Saints 4-2 Man City

Lighthouse

MotM vs Manchester City (Home 2015/16)  

324 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Manchester City (Home 2015/16)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Martina
    • van Dijk
    • Fonte
    • Wanyama
    • Clasie
    • Davis
    • Tadić
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Rodriguez

Thrilling stuff to watch - whether Citeh had their minds elsewhere or not, Saints played some lovely Football. Mane and Tadic just superb. Wanyama, Davis, Long, VVD, Bertrand all very good. If there's the faintest prospect of retaining Mane the Club must pull out every pound they can to do it. The only downside of the game was the horrible form of Clasie - when Romeu came on he looked so much better.

Agreed.

Excellent game. The Mane-Tadic-Long trio is dynamite.

But the Clasie thingie is becoming more and more evident. He really doesen't give much to the team. His defensive awareness and positioning are good but in every other aspect of the game Romeu is head and shoulders above him. Start him already, Ron!

We were all over the city defenders with movement and pace - those 2 in particular (Mangala/Otamendi) hate players running at them. Otamendi is a technically gifted player, but I just cannot see a PL defender in him. Players like Long are part and parcel of the league with their endevour, work rate etc, and he just cannot handle those sorts of players.

As soon as i saw those two starting I thought we just have to run at them...commit them, and that's exactly what we did from the first second.

My MOTM today was Tadic, who was sublime. They couldn't pick him up, and he was finding space in front of their back 4 all first half in particular - and he was always dangerous on the ball, they were frightened of him.

I don't think City fancied it really, they have bigger fish to fry, but at least we made the most of it!

Another win and we match last year's point total. - 60 points

2 wins or 1 win and a draw we surpass last year's point total. - 61 or 63 points.

Who is the only team that has 3 players in the top 20 goal scorers in the League so far? The team that has Mane (16th), Pelle (17th), and Long (18th). Each with 10 goals each.

Another win and we match last year's point total. - 60 points

2 wins or 1 win and a draw we surpass last year's point total. - 61 or 63 points.

Who is the only team that has 3 players in the top 20 goal scorers in the League so far? The team that has Mane (16th), Pelle (17th), and Long (18th). Each with 10 goals each.

Need something at Spurs, Last Season FC beating us comfortably on G.D.

Absolutely class team performance, quite possibly the best since Koeman joined.

Long and Mane supplied by the excellent Tadic was great to watch.

Fonte and VVD also dominant.

Anyone who doesn't think he would miss Wanyama is mad - he was superb today and wins so many duels to prevent attacks.

Only negative for me was Clasie - turned so easily for his yellow then again in the build up to their first goal.

He doesn't have the athleticism required to boss a midfield in the PL IMO.

Like a scratched record having a pop a Clasie. Well done for not crowbar ring some Spurs praise in though.

Changed your mind about Long yet?

City were absolutely woeful but god, what a great performance first half. Front four all on top form and exploiting their weaknesses. You've got to give Mane MOTM for the hat trick but Long, Tadic, Davis and Wanyama were all top notch.

Sadly, same as the Villa game, we allowed their disinterestedness to rub off on us defensively at times.

I know 'ifs' don't matter, but just imagine if, for example, we'd won away at Everton, home against Sunderland, and away at Bournemouth. Three very winnable games, and we'd be right up there competing for #4. Still, great season the way it's going.

Could add West Ham and Norwich away. Can't complain about getting nothing from Bournemouth away though.

As soon as Mane scored his first my nipper said he'd get a hatrick ! Cracking game but again disappointed to concede when well on top against a team , Tadic my mom but the whole team hustled and bullied City with great agression and power imo .

City fans are furious their post match fred is about 50 pages long haha (not that I can laugh my voice is gone)

If only Tadic did that every game

Good performance from him but he needs to do it week in week out

Players like him never do though, unless of course you are talking Messi and Ronaldo.

His number of assists and goals this season for the games played isn't too shabby to be fair to him.

Like a scratched record having a pop a Clasie. Well done for not crowbar ring some Spurs praise in though.

How did you see Clasie's performance? I thought Wanyama (who was excellent) covered for him numerous times and probably wins double the amount of duels in a game.

His yellow (and subsequent sub) summed up his weakness for me - too easily beaten where Wanyama and Romeu wouldn't be and having to pull Fernandino down.

Obviously an excellent team performance but think the game often passes by without him making many contributions.

Is that unfair?

It was more than a "good performance" and if he "did it" every week he would be the best player in the league. Hate to break it to you, but he's not going to get 3 assists every week. So, so bitter it's untrue.

VVD was quite superb. Good time to play them but still had to do a job. Probably only me, but struggle to see what Clasie offers. Vic superb. Long fantastic. Great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VVD was quite superb. Good time to play them but still had to do a job. Probably only me, but struggle to see what Clasie offers. Vic superb. Long fantastic. Great day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's probably not just you, Clasie just doesn't look physically suited to this league. Good at pressing if he gets a little touch in but easily caught on the wrong side if he doesn't. Good through ball to Long but otherwise just content to knock it back to the CB's as per usual.

I wondered why Koeman started with a " lightweight " strike force and without Pelle, Rodriguez or Austin.....but got the answer in the first half hour. Great game.

The pace was frenetic and City just couldn't keep up with the speed of our attacks. Looking at the Poll, can't recall when I last saw three players vying for MoM.

Can anyone really compare the £50 million paid for Raheem Sterling ....with our fairly modest fee for Sadio Mane ?

Brilliant performance today, my son was buzzing for hours afterwards.

So that's two matches he's attended and 7 goals from Saints..... Think I'll be having to take him some more!

JRod definitely needs a full pre season - he's not properly fit and it's showing. Not surprising given the length of his recovery from a potentially career ending injury. Still good to see him get on the pitch.

Clasie gave lots of huff and puff but putting Romeu on really changed our midfield for the better

I thought Davis was very good - put himself about constantly

Shane was immense as was Mané. City's defence just couldn't handle them all game.

Forster worked very well when he needed to but City didn't really trouble our goal much

Wanyama was really solid

A few of the players seemed to be having problems with slipping over in different areas of the pitch

But the best part for me was that we operated as a team today. (Except for the two times the team just went to sleep and let City score)

Edited by Mr Biscuits

Only negative, Jrod looked like he was running in treacle when he came on. Looks to have lost some pace :(

Great result but agree about Jrod, I fear for him I really do, I am hoping it is just a fitness issue and not a legacy of the injury.

I thought Long was outstanding today and his workrate is outstanding.

Cracking match, great performance from the team. In control from the start and never got under a lot of pressure while the front 3 were causing them all sorts of trouble. Only 3 more points and we have the same amount of points as last season, not too shabby..

I wondered why Koeman started with a " lightweight " strike force and without Pelle, Rodriguez or Austin.....but got the answer in the first half hour. Great game.

The pace was frenetic and City just couldn't keep up with the speed of our attacks. Looking at the Poll, can't recall when I last saw three players vying for MoM.

Can anyone really compare the £50 million paid for Raheem Sterling ....with our fairly modest fee for Sadio Mane ?

As you say in your last sentence of fee paid for Sterling compared to Mane is laughable. Sterling this season has looked like a one dimensional, speedy winger. Mane has the game to play striker, winger or attacking midfielder. Quite apart from his goals yesterday his range of passing and touches to set up attacks were brilliant.

Thoroughly enjoyed that game, from the first minute to last, class performance across the pitch from us. Tadic has been on fire the last few games. Yes, City were poor, but I think we'd have beaten most sides comfortably today.

Few negatives;

Shows how much more we could have done this season - European exit, Liverpool in the cup, run of bad league results - all clubs are inconsistent, but it does show how much better we are than those games showed.

Two soft goals conceded again.

Rodriguez looks miles off the player he once was.

The ground a third empty on the final whistle after playing one of the best sides in the country off the park. People are free to do what they want, but sad to see.

Tbf he's done that last 3 games and 7 goals 10 assists is good. Lallana 4 goals 6 assists.

I thought Tadic was epic.

Surprised to see Long winning the MotM vote on here. I think I might just have got used to him being brilliant, so am perhaps taking him for granted. Agree that he could be next season's Vardy, if he could only improve his finishing by a notch - he is otherwise fantastic. Defenders must hate playing against him.

How did you see Clasie's performance? I thought Wanyama (who was excellent) covered for him numerous times and probably wins double the amount of duels in a game.

His yellow (and subsequent sub) summed up his weakness for me - too easily beaten where Wanyama and Romeu wouldn't be and having to pull Fernandino down.

Obviously an excellent team performance but think the game often passes by without him making many contributions.

Is that unfair?

I thought he did OK and churlish to think his performance was a negative when our overall performance was outstanding.

Seems a few always want to single him out. The same few that were always banging on about Long not being up to it. Obviously players put in varying performances and we criticise - if your comment was in isolation I wouldn't have commented. Overall been v happy with Clasie including yesterday.

He gets distracted trying to work out who the tall bloke is playing in goal for us this season.

Kelechi Iheanacho very impressive for City. Will score bucketloads the next few season I think.

Best goals to mins ratio of any player to score more than 2 this season.

IF Guardiola brings in an expensive striker from Bayern with him might be nice to get the lad in on loan, bit like Lukaku with Everton - convince him regular footie is more beneficial in the long term and sign him for 20m after a decent season with us. Can dream :lol:

Just had to say how good was radical today, just watched back the highlights and those through balls were world class. Looks a different player since his national team issues came to light.

Radix, not radical. Bloody kindle!