Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

Its a real shame how badly run our club became in the latter years of Reed's tenureship. So much money wasted on bad signings and managers, then when things finally come good we either don't have the funds to capitalise, or the players are already on the move. Just a shame no one will offer us decent money for Redmond...

At least recruitment seems to have be getting better in recent years - and in Ralph we trust (well most of us anyway).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9447519/Tottenham-identify-Southampton-defender-Jannik-Vestergaard-key-summer-transfer-target.html#comments

A story as old as time. Saints let a good player's contract run down, Levy gets a whiff, the tapping commences, and...

But they aren’t are they we are trying to renew it so how are we letting it run down?

This time last year would you have wanted us to renew it?

35 minutes ago, Give it to Ron said:

But they aren’t are they we are trying to renew it so how are we letting it run down?

Agreed!

Really like JV, and very much hope he stays put, but of all the players we would have lost, I wouldn't have any hard feelings towards him if he did go.  Some of the stick he received from our fan base prior to this season was savage so we'd have no right to play the 'loyalty' card.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

That's the rub. Vestergaard has timed it perfectly to suddenly start showing Premier League quality. Before this season, he was absolutely mince and we'd have been lucky to sell him for parts. And now, with a year on his contract, he holds all the aces. Not sure the club could've predicted his remarkable resurgence.

Hopefully he'll stay on, but if he takes advantage of his situation, you can't really blame him. It's a short career.

• Like 2

On 13/03/2021 at 18:20, Lee On Solent Saint said:

PEH has probably been telling him how amazing it is at Spuds

It all sounds a bit tenuous at best.

"2 players both International team mates, so one must be joining the other ones club because they both played for the same team in the past".

I've not seen any full-on story on it beyond the usual shit after every international break ahead of a summer window and even if it's true, Vestergaard would be stupid to go there of all places, he's prone to mistakes and I reckon he'll get a pass for about 3 mistakes before their dickhead fans are on his case.

He'd be better off going to Leicester City or something. Not Spurs.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, qwertyell said:

Hopefully he'll stay on, but if he takes advantage of his situation, you can't really blame him. It's a short career.

Short career? Why do people say that?

Most players by the time they retire they'd have done a 20 year shift. That's more than you'd retire on doing National Service on a full pension, except they'd be multi-millionaires several times over.

I’ve liked the look of Joachim Andersen, maybe he’s an option if Fulham do go down. Lyon wanting 25m apparently 😏

or could we tempt Alfie Jones back from Hull? He’s a bit in and out of the league one side just now, but recall the forum “experts” were certain about his EPL potential 😆😆

8 hours ago, skintsaint said:

We will miss his passing out of defence but to be honest his defending is a bit suss, generally due to his lack of pace. He is part of one of the worst defences in the league so could be upgraded I'm sure if we get a fair price for him.

Salisu would likely replace him in the starting XI. With possibly another young player coming in to take us back up to 4 centre backs.

If he were to be sold I'd like to see us find a more experienced ball playing centre back to replace him.  Perhaps we could do something like Leicester did when they picked up Johnny Evans at the age of 30 from WBA following relegation in 2018.  I think calm older pro would give us a great balance of youthful energy and exprience at CB.

Edited by Alanh

Vestergaard has been really key to our attack, finding KWP with long diagonals, but I think our reliance on that might betray the fact we lack other attacking outlets. Aside from his long ball ability I think Salisu should be able to step up, is much younger, and being left footed is probably a more valuable asset long-term. I suspect we sell Vest for £20m or so and put it in the pot to buy a cracking lb, forward, and attacking mid, and then buy a young kid who can be both 4th choice cb and 2nd choice of one of the fullback roles.

1 minute ago, TWar said:

Then buy a young kid who can be both 4th choice cb and 2nd choice of one of the fullback roles.

I doubt it. Hasenhuttl has claimed throughout he wants two players for each position, so them doubling up doesn't achieve that. Plus attacking fullbacks generally aren't suitable to be centre backs. Williams for example who we apparently want isn't suitable to play as a centre back.

20 minutes ago, TWar said:

Vestergaard has been really key to our attack, finding KWP with long diagonals, but I think our reliance on that might betray the fact we lack other attacking outlets. Aside from his long ball ability I think Salisu should be able to step up, is much younger, and being left footed is probably a more valuable asset long-term. I suspect we sell Vest for £20m or so and put it in the pot to buy a cracking lb, forward, and attacking mid, and then buy a young kid who can be both 4th choice cb and 2nd choice of one of the fullback roles.

I don’t think we’d get 20m for him. Especially given that’s the rough figure quoted for ings. 

I suspect we’ll get anywhere from 10-15m for him with only a year left on his contract and the current covid world. 

If he went to Tottenham, I wouldn’t be too surprised if it was a player / cash deal like PEH.

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

If he went to Tottenham, I wouldn’t be too surprised if it was a player / cash deal like PEH.

Hojbjerg and Walker-Peters deals were done separately. It was not a swap deal despite what some Spurs fans think.

Edited by Matthew Le God

4 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Hojbjerg and Walker-Peters deals were done separately. It was not a swap deal despite what some Spurs fans think.

No, but couldn't have harmed. Some would even stretch to 'sweetener'.

Who would we want coming from them this time?

Son would be nice...

😉

1 hour ago, cloggy saint said:

That's 2 more mistakes than the dickhead fans here usually allow.

Trust me, fans on here are pretty passive compared to fans of other forums.

My brother in law is a Man United fan and their forum is in meltdown if one of their players scuffs a shot.

My GF's brother is a Spurs fan and the Fighting Cock is fucking savage, this place is pretty fucking passive by comparison, go and look at the Jose Mourinho thread on there, fuck me they're a lynch mob.

Good luck to Janick Vestergaard with that lot.

Edited by JustinSFC
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Another Spurs priority is said to be at centre-back, where they have made inquiries about Bayern Munich's out-of-contract star Jerome Boateng and Southampton's Jannik Vestergaard, among many as they assess the upcoming market.

Source: https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11675/12296538/tottenham-in-hunt-for-new-striker-with-carlos-vinicius-set-for-benfica-return

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Sell for as much as we can get, use Salisu as first choice and bring in a new CB to relegate Bednarek to the bench along with Stephens.

Dream scenario though.

Think i'd agree with that. First half of this season was the only time he's looked good for us (though he was very good over that period) the rest of the time he's looked no better than any other of our other CB's and I think he leaves us open at the back when he goes for dribbles up the pitch he likes to do. Lovely range of passing on him though I will admit.

I like the looks of Salisu so far and i'm not as down on Bednarek or Stephens as others are (particularly Bednarek who while being pretty abject this season was the model of consistency the previous few and can still do a job I feel). Vest also seems like a player other teams are interested in so if we could get a decent price and bring in perhaps a more experienced CB with some good organisational skills i'd be quite happy with that.

I still remember his first game for the club against Derby,  he got caught out badly there and they scored, it was evident from the start that lack of pace would always be a problem for him in this league. 

Vestergaard and bednarek are an awful partnership. Both really gormlus in terms of basic defending. Vestergaard on second and third goals abysmal. Bednarek turning his back on first goal with Bowens initial shot. Then he ran like a sloth trying to chase Rice who isn't particularly quick himself. It was embarrassing all round from both of them today. I would sell whoever can command biggest fee and get new CB to partner salisu. 

Stop any contract negotiations and get rid. I won’t miss him trying to dictate our attacking play nor his poor defending. I’ve  lost count of the number of goals we’ve conceded when the opponent has been totally unmarked in the box.

• Like 2

This forum is pathetic at times. Vestergaard has went from being 'worse than Hoedt' at the start of season, to being easily our best CB around xmas and now following a bad game today (which all players have) hes useless again and we need to get rid.

Currently none of our current CBs are better than Vestergaard, its not even debatable. Bednarek has been particularly poor for large parts of this season, Salisu may be the future but hes still learning and Stephens is average. Im personally hoping he signs a new deal, but if he doesnt and we have to move him on, we need to get the replacement bang on as our other CB options are hardly inspiring

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

This forum is pathetic at times. Vestergaard has went from being 'worse than Hoedt' at the start of season, to being easily our best CB around xmas and now following a bad game today (which all players have) hes useless again and we need to get rid.

Currently none of our current CBs are better than Vestergaard, its not even debatable. Bednarek has been particularly poor for large parts of this season, Salisu may be the future but hes still learning and Stephens is average. Im personally hoping he signs a new deal, but if he doesnt and we have to move him on, we need to get the replacement bang on as our other CB options are hardly inspiring

I take issue with that. Vestergaard has been shit on a regular basis since he returned from injury. No pace, weak in the tackle and bizarrely the tallest player we have yet he gets beaten in the air far too easily. Stephens is extremely limited but at least he actually looks like he is interested

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

I take issue with that. Vestergaard has been shit on a regular basis since he returned from injury. No pace, weak in the tackle and bizarrely the tallest player we have yet he gets beaten in the air far too easily. Stephens is extremely limited but at least he actually looks like he is interested

Vestergaard is a very casual defender, that's in his makeup.

When the going is good he stands out, he looks in control, he looks cool in possession and unflustered. But when the going gets tough he still is as laid back as ever and doesn't seem to change his style, he just continues his laid back ''oh well'' attitude, but the problem is that those Hollywood passes and stupid flicks stop working and actually harm us - but naively he continues oblivious to the problem and never reverts to basics. Pretty much the same as the majority of our squad and that in a nutshell is the problem.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, woodsaint1 said:

Today wasn't the first time he has been awful though. It was just the latest in a line of absymal performances. He was certainly very good last year up to Christmas, was like a new player from the one the season before. But since his injury he has reverted to type. Do you not remember the awful moment that ended up with him being red carded, it may have been rescinded but the error that lead to it was appalling, right out of the Wesley Hoedt drawer. He was shocking against Leeds as well. Its not the forum thats pathetic at times, its Vestegaard. Bring back the player that was playing before Christmas and we have a top class defender, still think he was probably a previously unknown identical twin, and since then he has gone missing again. Today he had to play alongside Calamity Bednarek as well which makes things even worse, we had at least seen an improvement while the back 3 had been Salisu, Vest and Stephens.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester