Saints 2 Burnley 0 - Match Reaction

trousers

Man of the match v Burnley  

141 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the match v Burnley

Good manager, poor team, probably because the good manager didn't recruit them. Carver says a lot of his players aren't good enough for the PL, then again neither is he.

I like pards. I bet United would be doing better with him than lvg. Not saying they should appoint pards but he's a decent manager.

Enjoyed the match today, it was played in a good spirit with the notable absence of diving, cheating, harassing the referee and yellow/red cards !

Felt we controlled the 2nd half and I wasn't even particularly nervous (certainly compared to last week) fora change !

Only downside obviously was the injury to big Fraser but we march on......

Steven Davis had a great game today.

He did, his running off the ball and the positions he took up were fantastic and several telling final balls through should have brought us at least two more goals if our strikers could actually strike! Man of the Match for me for his tireless commitment especially when we were under the cosh in the first half. What an engine the man has, still sprinting until the very end.

Great job from 'Super Kev' and Morgan was his usual commanding self. Big shout up for Shane Long as well, looks like a fixture in the starting line up to me but Tadic, what has happened to the guy nothing seems to work for him anymore?

Burnley are hardworking, but like so many teams that come up from the Championship, just lacking quality and that cutting edge. We were very comfortable in the end. Really feel for Pelle though, just won't go in for him.

In the end yes, but that game could have went very differently.

Burnley should have had a penalty- and what if Davis hadn't made one of his many saves, or if that own goal hadn't gone in.

I suppose you could look at every game that way- but this was still a difficult 3 points.

First half I thought the team did not play out of a good organisation like normal...too many attacking players in the selection.

Good ball position though and the superior team on the day, accounting that they did have some presentable chances.

The reserve goalkeeper did well. I haven't seen him play before but he impressed me with his agility to reach two of the shots.

Pelle was active and was in the mix the whole match. I'll take a striker who gets chances versus one who doesn't.

Bertrand man of the match for me. The left side dominated the match today. Davis also has a very good game.

K. Davis stepped up bigtime, although his casual footwork scared the hell out of me.

As far as the result: Not really much to complain about, unless you like to complain.

a. we got three points

b. we kept a clean sheet

c. we retain 6th place.

d. We got our 16th win of the season (last year we had 15 wins)

e. Wanyama didn't pick up a yellow

I'd agree with most of that.

Pelle gets undeserved stick, but then as does a lot of the side considering we're 6th going into April.

Strange game; at times it was a close affair, at others we completely dominated and looked head and shoulders above them.

My biggest annoyance is seeing the ground half empty on the final whistle, proper weird behaviour that, even the players and management must notice it a bit.

think Koeman made a mistake with starting selection' date=' as Burnley dominated middle of pitch, but fair play to him he changed it at half time and we totally dominated.[/quote']

No he didn't, Wanyama needed only on more yellow for a 2 or 3 match ban but as everything is struck off on 1st April so Koeman was just hoping to avoid the possible suspension before then by simply not playing him. At half time, he probably gambled that grabbing those three points was so important he decide to use Victor and gambled that the chances of him getting a yellow were already lower in the second half.

Kelvin filled in ably and made a couple of great saves. Morgan was majestic, never flustered. Pelle linked play well although fluffing a couple of good chances was unlucky not to score...just needs a goal to set him off again. Toby a class act and like Morgan seems to make time and space for himself.

MOTM though, Bertrand. He had a storming game, if the pundits don't feature him tonight exposing his bizarre exclusion from the England side you'll know there's something strange going on. :?

This,

At one stage the commentators even said sarcastically something like "if there's 3 English left backs that are better that Bertrand then they must be truly excellent".

First half I thought the team did not play out of a good organisation like normal...too many attacking players in the selection.

Good ball position though and the superior team on the day, accounting that they did have some presentable chances.

The reserve goalkeeper did well. I haven't seen him play before but he impressed me with his agility to reach two of the shots.

Unfair to take the **** on his birthday Yuki.

Just back. Good win, really thought it would be a tricky game so was pleased to, in the end, get a pretty comfy win out of it.

First half wasn't that good. Burnley did more than enough to get a goal themselves and on another day could have gone into the second half in the lead. We played a lot across the back, I presume to draw them out a bit. The side was a bit unbalanced and it wasn't really working.

Wanyama coming on changed it all, the guy is a monster and we had total control all second half. Getting an early goal was key as we coasted after that. We played some great stuff at some points.

Regarding Pelle, thought he was good today. Hold up play was brilliant at times, strong, got other involved, put himself about. No complaints from me at all. Everyone was urging him to score.

On another note, Alderwerield looked like a full grown man playing against a bunch of 11 year olds, an absolute class above.

Well done Burnley for making a game of it. Plenty of chances at either end and worrying that we were allowing them so many good opportunities. No yellow cards and played in the right spirit so a big disappointment that Forster got injured. I'm not surprised that we got caught, for the first ten minutes we were playing it around at the back inviting them to close us down and only moving the ball on at the last moment. Mané was very good again. If only he could kick cleanly with his left foot he'd be outstanding. ?

Tadic was REALLY bad

Pelle ok but our attacking play did seem to lose a bit of flow and dynamism when the ball went through him

Mane better through the middle than on the wing

Davis was excellent, Long also superb - Wanyama tidied things up

Thought we were a bit too casual at times although fully deserved the victory - Burnley offered very little

Anyone else notice Kelvin's little clenched fist FU to the linesman in front of the Chapel when he got away with giving a corner away near the end of the game? Made me lol!

The ball was closer to the advertising hoardings than the pitch during that incident... :D

No he didn't, Wanyama needed only on more yellow for a 2 or 3 match ban but as everything is struck off on 1st April so Koeman was just hoping to avoid the possible suspension before then by simply not playing him. At half time, he probably gambled that grabbing those three points was so important he decide to use Victor and gambled that the chances of him getting a yellow were already lower in the second half.

What are you on about? The deadline is April 12. Dropping Victor to the bench had nothing to do with the looming ban. It was a tactical decision that RK got wrong but, to his credit, he had the flexibility and humility to change things relatively early on.

Taters said today that Pelle has made the most runs for a ST this season as well as most efforts off the woodwork in the prem

I know I called him the Italian Torres,but he really does give it a go and he does usually get the **** kicked out of him during the game,his confidence is shot but if he gets one I am hoping that will give him the confidence to get more,not really concerned by his drought as he does a lot of work with the ball

What are you on about? The deadline is April 12. Dropping Victor to the bench had nothing to do with the looming ban. It was a tactical decision that RK got wrong but, to his credit, he had the flexibility and humility to change things relatively early on.

That may, or may not, be true.

Koeman did mention the potential suspension as one reason he didn't start Vic in the post match interview on radio Solent.

Koeman did mention the potential suspension as one reason he didn't start Vic in the post match interview on radio Solent.

One reason, perhaps, but I would be surprised if it was the main one. Had RK known that the diamond would have been as problematic as it was, causing (among other things) Tadic to play narrow and deep and Morgan to be swamped whenever the second ball fell from Vokes, am pretty sure he would have started Victor.

Long had an excellent game at Chelsea, so RK tried to accomodate him today while also bringing Pelle back into fold -after all, Burnley have been abysmal defending setpieces and crosses this season. Throw in the fact that we've sometimes been a bit too conservative at home, especially with teams getting men behind the ball, it's not difficult to understand why RK chose to drop Victor today -quite apart from his disciplinary record.

One reason, perhaps, but I would be surprised if it was the main one. Had RK known that the diamond would have been as problematic as it was, causing (among other things) Tadic to play narrow and deep and Morgan to be swamped whenever the second ball fell from Vokes, am pretty sure he would have started Victor.

Long had an excellent game at Chelsea, so RK tried to accomodate him today while also bringing Pelle back into fold -after all, Burnley have been abysmal defending setpieces and crosses this season. Throw in the fact that we've sometimes been a bit too conservative at home, especially with teams getting men behind the ball, it's not difficult to understand why RK chose to drop Victor today -quite apart from his disciplinary record.

:nod: But we looked much better(as always) with Vic on the pitch and SL had a great game imho

It was alright, I just feel a bit down with the Fraser injury. It ain't good, we're looking at probably a year + I reckon. So, new keeper shopping list for the summer.

1st half was a bit rubbish, I think the entire team were rocked a bit by the severity of Frasers injury - but the 2nd half was better, we kept our nerve and dug it out - which is what you have to do against those sides.

Kelv did well, but as we all know he is a terrific shot stopper. Will be interesting to see how he gets on for the rest of the season, not the ideal situation by any means, but I'd be gob smacked if we finish below 7th now (11 pt gap if you count the GD, 8 games to go). And if all goes to plan, 7th should get EL.

Me and littleuns first trip to St Marys since Crystal Palace knocked us out of the FA Cup a while ago, and if it wasn't a especially great performance, then at least we got a good result and we both enjoyed our big day out. A few thoughts:

Our back four is as cohesive a group of top class defenders as I've seen play for this club.

Shane Long and Sadio Mane are talented players who work their socks off too.

Steve Davis was as neat and tidy as ever - but does he hurt the opposition enough?

Rotten luck for Forster - but Super Kelv was ready when we needed him. Top man.

Pelle hapless yet again. Is this a case of temporary bad form, or is he another Saganowski in the making?

Sobering to think that this may be my last chance to watch this team before it's broken up.

Burnley are not a lost cause, but you could see them fade as the game progressed.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

It was alright, I just feel a bit down with the Fraser injury. It ain't good, we're looking at probably a year + I reckon. So, new keeper shopping list for the summer.

1st half was a bit rubbish, I think the entire team were rocked a bit by the severity of Frasers injury - but the 2nd half was better, we kept our nerve and dug it out - which is what you have to do against those sides.

Kelv did well, but as we all know he is a terrific shot stopper. Will be interesting to see how he gets on for the rest of the season, not the ideal situation by any means, but I'd be gob smacked if we finish below 7th now (11 pt gap if you count the GD, 8 games to go). And if all goes to plan, 7th should get EL.

First half showed how important wanyama is to team. When Morgan has been out we haven't missed him

As much as when Vic is out IMO. We beat arsenal at home with Vic.

Sorry for the lack of match report on this one - if anyone who actually watched the game fancies doing a guest one, please feel free.

I could have scraped one together on the basis of the club's tweets, but hey, they're biased - and I didn't see the game, so don't think I should write about it.

Sorry for the lack of match report on this one - if anyone who actually watched the game fancies doing a guest one, please feel free.

I could have scraped one together on the basis of the club's tweets, but hey, they're biased - and I didn't see the game, so don't think I should write about it.

I'm sure we'll live.

Super Kelve had a great game bearing in mind he had not played for 13 months in the Prem. He was so confident. Joint Mom with Ryan B. Burnley tried to make a game of it first half but loked shattered in the 2nd when we started passing the ball around.

Good win against what is a good and well organised Burnley team. I like what Dyche has done there and the way they play football. Genuinely hope they stay up - Dyche and a few of their players are refreshing for the premier league - they all look like they want to play for him and the club which is more than can be said of a lot of players at clubs fighting for survival. I'd take them in the PL over Sunderland and/or Hull every day of the week.

Forster's injury looks bad - let's hope he recovers better than Rodriguez is with his Knee injury. I'd stick with KD until the end of the season and give Boruc a 1 year extension in the summer.

Long was superb, as was S.Davies - Toby has to be our #1 target in the summer.

Pelle - let's not even go there....

Happy with the win. Game was about par as for expectations being met. Kelvin, Long and Bertrand magnificent. Mane, Pelle and Tadic pretty poor. I dont think Pelle will score for us again this season. Confidence shot to ribbons.

Mane wasn't poor, far from it and Long wasn't magnificent! Second half performance was so much better with the introduction of Wanyama crucial. Thought Bertrand, Steve Davis, Morgan were great for most of the game - Vic very influential after the break; Long was busy and involved and much praise for Kelvin to come on and hold up the dangerous first half Burnley spell - whether he's up to the role until season's end is very debatable.

Why all the vitriol against Pelle? From where I sit in the Family bit (2nd row in) I saw that almost every time Pelle went for the ball two,sometimes three Burnley players were on him.They wrestled,grabbed and kicked him but he still kept his cool and carried on.His only error was not to put his boot through the ball early on but it's easy to see the poor lads stewing inside at his misses.Lets pick on Tadic.Apart from one decent corner how many times did he give the ball away? Sorry Webbers you can't always get what you want in life. I'm just glad we won.

I still can't understand why we don't leave a speed merchant in the centre circle when we defend corners.Four,maybe five times yesterday the ball was cleared to the opposition and hoofed back in.When other teams leave a front man in the centre at corners we have to use two defenders to try and stop a break away.So come on RK let's give it a try.

Happy with the win. Game was about par as for expectations being met. Kelvin, Long and Bertrand magnificent. Mane, Pelle and Tadic pretty poor. I dont think Pelle will score for us again this season. Confidence shot to ribbons.

£20 Pelle to score first goal at Everton, £30 Pelle to score anytime at Everton.You have just made this bet a cert

We were pretty poor in the first half but better in the second. I thought our performance was rather stuttering with some flashes of good football. I was disappointed we did not score more than two - our biggest problem at present is in the attacking department. At least we got all three points but we will need to up things to go on the winning run we need.

Forster's injury looks bad - let's hope he recovers better than Rodriguez is with his Knee injury. I'd stick with KD until the end of the season and give Boruc a 1 year extension in the summer.

Long was superb, as was S.Davies - Toby has to be our #1 target in the summer.

Pelle - let's not even go there....

We don't really have another relistic option than to stick with KD. As for Boruc, that bridge I'd imagine is well and truly burnt.

Agree about Toby.

We were pretty poor in the first half but better in the second. I thought our performance was rather stuttering with some flashes of good football. I was disappointed we did not score more than two - our biggest problem at present is in the attacking department. At least we got all three points but we will need to up things to go on the winning run we need.

Don't know if its just a phrase, but "biggest problem"? We have scored 7th most goals in the premier league, when being a defensively set up side.

Only one less than Liverpool that great attacking side with Lallana, Sterling, Sturbridge, Coutinhio, Lambert, Balatelli, Gerrard etc.

Maybe area with room for improvement!

After being tipped for relegation yesterday we beat our record for wins.

Only negative I have today is Forster.

Why all the vitriol against Pelle? From where I sit in the Family bit (2nd row in) I saw that almost every time Pelle went for the ball two,sometimes three Burnley players were on him.They wrestled,grabbed and kicked him but he still kept his cool and carried on.His only error was not to put his boot through the ball early on but it's easy to see the poor lads stewing inside at his misses.Lets pick on Tadic.Apart from one decent corner how many times did he give the ball away? Sorry Webbers you can't always get what you want in life. I'm just glad we won.

I still can't understand why we don't leave a speed merchant in the centre circle when we defend corners.Four,maybe five times yesterday the ball was cleared to the opposition and hoofed back in.When other teams leave a front man in the centre at corners we have to use two defenders to try and stop a break away.So come on RK let's give it a try.

Let's not pick on anyone eh? We're having pretty much the best season a lot of fans have known. Tadic may not have been great but he put the most dangerous balls into the box of any Saints player in the first half. Indeed Long's goal came from the confusion caused by his initial good cross.

Why fans get off on tutting and moaning at Pelle I'll never know. Fucking pricks the lot of them.