Fraser Forster

spyinthesky

49 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Frazer on 130k a week? Is this a fucking joke?

I would welcome this, it gives us the opportunity of getting in a really good keeper and more moulded to Ralph s style of play.

They better pay us a hamsome loan fee also to compensate.

Let him go so he leaves on a free next summer and we defo get rid of him.

Edited by stevy777_x

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

He improved a bit last season coming off his line but still looked fallible on anything low eg Burnley home. Of all the crazy running of the club since 2017, Fraser’s second extension was the hardest to see any genuine footballing reason for.

The only reason for doubt would be the source of the article which is what you might be referring to. 

Mind you, there doesn’t seem to be any visible plan or pattern to recruitment. They’ve shifted some of the old fool’s worst garbage off the books this summer on the credit side but it all still feels reactive in terms of the level of business they were originally stated to do. CP have a huge rebuilding job to do but Olise for £8m was smart, even if they go down with Saints next season if the player does well they will make money.  Bet you he has a better season than Redmond or Theo. Armstrong and not getting that done is playing right into Spurs’s hands with Ings as well. 

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

I would welcome this, it gives us the opportunity of getting in a really good keeper and more moulded to Ralph s style of play.

Loan fee? They can have him for free if they take all his wages off our hands.

2 hours ago, davefizzy14 said:

Absolute nonsense this. Fraser is our undisputed number one in my opinion.

WTF?

13 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

The talk was £70k PW. If that's net, then it'd be about £130k PW gross. Or £6.7million a year in old money. If that's true, it's insane. 

34 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Weren't we linked with Freddie Woodman at the start of the summer? Maybe Fraser out, Woodman in is the plan?

Sounds like he was on the verge of a loan to Bournemouth, but Newcastle have kept him as Dubravka needs surgery. 

If FF is off, then I suspect AM will be number one and we’ll sign an understudy (maybe the lad at Accrington?) - didn’t one of the Saints kitmen congratulate him on Twitter after his MOM performance against the Skates? Possible tenuous link.

22 minutes ago, egg said:

The talk was £70k PW. If that's net, then it'd be about £130k PW gross. Or £6.7million a year in old money. If that's true, it's insane. 

Barmy.  We know he's the top earner at the club.  TBH, this is why I think we decided to involve him.  I think we spent 2 seasons hoping we could sell him, couldn't, so then it seems like we decided we might actually get more for our money by actually using him.

45 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Can’t they have McCarthy instead?

As well maybe. This was always the plan starting from when Ralph alternated them to see which to keep. He clearly decided Mccarthy was to be kept, so that a new keeper can be brought in, presumably as No. 1, whether its the Albanian guy is open to question, there have been a few links ((the lad from Accrington Stanley, but probably not as a No. 1 immediately). 

14 hours ago, Cartman said:

Loan fee? They can have him for free if they take all his wages off our hands.

WTF?

They won't. They have suggested we still pay the £100k and they will pay £30k. I doubt they will want to pay a significant loan fee either.

The numbers just don't work for us. If we have to pay £100k pw for him to play elsewhere, we may as well pay £130k pw and play him. Obviously, when his contract finally expires, it's a different scenario. 

49 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

They won't. They have suggested we still pay the £100k and they will pay £30k. I doubt they will want to pay a significant loan fee either.

The numbers just don't work for us. If we have to pay £100k pw for him to play elsewhere, we may as well pay £130k pw and play him. Obviously, when his contract finally expires, it's a different scenario. 

Hence the significant loan fee i was referring to

Edited by stevy777_x

32 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

Hence the significant loan fee i was referring to

you wouldn't pay a loan fee if you were only paying a percentage of the wages, you'd simply pay a greater percentage of the wages. 

3 hours ago, Matty's Caddy said:

JWP told my nipper that Forster was staying about 6 weeks ago….. make of that what you will….

More interested to know if JWP said anything to your nipper about him staying, anything to offer ?

I've heard from a reliable source that Fraser is on 200K per week.  It's been kept quiet because of all the angst it would cause if people were aware of it.  Also, if he plays 10 games this season it triggers an automatic 2 year extension.

Watch this space....

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, washsaint said:

I've heard from a reliable source that Fraser is on 200K per week.  It's been kept quiet because of all the angst it would cause if people were aware of it.  Also, if he plays 10 games this season it triggers an automatic 2 year extension.

Watch this space....

I heard he was on 300k a week net, if he plays 3 games this season he gets final salary pension. 

• Haha 1

From the Express article on Brighton's interest in Odsonne Edouard:

Celtic have been linked with a renewed bid for Southampton’s Fraser Forster but that looks extremely unlikely - with a new contract offer on the table.

The former Hoops keeper, was sold to Saints and then had a successful loan spell back, is in the final year of his contract but has been offered an extension.

The ex-England international would need to take a significant cut on his current earnings and as it stands the deal remains unsigned.

Forster has forced his way back into the Southampton team under Ralph Hasenhuttl but is still competing with Alex McCarthy for the No 1 spot.

The St Mary’s outfit could try to cash-in on Forster if he doesn’t sign but it would require a major financial commitment from Celtic over the next four years.

It remains to be seen if they would pay the £2million fee and make him one of their highest earners over the next three or four years.

Even then the other issue is that he would still earn more at Southampton while other suitors could also come to the table.

12 hours ago, washsaint said:

Watch this space....

Been offered a new contract

15 minutes ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

From the Express article on Brighton's interest in Odsonne Edouard:

Celtic have been linked with a renewed bid for Southampton’s Fraser Forster but that looks extremely unlikely - with a new contract offer on the table.

The former Hoops keeper, was sold to Saints and then had a successful loan spell back, is in the final year of his contract but has been offered an extension.

The ex-England international would need to take a significant cut on his current earnings and as it stands the deal remains unsigned.

Forster has forced his way back into the Southampton team under Ralph Hasenhuttl but is still competing with Alex McCarthy for the No 1 spot.

The St Mary’s outfit could try to cash-in on Forster if he doesn’t sign but it would require a major financial commitment from Celtic over the next four years.

It remains to be seen if they would pay the £2million fee and make him one of their highest earners over the next three or four years.

Even then the other issue is that he would still earn more at Southampton while other suitors could also come to the table.

Jesus - so offering extensions to FF and AM? We are doomed to GK mediocrity for the foreseeable then. 

I really doubt that we would be offering Forster a new deal.

We need him to leave so we can sign a new keeper and have a refresh of a stale position.

If someone comes in for Forster on loan and we can make that happen this summer then great. If not it will be next year.

I am still assuming we will sign a new 3rd choice GK with Lewis getting some much needed game time in L2 or non-league.

On 19/07/2021 at 14:17, Dusic said:

I really doubt that we would be offering Forster a new deal.

We need him to leave so we can sign a new keeper and have a refresh of a stale position.

If someone comes in for Forster on loan and we can make that happen this summer then great. If not it will be next year.

I am still assuming we will sign a new 3rd choice GK with Lewis getting some much needed game time in L2 or non-league.

Tbh we should have told him straightaway last summer that he had no future, we could have recouped some transfer fee.

This summer is going to be incredibly difficult with 12 months left to get anything worthwhile 

5 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

And what would be the point of that? If we're paying him we should use him.

if we paid him off at a fee agreed by both parties, FF would be free to go wherever he could. We would be able to bring in a GK either on loan or as understudy. Difference is that instead of him keeping the bench warm we have a different player in his place. He may turn the offer down but if offered 2m up front with the added option of earning at Celtic he might well take the offer.

I know I would take the money and run.

You'd think the ideal/realistic long term situation is:

1) AM / FF play out this year as the keepers

2) One leaves at the end of the season

3) We sign a new No.1, with the remaining keeper now No.2

Ideally I'd prefer we keep McCarthy over Forster, but we'll see. I don't see the point of signing both to long term contracts when it's clear that we need a new 1st choice keeper. It feels like we're finally arriving at a place over these next 12 months where we'll actually be able to clear out the high wage bill and surplus squad members. 

2 hours ago, Neef said:

You'd think the ideal/realistic long term situation is:

1) AM / FF play out this year as the keepers

2) One leaves at the end of the season

3) We sign a new No.1, with the remaining keeper now No.2

Neither are good enough to be number 1. If Ralph doesn’t get someone else in then he needs sectioning. You can’t tell me we couldn’t pick up a half decent keeper for a reasonable amount, even if it’s on loan or an oldie. 

39 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Neither are good enough to be number 1. If Ralph doesn’t get someone else in then he needs sectioning. You can’t tell me we couldn’t pick up a half decent keeper for a reasonable amount, even if it’s on loan or an oldie. 

We're not going to bring a goalie in unless we shift one of the existing, no matter how cheap they are. Not sure how that would be Ralphs fault.

Both our keepers are the example of pure averageness and are the leftovers of poor squad management over many years, but I'd still have them over Asmir Begovic or Wayne Hennesey on a free for example.

If we were to get a new goalie then it would need to be a proper investment, not just an average freebie or cheapo option.

Edited by S-Clarke

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We're not going to bring a goalie in unless we shift one of the existing, no matter how cheap they are. Not sure how that would be Ralphs fault.

Both our keepers are the example of pure averageness and are the leftovers of poor squad management over many years, but I'd still have them over Asmir Begovic or Wayne Hennesey on a free for example.

If we were to get a new goalie then it would need to be a proper investment, not just an average freebie or cheapo option.

We bought Gunn when McCarthy and Forster both had 4 years left on their contracts, I don't see why signing a new GK would be a problem when they now have just 1 year left and have proven that neither are up to being first choice. They can be shifted even if it means giving them away for free, if Bournemouth can give away Begovic we should be doing the same if it comes to that.

1 hour ago, Cartman said:

We bought Gunn when McCarthy and Forster both had 4 years left on their contracts, I don't see why signing a new GK would be a problem when they now have just 1 year left and have proven that neither are up to being first choice. They can be shifted even if it means giving them away for free, if Bournemouth can give away Begovic we should be doing the same if it comes to that.

Begovic was out of contract though (I think). Next season will come the opportunity to reshape our goalie situation in my opinion, we're not going to renew both McCarthy and Fraser so at least one of them will be out of contract next summer.

I think we saw Gunn as our first choice keeper, with McCarthy reverting to backup - sadly it didn't happen as once again our scouting came up short. We had money then though, as we still had some of the VVD fee to play with - but in hindsight we probably shouldn't have splunked £10m on him.

1 hour ago, Cartman said:

If only it were that easy. Nobody is taking on Forster's wages in full, so if he goes on a free, we'd be paying a chunk of his wages, so basically paying for someone to have him. 

17 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Begovic was out of contract though (I think). Next season will come the opportunity to reshape our goalie situation in my opinion, we're not going to renew both McCarthy and Fraser so at least one of them will be out of contract next summer.

I think we saw Gunn as our first choice keeper, with McCarthy reverting to backup - sadly it didn't happen as once again our scouting came up short. We had money then though, as we still had some of the VVD fee to play with - but in hindsight we probably shouldn't have splunked £10m on him.

Begovic had a year left, Bournemouth gave him away. The goalkeeper situation has to be sorted out now, not next year.

11 minutes ago, egg said:

If only it were that easy. Nobody is taking on Forster's wages in full, so if he goes on a free, we'd be paying a chunk of his wages, so basically paying for someone to have him. 

If that happens to be the case, cut McCarthy loose. But we can't go into yet another season with a substandard first choice goalkeeper.

3 minutes ago, Cartman said:

Begovic had a year left, Bournemouth gave him away. The goalkeeper situation has to be sorted out now, not next year.

If that happens to be the case, cut McCarthy loose. But we can't go into yet another season with a substandard first choice goalkeeper.

I don't disagree, I'd love to sort the situation right now. I think it's crap, two pretty average keepers who are backup not first choice.

But I don't see how we can put the finance towards that when we have more pressing issues - such as full back, CM depth and attacking depth (including an Ings replacement if rqd). I think those are the more pressing areas in this window in my opinion.

• Like 1

Brian Clough reckoned a decent keeper saved you 12 points a season. We’ve got a pretty weak squad, but both keepers are piss poor. The buck stops with the manager, he needs to get someone in. I thought this stupid rotation thing was to decide which one to ditch, but here we are a month away from the start and we’ve still got both of the planks. He needs to man up and tell the powers that be he needs someone else in nets. It stinks of weak yes man management IMO. 

• Like 2

There is a goalkeeper merry go happening between a few clubs.

Are we waiting for certain deals to happen before we make the decision to offload Fraser if our wanted target agrees to sign?

Think the same thing is happening with Williams too.

I expect if Utd get the two full backs they are after at a good price they may partly fund the deal for us.

8 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Brian Clough reckoned a decent keeper saved you 12 points a season. We’ve got a pretty weak squad, but both keepers are piss poor. The buck stops with the manager, he needs to get someone in. I thought this stupid rotation thing was to decide which one to ditch, but here we are a month away from the start and we’ve still got both of the planks. He needs to man up and tell the powers that be he needs someone else in nets. It stinks of weak yes man management IMO. 

Absolutely right. And he was talking when it was only two points for a win. Buying a top quality keeper would paper over a lot of the cracks in the side and actually enable us to put off reinforcements in other areas. It is a blindingly obvious solution. But we will never do it.

• Like 2

Gk is absolutely a key position and absolutely agree we have two very average keepers. 

I don’t think it helps though playing behind a piss poor defence which is why Fraser probably looked ok a few years ago because defence was good. 

I think we need both sorted and at the very least have a defence coach that knows what the f he is doing 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Agreed. Both are terrible and will cost us points this year (plus the confidence-sapping element that having players that average brings to the defence). It's an obvious need and yet again we seem to be blind to it. The strategy this time seems to be: 'we're strapped for cash, let's make one signing and then just bring the loans back and hope they have got better'

Plus we still have Redmond.

42 minutes ago, DT said:

Agreed. Both are terrible and will cost us points this year (plus the confidence-sapping element that having players that average brings to the defence). It's an obvious need and yet again we seem to be blind to it. The strategy this time seems to be: 'we're strapped for cash, let's make one signing and then just bring the loans back and hope they have got better'

Plus we still have Redmond.

If we don't have any money then what are we supposed to do? Magic some up? Put the club at risk by getting in unaffordable debt?

It seems very unlikely that we are blind to the issues at GK

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1