Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

Watching some analysis on Perraud it seems he is an excellent switcher of the ball and can play diagonal passes like Vestergaard. I wonder if having this in his locker would negate losing that ball playing ability that Vestergaard clearly has over Salisu.

Playing LB, Perraud isn’t going to always be in the best position to do it though. But the better defensive quality and pace of Salisu will also help with the way we play. He’s also only going to get better and needs games.

Also having 2x FBs that can get up the pitch and great chances might mean a CB with more pace and 1v1 ability is more important to us than Vestergaard’s ball playing. He’s so slow and when left exposed we struggle.

This time last year nobody expected Vestergaard to be a first choice with Stephens and Bednarek ending the season before last so well. Salisu was signed as the improvement. I think it’s time with 1 year left and a good Euros to cash in here and back Salisu. Don’t think it will hurt us overall.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Watching some analysis on Perraud it seems he is an excellent switcher of the ball and can play diagonal passes like Vestergaard. I wonder if having this in his locker would negate losing that ball playing ability that Vestergaard clearly has over Salisu.

Playing LB, Perraud isn’t going to always be in the best position to do it though. But the better defensive quality and pace of Salisu will also help with the way we play. He’s also only going to get better and needs games.

Also having 2x FBs that can get up the pitch and great chances might mean a CB with more pace and 1v1 ability is more important to us than Vestergaard’s ball playing. He’s so slow and when left exposed we struggle.

This time last year nobody expected Vestergaard to be a first choice with Stephens and Bednarek ending the season before last so well. Salisu was signed as the improvement. I think it’s time with 1 year left and a good Euros to cash in here and back Salisu. Don’t think it will hurt us overall.

Totally agree with this.

I would also hope to get a stronger and faster centre back replacement as Bednarek and Stephens will not be suitable to cover the attacking wing backs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Nice one Danny..............

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Ain’t that the truth. Mind you if he gets torn apart by Kane and co. tonight he probably won’t be going anywhere.

Win win for us, torn apart = stays , outstanding = +10m on price 🙂

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beatlesaint said:

Ain’t that the truth. Mind you if he gets torn apart by Kane and co. tonight he probably won’t be going anywhere.

It depends who he is paired with. If Salisu was right footed, the partnership could work as it could with any decent DCR with recovery pace. The reason he got exposed is although Jan is right footed, he is quite slow himself and his game reading varies, hence the late challenges and interceptions. This was OK when Rom protected them but you could cut through the spine of the team like a hot knife through butter after the injury at Leeds. Vesty is a very good footballer, reads the game well and great in the air but always a risk of getting caught with the ball high up under RH’s system. In another environment he could work very well and as he’s never had pace he should have plenty of mileage left. As someone else posted, give him pace and you have nearing VVD level pre ACL. 

2 hours ago, Master Bates said:

There's something very embarrassing and smalltime about comparing Mount for them to Vestergaard for us, as if having a top player support you as a kid is the same as having one play for you right now. They are like "pompey aren't posting about Mount" and it's like, why would they?

Some absolute melts with regards to this tweet anyway, team wishes their player good luck, big deal.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why are they angry?

They wont be angry, that'll be newspaper headline drama. They'll just think it's weird that an English premier league club are wishing a Danish defender well (who is probably leaving) in a massive game against England and they're right, it is.

Edited by Turkish

4 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why are they angry?

Because they see it as not supporting England. Presumably if Denmark win every Danish player who plays in England must be extradited immediately and not have any tea before they go. 

Saints merely tweeted “Do your thing” about him which can be taken two ways given some of his performances in the past. If he does “that thing” England are nailed on to win.

Edited by beatlesaint
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, Turkish said:

They'll just think it's weird that an English premier league club are wishing a Danish defender well

Because he is one of their players and is employed by the club...

It's pretty obvious if you think about it.

10 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Why are they angry?

Striving for relevance. Pompey fans haven't supported an even remotely relevant team in over a decade, they are pathetically small scale. In order to still feel important they live vicariously through us by obsessing about us and rooting against us as a way of still having stake in football at a higher level.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, TWar said:

Because he is one of their players and is employed by the club...

It's pretty obvious if you think about it.

A club in England wishing a player for our opponents to do well on the day of a massive game is absolutely stupid.

It's not an internal email wishing a colleague well, its a public announcement.

Really dopey from the club.

It's pretty obvious when you think about it.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, CB Fry said:

A club in England wishing a player for our opponents to do well on the day of a massive game is absolutely stupid.

It's not an internal email wishing a colleague well, its a public announcement.

Really dopey from the club.

It's pretty obvious when you think about it.

He is their player, it's fine for them to wish him well. They didn't explicitly say they wanted him to win or England to lose, they just passed on sporting best wishes to an employee. The reaction to this from people saying "but what about England" is what is really embarrassing. I've never seen so many people get wound up by something that matters so little.

• Like 9

12 minutes ago, TWar said:

He is their player, it's fine for them to wish him well. They didn't explicitly say they wanted him to win or England to lose, they just passed on sporting best wishes to an employee. The reaction to this from people saying "but what about England" is what is really embarrassing. I've never seen so many people get wound up by something that matters so little.

Stick to statistical analytics mate.

Wishing our own player well doesn't explicitly mean we want his team to knock England out.

It's perfectly possible (in fact, very likely) that the club would like to see (a) JV to have a decent game and give a good account of himself in a semi final of a major international tournament, and (b) Denmark to still lose.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Wishing our own player well doesn't explicitly mean we want his team to knock England out.

It's perfectly possible (in fact, very likely) that the club would like to see (a) JV to have a decent game and give a good account of himself in a semi final of a major international tournament, and (b) Denmark to still lose.

Indeed. It's almost as if the people pouring scorn on the club's tweet aren't intelligent enough to avoid the non-sequitur... 

#mountain #molehill #storm #teacup

Edited by trousers
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Just now, trousers said:

Indeed. It's almost as if the people pouring scorn on the club's tweet aren't intelligent enough to avoid the non-sequitur... 

Not really.

There are a million different messages and a million different tweets they could have sent. And the option not say anything at all also exists.

You make it sound like that message was the only option they had and how dare anyone question it.

12 minutes ago, trousers said:

Always apply the rule of broadcasting tweets to the thickest / most idiotic people (the lowest common denominator) to avoid doubt! :toppa:

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, trousers said:

It’s almost like the people who shrug their shoulders at it aren’t intelligent enough to understand why it’s a bit of a stupid thing to do

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Did he get injured or was it just a case of them lobbing another striker on?

I lost track of what was going on with Denmark's team because of the appalling commentary. 

Yes agree Matt Shutthefuckupafacejust talks shit for the sake of saying something stupidly irrelevant and just plain crap.Cant wait for the BBC on sunday.

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Fairly sure Vest wasn't mentioned once last night as a Southampton player. Seemed odd to me.

He played pretty well I thought, but Maguire in particular highlighted his shortcomings in terms of agility.

I thought he was very poor last night and very clumsy in tackles. He really isn't very good at all when you see him at this level. A very limited player, surely we can do much better than this. If Spurs really do offer £20m for him - which I doubt very much will happen - then grab the money before he changes his mind. Salisu can hardly be any worse can he?

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Fairly sure Vest wasn't mentioned once last night as a Southampton player. Seemed odd to me.

He played pretty well I thought, but Maguire in particular highlighted his shortcomings in terms of agility.

Commentator is a skate isn’t he? Probably upset that Saints wished him luck !!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Commentator is a skate isn’t he? Probably upset that Saints wished him luck !!

Tbf, he’s a Chelsea fan but covered the skates when he worked at a radio station down there and blows their trumpet. He’s a shit commentator all the same.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I thought he was very poor last night and very clumsy in tackles. He really isn't very good at all when you see him at this level. A very limited player, surely we can do much better than this. If Spurs really do offer £20m for him - which I doubt very much will happen - then grab the money before he changes his mind. Salisu can hardly be any worse can he?

Yeah, he is very limited indeed and when I say that he played pretty well it’s by his own standards and not others on the pitch. In fairness, he showed a few decent bits of creativity at times and didn’t embarrass himself.

LCFC were in the same boat as us last night - no one in the England squad but they had Kasper Schmeichel whilst we had Vestegaard. This is what they tweeted:

image.png.65591970aad7a13ab9cdf6c80370e5ad.png

image.png.d3883e7848da90b042ddc8c85ac00c73.png

I would say better than "Do your thing, @JVestergaard7 ❤️"

5 minutes ago, nta786 said:

LCFC were in the same boat as us last night - no one in the England squad but they had Kasper Schmeichel whilst we had Vestegaard. This is what they tweeted:

image.png.65591970aad7a13ab9cdf6c80370e5ad.png

image.png.d3883e7848da90b042ddc8c85ac00c73.png

I would say better than "Do your thing, @JVestergaard7 ❤️"

Quite. Nice job.

3 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

I thought he played okay, too, last night. Clearly following the manager's tactics. A bit unfair to compare with Maguire, who did cost £80m!

• Like 3

Mad to think how much his level has increased between how he was when he first joined us to how he is playing now.

Makes it more of a shame that we will probably just about get our money back for him and little more.

2 hours ago, Piran said:

I thought he played okay, too, last night. Clearly following the manager's tactics. A bit unfair to compare with Maguire, who did cost £80m!

I thought he was better than alright, playing on the left of a three/five - isn't that how Nuno likes to set up?

He made some excellent passes, both long diagonals and through the middle, he also brought the ball out well a couple of times.

Edited by SaveloyMush
  • Like 2

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester