Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

7 minutes ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

So just how 'Bad' is big Jannik?

I think our interest, is explained by a few factors really, and we were also looking at him last summer.

The club likes the fact he has experience playing in a back 3, as was the case with Denmark, and it's more than likely that Schmeichel has also put in a good word about his character, and the fact he looked like a leader back there during the Euros. I do worry about his pace, it certainly looks his biggest weakness. But with Soyuncu and Fofana (Albeit probably next season), I'm hopeful they can play the deeper role sweeping up behind and allowing Vestergaard to come out with the ball, or play either side of him when we play a back 3.

I'm well aware that both he and Bertrand made up a side that had one of the worst defences in the league last season, but the reality is, with a fully fit squad, Vestergaard will be 4th choice, whilst Bertrand has been bought in while James Justin recovers from injury to avoid putting too much pressure on young Luke Thomas. I'd also suggest, that having a better quality of player around him, will allow him to carry the ball out more often, which seems to be the biggest strength of his, along with his size, that we like. 

I'd also add that I have been extremely impressed with Bertrand this pre season. When we signed him, I feared we would be getting a player who was simply looking for a final big contract....But his attitude has been top class, constantly looking like a leader in the team too, talking all the young lads through games pre-season, and surprisingly has been bombing on down that left hand side for 90 minutes, something I didn't think he would be capable of. His set piece delivery looks exceptional too. 

He's not bad, just slow. He is still great in the air and a very good passer but not a £20m player, therefore if we pick up £15m for him in his last year we'd mostly be happy. Probably be ace in a low block long ball side but not suited at all to a high line like we'd like to play.

This is all based on this season, incidentally, before then he was shit.

Edited by TWar

6 minutes ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

I think our interest, is explained by a few factors really, and we were also looking at him last summer.

The club likes the fact he has experience playing in a back 3, as was the case with Denmark, and it's more than likely that Schmeichel has also put in a good word about his character, and the fact he looked like a leader back there during the Euros. I do worry about his pace, it certainly looks his biggest weakness. But with Soyuncu and Fofana (Albeit probably next season), I'm hopeful they can play the deeper role sweeping up behind and allowing Vestergaard to come out with the ball, or play either side of him when we play a back 3.

I'm well aware that both he and Bertrand made up a side that had one of the worst defences in the league last season, but the reality is, with a fully fit squad, Vestergaard will be 4th choice, whilst Bertrand has been bought in while James Justin recovers from injury to avoid putting too much pressure on young Luke Thomas. I'd also suggest, that having a better quality of player around him, will allow him to carry the ball out more often, which seems to be the biggest strength of his, along with his size, that we like. 

I'd also add that I have been extremely impressed with Bertrand this pre season. When we signed him, I feared we would be getting a player who was simply looking for a final big contract....But his attitude has been top class, constantly looking like a leader in the team too, talking all the young lads through games pre-season, and surprisingly has been bombing on down that left hand side for 90 minutes, something I didn't think he would be capable of. His set piece delivery looks exceptional too. 

Slow. Very good in the air.

Lovely passing. He will be a good signing for you.

8 minutes ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

He's fantastic! Will be an absolute bargain for you, if we will take £20m you should snap him up. Get him now before others do!!

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

He's our best centre back, but the bar is pretty low.

Very good distributor, loves a spray out to a marauding full back. 

Very slow, not sure he's 100% suited to our game. Decent in the air, though for his size I don't think he wins as many headers as he should do TBH. 

Imagine he has a good understanding with Schmeichel - will be a decent option for you as a squad player, plus he probably won't be under the cosh as much for you as he is here. Think he looks better in a back 5. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

this is not sour grapes, but he was terrible for us - until last season

Last season, he looked very good mostly, but that was against us having a disgraceful season in keeping the ball out.  Our other CBs are pretty crap BTW.

He is excellent at spraying a ball out from the back to either wing - quater back style.  That will be a big miss.

As a squad player, you could do a lot worse I guess given the position in the table you are now operating in. 

Fair summary on both players.

Vest always has a brain färt in him which could be costly but his main two positive attributes are heading (defending and attacking) and being able to bring the ball out of defence. 

Berty probably got a bit frustrated here and a having new challenge has shown what he can do. It’s a case of making sure he’s still motivated. 

5 minutes ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

Vesterguard is a very good footballer as long as you don’t let him get exposed for pace. As seen in the Euros, he was more than comfortable playing in a back three, preferably on the left. In terms of Bertrand, he’s a very clever full back who rarely loses duals. Even on crosses he leans on the forward to prevent being out jumped, as he’s not the tallest; plus as you say he has a great delivery, although not utilised much here due to Ward-Prowse.

Your certainly do well with these two additions to your squad.

6 minutes ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

Positives

Very calm in possession

Passing, particularly diagonal balls to wingers/full backs

Positionally very aware, makes up for his lack of speed below

Negatives

Slow, like hes running in treacle

For a giant (6'6 or 6'7) he loses more aerial battles than he should. His impact from set plays has been minimal too - and thats even with JWPs delivery. Needs to be more commanding

As other posters have pointed out he was excellent for us at times last season, but his overall contribution over three years has been average. Think he could fit in well at Leicester, provided they minimise the exposure of his weaknesses. If we got 18-20 million, not many Saints fans would be disappointed in him leaving

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

Vestergaard has been hindered by being in a defence low on confidence, unprotected by central midfield and unsure of their playing style.

As an individual player he is strong, slow, decent in the air (though surprisingly not as good as he should be for his height). His ball-playing is exceptional. He is strong in the tackle but often has to lunge in to prevent being done for pace, as his positioning isn't as good as you'd like.

He also has a cracking shot on him, and is capable of chipping in with a few goals from set plays.

You're getting a good defender in Jannik, he'll be missed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

He's our best centre back, but the bar is pretty low.

Very good distributor, loves a spray out to a marauding full back. 

Very slow, not sure he's 100% suited to our game. Decent in the air, though for his size I don't think he wins as many headers as he should do TBH. 

Imagine he has a good understanding with Schmeichel - will be a decent option for you as a squad player, plus he probably won't be under the cosh as much for you as he is here. Think he looks better in a back 5. 

Salisu will prove himself to be class this season imo

• Like 2

Given Hassenhuttl comments about replacing Vestergaard with someone we can sell on for a profit to a big club in approx 4 years, I wonder if our replacement can be narrowed to any of the following we have been linked with :

Flavius Daniliuc - aged 20

Tosin Adarabioyo - aged 23

Nat Phillips - aged 24

Japhet Tanganga - aged 22

Kiki Kouyate - aged 24 

11 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Given Hassenhuttl comments about replacing Vestergaard with someone we can sell on for a profit to a big club in approx 4 years, I wonder if our replacement can be narrowed to any of the following we have been linked with :

Nat Phillips - aged 24

Kiki Kouyate - aged 24 

Isn't Tanganka a full back?

12 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Nat Phillips - aged 24

Kiki Kouyate - aged 24 

My top choice would be Kouyate 🤞🏻

Think Simeu will be pushing first team by January aswell

2 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Don't fold too quick saints. 

Hold out for 18M. 

They will be back in for him. They are sensing a bargain at a time when they need someone. 

Hold firm. and we'll get a better deal. 

On the other hand, the quicker we sell the more time we have in the market to replace.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Vestergaard has been hindered by being in a defence low on confidence, unprotected by central midfield and unsure of their playing style.

Vestegaard is hindered by having the speed and turning circle of a cow. He's very decent despite that but that Leicester back 3 with him, Evans and Soyuncu is going to be very one paced. 

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Less than 24 hours after the fans forum when the management said no bid had been received for Vestergaard, these reports that it's close seem to have come around very quickly. Someone's not being entirely honest.

Someone’s thinking too much into this.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, egg said:

Vestegaard is hindered by having the speed and turning circle of a cow. He's very decent despite that but that Leicester back 3 with him, Evans and Soyuncu is going to be very one paced. 

That last goal we conceeded against West ham said it all for me, to slow to follow a not very pacy Declan Rice.

Get rid and reinvest.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, egg said:

That's a worry I have for him specifically, his speed, especially as we play a high line. But Soyuncu is one of the fastest CBs in the league.

I can't see Vestergaard playing in a back 3, with Evans. In fact I can't see an occasion, apart from injuries, where they ever play together.

Plus, from what I'm hearing from you guys, he excels on the ball, so it's likely he will be the furthest CB forward.

Edited by leon0286

20 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Less than 24 hours after the fans forum when the management said no bid had been received for Vestergaard, these reports that it's close seem to have come around very quickly. Someone's not being entirely honest.

Not really - in the fans forum there was a point when Ralph actually said "when Vestergaard goes" (not if) and then slightly checked himself. Not sure if you heard it last night but my take out was that he would be going, all three of them talked about it as being quite similar to the Ings situation. Either Semmens or the other one said they would like to try and keep him but not much more than a vague half-idea. 

You're making it sound like the fans forum panel were making grand statements that Vestergaard will absolutely not be leaving etc etc but they really didn't.

The only coincidence is we are getting to the start of the season which is a) when fans forums are and b) when clubs try and bid for players.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, saintrich said:

Nat Phillips - aged 24

Kiki Kouyate - aged 24 

The one position we need experience in is CB.  I wouldn’t go near any of them.

1 hour ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

he is extremely good with the ball at his feet. Silky and very composed. If you are not conceding goals, which you don't usually do, then you will get to enjoy this attribute a lot. We didn't really notice it because we were so damn annoyed at losing games. 

He was scoring goals too from set pieces in the first half of last season. we thought we had a world beater, which was strange, as we thought we had the world worst defender the season before. They (the goals) dried up, right at the time we needed them most. 

In a three, he will be fine. Dare I say it, he might be better than Söyüncu. £18m all in, seems about right, seeing as we got him for about that and he has proven to be both great and terrible in equal measures at this level (which is not unusual). 

1 minute ago, Chez said:

he is extremely good with the ball at his feet. Silky and very composed. If you are not conceding goals, which you don't usually do, then you will get to enjoy this attribute a lot. We didn't really notice it because we were so damn annoyed at losing games. 

He was scoring goals too from set pieces in the first half of last season. we thought we had a world beater, which was strange, as we thought we had the world worst defender the season before. They (the goals) dried up, right at the time we needed them most. 

In a three, he will be fine. Dare I say it, he might be better than Söyüncu. £18m all in, seems about right, seeing as we got him for about that and he has proven to be both great and terrible in equal measures at this level (which is not unusual). 

Interesting, so you rate him high enough to be one of the very best CBs in the league?

39 minutes ago, JRM said:

Hope so, if he's up against DCL on Saturday it will be his first big test. 

didn't Salisu look a little suspect against a striker that was good in the air last season? Not sure of the game, but he seemed to easily beaten. A bit `after you' like Yoshida used to be like. I might be wrong though.

Edited by Chez

1 minute ago, leon0286 said:

Interesting, so you rate him high enough to be one of the very best CBs in the league?

If you say so.

Perhaps I have misjudged Söyüncu. To be honest I hate Leicester just as much as every other club, so give them very little attention.  My knowledge of your players ain't all that. 

You ain't getting one of the best CBs in the league. You are getting Rio Ferdinand but without any pace. Is that useful to your side?

1 hour ago, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

If you had asked a year ago, I think the unanimous opinion on here would be that we would drive him to Leicester ourselves! In his first two seasons he was awful, error prone and an absolute liability.

However... last season he was much improved. Very good on the ball, especially with his long diagonal passes to Walker-Peters on the right wing, which we will miss. Very good in the air in both boxes, solid defensively and contributed a few goals for us. He got injured midway through the season and wasn't quite as good when he returned, however he was still our best CB by a mile last season, although that's not saying much. His biggest weakness is the lack of pace, he is slower than the Titanic.

I'll be mildly disappointed at him leaving but with just a year left it's a no brainer for us to cash in and hopefully get a younger, quicker replacement.

If you can adequately cover his lack of pace I suspect he will do a good job for you.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

didn't Salisu look a little suspect against a striker that was good in the air last season? Not sure of the game, but he seemed to easily beaten. A bit `after you' like Yoshida used to be like. I might be wrong though.

Yes against Calvert Lewin at Everton, bullied him a bit so will be interesting on Saturday 

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

That was the Everton game last season. Calvert-Lewin won 3-4 headers - albeit two of them by elbowing Salisu in the face, which was waved away by the officials because in England we apparently have different rules to everywhere else in the world.

That said, there's no shame in getting beaten by Calvert-Lewin: he's the best striker in the league in the air. Got a leap like a salmon on a trampoline.

But Salisu should be a bit more aware of what he's up against this time around.

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

That was against DCL, the worst game ive seen from Salisu. 

Vestergaard will be a good addition to Leicester, a calm ball playing centre half. He does read the game well but is very very slow so will get caught out 1 v 1.

Can just see him pinging 50yard balls for Vardy to run onto aswell. All in all a good signing for you, also last season was the best he ever played for us maybe he upped his game looking for a move, last summer you would of struggled to find a saints fan not willing to drive him to any other club 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chickendippers said:

You're thinking about DCL who thankfully isn't playing on Sat

my day brightened. Cheers. I think we'll turn them over. It's long overdue and I recall the last time we did  it it was completely out the blue too. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sideways Jim said:

Vestergaard will be a good addition to Leicester, a calm ball playing centre half. He does read the game well but is very very slow so will get caught out 1 v 1.

Can just see him pinging 50yard balls for Vardy to run onto aswell. All in all a good signing for you, also last season was the best he ever played for us maybe he upped his game looking for a move, last summer you would of struggled to find a saints fan not willing to drive him to any other club 

good description.

4 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Maybe just me, but I think Vestergaard will end up looking pretty decent at Leicester, I think they’ll suit his style. He’ll get a bit more protection all round and will have better outlets. I can see him doing well there.

Most of the posters above seem to agree with you.

8 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

Maybe just me, but I think Vestergaard will end up looking pretty decent at Leicester, I think they’ll suit his style. He’ll get a bit more protection all round and will have better outlets. I can see him doing well there.

I'm going for 5 games for the first we sold him too cheap/should have made him sign a new deal post sweepstake. 

Just now, Turkish said:

I'm going for 5 games for the first we sold him too cheap/should have made him sign a new deal post sweepstake. 

1 game. We lose at Everton and they keep at clean sheet against Wolves.

Who the fuck is going to mark him at set pieces when they play us?

I did expect this to happen, it has an inevitable feel about it.

Closer to 18m the better, but we are in line to make a loss on this one - as we bought him for £20m believe it or not.

For what it's worth I'm not sure he's suited to the way Ralph likes to play, in fact a lot of the players he inherted haven't been. It's a slow process but he's slowly being able to bring in the right style of player to fit his game plan.

We don't play too high a line, but we are still high enough for him to be hugely exposed against pace. Alongside Bednarek we had two CB profiles, who whilst experienced, just did not fit the style of play.

The only benefit Vestegraard brought us in the sense of our 'game' was his switch and passing from the back, but to be honest we shouldn't be relying on just a centre back to be able to do that.

His experience will be a loss, for sure, but I think we can use this opportunity to bring a player much, much more suited to the style of play Ralph wants.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester