Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester

ChiefScummer

31 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

His passing has been excellent in the last few matches. His confidence appears to be high, keen to bring the ball forward, and he's defending well.

If only he was a bit faster than an oil tanker.

He probably wouldn’t be playing for us if he was quick.

• Like 1

If he had pace he'd have cost us about twice the price and probably would have gone to a bigger club. I mean he is very dominant in the air and good on the ball, if he was quick as well he'd basically be the complete package as a centre-back and you pay £80 million plus for those (well not Maguire) but that is VVD money and the sort of money it would probably cost to get someone like Upamecano

Good to see him improve though, tough first year but he seems to have become a little less keen to go win the ball on the front foot as much, which was catching him out as people were just spinning in behind him and seems a bit more solid in his positioning. 

Maybe the haircut helped.

Still a little worried about him pushing up in the high line as the Werner goal showed, first time punt over the top if he doesn't manage to head it then anyone with pace is in and there a lot of fast strikers in this league. 

Edited by tajjuk
  • Like 1

On 15/10/2020 at 17:45, Turkish said:

Interesting to note that the club see a future for Elyanoussi too, a player written off by the fans but clearly Les and Ross were planning for the future too knowing he would need a couple of seasons on loan to make himself saints ready. They truly are visionaries. 

Presumably they factored in the arrival of Ralph Hasenhüttl as well.

Reading back through this thread is good for a laugh. The recurring theme is 

JV has a poor game and is the worst CB this club has signed, should let him run down his contract and leave on a free because nobody will sign him.

JV has a decent game and is finally proving the doubters wrong. Good that we kept faith in him.

Rinse and repeat, typical SWF

8 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Reading back through this thread is good for a laugh. The recurring theme is 

JV has a poor game and is the worst CB this club has signed, should let him run down his contract and leave on a free because nobody will sign him.

JV has a decent game and is finally proving the doubters wrong. Good that we kept faith in him.

Rinse and repeat, typical SWF

He's obviously somewhere between the two, but I think the disappointing thing last year was that we were signing a player we knew was slow but was apparently positionally aware of this, but would also dominate in the air and was good on the ball. 

So there was hope he could become a Mertesacker type defender, yes occasionally would get beaten for pace but generally good positioning and awareness would cover this. But last season that didn't really happen, he was in my opinion rash to come out and challenge the ball too far out of position, either getting spun by the attacker or leaving space in behind. He also didn't seem to be very dominant in the air and made some crucial mistakes with his passing.

He has (so far) this season looked more what was described of how he was successful at Borussia Mönchengladbach, good on the ball with good range of passing, dominant in the air and solid in his positioning that his lack of pace. Let's hope it continues. 

• Like 2

Defence of KWP, Vestergaard, Salisu, Betrand could work though...pace all around him. Diallo in to sit in front and work backwards to cover him when he's up the pitch.  Think he offers way more than Stephens and Bednarek when we have the ball, and if Bednarek isn't committed to the club, I'm not bothered about him playing.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

To coin a cliche, he's like a new signing. Took two years (!) to settle, but suddenly he's looking like the centre back we thought we'd bought. Four starts, three clean sheets, unbeaten. He's much more calm and confident.

I suppose it was inevitable in some way: if Hasenhuttl can make Stephens (temporarily) into a half decent defender, you'd think he could do wonders with someone with more to work with.

More than happy to have been proven (hopefully not temporarily) wrong - Vestegaard has been different gravy this season. Keep it up, you big lunk.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Crab Lungs said:

Well done to him. Much safer pair of feet now. Except for when he goes for a dribble... don’t do that, Jannik

I think that's what he's cut out of his game, as I said he's simplified it. He used to try and do stupid things with the ball or get caught in positions he shouldn't be in, but he's just using his brain more now.

3 minutes ago, M271 said:

I wonder if Vestergaard has travelled to Denmark yet to join up with his national team. If he has he may not be able to travel back due to new government ban from Denmark due to Mink covid. England game v Iceland is in doubt due to them playing Denmark before then this week.

Travel ban will be reviewed in a week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54858614

Are elite sports exempt?

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Are elite sports exempt?

"Unlike other travel to the UK, there will be no exemptions to this quarantine policy," the guidance says.

Since June, elite sportspeople have been exempt from coronavirus-related travel restrictions.

The Football Association is awaiting clarification from the government. The latest rules, which took effect at 04:00 GMT on Saturday, will be reviewed after a week, the Department For Transport said.

As I read it he'll definitely be able return but he may have to quarantine for 14 days- as would several other Danish players in the PL, including some fella called Hojberg. 

This Danish mutation of the virus could be really bad news for a vaccine, which puts the importance of football in proportion IMO.

3 minutes ago, Ken Tone said:

As I read it he'll definitely be able return but he may have to quarantine for 14 days- as would several other Danish players in the PL, including some fella called Hojberg. 

This Danish mutation of the virus could be really bad news for a vaccine, which puts the importance of football in proportion IMO.

Ridiculous to have international matches on.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ken Tone said:

Mourinho just confirmed that PEH will miss the first two games for Denmark 

He will then travel to Belgium for that game sole game and he’d then be able to come back without any worries.

I wish Jannik would consider similar for us!

2 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Ralph really is working wonders on our players. Vester is another to have dramatically improved under him.

Yes I am happy to say I have to eat my own words! along with che he's really turned it around! both of these players looked absolutely terrible beyond dire a couple of months back and now they look pretty special! maybe  RH has given then the belief & lift they needed! 

4 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

Surely if he returns and gets tested negative he shouldn't need to isolate?

Tests are usually only about 95% accurate and even then only tell what can be found in the blood at that moment. That's why testing at airports etc isn't good enough for certainty.  Not worth the 1 in 20 risk of unknowingly bringing a mutated version of the virus into the UK  *if* he's been infected. 

He's had a very good what last 3 months if you include re-start but that seems a bit much. 

I mean in January we couldn't get him out the door quick enough, fair play to him though much improved.

Again though a bit like Stephens, you have to wonder whether this a purple patch of form and he'll return to more his old error prone self, or whether this a good defender who is finally showing his true ability after a poor first two seasons? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Joe Gomez injured on the England camp now. Could be a serious knee injury apparently. Gone back to Dipperland for scans . Southgate not sounding positive. I don't know where Jannik is with his contract at the moment, but methinks, based on his performances so far this season, maybe we need to secure him with a new contract or extension.......and I never thought I'd say that about the lad based on previous seasons. The transition has been remarkable.

On 10/11/2020 at 09:23, Jeremy Corbyn said:

He's a very good defender and footballer other than his lack of pace/agility.  If that's not exposed (or he doesn't expose it himself) he's always looked decent.  Maybe he's adjusted and learn how to avoid getting caught out so much.

I think it’s just that we’re winning the ball higher and quicker and therefore not getting exposed to that ball in behind him. 

1 hour ago, Saint Keef said:

Joe Gomez injured on the England camp now. Could be a serious knee injury apparently. Gone back to Dipperland for scans . Southgate not sounding positive. I don't know where Jannik is with his contract at the moment, but methinks, based on his performances so far this season, maybe we need to secure him with a new contract or extension.......and I never thought I'd say that about the lad based on previous seasons. The transition has been remarkable.

I think the main question needs to be...

Why the flying fuck is anyone playing international 'friendlies'? Why? These players hardly had any pre-season, the whole world is in restrictions of sort, yet Fifa and Uefa for some reason still feel International friendlies are important.

In what world do they live in? It makes a mockery of all the restrictions and all the work the clubs are doing with these 'secure' bubbles, if these lads can just get on a plane and go to Timbuktu. Then on top of that they risk injury and 2 weeks isolation.

Seriously, wtf is wrong with football.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 7

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jannik Vestergaard - Official: Signs for Leicester