Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

It always felt like he would be an easy sell this summer. I don’t think the club expected him to come good, hence why he didn’t start the first couple of games, they got lucky that he suddenly transformed. Presume the intention was for Salisu to be Bednarek’s partner, but then Jannik stepped up. So it’s an easy sell we weren’t expecting to be able to make. He’s had a good season, shown why he was signed, but he’s one we could probably get a decent few quid for in a market short of decent CB’s who can play a bit.

• Like 1

We drew 0-0 with West Ham when Vestergaard wasn't playing. We also beat Liverpool 1-0 and Arsenal 1-0. It just goes to show that without Vestergaard our defence can be good, even against top teams. In fact, when he went off after 10 minutes against Leicester and we were down to ten men, our defence looked much better.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

A clusterfuck all round. A gaping hole where a right back would have been leaving too few players to plug the leak when that attack came pouring through.

Probably cos the RB had been withdraw to get Romeu on the pitch for no apparent reason.....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

We drew 0-0 with West Ham when Vestergaard wasn't playing. We also beat Liverpool 1-0 and Arsenal 1-0. It just goes to show that without Vestergaard our defence can be good, even against top teams. In fact, when he went off after 10 minutes against Leicester and we were down to ten men, our defence looked much better.

Stephens!

7 hours ago, Nordic Saint said:

He was a mainstay in the side which started the season so well, multiple clean sheets and a last minute equaliser against Chelsea. He also didnt play in the 9-0 debacle against United. You can argue it both ways, fact is Vestergaard like our other CBs is capable of throwing a few disasters in there, thats why hes at us. We can explore new CB options all we like, but there also needs to be recognition from Ralph that our defensive shape at times is shambolic. That rests with him and the style of play he employs

• Like 1

On 23/05/2021 at 22:31, Saint Garrett said:

He’s not a very good defender but he is quite important to how we play when we have the ball. But that causes us a problem when we need him to defend. There has to be a change when this defence has let in so many goals for a good few years now. 

Sell him.

his stock is high so might as well recoup some money for him.

play with Salisu Bednarek Stephens and a 4th experienced vocal center back for next season.

• Like 3

I think the best move would be to spent the summer/pre-season getting Vest used to playing on the right side of defence (I'm sure he's played there for Denmark?) and play him next to Salisu.

17 minutes ago, igsey said:

I think the best move would be to spent the summer/pre-season getting Vest used to playing on the right side of defence (I'm sure he's played there for Denmark?) and play him next to Salisu.

I completely agree. It baffles me we have seen a pairing of JV as right-sided centre back and MS as left-sided centre back, which potentially seems our strongest pairing.  

He's got a year left on his contract - and I don't think he will sign another one so we should sell him whilst his stock is relatively high and he has some resale value.  

He is good at bringing the ball out from the back- but sometimes gets carried away with this and plays us in to trouble  - but he's not so great defending when people run at him. He had his good and bad moments but I think it time for him and us to move on.

It's probably also time for Stephens to move on - and maybe down a level to get regular first team football. We need younger players who are going to improve and step up a level.

I think I'd sell both Vestergaard and Stephens and try and bring in another right footed as well another left footed defender.  Sven Botman and Kristoffer Ajer could be perfect - Botman's probably out of our range but I don't think Ajer would be.

Can't help thinking its a shame we released Ben White at 16!

15 hours ago, Rebel said:

He's got a year left on his contract - and I don't think he will sign another one so we should sell him whilst his stock is relatively high and he has some resale value.  

He is good at bringing the ball out from the back- but sometimes gets carried away with this and plays us in to trouble  - but he's not so great defending when people run at him. He had his good and bad moments but I think it time for him and us to move on.

It's probably also time for Stephens to move on - and maybe down a level to get regular first team football. We need younger players who are going to improve and step up a level.

I think I'd sell both Vestergaard and Stephens and try and bring in another right footed as well another left footed defender.  Sven Botman and Kristoffer Ajer could be perfect - Botman's probably out of our range but I don't think Ajer would be.

Can't help thinking its a shame we released Ben White at 16!

Agree, sell the bugger.

But we need someone experienced to replace him. 

On 25/05/2021 at 08:51, Marching Halos said:

Play salisu, Bednarek and stephens and we going down. None of them are good enough (salisu looks like he "could" be good) i would keep vestergard and sell the other two and buy a good defender.

Really? He looks absolute quality. His reading of the game is a class above anyone else we've got. My only concern with him is how Calvert-Lewin bullied him at Goodison Park, maybe need to toughen up a bit but he's only young and got the physical stature to do that. 

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Really? He looks absolute quality. His reading of the game is a class above anyone else we've got. My only concern with him is how Calvert-Lewin bullied him at Goodison Park, maybe need to toughen up a bit but he's only young and got the physical stature to do that. 

Yeah agree, our best CB (not hard) from what I’ve seen of him. Mostly out of position as well. 

I’d happily sell Vestergaard and replace him with an older head who can play Right side of CB to partner Salisu with Bednerak and Stephens as cover. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SKD said:

Yeah agree, our best CB (not hard) from what I’ve seen of him. Mostly out of position as well. 

I’d happily sell Vestergaard and replace him with an older head who can play Right side of CB to partner Salisu with Bednerak and Stephens as cover. 

That would be my preferred option. An older head to play alongside him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Absolute quality, not when mount walked pass him when ings fouled him for pen, or when he started with vest against leeds and lost 3-0 or when he lost the header twice and fell over and everton scored the winner, was poor vs city and Tottenham when he started. He has looked good in the last few games. My point was if played along side jack or bednarek we wouldnt stay up

4 hours ago, Marching Halos said:

Absolute quality, not when mount walked pass him when ings fouled him for pen, or when he started with vest against leeds and lost 3-0 or when he lost the header twice and fell over and everton scored the winner, was poor vs city and Tottenham when he started. He has looked good in the last few games. My point was if played along side jack or bednarek we wouldnt stay up

Bit harsh to single him out individually, what you state is that he needs better experience/a better partner next to him. In terms of Salisu's raw ability I think he's potentially the best we've got. Quick off the mark, strong/powerful and without question our quickest CB.

There are undoubtedly question marks over certain aspects of his game that are coachable and also come with adapting to the country, as let's not forget he's not even had a full season here - 6 months at most is all he's been involved in, and even part of that he's been shoehorned in a hybrid back 3/left back role.

In the games he's played I've liked what I've seen in the main and I'd have no problem with him being first choice for us next year, as Turkish has said the thing that stands out the most is his reading of the game, that's something you can't really coach and it's a natural attribute. I can certainly see why the club had the fanfare about him.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S-Clarke said:

Bit harsh to single him out individually, what you state is that he needs better experience/a better partner next to him. In terms of Salisu's raw ability I think he's potentially the best we've got. Quick off the mark, strong/powerful and without question our quickest CB.

There are undoubtedly question marks over certain aspects of his game that are coachable and also come with adapting to the country, as let's not forget he's not even had a full season here - 6 months at most is all he's been involved in, and even part of that he's been shoehorned in a hybrid back 3/left back role.

In the games he's played I've liked what I've seen in the main and I'd have no problem with him being first choice for us next year, as Turkish has said the thing that stands out the most is his reading of the game, that's something you can't really coach and it's a natural attribute. I can certainly see why the club had the fanfare about him.

Yep agreed.

I reckon if Wesley Fofana joined us instead he would look nowhere near as good as he does for Leicester too. 

• Like 1

Vesterguard is a funny one he is capable of a world class long and accurate cross field ball to our winger which very few can do & he is decent at clearances likes to get forward at time to join in the attack (both good and bad) the bad side is he has zero pace so if his positioning isn't perfect we get caught out he is also prone to huge lapses of concentration from his casual nature. He is definitely better than bednarek & Stephens at the moment but looks like he's definitely going to another club. Where is our next van dyke? Even if we could sign somone 50% as good it would be what we need!  

Edited by Mr X

19 hours ago, CeeBee said:

Pity we didn’t grab Cahill. Bit of experience would maybe have helped our defensive line.

Cahill has played in several Palace games where they’ve been on the wrong end of a thumping, including a 0-7 which was arguably worse than our 9-0 in the sense that they played the whole game with 11 men, not 10/9. Coincidentally, if you take away those two result, we have exactly the same goals conceded at home, away and in total, so I’m not sure there’s all that much 35 year old Cahill is adding to the equation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Cahill has played in several Palace games where they’ve been on the wrong end of a thumping, including a 0-7 which was arguably worse than our 9-0 in the sense that they played the whole game with 11 men, not 10/9. Coincidentally, if you take away those two result, we have exactly the same goals conceded at home, away and in total, so I’m not sure there’s all that much 35 year old Cahill is adding to the equation.

I agree. Because of having a mate who is a big Palace fan, I have followed their games with a bit more interest than I might otherwise have done. Cahill has played some games where he has looked tremendous, a real bargain. But I would also say that he has had twice as many games where he has had a tendency to disappear, and look anonymous. Strange for a player who was once a nailed-on England starter. And what wages did he command?

He's the oldest of our 4 centre backs, at 28 (Bednarek 25, Stephens 27, Salisu 22). Whilst he has some very good games and has improved a lot, we're not exactly watertight at the back. That's not his fault exclusively but, as others have said, he's certainly not indispensable and although his passing is great, we probably rely on it too much. If we get a good offer we should let him go and look to bring in someone with experience and leadership qualities to play with Salisu - surely there's someone knocking around Serie A or Bundesliga who can do a job and is obtainable. Teams will probably be happy to sell a 30 year old CB for a price we can afford. Obviously there will be limited resale value but it should be viewed as part of the investment in Salisu. Bednarek and Stephens as squad options are fine. 

The defence should be the priority this summer, even if Ings leaves. By my quick count we kept 9 clean sheets in the league this season just finished. So that's 29 matches where we needed to score 2 goals to have any chance of winning. Unless you've got an abundance of attacking talents you've got to be tighter than that.

New CB leader.

New left back.

New right or left back for competition.

Settled goal keeper.

After that, it's a case of replacing any other leavers and, ideally, adding a physical central midfielder. 

• Like 2

Salisu is quality anyway, happy to move forward with Salisu and Bednerak if we get good money for him and reinvest it. Buy a 4th choice kid to take his place in the squad and sink the money into Firpo/Danjuma.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TWar said:

Salisu is quality anyway, happy to move forward with Salisu and Bednerak if we get good money for him and reinvest it. Buy a 4th choice kid to take his place in the squad and sink the money into Firpo/Danjuma.

Need to upgrade Bednarek. He's too uncomfortable on the ball. We're trying to play out from the back, and his slow decision-making and generally poor passing put us under pressure far too often. Added to that, he's declined as a defender this season, so not sure what we'd be preserving by keeping him as a first choice.

If we use this opportunity to provide Salisu his first team birth and then use the funds to improve on Bednarek then it's probably a win-win.

Being in a defence that conceded 68 goals isn't something to ignore, all of our defenders have glaring weaknesses.

Salisu, Bednarek, Stephens + 1 (assuming the plus one is an improvement on both Stephens and Bednarek) would be a good complement of Centre Backs. Some people say you need 5 CBs in a squad but as we're Saints, I guess that fifth spot would go to a youth player (Ramsey or Tchaptchet I guess. If you pronounce the T's in Tchaptchet and repeat his name, it sounds like a train going down the tracks. 😁).

Also knowing Saints however, I think we'll start the season with Salisu and Bednarek starting, Stephens as 3rd choice and a newly signed, perennially injured CB that takes a whole season to be ready. 😉

It probably depends on who would want Vestergaard. If there are no takers this summer I think he signs a new contract in the Autumn and sticks around (which of course means we're no better off with CBs than we have been this season).

Edited by SNSUN
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If we use this opportunity to provide Salisu his first team birth and then use the funds to improve on Bednarek then it's probably a win-win.

Being in a defence that conceded 68 goals isn't something to ignore, all of our defenders have glaring weaknesses.

Spot on.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

I'm definitely not happy to move forward with Bednarek, at least as a starter. He'll do as an option for squad depth but he is a major reason why our defence has been so poor for the last couple of years. Good at last ditch blocks and tackles but is far too slow and lacking in composure.

If Vest leaves then we need a new right footed CB to partner Salisu as first choice.

2 hours ago, TWar said:

Strongly disagree. If Vestergaard does leave we need to sign a quality CB to replace him imo. Its a crucial position. You need to improve your starting 11, not buy back ups. An injury to either Salisu/Bednarek and we're relying on Stephens again. An injury to two and we're screwed

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Strongly disagree. If Vestergaard does leave we need to sign a quality CB to replace him imo. Its a crucial position. You need to improve your starting 11, not buy back ups. An injury to either Salisu/Bednarek and we're relying on Stephens again. An injury to two and we're screwed

Buy an experienced one instead, we need a leader in there.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Buy an experienced one instead, we need a leader in there.

Indeed. I did suggest Willi Orban before but think he signed a new deal at Leipzig recently. They dont even have to be overly experienced as long as they have good leadership qualities. Look at Dias for example, yes quality defender but for a kid hes directing players around him and very vocal. Leads by example. Our defenders dont look as if they would say boo to a goose, very timid. Communication from a CB is massive to the players around them

5 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

Need to upgrade Bednarek. He's too uncomfortable on the ball. We're trying to play out from the back, and his slow decision-making and generally poor passing put us under pressure far too often. Added to that, he's declined as a defender this season, so not sure what we'd be preserving by keeping him as a first choice.

Agree, but problem is Ralph loves him and thinks he is mustard so we are stuck with him. Unless of course we correct the real issue - which is the subject of a different thread. 

• 3 weeks later...

We should try and retain Vestergaard (unless he refuses to sign a new deal), but definitely need to upgrade on Bednarek and Stephens. One of them needs to go, the other become 4th choice and a new, experienced centreback signed. 

I'd go for Romain Saiss on a free from Wolves (unless I've missed him resigning for them). 

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Vestergaard still needs replacing. We'd need another centre back even with Salisu becoming 1st choice.

Sign someone cheap and young, preferably can cover LB or RB too. Maybe even a loan. Bednarek and Salisu should be our starters next season really, we have far bigger holes than to try and upgrade on that.

Ings and Vestergaard off the books for £40 million would give us decent money to re-invest. Hopefully Denmark's run to the semis with him involved bumps his price up a bit. 

Ings will be a bigger loss though so I'm not too sad about this one. Jannick is Replaceable and even if we're slow about it we still have Salisu, Bednarek and Stephens to start the season with.

4 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I'd be quite happy with Vestergaard going for £25m odd, and us buying a young replacement from Europe for £10m or so.  Get Armstrong in for £10-15m and you're net neutral.

Yeah.  Our situation comes down to maths.  We have to sell at least 1 of Ings/Vesty.  We don't have the cash to improve the squad otherwise.

8 minutes ago, TWar said:

Sign someone cheap and young, preferably can cover LB or RB too. Maybe even a loan. Bednarek and Salisu should be our starters next season really, we have far bigger holes than to try and upgrade on that.

God, I’m not sure where the trust in Bednarek comes from, he is just not good enough, Vesty is quite a bit better than he is….

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester