VVD Out for 2-3 Months

Saint Garrett

I honestly don't think this rumour is true.

I believe that he is going to be given a late fitness test today. If he was out for 3 months as of last night, the club would have announced it along with the Oriol Romeu contract extension that was announced late last night.

Never believe speculation. Wait for the club to announce! You know what the papers are like about us. Build up to a semi final 2nd leg - that'll be 'big news' to them lot, but we know different :)

If he was out for 3 months as of last night, the club would have announced it

I would say the opposite. We tend to get very little news from the club these days when someone has a long term injury or is taking ages to regain fitness.

Exhibit A m'lud...... recent examples: Gardos, JRod & McCarthy.

I would say the opposite. We tend to get very little news from the club these days when someone has a long term injury or is taking ages to regain fitness.

Steven Davis recent injury to originally it wasn't supposed to be serious but he hasn't been seen since.

Add to the fact the club probably don't want to advertise they are (even more) desperate to buy a CB to prospective clubs...

Was really concerned at the time when this happened - VVD just seems invincible, so for him to have gone off, you know it must have been a bad one.

F*ck you Vardy, you WKD drinking c*nt.

I believe that he is going to be given a late fitness test today. If he was out for 3 months as of last night, the club would have announced it along with the Oriol Romeu contract extension that was announced late last night.

Never believe speculation. Wait for the club to announce! You know what the papers are like about us. Build up to a semi final 2nd leg - that'll be 'big news' to them lot, but we know different :)

Not necessarily, players can get injuries that take a while to figure out but eventually keep them out for weeks\months. Not every diagnosis is straightforward I'm afraid.

Let's hope he's not injured as we all know how important he is to us but we really won't know either way until we get an announcement.

I certainly don't trust the media, they rely on gossip and heresay. They might be right but then they may be just as equally wrong.

Generally the papers are right when it comes to us tbf.....

Only bit of hope i'm clinging onto is it's only come from the sun and some random guy on twitter... if it was a more respectable paper, i'd be a lot more concerned...

Guan or K.Billy...... please please please come out of retirement and put this to bed :(

Have to agree that if the Club assumed Stephens (rookie) Gardos (hasn't played for years) and Yoshida (not bad, but not great) would be adequate replacement and back up for a Euro winner leaving, then it is folly. Brought into sharper focus now that the defensive leader, (official) new Captain and best player in the team by a long way may be looking at a period of time on the sidelines. We all hope he isn't injured too badly, but one thing is for sure, we are fragile at the back without our main man and probably only up to the level of a decent Championship standard with the remaining CB's. That is a worry for the rest of the season.

Bloody hell, we sold Fonte because he was waining quite rapidly.

Keep a grip...

Rat-faced little c**t

This. Can't stand Vardy anyway but now he's responsible for this he could be added to the list of Saints fans most hated players of all time.

If there's any justice Leicester will go down and stuck paying him 100k per week in the championship.

The behaviour of Fonte and handling of the situation was disappointing and is about to be made even worse if Van Dijk is out.

We're not having much luck at the moment, going into a semi final 2nd leg in the lead but without our top scorer who is out for months, our record signing who is injured as well but would have been at AFCON anyway and missing our best player in Van Dijk.

I can't stand Liverpool so not looking forward to tonight now.

Am I right in thinking that the Sun is the ONLY publication to have run with this story so far? And this was after a spoof SSN Twitter feed posted it?

If no other national newspaper, or the Echo, has run with a "out for three months" line some 18 hours after the original tweet, I reckon we can safely assume that someone at the Sun will be feeling rather embarrassed this morning.

Am I right in thinking that the Sun is the ONLY publication to have run with this story so far? And this was after a spoof SSN Twitter feed posted it?

If no other national newspaper, or the Echo, has run with a "out for three months" line some 18 hours after the original tweet, I reckon we can safely assume that someone at the Sun will be feeling rather embarrassed this morning.

Any other link that I have seen reporting it have basically copied The Sun's article form last night.

If they wanted people in Liverpool to read it, they should have picked a different newspaper...!

in fairness they use a number of other papers for a good PR spin... Unlikely they would want to pi5s off one of their trusted news outlets.

Find it strange that the Sun are the only ones to run with it though (would have thought SSN would have been all over it, given the coverage of the game tonight).

Maybe they are the only ones stupid enough to take stuff off twitter!

Bertrand at CB, McQueen takes Bertrand's spot.

Maybe switch to this if Stephens is struggling - feel like we're better starting off with Bertrand in his strongest position and hope that Jack can perform. Bertrand carries a good attacking threat as well, we don't want to take a totally negative approach and invite them on, will be asking for trouble

Maybe switch to this if Stephens is struggling - feel like we're better starting off with Bertrand in his strongest position and hope that Jack can perform. Bertrand carries a good attacking threat as well, we don't want to take a totally negative approach and invite them on, will be asking for trouble

McQueen is arguably more of an attacking full back than Bertrand IMO. Think this game is too big for Stephens as he just hasn't had enough minutes. Need Bertrand's experience at CB and McQueen has played some pretty big games in his short career so won't be fazed. Think Puel will start Stephens though.

If VVD is out, this is my option too.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I'm not so sure. As someone else said, why weaken 2 positions when we only need to weaken 1? Stephens actually has a lot of football under his belt (arguably more than McQueen did when he started against Inter Milan) and I'd trust him to do a job. Cedric and Redmond may have to be briefed to give more defensively as Liverpool will obviously target him, but I'm confident in our defence with Romeu supporting the back line.

You've quoted Les there, but I don't think he ever said what you have written.

Quote was as follows:

“He certainly won’t leave on the basis that he can just go. We would not consider releasing him unless there was a decent transfer fee and secondly that we were in a position to replace him. If anybody comes along on the last day of the transfer window it’s not going to happen."

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/15005184.Fonte_asks_to_leave_Saints/

Quote was as follows:

“He certainly won’t leave on the basis that he can just go. We would not consider releasing him unless there was a decent transfer fee and secondly that we were in a position to replace him. If anybody comes along on the last day of the transfer window it’s not going to happen."

If he is talking first team he will always argue that Yoshi is in a position to replace him, or Stephens. Even though we all know originally he meant an external player.

Quote was as follows:

So technically he hasn't lied. We received a decent fee, it wasn't on the last day of the transfer window and we are in a position to replace him. The question is will we?

Quote was as follows:

I don't think there is any point arguing over this, nor in defending Les. If VVD is out for the semi and we don't get to Wembley as a result then Uncle Les has really dropped a clanger. Has anyone considered what happens if Yoshi or Stephens pick up a knock?!?!?! Say first 20min in the semi :scared:

And the semi is only one aspect of this, we have been very poor of late and have been relying on our defence quite often to get points.

Stephens is a good lad, but its a trial by fire for him tomorrow! Here is to hoping we have another Gem coming through. I guess he's in a win win situation himself, everyone will fear the worst, he gets to start a cup final, and he has an opportunity to really make a name for himself - because certainly there will be a lot of eyes on the untested youngster!!

If he is talking first team he will always argue that Yoshi is in a position to replace him, or Stephens. Even though we all know originally he meant an external player.

That doesn't make any sense either. Reed also pointed out he wouldn't let Fonte go if it was on the last of the window. If we're replacing from within, it doesn't matter when a player leaves - the replacement is already in place.

As such Reed clearly meant an external player: but being in a position to replace a player is not the same as actually bringing a player in. 'Being in a position' speaks only to the opportunity to replace the player e.g. having enough time to get a deal done for a replacement. Whether we do so is another matter. It may happen but it doesn't logically or automatically follow from Reed's statement.

Edited by shurlock

IF he has broken a bone, IF, then it doesn't say much for our physio's that ran on the pitch right after the initial stamp. They gave the foot a thorough once over, put his boot back on and told him to run it off. Surely trained and skilled medics would of identified something as serious as a break and got him off there and then to avoid further damage?

IF he has broken a bone, IF, then it doesn't say much for our physio's that ran on the pitch right after the initial stamp. They gave the foot a thorough once over, put his boot back on and told him to run it off. Surely trained and skilled medics would of identified something as serious as a break and got him off there and then to avoid further damage?

If it is a hairline/stress fracture then its almost impossible to tell without (or, in some cases with) an X-Ray. In fairness to the physios he wouldn't even have shown the secondary symptoms of a stress fracture straight away (swelling, pain to the touch in a localised area) and in most cases you would be able to run off a kick to the top of the foot/ankle.

I don't think there is any point arguing over this, nor in defending Les. If VVD is out for the semi and we don't get to Wembley as a result then Uncle Les has really dropped a clanger. Has anyone considered what happens if Yoshi or Stephens pick up a knock?!?!?! Say first 20min in the semi :scared:

And the semi is only one aspect of this, we have been very poor of late and have been relying on our defence quite often to get points.

Stephens is a good lad, but its a trial by fire for him tomorrow! Here is to hoping we have another Gem coming through. I guess he's in a win win situation himself, everyone will fear the worst, he gets to start a cup final, and he has an opportunity to really make a name for himself - because certainly there will be a lot of eyes on the untested youngster!!

If we don't get to the final it won't be down to missing VVD tonight as much as the usual dribbling Muppets want it to be all Les's fault. This semi final should already been done and dusted we had had more than enough chances in the first leg to put this tie out of sight and we didn't take them.

If we don't get to the final it won't be down to missing VVD tonight as much as the usual dribbling Muppets want it to be all Les's fault. This semi final should already been done and dusted we had had more than enough chances in the first leg to put this tie out of sight and we didn't take them.

This. Redmond's clear chances alone would have been enough for us to have been resting players tonight to keep them fresh for the weekend.