Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Do we know what Cahill's fitness status is? i.e. is he in the "his legs have gone" category of older players yet? I'm just wondering if his experience and leadership qualities, and how that might help improve our younger CBs, could outweigh the cons of his age and dwindling fitness/pace etc?

Personally on a short term deal for a year he'd be worth looking at for the reasons you mention. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Former Liverpool loanee Ozan Kabak, free agent Gary Cahill and Marseille defender Duje Caleta-Car are amongst the players thought to be available to the club this summer.

By 'available' do you mean we are showing interest in them? There will be many centre backs who are available to us but, on its own, that means nothing.

30 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Cahill is 36 in December, so would be a very short term option. I wouldn't think we would go for that, but you never know.

Considering we have £15m or thereabouts there must be a good option in Europe that we could sign for that, and we offer a platform in the PL which is highly sought after.

The timing is a shame as both Guehi and Andersen would have been great signings that would have been affordable I think. Ajer too.

Not really a shame or unfortunate. It’s been obvious to everyone that Vestergaard was off this window. Or failing that, the next window.

The fact we’re unwilling and/or unable to spend without selling first has cost us. 

Cahill And Jones would both add some experience and leadership at the back for us. Given we’ll likely be on the look out for a cheap option, Jones would be my pick. 

Personally, I think we should go all out for koopmeiners, although I think an out and out CB is higher priority than a CM who can play CB. Bednerak doesn’t cut it for me.

• Like 1

Would be disappointed if a Vestergaard replacement is our last transfer of the summer.

Our squad was desperately short of quality players last season and we limped past the finish line. It felt like we needed 3 or 4 decent players to come into the first team.

We've brought in direct replacements for solid first teamers who've gone, who may or may not be as good, in Armstrong for Ings, Perraud for Bertrand and someone TBC for Vestergaard. 

Livramento certainly seems like an upgrade on Valery/Vokins, Simeu could be a good cover and is prospect at the back as well. And then Broja as a replacement for Minamino. And that's it.

In terms of improving a disappointing team from last season that doesn't seem to have happened, or be likely to even though we've finally got rid of some big earners like Gunn, Hoedt, Lamina (as well as the decent players mentioned above).

Walcott could be useful but I'm fairly indifferent towards him, like Djenepo and Redmond he's inconsistent and injury prone. Would happily have got rid of those 3 and started again with attacking midfielder's wingers for some who can stay fit and perform consistently.

Hoping that Tella can push on this season, and that all our signings slot in well and turn out to be decent PL players otherwise we'll struggle.

If JWP goes or we have any kind of injuries or suspensions to our central midfielders we look very thin on the ground there. Likewise creatively we don't seem to have genuine threats to come off the bench and change games (or even in our starting 11). The prospect of Armstrong, Adams, Armstrong/Walcott, Redmond/Djenepo wouldn't seem particularly threatening if I were the opposition.

Edited by st alex

2 minutes ago, st alex said:

Our squad was desperately short of quality players last season and we limped past the finish line.

Technically we didn't in terms of avoiding relegation.

We sprinted past the point total to avoid relegation and had enough points to be safe on 4th January. It is after that we were limping! 😉😇

16 minutes ago, st alex said:

Would be disappointed if a Vestergaard replacement is our last transfer of the summer.

Our squad was desperately short of quality players last season and we limped past the finish line. It felt like we needed 3 or 4 decent players to come into the first team.

We've brought in direct replacements for solid first teamers who've gone, who may or may not be as good, in Armstrong for Ings, Perraud for Bertrand and someone TBC for Vestergaard. 

Livramento certainly seems like an upgrade on Valery/Vokins, Simeu could be a good cover and is prospect at the back as well. And then Broja as a replacement for Minamino. And that's it.

In terms of improving a disappointing team from last season that doesn't seem to have happened, or be likely to even though we've finally got rid of some big earners like Gunn, Hoedt, Lamina (as well as the decent players mentioned above).

Walcott could be useful but I'm fairly indifferent towards him, like Djenepo and Redmond he's inconsistent and injury prone. Would happily have got rid of those 3 and started again with attacking midfielder's wingers for some who can stay fit and perform consistently.

Hoping that Tella can push on this season, and that all our signings slot in well and turn out to be decent PL players otherwise we'll struggle.

If JWP goes or we have any kind of injuries or suspensions to our central midfielders we look very thin on the ground there. Likewise creatively we don't seem to have genuine threats to come off the bench and change games (or even in our starting 11). The prospect of Armstrong, Adams, Armstrong/Walcott, Redmond/Djenepo wouldn't seem particularly threatening if I were the opposition.

Agree with this. Our starting 11 is clearly worse then we ended the last season with. Its a stretch hope that Armstrong is at the same level as Ings so i cant see any signing as better than the starting 11. 

8 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Agree with this. Our starting 11 is clearly worse then we ended the last season with. Its a stretch hope that Armstrong is at the same level as Ings so i cant see any signing as better than the starting 11. 

I'd say on the surface of it Perraud is a uplift on a current Bertrand, as it allows us to have someone with legs on the left to provide a threat/balance on that side.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Apart from VVD , who have been Saints outstanding CBs ? I remember Ron Davies , Alan Shearer , Terry Paine etc because they were always in the headlines as they were attackers but I can’t recall many outstanding defenders (due to old age)

I've got Monkou & Killer on my football Card Southampton wall xi, with Chris Nicholl on the bench.

8 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Apart from VVD , who have been Saints outstanding CBs ? I remember Ron Davies , Alan Shearer , Terry Paine etc because they were always in the headlines as they were attackers but I can’t recall many outstanding defenders (due to old age)

Fonte, Lundekvam, Svennson, Richards, that’s in my time going anyway. 

4 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Mark Wright, Killer and Claus, Dave Watson, Ken Monkou, Dean Richards.....

10 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Dave Watson, John McGrath.....

4 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Some of my top all time Saints defenders:

RB: Ivan Golac

LB: Mark Dennis, Wayne Bridge, Kenny Sansom

CB: Mark Wright, Dave Watson, Chris Nicholl, Michael Svensson, Dean Richards

Notable mentions to: Mick Mills, Ken Monkou, Jason Dodd, Franny Benali, Gareth Bale, Jose Fonte, Claus Lundekvam

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Notable mentions to: Mick Mills, Ken Monkou, Jason Dodd, Franny Benali, Gareth Bale, Jose Fonte, Claus Lundekvam

When did he play for Saints?

4 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Really ??? Don't recall that 

22 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Killer

20 minutes ago, Appy said:

Fonte, Lundekvam, Svennson, Richards, that’s in my time going anyway. 

Add Lovern (in his time with us) and Toby (could argue not a saint, I guess) to that list as well. 

21 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

LM always had an eye for a centre half, Dave Watson was a beast when Saints signed him from Bremen (not the biggest, but best in the air I ever saw in the flesh for Saints and England), Nicholl was as steady as you like and Mark Wright was up there with Van Dijk in terms of quality and ability.  As others have said, the likes of Golac and Dennis, bought for peanuts but hard as nails and superb footballers with the likes of Statham and Mills. Later Monkou and Deano, Richard Hall who I though was very underrated and unlucky with injury, and then we are into the Svennson era.  Any of those would walk into this side and most other Prem sides.  

3 minutes ago, East Kent Saint said:

Thanks , I remember Mark Wright probably due to his punch up with Laurie Mc . Richards was class and John McGrath was the classic hard defender as I remember.

I was behind the goal at White Hart Lane when Shilton clattered into him in the Liverpool semi-final. Broke his leg and missed out on the World Cup. Great player. 

1 minute ago, East Kent Saint said:

Thanks , I remember Mark Wright probably due to his punch up with Laurie Mc . Richards was class and John McGrath was the classic hard defender as I remember.

Big John was before my time but my Dad was a decent centre half at non-league level and rated him as the gold standard, a monster, also rated Jim Steele.  When I played as a schoolboy Watson was my hero from the terrace and Ronald Koeman on TV, both recommended by the old man again :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Minsk said:

Yep agree with all of those, would add Jeff Kenna to the list as well - top defender (perhaps that is who you meant instead of Kenny Sansom???).

Edited by Micky

55 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

I've got Monkou & Killer on my football Card Southampton wall xi, with Chris Nicholl on the bench.

I’d have big Ken in there too with a bit of Claus thrown in with Killer of the ones I’ve seen. Never felt there a mistake with Killer about. But certainly VVD is the best defender we’ve had in thirty years. There’s a reason he went for the price he did.

2 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Technically we didn't in terms of avoiding relegation.

We sprinted past the point total to avoid relegation and had enough points to be safe on 4th January. It is after that we were limping! 😉😇

I would like to think our finish line isn't just surviving relegation! Bit sad that we have had more consquetive seasons of EPL money than most of the league, yet we are still aiming to keep our noses just above the relegation line.   

Edited by sydney_saint

40 minutes ago, Midfield_General said:

I thought Nathaniel Clyne was great for us.

Not least for this one he absolutely melted from 35 yards to knock Arsenal out of the league cup at the Emirates... 

He's got a foot like a traction engine

My favourite Clyne goal was the one against Liverpool. Just for absolute lack of respect he gave the keeper. A proper belter of a finish at the near post. 

5 minutes ago, sydney_saint said:

I would like to think our finish line isn't just surviving relegation! Bit sad that we have had more consquetive seasons of EPL money than most of the league, yet we are still aiming to keep our noses just above the relegation line.   

At the Solent Forum RH said that he was looking for a top 10 finish.

1 minute ago, MarkSFC said:

Very strong. 45m for two players who were going to leave for nothing in 11 months. 

Progress is difficult to see for the short-sighted. 

Yeah, I mean what was the club supposed to do - kidnap them? Neither we’re going to sign a contract. 

If we play the market well - and we’ve not done badly so far this summer - we’ll get a better younger player than Vestergaard.

Losing Ings was always going to be difficult - but Armstrong and Broja are very decent replacements fir our budget. I actually think Broja could catch fire if given the chance. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

Yeah, I mean what was the club supposed to do - kidnap them? Neither we’re going to sign a contract. 

If we play the market well - and we’ve not done badly so far this summer - we’ll get a better younger player than Vestergaard.

Losing Ings was always going to be difficult - but Armstrong and Broja are very decent replacements fir our budget. I actually think Broja could catch fire if given the chance. 

Precisely. I'm excited by the combination of Armstrong, Broja, Adams, and Tella. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Micky said:

Yep agree with all of those, would add Jeff Kenna to the list as well - top defender (perhaps that is who you meant instead of Kenny Sansom???).

Miltonaggro got it right, I meant Derek Statham. Had my own 'senior moment' (it comes to us all eventually).

Jeff Kenna is also a good shout though.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester