Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

10 minutes ago, TWar said:

Sign someone cheap and young, preferably can cover LB or RB too. Maybe even a loan. Bednarek and Salisu should be our starters next season really, we have far bigger holes than to try and upgrade on that.

We 1000% need to replace JV with a first choice defender. He has arguably been our best defender since project restart and that's really not saying much considering how pants our defence has been the last 2 seasons.

You were saying on another thread how we need to improve defensively, starting Bednarek and Salisu next season with a cheap or loan signing to replace JV is not the way to do that.

• Like 2

Just now, captainchris said:

God, I’m not sure where the trust in Bednarek comes from, he is just not good enough, Vesty is quite a bit better than he is….

Vest has been better, just about, this season but Bednarek has been much better over the course of the last couple of years. Bednarek is a fine player, nothing special, but he will do. If Salisu is an upgrade on Vest which I think he is defensively then we are already better off than last season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Vest has been better, just about, this season but Bednarek has been much better over the course of the last couple of years. Bednarek is a fine player, nothing special, but he will do. If Salisu is an upgrade on Vest which I think he is defensively then we are already better off than last season.

Sorry but just no…. He constantly loses his man and resorts to last ditch tackles or conceding.

Not good enough for a first choice CH.

3 minutes ago, captainchris said:

God, I’m not sure where the trust in Bednarek comes from, he is just not good enough, Vesty is quite a bit better than he is….

Bednarek was shredded a bit by the appalling planning last summer having only one RB when KWP and then Diallo got injured, his confidence really nosedived. Back at CB he is lower-mid table PL standard and that’s where SFC are. Salisu as first choice, Jan, Jack and new competition are fine. Vesty is a good footballer but too slow for RH’s system. Jan isn’t quick but Vesty is glacial. 

Jv to Spurs pays for that. Danny less worried about, would rather he wound down his deal and we had him available, provided we sign Armstrong this summer. If those two and Adams are in form, extra place monies help towards new players next year as well as staying up.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

I don’t rate Bednerak at all, to be honest. A Yoshida type player. Not good enough to start and should be our 3rd choice cover. 

It shows how far we’ve regressed in that he’s probably one of the first names on the team sheet. 

Im not all that bothered by Vestergaard going. He’s had half a good season whilst he’s been here and I think Salisu has more about him. He’d naturally command a higher fee than Bednerak and plays on the left hand side (where Salisu will step in) so wouldn’t be a huge loss. 

Ideally, we’d shift both and significantly upgrade our right sided CB options. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Sorry but just no…. He constantly loses his man and resorts to last ditch tackles or conceding.

Not good enough for a first choice CH.

He may not be next season but covering RB did hurt his game. He may be better again although Poland’s Euro displays probably didn’t help…

Vesty and Salisu are both largely left footed so that’s why RH didn’t play them in tandem much. Jan and Jack are better when they have competition and the club are likely to sign a player that will start as 4th choice like Jan, Salisu were. The savings on wages and fee go towards Adam Armstrong I would think. Don’t forget, quite a few are already off the wage bill with interest in Lemina etc so that probably helped with Perraud plus Ryan would have been on c£75k p/w. 

3 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

Bednarek was shredded a bit by the appalling planning last summer having only one RB when KWP and then Diallo got injured, his confidence really nosedived. Back at CB he is lower-mid table PL standard and that’s where SFC are. Salisu as first choice, Jan, Jack and new competition are fine. Vesty is a good footballer but too slow for RH’s system. Jan isn’t quick but Vesty is glacial. 

Jv to Spurs pays for that. Danny less worried about, would rather he wound down his deal and we had him available, provided we sign Armstrong this summer. If those two and Adams are in form, extra place monies help towards new players next year as well as staying up.

Agreed.

I expect Vesty's probable departure is why we have been trying to get Saliba on loan. Unfortunately, looks like he will be heading to France for the year. But a back 4 of KWP-Saliba-Salisu-Perraut would at least be very mobile.

Still don't get why many people think we will sell Ings for £20m. Sounds like £20m is the least we are asking for Vest. No way we will price both of them the same. Huge difference between the two. We shouldn't sell Ings for any less than £40m this summer; maybe take £25m for him in January, if we must. Would be happy for us to let him do a Bertrand and leave for free next season. Just use the Vest money to bring Armstrong in and give him a year to adjust to the prem.

1 hour ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd be quite happy with Vestergaard going for £25m odd, and us buying a young replacement from Europe for £10m or so.  Get Armstrong in for £10-15m and you're net neutral.

Not sure I have any confidence in Saints investing the money to be honest. 

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Sign someone cheap and young, preferably can cover LB or RB too. Maybe even a loan. Bednarek and Salisu should be our starters next season really, we have far bigger holes than to try and upgrade on that.

It's all so simple when you put it like that isn't it. 🙄

1 minute ago, Suhari said:

Is he better that what we have?

That’s not really the right question. What we should be asking is if we’re better off as a team with him playing intermittently and having to rotate the defence around constantly. I would say no; I’d rather we brought in someone younger and fitter who may not have the same ability but can play pretty much every game, along side preferably Salisu.

1 minute ago, Lighthouse said:

That’s not really the right question. What we should be asking is if we’re better off as a team with him playing intermittently and having to rotate the defence around constantly. I would say no; I’d rather we brought in someone younger and fitter who may not have the same ability but can play pretty much every game, along side preferably Salisu.

The benefit would be his impact on the team around him. I think we'd improve with an experienced Johnny Evans type signing.

As you say: if he couldn't manage a consistent run of games then that value is reduced.

Clearly we'll get someone if JV is off. Will be interesting to see whether it's a young upcoming, or older head that comes in.

5 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

He's missed 13 league games this season but only 4 and 5 in the seasons before that. He's be perfect alongside Salisu. If we get 30 games out of him then that's good and we've got Bednarek and Stephens who can deputise as 3 and 4th choice, which is where they should be. A good senior player at the back to organise and lead those around them is what we've be lacking since Fonte left.

When on song, Vesty gave us a really good way of turning defence into attack. Firstly through the long diagonal to KWP, secondly, the quick ball into midfield and thirdly his ability to bring the ball out himself. Whilst I think Salisu has been promising, certainly defensively - I haven’t seen him do this and wonder if it’s in his locker?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

I always wondered whether the talk of signing Guehi at Chelsea was 'Plan A' if we lose Vestergaard?

I know that this does have some legs (not the "Plan A" part, I've no idea of that as I've no connections in the club and never have had).  Only in the sense that we are presumably putting out messages of interest to several other players in that position in the background as well as Marc to see what comes back, but he is on our radar (no idea if that's 1st choice, 100th choice or what and you'd assume we would be keeping track of someone like him coming up through the ranks at other clubs all the time).

4 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He wouldn’t come here, I wouldn’t want him.

I'd have him. He's a great player and an upgrade on anything we have. 

Edited by egg

23 minutes ago, egg said:

If the £1m a month wages in the tweet are correct, I wouldn't want him. If his wages were more realistic, I'd have him. He's a great player and an upgrade on anything we have. 

I don't believe that was saying he was on £1m a month, it was saying that you can subscribe to the athletic for £1 per month. 

Blimey, I can only think anyone saying Bednarek is fine starting for us didn't see us play much last season. He's an absolute plodder and should be third choice at best.

I would be mildly disappointed if Vesty was sold but we've kind of been expecting it, and if it gives us some decent funds to help rebuild then so be it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

We need a leader and some experience at the back. We’ve enough youngsters as it is. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

We need a leader and some experience at the back. We’ve enough youngsters as it is. 

He didn't say a 'youngster'. He said someone younger than Alderweireld. Not the same thing. A 25 year old is younger than Alderweireld, but isn't a 'youngster'.

Edited by Matthew Le God

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

He didn't say a 'youngster'. He said someone younger than Vestergaard. Not the same thing. A 25 year old is younger than Vestergaard, but isn't a 'youngster'.

I actually said someone younger than Toby, who turns 33 this season. Also, I’m not bothered about experience, I just want them to be good. Svensson, Lovren, Toby and VVD all had zero premier league games when they joined us and we’re fantastic. 

1 hour ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I don't believe that was saying he was on £1m a month, it was saying that you can subscribe to the athletic for £1 per month. 

Now that would make sense!! 😂

28 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I actually said someone younger than Toby, who turns 33 this season. Also, I’m not bothered about experience, I just want them to be good. Svensson, Lovren, Toby and VVD all had zero premier league games when they joined us and we’re fantastic. 

I didn’t say anything about premier league experience. All the players you’ve listed were hardened pros, leaders. That’s exactly what we need now. 

2 hours ago, Maya's Dad said:

why are we even talking about alderweirald. doesnt mateer if he would become out best defender, there is zero chance of us signing him full stop.

Because he used to play for us and our fans are obsessed with bringing back old players even when they're past their prime

• Like 2

Feels like the club have accepted that we need to cash in now if we are to evolve the squad.

A good Euro's has added $$ onto his value, so that's a positive. He's not a great defender, let's not miss that fact.

He uses the ball well, he's good with his feet, good in the air. But he has been part of one of the worst defences in our history, for that alone...if we can get good money for him, I won't lose much sleep. Salisu will add a lot more athleticism and pace on the left side.

For all the importance that Vestergaard added to our 'attacking' (in terms of splitting the midfield with his passes), maybe we should try and buy a CM who can do that?

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, S-Clarke said:

Feels like the club have accepted that we need to cash in now if we are to evolve the squad.

A good Euro's has added $$ onto his value, so that's a positive. He's not a great defender, let's not miss that fact.

He uses the ball well, he's good with his feet, good in the air. But he has been part of one of the worst defences in our history, for that a lone...if we can get good money for him, I won't lose much sleep. Salisu will add a lot more athleticism and pace on the left side.

Agreed. We need to get maximum price for him, so cashing in on the back of a decent Euro campaign makes perfect sense. Out of all our likely departures, he's the one I wouldn't be sorry to see go. 

54 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

Samuel Umtiti - not wanted by Koeman at Barca, 27, French international and keen to play with our other French players.  OK I made the last one up.  And, like Toby, unlikely to want to come to a relegation scrap here.

About as likely to be fit as Sam McQueen. No thanks.

22 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Agreed. We need to get maximum price for him, so cashing in on the back of a decent Euro campaign makes perfect sense. Out of all our likely departures, he's the one I wouldn't be sorry to see go. 

For all the shit Bednarek has been getting lately, he has outperformed Vestergaard for most of the 3 years they have been together. Played well for about half a season out of 3, he was even looking like an Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Lemina level flop this time last year, really not fussed about him leaving.

5 minutes ago, Cartman said:

About as likely to be fit as Sam McQueen. No thanks.

For all the shit Bednarek has been getting lately, he has outperformed Vestergaard for most of the 3 years they have been together. Played well for about half a season out of 3, he was even looking like an Elyounoussi, Hoedt, Lemina level flop this time last year, really not fussed about him leaving.

I think Bednarek has developed under Ralph, but he's still a pretty average centre back who is prone to absolute calamities - but he's about our level. The thing I've always felt uncomfortable about is the lack of pace around him, he needs quick players to cover for him - especially when he comes forward. Vestegaard is slower than me. So in a round about way I expect our defence to be better next year than this year. And potentially £20m richer if we do cash in on Jannik. (which I'd use to bring in attacking players, with a loan to come in and become a cover CB)

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

a loan to come in and become a cover CB

It is a hard sale to potential clubs and players to join on loan and be a back up centre back. Normally the purpose of a loan is to significantly increase playing time. Of course being 3rd or 4th choice CB will still get dome gametime, but potentially not a lot if the first choices stay fit as it isn't a position often rotated.

Edited by Matthew Le God

He would be a big loss for two main reasons:

1. His diagonal to KWP was one of our only attacking threats in the second half of the season and Bednarek nor Salisu are technically anywhere near his level to begin to replicate that.

2. He would be massively missed from set plays in both boxes, whichbwe had a good record in last season. We have very few aerial threats which is a shame given JWP delivery and JV is by miles the most threatening. Without JV and Ings near post runs we wouldn't look like scoring a header from a corner.

Agree Salisu looks like he could slot in well, but he certainly won't be able to replicate #1 and havent seen much evidence of #2 either - he is a different type of defender.

Edited by Dusic

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

1. His diagonal to KWP was one of our only attacking threats in the second half of the season and Bednarek nor Salisu are technically anywhere near his level to begin to replicate that.

2. He would be massively missed from set plays in both boxes, whichbwe had a good record in last season. We have very few aerial threats which is a shame given JWP delivery and JV is by miles the most threatening. Without JV and Ings near post runs we wouldn't look like scoring a header from a corner.

Agree Salisu looks like he could slot in well, but he certainly won't be able to replicate #1 and havent seen much evidence of #2 either - he is a different type of defender.

Wouldn't make much difference at corners, JWP will leave as well!

4 minutes ago, Dusic said:

But his primary role should be as a defender, not being a key cog in our attacking play. I'm not denying that he has been key to our attacking approach, as he has been - especially during the start of last season, he was often our out ball either spreading it or splitting the opposition midfield. But my argument is that players in the middle of the park and attacking third should be the ones doing that, not our CB. The CB's goal is to defend, something which he has struggled to do.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Interesting to see how this plays out. 

Spurs certainly liked him before (unsure if that was just Jose) & seem to be going for Takehiro Tomiyasu at Bologna.  They've also been heavily linked with Joachim Andersen.  Doubt they'll sign 3.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Interesting to see how this plays out. 

Spurs certainly liked him before (unsure if that was just Jose) & seem to be going for Takehiro Tomiyasu at Bologna.  They've also been heavily linked with Joachim Andersen.  Doubt they'll sign 3.

Swap for Dele Ali? 

5 hours ago, Saint Mikey said:

When on song, Vesty gave us a really good way of turning defence into attack. Firstly through the long diagonal to KWP, secondly, the quick ball into midfield and thirdly his ability to bring the ball out himself. Whilst I think Salisu has been promising, certainly defensively - I haven’t seen him do this and wonder if it’s in his locker?

very good point. You can add in his ability to bring the ball down, composure on the ball and willingness to play rather than smack it clear. Slow as fuck, but if he had pace he's be worth £80m. Salisu is a completely different type and doesn't have any of that.

• Like 1

On 01/10/2018 at 16:44, Nordic Saint said:

He doesn't have the quickness of feet you need for the Premier League. No amount of coaching from our brilliant first team coaches is going to change that. Another 20 million + wasted because, like Carrillo, he is simply too slow for the PL. That was known before we bought him, which is a shocking indictment of our current recruitment team.

Seeing posts about Bednarek and Salisu is like reading 2018 Vestergaard posts.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester