Spurs v Saints build up - Judas Part 2

vince

Its a pointless competition in the current format.

Would be great if they revised the format and put it on a Tuesday or Wednesday but as it is most teams work hard to qualify for it and then never pick their best team in it, whilst also doing worse in the PL.

Doesnt seem overly attractive unless you get through the mountain of games and get to the latter stages.

Really I can't see anything saving the Europa league, unless they do something about the champions league. It's the problem not the Europa league. Think the whole notion of champions league place for winners shows they have no real desire to deal with fundamental issues, it's just a gimmick.

Would be great if they revised the format and put it on a Tuesday or Wednesday but as it is most teams work hard to qualify for it and then never pick their best team in it, whilst also doing worse in the PL.

Doesnt seem overly attractive unless you get through the mountain of games and get to the latter stages.

I think we'll park this theory alongside the rest of your insightful posts on this site over the last year.

They also need to abandon the idea that teams knocked out of the CL go into the last 32 knock-out stages. Europa League teams have to battle through interminable games to reach the last 32 then often get knocked out by a CL team.

They also need to abandon the idea that teams knocked out of the CL go into the last 32 knock-out stages. Europa League teams have to battle through interminable games to reach the last 32 then often get knocked out by a CL team.

This. Plus make it a straight knockout (like domestic cups) from start to finish.

Nevertheless, a groan from Poch after the game which is good for Saints really. The Spurs club environment will be dwelling on this result for a day at least. So less positive prep time for them for Sunday.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29449205

Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino on Chiriches's error: "In football you can always make a mistake. It was an unlucky action, a difficult action in this moment.

"He made one mistake after another mistake, but we need to accept it because this is football.

"I am very disappointed, I am angry, I am frustrated, but it is 1-1 in the end.

"We conceded in the last minute, which is very disappointing, and maybe frustrating. It is hard to accept this."

Edited by TopGun

I think we'll park this theory alongside the rest of your insightful posts on this site over the last year.

You may do so. For me its pretty clear that without serious overhaul it will continue to be treated as a hinderance by British clubs. A view that many others agree with including the clubs themselves.

This. Plus make it a straight knockout (like domestic cups) from start to finish.

This for me, would massively reduce the number of games and up the value of them all getting rid of this pointless league stage where clubs play awful sides as they simply can't cope or don't care!

Wow

Sherwood saying difference between saints and Spurs is that Spurs have a squad that could challenge for the premier league title, hence why MP left as soon as he was asked.

They don't have a squad to challenge for the league. They have a squad to make a challenge for the top 4, maybe, but not the league. He's a bit of a dimwit, so not surprised at his comments.

They don't have a squad to challenge for the league. They have a squad to make a challenge for the top 4, maybe, but not the league. He's a bit of a dimwit, so not surprised at his comments.

Sherwood is a bit of non-diplomatic problem. Which is fine if you know what you're on about and can talk in context. He'll get a job as manager at Rotherham or somewhere.

Wow

Sherwood saying difference between saints and Spurs is that Spurs have a squad that could challenge for the premier league title, hence why MP left as soon as he was asked.

..think he had his rose-coloured glasses on when he said that.

They might have done - if Spuds had kept him as manager, but with MoPo, they don't know where they'll end up ...or even if MoPo will be there at the end of the season.

Wow

:lol::lol::lol: do the heck they were barely able to challenge for top four when they had Bale saving their arse every week they've gone down hill since.

Think this will be our first real test other than the Liverpool game, I see a 3-1 loss and it will be interesting to see how the team cope. With a loss after a good run, will they crumble or come back stronger?

Sherwood didn't say that, I heard the interview in question. Sherwood has always said Spurs have a squad good enough to be top 6, maybe push for top 4. Which is correct IMO. He added that after the 2 games we played against Spurs last season, Poch went on record that he thought the Spurs squad was good enough to challenge for the title, Sherwood then added he wondered if Poch still thought that now after seeing them close up.

Fair comments.

Sherwood didn't say that, I heard the interview in question. Sherwood has always said Spurs have a squad good enough to be top 6, maybe push for top 4. Which is correct IMO. He added that after the 2 games we played against Spurs last season, Poch went on record that he thought the Spurs squad was good enough to challenge for the title, Sherwood then added he wondered if Poch still thought that now after seeing them close up.

Fair comments.

I took it as a swipe at MoPo from Sherwood to be honest.

Fair comments.

Ah. That makes more sense, both as a comment in itself, and as typical Sherwood bitterness too.

Personally I really want to win this, not just because of Pochettino, but also because Spurs irritate immensely by their over-rating of themselves. Yes, they're an established PL club, not one of the real big boys any more. Definitely behind Chelsea and Arsenal in London, behind bloody Liverpool too, and nowhere near the 2 Manchester clubs in status. Overall comparable to clubs like Everton, Newcastle or Villa IMO ... Though admittedly better than Newcastle at the moment!

Good article by Robbie Savage on Spurs compared to us. Trying to get back into our good books eh robbie?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/29469397

Sorry, but I don'tbuy into "Southampton's aim is not a top-four finish, but to try to beat what Pochettino achieved when he took them to eighth place last season." Whether our aim is realistic is irrelevant, but I would far rather aim too high (so long as it is vialble financially and not like Leeds) than accept mediocrity and think that the aim is Europe and by that, not the Europa League.

So all these people who buggered off as soon as they could, profess an undying love for us. Is this the sort of love you professed to get past first base with a girl you have picked up?