Liverpool Away Build Up - SEMI FINAL

Saint Garrett

Then he is an idiot. Because we should never have sold Fonte without having a replacement. Could all have been done on Thursday.

Only a muppet would expect Liverpool to strengthen our team right before a cup semi final against them.

There is absolutely no defence for what he has done with Fonte, the timing is horrendous and could very well cot us a cup final. I just hope for all our sakes that our best player and captain is fit!!

This. Exactly. Clueless Reed.

Edited by eelpie

Imagine from a PR point of view if VVD passes his fitness test just before the game.

Imagine if Stephens plays and we keep a clean sheet. This could be the making of another academy player.

have to say I do suspect that this may be part of it... Keep the opposition guessing and what not.

Even if he is out, they're missing Mane who is equally as important to them. You just have to deal with the squad you've got.

Also, their defense is a shambles. If we hit them on the counter with pace, we've got a real chance of getting at least 1 - we just need to take our chances.

Totally agree. This is a massive week and there is no Fonte replacement. If we go out of both cups the board is responsible. I hope Stephens steps up but Yoshida and Stephens is not what we would have hoped for in these big games. I hope Les takes his share of the blame for a potential cock up.

That's bollix.

I agree the board should have had a replacement for Fonte lined up. If he told them he wanted to leave last summer they should have been preparing for this for months. The club make a lot of PR out of their secession planning but this time they looked like they dropped the ball. Fonte leaving left us short of senior CBs. It could have been Yoshida injured in the last game instead of VVD and we'd still be in a bad spot.

But if we go out of the cup against Liverpool trying to blame that on Fonte leaving is agenda driven bollix. We had more than enough chances to kill this tie at home and didn't take them and Liverpool are missing more first teamers from their best eleven than we are. Missing one (admittedly top class) player from tomorrow nights squad will not be the reason we don't get through to the final against a weakened Liverpool side in a poor run of form.

1. How was Les or anyone at the club able to predict that our best player would go down injured 3 days before this game?

2. So you're suggesting we play a player who's heart isn't in it and knows he'll be moving to a new club later that week anyway....

3. Fonte hasn't played for about a month. Why would the club want to continue paying wages (and potentially make suitors look elsewhere) to a player that isn't playing and isn't part of the match day squad.

Even if Fonte's transfer hadn't already been secured, he would not be playing Wednesday.

Absolute ridiculous statement and you clearly know nothing about how transfers take place.

As frustrating as it is, we have transfer targets which we do not let out in the media. Deals take time, I have no doubt that come the end of the window we'll have a new CB (IMO it will be Sahko. Liverpool aren't going to strengthen us before a game against them are they).

Fonte would give his absolute all for saints in his last ever appearance in a cup semi final. He penned the fans a leaving letter and has had 8 incredible and emotional years here.

I really can't believe fans think that little of him.

Fonte would give his absolute all for saints in his last ever appearance in a cup semi final. He penned the fans a leaving letter and has had 8 incredible and emotional years here.

Fonte has been unsettled this year and his performances have dropped as a result.

Well this is clearly bol_loxs. There is no way the club, quite rightly would play him, as he'd requested to leave.

You usually do chat absolute bol_loxs so it comes as no shock really.

Good grief, how could you possibly consider dropping JWP after a MOTM performance today and replace him with Clasie or an unfit SD. Mad.

Tbf Prowse has only played well a handful of times in the last few seasons . Playing Prowse and expecting the same performance as against Leicester is highly unlikely .

I would expect a return to Puels negative tactic to protect our lead . Can see him playing for a draw

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Tbf Prowse has only played well a handful of times in the last few seasons . Playing Prowse and expecting the same performance as against Leicester is highly unlikely .

I would expect a return to Puels negative tactic to protect our lead . Can see him playing for a draw

TBF Puels incessant rotation takes no prisoners – even poor Shane Long was dropped after scoring a wonder goal and winner vs. Norwich

I get the feeling that Puel might decide his teams a month in advance and if VVD isn’t fit for Wednesday we will have to play with 10 men ;)

I think Ladysaint said he had a spare place in car

I'm going up tomorrow morning from Basingstoke and back Thursday. Happy to give you a lift up tomorrow if that fits in with your plans. Bit of a squeeze in the car mind...

Cheers guys, got something sorted now.

The West Ham deal would have been pretty much sorted a week before it was announced . There is no way on earth we could have said " do you mind hanging on until after our semi final in case someone gets injured and we need Jose". Complete ****** to suggest otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Puels incessant rotation takes no prisoners – even poor Shane Long was dropped after scoring a wonder goal and winner vs. Norwich

I get the feeling that Puel might decide his teams a month in advance and if VVD isn’t fit for Wednesday we will have to play with 10 men ;)

Reduce sideways passing - TICK

Tadic wide left - TICK

Redmond wide right - TICK

Attacking football - TICK

Get numbers into the box when we attack - TICK

Reduce rotation league game to league game -TICK

Quicker Tempo - TICK

Almost like the whining t**ts know a thing or two?

Two bits highlighted in bold. So a 'TICK' for reducing rotation from league game to league game, but now it becomes 'Puel's incessant rotation' and 'poor Shane Long' dropped.

Classic Glasgow I guess.

Hypothetically, a mate was asking honest, if a Saints fan were to be a bad Saints fan and put an insurance bet on tomorrow's game, what would be best? Liverpool appear to be big favourites. Would it be a Liverpool -1 handicap for the win?

Hypothetically, a mate was asking honest, if a Saints fan were to be a bad Saints fan and put an insurance bet on tomorrow's game, what would be best? Liverpool appear to be big favourites. Would it be a Liverpool -1 handicap for the win?

Liverpool to qualify are 4/5 on bet365...

Two bits highlighted in bold. So a 'TICK' for reducing rotation from league game to league game, but now it becomes 'Puel's incessant rotation' and 'poor Shane Long' dropped.

Classic Glasgow I guess.

Not withstanding that Puel has only "rotated" 2.7 players on average from league game to league game throughout the course of the season (or only 1.6 players per game if you discount the hectic December/January period)...

The similarity with January 1979 is spooky….won the home leg 1-0; away to a northern team starting with L; and a big freeze on (there was snow at Ellland Rd for those who went). Who then will be the 2017 version of Steve Williams and Nick Holmes??

Imagine from a PR point of view if VVD passes his fitness test just before the game.

Imagine if Stephens plays and we keep a clean sheet. This could be the making of another academy player.

Does Stephens really qualify as an academy player? We bought him when he was around 17 or 18. Might have been 16 maybe at a push? Some players have won world cups at 17 so not sure how players coming in at that age would be classed as a product of our academy?

Well this is clearly bol_loxs. There is no way the club, quite rightly would play him, as he'd requested to leave.

You usually do chat absolute bol_loxs so it comes as no shock really.

That doesn't explain why the club had not arranged a replacement for Fonte since they knew he was going and had ages to do this. They must have decided they didn't want to

Does Stephens really qualify as an academy player? We bought him when he was around 17 or 18. Might have been 16 maybe at a push? Some players have won world cups at 17 so not sure how players coming in at that age would be classed as a product of our academy?

He was 16 when he was signed. Academy certainly includes under 18s, so yes he does count as Academy, even though he was originally at Argyle. Promoted to first team at same time as Shaw, Ward-Prowse and Chambers. Difficult for central defenders to break through at the same age as wingers, full backs and midfielders. Forgot he made his first team debut 5 years ago though. I think only Pele has won a World Cup aged 17, he was somewhat special, and was closer to 18 when he actually won it (Norman Whiteside was younger when he played in the Finals)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18176183

That's pathetic over 2000 unsold tickets

In the circumstances I don't think that is too bad.

There have been quite a few games lately, unfortunately a bit lacking in positivity, and many of us had the cost and time off work to follow the team on our European 'adventure', then I am sure all the 5k allocation would be taken up

I really tip my hat to those who are off to Swansea next Tuesday

If it hadn't been for this and we were

In the circumstances I don't think that is too bad.

There have been quite a few games lately, unfortunately a bit lacking in positivity, and many of us had the cost and time off work to follow the team on our European 'adventure'. If it hadn't been for this and the team was on a decent run of results then I am sure all the 5k allocation would be taken up

I really tip my hat to those who are off to Swansea next Tuesday

That's pathetic over 2000 unsold tickets

It's not exactly 2000 'unsold' tickets as the club decided not to gamble on the extra tickets as sales were slow and Liverpool wanted them (and quickly sold them) to their fans.

Can't blame the club at all (other than they could have helped with travel), the slow sales probably just made them wary of taking the lot and ending seriously out of pocket if apathy remained.

So saw the whole squad in Southampton airport on my way up to Glasgow ��. Boys looked calm and a few joking about together with each other. Some dodgy choices of bags but I guess that's personal taste. Sadly did not see VVD with them.

:( i'm clinging onto the hope that you're just stirring and we actually fly from Bournemouth, but sadly expect you're telling the truth.

**** turnout considering its our first semi final in nearly 15 years

Yep its pretty poor, but that shows what fans think of this cup. Personally, I'm not willing to let the rare occasion of a semi final pass me by. Whether it will be worth the time and money I'm not sure as we usually come up short badly in these `big' games. See you all there.

That's bollix.

I agree the board should have had a replacement for Fonte lined up. If he told them he wanted to leave last summer they should have been preparing for this for months. The club make a lot of PR out of their secession planning but this time they looked like they dropped the ball. Fonte leaving left us short of senior CBs. It could have been Yoshida injured in the last game instead of VVD and we'd still be in a bad spot.

But if we go out of the cup against Liverpool trying to blame that on Fonte leaving is agenda driven bollix. We had more than enough chances to kill this tie at home and didn't take them and Liverpool are missing more first teamers from their best eleven than we are. Missing one (admittedly top class) player from tomorrow nights squad will not be the reason we don't get through to the final against a weakened Liverpool side in a poor run of form.

Not from last night's squad, but we are also missing Austin, Davis, Boufal, McCarthy, Targetttt, Pied, Hesketh.

Not from last night's squad, but we are also missing Austin, Davis, Boufal, McCarthy, Targetttt, Pied, Hesketh.

Realistically though only Davis was possible to play (and still might) the second leg tomorrow the others have been injured for months or in Boufal's case if fit would have missed the game anyway. Liverpool have by the looks of it lost Clyne, Coutinho and Mane.

Realistically though only Davis was possible to play (and still might) the second leg tomorrow the others have been injured for months or in Boufal's case if fit would have missed the game anyway. Liverpool have by the looks of it lost Clyne, Coutinho and Mane.

happy with that,

also, do they not have to play Chelsea this weekend?

He was 16 when he was signed. Academy certainly includes under 18s, so yes he does count as Academy, even though he was originally at Argyle. Promoted to first team at same time as Shaw, Ward-Prowse and Chambers. Difficult for central defenders to break through at the same age as wingers, full backs and midfielders. Forgot he made his first team debut 5 years ago though. I think only Pele has won a World Cup aged 17, he was somewhat special, and was closer to 18 when he actually won it (Norman Whiteside was younger when he played in the Finals)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/18176183

Just looked it up as the linked article says he was 18 at that time. He signed for us when he was 17 and two months. IMO it's a bit loose to call him an academy product but then again you can choose what country you play for if you have been there once these days so why not! Lol.

The similarity with January 1979 is spooky….won the home leg 1-0; away to a northern team starting with L; and a big freeze on (there was snow at Ellland Rd for those who went). Who then will be the 2017 version of Steve Williams and Nick Holmes??

1979 though the away leg was first.

There isn't a big freeze on.

But hopefully we will still win.

They are major losses. and gives me positive vibes.

Just looked it up as the linked article says he was 18 at that time. He signed for us when he was 17 and two months. IMO it's a bit loose to call him an academy product but then again you can choose what country you play for if you have been there once these days so why not! Lol.

You're right, sorry, he was 17 (born 27 Jan 1994, signed 5 Apr 2011), my brain doesn't work any more, going senile :-)

I must be a rubbish fan I go once or twice a season and have attended away games sat in a seat and not singing sorry everyone I know how much my lack of commitment effects the club. Plus points I did watch an academy side featuring jay Lucas in the fa youth cup in Derby, was there for the dire game at Sheffield united when Lancashire got sent off after sbout 5 minutes and enjoyed the 'pleasure' of our more committed fans yelling racist crap at akinori nishisawa in Bolton the same night keleber Chaka was seen wearing a saints shirt running up and down the touch line!

Ooh Almost forgot I saw Sarmiento's debut at Notts county what a game that was, I don't go often but I don't go for the glory of a cup semi final but then I don't sing so might as well not go anyway lol

Classic Glasgow I guess.

Well seeing as the Leicester game was the first of the season to reduce squad rotation this point is rubbish . But you already know that

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk