Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

4 minutes ago, saintrich said:

£15m guaranteed with £3m in add ons will get the deal done I reckon. 

Yes, notice it says current bid is "up to £15m", which suggests it's not £15m up front, only with the add ons. So as you say reckon we will hold out for £15m before any add ons and that'll probably do it.

Sell all day long.  We'll miss his passing out of the back more than we will his defending.  Considering he's got a year left on his deal and wasn't going to sign a new deal, to end up being able to replace him with someone of not far off the same quality and have that player for the next 4 - 5 years is a good move for us.

The emergence of Salisu has helped this to happen too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beatlesaint said:

all day long, we would have to accept that.....before they realise he isnt very good 🤣

Hey! I am stalking Leicester fan so don't say that,we prefer to find out in our own time  😃

I suspect that along with Fofana injury, we may have an issue with Evans, so are looking for experience too

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, dahnsouff said:

Hey! I am stalking Leicester fan so don't say that,we prefer to find out in our own time  😃

I suspect that along with Fofana injury, we may have an issue with Evans, so are looking for experience too

I'm sure he will be much better with a decent partner instead of Bednerek 😉 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Sell all day long.  We'll miss his passing out of the back more than we will his defending.  Considering he's got a year left on his deal and wasn't going to sign a new deal, to end up being able to replace him with someone of not far off the same quality and have that player for the next 4 - 5 years is a good move for us.

The emergence of Salisu has helped this to happen too.

This. Our defence was woeful last season and going again with the same CB's makes no sense. 

Re the balls from the back, no team should have to rely on a CB to be their playmaker in chief. Hopefully our midfield will step up and do midfielders should do. 

6 minutes ago, dahnsouff said:

Probably as good as you'll get at short notice and he'll slot straight in. 

I doubt he'll be quality enough for you to challenge top 4, but he isn't without skills. 

I'd prefer he'd stayed, but we'll cope and the money will help.

Good luck, shove the ESL idea down their throats.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ethan Ampadu would make more sense. Could also provide cover for Romeu if injured.

Def a player who can play both positions.  Depends what profile we want.  For me, we still need somebody who can head the ball unless I want a panic attack every time a cross comes in.

4 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/whats-happened-with-ampadu.87132/

Their forum weren't overwhelmingly positive about him. A previously promising young player at current low stock is a market I like us working within, but I'd be disappointed after his last two years.

I'd prefer us to be looking at Adarabioyo from the relegated clubs personally.

Edited by Saint Matty 76

20 hours ago, DT said:

What he does provide is physical muscle and we need that in the team. Were way too lightweight last season.

this.

It worries me greatly how lightweight we are at set pieces. In his first season he got under the ball terribly on crosses, but improved greatly and in the end was strong in the air. We lack defensive headers of the ball. Maybe that why we played offside on every free kick. Not sure y heart can stand us doing that again this season.

We will miss his ability on the ball too. Not just the long balls, but he kept possession very well. Stepping inside or upfield with the ball brilliantly. He was so composed.

Obviously he was no VVD. He was so slow its not true. But the lack of pace is something that needed to covered by his partner...but Bednarek is slow also.

It’s all very well saying take the money, and I think the club will, but it all depends who we get in as a replacement and are they better than what we have. The club have done alright this summer in bringing in bodies quickly, but there’s an element of running just to try and stand still. I feel the same with Vestergaard and struggle to believe we’ll get someone equal or better to him in if he goes. Plus we’ve got a pretty young team, he adds some much needed experience.

1 hour ago, dahnsouff said:

You do realise that if you buy him, you'll have 50% of the defence that shipped a certain number of goals against you, right? ;)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, northam soul said:

So haven’t really seen us linked with any centre half’s but I would imagine they will want someone with a bit of experience.

I know the resale value is key so who is likely to be available.

How about David Luiz on a free. Currently without a club lol

• Haha 1

He's as good as gone now, but I'm not too fussed about this one. He's replaceable and in his time here only really stood out for a few months. 

If he's got zero interest in signing a new deal then let him leave, we'll be okay without him. (In the sense that he's not the type of player that's going to lead to us going down if he leaves!) 

1 hour ago, dahnsouff said:

Don't read too much into it, "we" don't like many of our players  on this forum by all accounts

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Don't think we should sell for less than £20mill.

As with Ings, as a company, we have to sell if he ain't signing a new deal. We can't let a £18m asset walk for free. Financial suicide. Much rather have the £18m now to use to sign his replacement than keep him for a season and then have £0 to use to replace.

• Like 2

Leicester fan here....

So just how 'Bad' is big Jannik?

I think our interest, is explained by a few factors really, and we were also looking at him last summer.

The club likes the fact he has experience playing in a back 3, as was the case with Denmark, and it's more than likely that Schmeichel has also put in a good word about his character, and the fact he looked like a leader back there during the Euros. I do worry about his pace, it certainly looks his biggest weakness. But with Soyuncu and Fofana (Albeit probably next season), I'm hopeful they can play the deeper role sweeping up behind and allowing Vestergaard to come out with the ball, or play either side of him when we play a back 3.

I'm well aware that both he and Bertrand made up a side that had one of the worst defences in the league last season, but the reality is, with a fully fit squad, Vestergaard will be 4th choice, whilst Bertrand has been bought in while James Justin recovers from injury to avoid putting too much pressure on young Luke Thomas. I'd also suggest, that having a better quality of player around him, will allow him to carry the ball out more often, which seems to be the biggest strength of his, along with his size, that we like. 

I'd also add that I have been extremely impressed with Bertrand this pre season. When we signed him, I feared we would be getting a player who was simply looking for a final big contract....But his attitude has been top class, constantly looking like a leader in the team too, talking all the young lads through games pre-season, and surprisingly has been bombing on down that left hand side for 90 minutes, something I didn't think he would be capable of. His set piece delivery looks exceptional too. 

• Like 1

Just now, leon0286 said:

Leicester fan here....

So just how 'Bad' is big Jannik?

I think our interest, is explained by a few factors really, and we were also looking at him last summer.

The club likes the fact he has experience playing in a back 3, as was the case with Denmark, and it's more than likely that Schmeichel has also put in a good word about his character, and the fact he looked like a leader back there during the Euros. I do worry about his pace, it certainly looks his biggest weakness. But with Soyuncu and Fofana (Albeit probably next season), I'm hopeful they can play the deeper role sweeping up behind and allowing Vestergaard to come out with the ball, or play either side of him when we play a back 3.

I'm well aware that both he and Bertrand made up a side that had one of the worst defences in the league last season, but the reality is, with a fully fit squad, Vestergaard will be 4th choice, whilst Bertrand has been bought in while James Justin recovers from injury to avoid putting too much pressure on young Luke Thomas. I'd also suggest, that having a better quality of player around him, will allow him to carry the ball out more often, which seems to be the biggest strength of his, along with his size, that we like. 

I'd also add that I have been extremely impressed with Bertrand this pre season. When we signed him, I feared we would be getting a player who was simply looking for a final big contract....But his attitude has been top class, constantly looking like a leader in the team too, talking all the young lads through games pre-season, and surprisingly has been bombing on down that left hand side for 90 minutes, something I didn't think he would be capable of. His set piece delivery looks exceptional too. 

this is not sour grapes, but he was terrible for us - until last season

Last season, he looked very good mostly, but that was against us having a disgraceful season in keeping the ball out.  Our other CBs are pretty crap BTW.

He is excellent at spraying a ball out from the back to either wing - quater back style.  That will be a big miss.

As a squad player, you could do a lot worse I guess given the position in the table you are now operating in. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester