite all the flak, I feel both Adam & Rickie put their heart and soul into Saints whilst here.

That's something you can't buy.

Very good point really, and one that is easily , and conveniently, overlooked.

Clearly its a matter of wait and see for both Tadic and Pelle as to the impact they can have. We can only go on the articles read, usual youtube clips of isolated skills etc which is not conclusive. But from what I've read of Pelle he did seem to be a bit of a talisman for Feyenoord and throw himself into the club there. If he can do the same here I'm optimistic.

Tadic comes 'highly recommended'with good stats to back up RK's judgement.

In his Youtube vid Pelle looks like a slight upgrade on Paul Moody, but only slight, I am personally a little worried about him. Let's hope, as per usual, I am wrong.

How many goals did Paul Moody score, anywhere at professional level ?

I think most will agree that you are wrong on that particular point, even if Pelle does not live up to hope and expectation in his time with us

How many goals did Paul Moody score, anywhere at professional level ?

I think most will agree that you are wrong on that particular point, even if Pelle does not live up to hope and expectation in his time with us

He does look garbage in the videos of him tbf. If he puts the ball in the net for us though I couldn't care less.

Interesting comparison of stats between Pelle and Lambert. Apart from Pelle scoring more and creating more chances, which can be explained away by the 'easier' league, Pelle also had greater shot accuracy and won more duels whilst still maintaining the same pass completion as Lambert.

http://www.squawka.com/players/graziano-pelle#performance-score#feyenoord-(current)#dutch-eredivisie#9#season-2013/2014#77#all-matches#1-34#by-match

http://www.squawka.com/players/rickie-lambert#performance-score#southampton#english-barclays-premier-league#8#season-2013/2014#64#all-matches#1-38#by-match

Edited by buctootim