Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

1 hour ago, saintrich said:

Given Hassenhuttl comments about replacing Vestergaard with someone we can sell on for a profit to a big club in approx 4 years, I wonder if our replacement can be narrowed to any of the following we have been linked with :

Flavius Daniliuc - aged 20

Tosin Adarabioyo - aged 23

Nat Phillips - aged 24

Japhet Tanganga - aged 22

Kiki Kouyate - aged 24 

Might be wrong but I don't think Phillips would be much of an upgrade on Stephens.

• Like 1

Just now, Teddeer said:

Might be wrong but I don't think Phillips would be much of an upgrade on Stephens.

Liverpool play a guy for ten games and his value goes through the roof. They make so much money back on player sales, largely from flops and players they are desperate to offload. I guess for every Brewster there is an Ings. Or is it, for every twenty Brewsters there is an Ings?

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I did expect this to happen, it has an inevitable feel about it.

Closer to 18m the better, but we are in line to make a loss on this one - as we bought him for £20m believe it or not.

I'm sure the accountants on here can confirm, if we have any, but in our next financial accounts it will still show as a profit right?

If we paid £20m for him, he will have amortised down to £5m, so to get £15m is a £10m profit on him?

Perhaps why we're happy to just accept £15m? Also perhaps Leicester willing to pay us all up front rather than in instalments? 

All just speculation. 

• Like 1

We moved pretty quickly with replacements for Ings once that went through, let's hope the same happens here and the club already have deals lined up.

Shouldn't we in theory have about £10-12 million left from the Ings deal as well, so add £14 million, £24-25 million? 

2 hours ago, saintrich said:

Given Hassenhuttl comments about replacing Vestergaard with someone we can sell on for a profit to a big club in approx 4 years, I wonder if our replacement can be narrowed to any of the following we have been linked with :

Flavius Daniliuc - aged 20

Tosin Adarabioyo - aged 23

Nat Phillips - aged 24

Japhet Tanganga - aged 22

Kiki Kouyate - aged 24 

Have I remembered right that at the fans forum they said they'd look for someone on their second or third contract for this position?

Just now, Matthew Le God said:

Hasenhuttl stated a replacement would be signed.

depends if said replacement is a 'starter' or one to challenge the 3 very average CBs Vestergaard leaves behind.

I cannot see the club signing someone not considered good enough to start myself, but you never know

It would have been nice to get a little but given his contract situation, getting that amount should at least help us replace him, hopefully with someone who can cover Romeu. We weren’t going to stumble into another ings situation and were perhaps lucky that fofana got crocked to actually stimulate a bid at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexLaw76 said:

depends if said replacement is a 'starter' or one to challenge the 3 very average CBs Vestergaard leaves behind.

I cannot see the club signing someone not considered good enough to start myself, but you never know

Bednarek and Salisu is good enough for what we need. Stephens and the new signing as back-ups.

Bednarek and Salisu is good enough for what we need. Stephens and the new signing as back-ups.

that is a problem.  Bednarek is pretty rubbish and we have no idea is Salisu is any good over a season.  he was decent at times last season, but completely schooled others, in the few appearances he had

5 minutes ago, LGTL said:

So that leaves Bednarek, Salisu and Stephens as our CB options.

Thank god we didn’t sell our best goalscorer as christ we’ll need hi.. oh shit. 

Club are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

I'd presume like Ings, Vestergaard has basically said he won't sign a new contract, so we had two players with a year left on their deals, who want to leave and can go for a free in a year, plus there being doubts about how committed they would be in that last year.

So we have sold them and are like to end up with about £43 million for the pair, more than we actually paid for them, despite the year left on their deal and with one player injury prone and 29, and the other 28 and well has had one good half season in 3 years and the jury being very much out on him still. 

It's not like we have lost prime Messi or something for a knock down price. 

AND I am willing to bet if the club had signed Ings and Vestergaard on 5-6 year deals people would have been moaning at the time why are we giving such long deals to an injury prone player and an unproven centre-back. 

Honestly with £15 million I think we can go out and improve on Vestergaard anyway. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yup

it is a great race to the bottom with the defence. It was disgraceful last season, and we are about to sell the best one of the lot.

Hopefully we will sign someone better than at least 2 of the 3 we have left

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, SaintSteve said:

Vesterguard is a very good footballer as long as you don’t let him get exposed for pace. As seen in the Euros, he was more than comfortable playing in a back three, preferably on the left. In terms of Bertrand, he’s a very clever full back who rarely loses duals. Even on crosses he leans on the forward to prevent being out jumped, as he’s not the tallest; plus as you say he has a great delivery, although not utilised much here due to Ward-Prowse.

Your certainly do well with these two additions to your squad.

We didn't do that well with them though scrapped 15th 

Just now, Wade Garrett said:

Are you sure?

Of course he’s sure but it’s backed up by no real evidence that Salisu will be an adequate replacement all season.

He may well do fine but the few games he has played at centre half for us do not confirm that.

He was just as liable to a brain fart as the others and as Everton away showed was bullied by DCL.

5 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

that is a problem.  Bednarek is pretty rubbish and we have no idea is Salisu is any good over a season.  he was decent at times last season, but completely schooled others, in the few appearances he had

he is the wall of valladolid for a reason.

He's faced Messi, Suraez, Benzema etc etc over the course of a season (30 games) which was the basis of us buying him injured we were so keen to get him.

• Like 3

Surpised it's at that level, I thought we'd have held out for more. Maybe we've just decided to go with it, get it done and then we can move in on our target.

Certainly not ideal to have this hanging over on the eve of the season though. We've had one of our 'selling of the crown jewels' summers! Let's just hope the reinvestment works out.

Be interested to see how we reinvest the Vestergaard fee, I'd try and split that across two positions if I can - get an extra CM and a new CB.

I'm not worried about losing Vestgaard particularly, as he was part of one of the worst ever PL defences and has been a bit of a dodgy buy bar 9 purple months. The worry I have is the depth of quality and experience at CB. But I'm sure that will be addressed...just not in time for Saturday.

4 minutes ago, northam soul said:

Of course he’s sure but it’s backed up by no real evidence that Salisu will be an adequate replacement all season.

He may well do fine but the few games he has played at centre half for us do not confirm that.

He was just as liable to a brain fart as the others and as Everton away showed was bullied by DCL.

I’m more concerned about Bednarek.  Salisu will be mustard this season.

• Like 1

Fee seems so low, surprising others are not jumping on it.

I’d like to think there is a bargain to be had in Europe somewhere.

Christiansen, Tarkowski in final year of contract - could we tempt with a £15m-£20m bid? I may sound way off the mark but Leicester have convinced us.

Boyata, Saiss, Kjaer (AC Milan), Denayer also all on final year of contract.

I worry we’ll end up taking Phil Jones on loan but they did promise reinvestment.

I’m not sure I want another Salisu type player, someone experienced would be my preference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Fee seems so low, surprising others are not jumping on it.

I’d like to think there is a bargain to be had in Europe somewhere.

Christiansen, Tarkowski in final year of contract - could we tempt with a £15m-£20m bid? I may sound way off the mark but Leicester have convinced us.

Boyata, Saiss, Kjaer (AC Milan), Denayer also all on final year of contract.

I worry we’ll end up taking Phil Jones on loan but they did promise reinvestment.

I’m not sure I want another Salisu type player, someone experienced would be my preference.

As much as I'd like some experience, the description of any Vestergaard replacement by Martin and Ralph last night was......''A player on his second, or third contract. Someone who can develop and learn with us, and in two or 3 years may get a move elsewhere''

Not sure how concrete the Nat Philips stories are, but he ticks a lot of boxes on those regards. Don't know a great deal about him as a player though, I'll be honest.

Edited by S-Clarke

Just now, S-Clarke said:

As much as I'd like some experience, the description of any Vestergaard replacement by Martin and Ralph last night was......''A player on his second, or third contract. Someone who can develop and learn with us, and in two or 3 years may get a move elsewhere''

Another year of no leadership at the back then. 

7 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

I’m more concerned about Bednarek.  Salisu will be mustard this season.

My concern with Salisu is despite being a big lad he doesn't seem that keen on the physical side of the game, hopefully he's been training against Long and improved that side of his game 

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It's very similar to the Hojbjerg situation, having a year left really doesn't give us much room to bargain. Seems a reasonable fee to me considering the circumstances.

Let's be honest, 2 years ago I think most would have accepted £4m - or even Buttons - for him. He was very much in the Hoedt category at that point. So to get this level of fee 2 years later seems good, even more so given that he has 1 year left. Would have liked 18m ish, but the ball isn't really in our court on this one.

He has certainly redeemed himself though, but I'll never be massively comfortable with him.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Saints foreva said:

Another year of no leadership at the back then. 

This is what we need. Cahill a couple of years ago or Evans, one position where players generally mature into better players with experience,  rarely get youth centre backs coming into Premier league sides 

It seems on the low side, but a combined £40-45m (depending on who you believe) for two ageing players each with only a year left on their contracts? Can't sniff at that.

If all that allows us to sign a player or three that are more suited to Ralph's system then it could turn out to be good business.

• Like 1

Me stating publicly that I'm sure is proof that I'm sure.

I'm sure that you're sure, but I'm not sure that anyone can be sure, surely. 

Anyways, he's on his way and I'm far from sure that Bednarek and Salisu is good enough for what we need. We need experience to replace experience, for sure. 

I personally think 15m is good business for a player in the last year of his contract. I trust the club to get in a quality replacement. Jannik was very good 1st half of last season (one of the best in PL in the first part) but didn't quite get to the same level when he returned in the 2nd part of the season.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

If all that allows us to sign a player or three that are more suited to Ralph's system then it could turn out to be good business.

This is a very good point which shouldn't be missed.

Ralph has never really been given the chance to properly mould a team, he's inherited a lot from previous managers and has done the best he can - some are just not suited to his style though.

So I'm kinda intrigued to see how we get on now that he's had a real chance to shape this team, potentially could see up to 8 signings in one window.

• Like 1

I thought he looked pretty darned good at the Euros, playing in a 3, with others able to cover his chronic lack of pace. I reckon he will fit in well at Leicester.

We should wish him well; as far as we know, he hasn't acted like a dick, he doesn't suit the Ralph style of play and cashing in on an ageing player with a short contract is good business sense.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Surpised it's at that level, I thought we'd have held out for more. Maybe we've just decided to go with it, get it done and then we can move in on our target.

Certainly not ideal to have this hanging over on the eve of the season though. We've had one of our 'selling of the crown jewels' summers! Let's just hope the reinvestment works out.

Be interested to see how we reinvest the Vestergaard fee, I'd try and split that across two positions if I can - get an extra CM and a new CB.

I'm not worried about losing Vestgaard particularly, as he was part of one of the worst ever PL defences and has been a bit of a dodgy buy bar 9 purple months. The worry I have is the depth of quality and experience at CB. But I'm sure that will be addressed...just not in time for Saturday.

I'd hardly call Vestergaard one of our crown jewels. Aside from being quite good at bringing the ball out of defence and pinging a few long range passes nobody could say he is a solid, dependable defender...could they? Too slow or me.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester