Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

10 hours ago, Sunglasses Ron said:

Fairly sure Vest wasn't mentioned once last night as a Southampton player. Seemed odd to me.

He played pretty well I thought, but Maguire in particular highlighted his shortcomings in terms of agility.

Yeah, I found that very odd. Matterface though isn't it, proper skate.

It wasn't even a case that he didn't mention players of other clubs, as he was quite freely mentioning the Brentford guys when they came on. He just couldn't bring himself to say it about Vestergaard. Typical bitter/jealous skate. And he's generally an absolute shocking commentator, no idea why he got the top job at ITV. He's one of the worst going.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It wasn't even a case that he didn't mention players of other clubs, as he was quite freely mentioning the Brentford guys when they came on. He just couldn't bring himself to say it about Vestergaard. Typical bitter/jealous skate. And he's generally an absolute shocking commentator, no idea why he got the top job at ITV. He's one of the worst going.

He seemed genuinely confused that the Danes had 10 men, complete and utter fuck up. He only mentioned it at the end and didn’t seem to realise they restarted second period of ET with 10. Unprofessional 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He seemed genuinely confused that the Danes had 10 men, complete and utter fuck up. He only mentioned it at the end and didn’t seem to realise they restarted second period of ET with 10. Unprofessional 

Even then I seem to remember it being referred to as 'a member of Denmark's playing staff' (or something similar) having gone off... a serious WTF moment there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Matterface is the worst of the worst, I’d rather have Tyldesley still. He was a knob about Bednarek in one of the group games, saying he’d scored twice v Man U last season and then went ‘actually one of those was an own goal’. Will watch BBC for the final as although I like listening to Keane, Neville and Wright at HT, I can’t stand listening to Matterface during the game. I don’t watch Dancing on Ice but apparent he is no better on that. 

Not just us saying it either https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-matterface-tyldesley-off-script-euro-2020-final-england https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19428321.itv-commentator-sam-matterface-loses-plot-england-v-denmark/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sam-matterface-commentary-englands-euro-24485791

It's either really hard to be a good co-commentator or some of these people have got fantastic agents.

Who is listening to Murphy and Jenas and thinking they are anything other than painful? It's got to the point where I'd rather have Lawro going off on his weird tangents than them 2. At least he was entertaining, they are just dull and insipid and hardly ever say something that makes you go "oh yeah, glad to get the inside track from an ex pro on that."

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, The Cat said:

It's either really hard to be a good co-commentator or some of these people have got fantastic agents.

Who is listening to Murphy and Jenas and thinking they are anything other than painful? It's got to the point where I'd rather have Lawro going off on his weird tangents than them 2. At least he was entertaining, they are just dull and insipid and hardly ever say something that makes you go "oh yeah, glad to get the inside track from an ex pro on that."

Ally McCoist had been excellent in this tournament

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Turkish said:

He seems to have the right mix of insight and humour while maintaining the excitement of a normal fan. Jenas and Murphy in comparison just sound bored. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

He's excellent. He's been refreshing to listen to.

I can see him getting a gig at BT or Sky for the new season, I think he's wasted on Amazon prime which is where he was stuck for the PL games.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, The Cat said:

He seems to have the right mix of insight and humour while maintaining the excitement of a normal fan. Jenas and Murphy in comparison just sound bored. 

Jenas is alright, one of the better co-coms. I think he's better than the previous we had - Lawro.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I can see him getting a gig at BT or Sky for the new season, I think he's wasted on Amazon prime which is where he was stuck for the PL games.

Yep. If its McCoist and Tyldesley on ITV I'll watch that rather than BBC. Lee Dixon is OK too, and the studio people are decent as well. 

2 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep. If its McCoist and Tyldesley on ITV I'll watch that rather than BBC. Lee Dixon is OK too, and the studio people are decent as well. 

I reckon it is a pretty safe bet that the TV co-commentator for England's first major final for 55 years will not be Ally McCoist.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I reckon it is a pretty safe bet that the TV co-commentator for England's first major final for 55 years will not be Ally McCoist.

You make a very good point 😂

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, egg said:

Roy Keane. decent? You must be kidding. He can't string a sentence together without the help of Mark Pougatch and as for Souness - don't get me started.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Is he not taking over from Big Al at Talksport?

Always thought that was nailed on.

The issue that Vest and Ings are going to face is that, while they both may feel they are capable of playing at a higher level than lower mid-table PL, I don't think either of them are very high on the target list of any of the clubs who could afford to pay them what they think they are worth.

43 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

The issue that Vest and Ings are going to face is that, while they both may feel they are capable of playing at a higher level than lower mid-table PL, I don't think either of them are very high on the target list of any of the clubs who could afford to pay them what they think they are worth.

Vestergaard will have loads of top club options abroad.

I thought Vestergaard was really good against England, stepped into midfield and won a few great tackles to stop England attacks too.

Agree with the feeling towards Sam Matterface though, dreadful. Remember listening to him on TalkSport a few times and thinking how glad I was he doesn’t commentate on TV games, now he’s commentating on the biggest games in my lifetime ffs.

3 hours ago, Suhari said:

Is he not taking over from Big Al at Talksport?

Always thought that was nailed on.

He already has hasn't he?  Brazil only does a couple of days a week on the Talksport Breakfast show, the rest are done by McCoist and Laura Woods.

Edited by once_bitterne
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Vestergaard will have loads of top club options abroad.

What do you mean by top clubs?  There are a handful of huge clubs like Barca and Bayern but apart from those none of the other clubs in La Liga, or the French and German leagues can compete with the wages that PL clubs can pay, even ones like lil ol Saints.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, egg said:

Tyldsley lost the job of top ITV commentator to the awful Matt Sammerface there's zero chance he'll be commentating on Sunday.

18 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Matterface is the worst of the worst, I’d rather have Tyldesley still. He was a knob about Bednarek in one of the group games, saying he’d scored twice v Man U last season and then went ‘actually one of those was an own goal’. Will watch BBC for the final as although I like listening to Keane, Neville and Wright at HT, I can’t stand listening to Matterface during the game. I don’t watch Dancing on Ice but apparent he is no better on that. 

Not just us saying it either https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-matterface-tyldesley-off-script-euro-2020-final-england https://www.thenational.scot/sport/19428321.itv-commentator-sam-matterface-loses-plot-england-v-denmark/

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/sam-matterface-commentary-englands-euro-24485791

reading the the football365 article was quite cathartic. I thought it was just me that can't stand his scripted bollocks. The best part of his commentary is when he shuts up or his co-cmmentator gets a turn.. Sadly he seems to think he is still on the radio, so never lets the viewer just watch what is in font of him.  He has verbal diarrhoea and nothing much he says adds to the enjoyment. 

58 minutes ago, Chez said:

reading the the football365 article was quite cathartic. I thought it was just me that can't stand his scripted bollocks. The best part of his commentary is when he shuts up or his co-cmmentator gets a turn.. Sadly he seems to think he is still on the radio, so never lets the viewer just watch what is in font of him.  He has verbal diarrhoea and nothing much he says adds to the enjoyment. 

He also has an annoying habit of saying a player's name just after they have passed the ball on. What's the point of that?

15 minutes ago, igsey said:

He also has an annoying habit of saying a player's name just after they have passed the ball on. What's the point of that?

He can talk. Boy can he talk, but to be honest that's a step up front some of the ex players employed to `talk', so we should be thankful for that, but sadly nearly all the commentators these days just try to hard to squeeze in every last bit of information they have gathered during their research. Why they think regurgitating info from a players wikapedia page is necessary, I don't know. Just say what you see. We don't need anything more than that. Just a little extra information to reinforce what our own eyes tell us. If we want in depth info we can google it. OK, so the odd stat would be fine, but not a fucking bible of them. I have to mute the panel before and after, but I never thought I might need to mute the commentator. A dodgy stream with a foreign language commentator that I don't understand is actually a comparable experience to to Matterface.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, saint1977 said:

Met him at a wedding once, back when he was only on Sky Sports news and he had a massive massive ego then and was one of the most annoying people I have met. Hopefully that sh*t show of commentary he produced last night might knock him down a peg or two. 

• Like 1

On 09/07/2021 at 03:42, S-Clarke said:

Was mentioned early on “ vestergaaard of Southampton in the Premier League”

On 14/06/2021 at 19:36, Jeremy Corbyn said:

Not sure if mentioned, but apparently we're looking at Ryan Christie from Celtic.  His contract runs out in January for some reason, so would be available very cheap.

23 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Reports of 17 million asked from spurs surely they will snap that up! If he doesn't want to be here then there's not much point letting him leave on a free later, ings situation is different as his goals are the difference between relegation 

I've not had the pleasure of listening to Sam Matterface, but listening to Dead Ringers on Radio 4 they had a sketch featuring a Harry Kane saying the worse thing about the game was  90 minutes and then extra time listening to SM.. So the opinion expressed here seems pretty universal!

1 hour ago, Mr X said:

Reports of 17 million asked from spurs surely they will snap that up! If he doesn't want to be here then there's not much point letting him leave on a free later, ings situation is different as his goals are the difference between relegation 

I think the Spurs interest is a little over-blown at the mo.  The Times chap reported it but nobody else really went with it other than re-hashers.

Supposedly, he's not their 1st choice.  

I'm sure I read somewhere that Tottenham's new Director of Football's transfer strategy is to bid for lots of players and then decide which one they want. To me that sounds like they'll be pissing off a lot of other teams. It would explain the link to Vestergaard though.

Unless I imagined that and it's completely inaccurate. 😝

12 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Tottenham's new Director of Football's transfer strategy is to bid for lots of players and then decide which one they want. To me that sounds like they'll be pissing off a lot of other teams. It would explain the link to Vestergaard though.

Sounds like the strategy they adopted for their recent manager search, except all of them apart from Nuno said no.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, SNSUN said:

I read that too, you are not imagining it

• Like 1

Had a very good three months at the beginning of the season, but think he reverted back to type, seemingly alongside everybody else in the second half of the season. Obviously, his diagonal balls are a very dangerous weapon, but I still think he should do better aerially given his height, especially with attacking set-pieces and I think he is replaceable and somebody we could upgrade on in our starting 11. Be it Salisu, or somebody else, so cash in if someone’s offering £15m+.

12 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

but I still think he should do better aerially given his height,

Whilst I tend to agree that he should be better, particularly last season defensively, the photo above jumping with Kane shows that he can do it. I've always thought that it's his timing, not his actual jumping ability, that is lacking a bit.

20 minutes ago, TWar said:

Spurs rejected by their main target, hope that triggers a panic buy for a certain lofty Dane.

It’d actually be pretty comical if, in order to try and get away from mid table, they ended up signing 2 players and a manager from mid table sides…

29 minutes ago, SKD said:

It’d actually be pretty comical if, in order to try and get away from mid table, they ended up signing 2 players and a manager from mid table sides…

I think there are plenty of players and managers in at mid table sides right now that are europa/CL quality: Grealish, Raphinha, Ings, Bissouma, White, Potter, Bielsa, Ralph, ect.

You have to sign the right ones and Vestergaard is most certainly not that, and neither is Nuno imo. Then again, I said the same about Hojbjerg and they seem to like him so who knows.

• Haha 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester