Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

You mean the goal that stopped them having any chance of getting promoted automatically? Yeah, I would have been very p'd off too!

I would be very happy with Jansson as a replacement for Hoedt or Stephens.

Latest reports are that both these players are in the shop window with a For Sale sign. I like the sound of Jansson's attitude and desire to win, and so should Ralph.

You mean the goal that stopped them having any chance of getting promoted automatically? Yeah, I would have been very p'd off too!

I would be very happy with Jansson as a replacement for Hoedt or Stephens.

They were out of contention by then.

Pontus Jansson christ he was the leeds player that didnt want villa to walk in the equaliser what a ****....

I agree with him to be fair.

The fact no other club will allow that to happen* after that game, speak volumes.

*unless either club have nothing to play for

After the way we threw away twenty-something points from winning positions last season, usually by completely bottling it in the last five minutes, I wouldn’t mind a dirty, ruthless c**t of a defender in our squad. No idea if Jansson is that kind of player all the time but we could use someone who might give the likes of Ashley Barnes and Glenn Murray something to think about.

From the Echo article on Djenepo. A big blow to the peeps who think we have the funds.

Why the hell does anyone quote The Echo anymore. Their stories are either nicked from twitter or guesses. I posted about Djenepo about a month ago.

After the way we threw away twenty-something points from winning positions last season, usually by completely bottling it in the last five minutes, I wouldn’t mind a dirty, ruthless c**t of a defender in our squad. No idea if Jansson is that kind of player all the time but we could use someone who might give the likes of Ashley Barnes and Glenn Murray something to think about.

With vestergaard feel we are much less susceptible to folding to that sort of player.

We still need to replace the organizational/leadership aspect we had with fonte/van dijk.

Seeing as I have absolutely no faith in our owner putting up anything other than a derisory amount of money, here is a simple solution. Put a bid in for £7m for Lyle Taylor at Charlton, looks a quality all round player who scores plenty of goals and create quite a few too. Having seen an interview with him, he speaks really well and seems to have a great attitude on the pitch, he puts in a proper shift but as I say, he scores goals.

not a bad shout that. He has had a terrific season after scoring goals for Wimbledon and Falkirk. Only got 12 months left on his contract, so doubt we'd need to spend anywhere near £7m. It won't happen.

I have no idea if our interest in Jansson is true or fake news. However I was talking to a friend of mine this evening who is a long standing Leeds fan. He rates Jansson as the best centre back they have had since the glory days of Jack Charlton & Co.

Clearly forgot about Ferdinand and Woodgate then

I can't see us spending £25 million on a centre back that we are going to loan out again, surely we would want one to walk straight into the first team at the price, and its a massive gamble for a player that barely has 15 professional games in his life.

Jansson would be a good signing, though I'd think Leeds would want a lot of money for him, surprised he's stayed at Leeds this long as he is by far the best centre-back in that league. He has though just come out and talked about Leeds' promotion hopes for the coming season, so would be a slightly odd if he was on the brink of moving. He's also a leader and a bit of a nutter as well, kind of centre-back I think we need, whilst at the same time he's still decent on the ball.

Lallana has also just come out and said he's staying to fight for his place at Liverpool, so hopefully that should rule out him coming here as we seem to keep getting linked.

The money thing has clearly got to be more wages than transfer funds, Hoedt, Forster, Austin, Clasie, Boufal, Carrillo, and Cedric, that is probably £300k maybe even £400k a week of wages there we need to shift. And IIRC FFP rules prohibit yearly wage bill rises to a fairly small percentage, so we probably need to clear those wages to offer wages to new signings. Plus there is no point having a load of senior players sitting around doing nothing.

I can't see us spending £25 million on a centre back that we are going to loan out again, surely we would want one to walk straight into the first team at the price, and its a massive gamble for a player that barely has 15 professional games in his life.

Jansson would be a good signing, though I'd think Leeds would want a lot of money for him, surprised he's stayed at Leeds this long as he is by far the best centre-back in that league. He has though just come out and talked about Leeds' promotion hopes for the coming season, so would be a slightly odd if he was on the brink of moving. He's also a leader and a bit of a nutter as well, kind of centre-back I think we need, whilst at the same time he's still decent on the ball.

Lallana has also just come out and said he's staying to fight for his place at Liverpool, so hopefully that should rule out him coming here as we seem to keep getting linked.

The money thing has clearly got to be more wages than transfer funds, Hoedt, Forster, Austin, Clasie, Boufal, Carrillo, and Cedric, that is probably £300k maybe even £400k a week of wages there we need to shift. And IIRC FFP rules prohibit yearly wage bill rises to a fairly small percentage, so we probably need to clear those wages to offer wages to new signings. Plus there is no point having a load of senior players sitting around doing nothing.

Do the wages of a player out on loan count in FFP rules? Normally a percentage (occasionally all) of the wages are paid by the club taking the player on loan. Just interested.

I wouldn’t mind a dirty, ruthless c**t of a defender in our squad.

Absolutely somebody to rival Romeo for cards and to protect our academy fledglings, Case was so important to the development of our youngsters. I noticed Dale Stephens at Brighton had a bit of that about him but I suspect we cannot afford him.

Club very silent on transfer business. Anybody seen the retained list yet?

We seem to be active despite the fanciful rumours so it looks like Ralph wants our business done by 1st July when players are back so he can euphemistically "hit the ground running" without a penalty.

We seem to be active despite the fanciful rumours so it looks like Ralph wants our business done by 1st July when players are back so he can euphemistically "hit the ground running" without a penalty.

Does a formal "retained list" get issued these days ?

Do the wages of a player out on loan count in FFP rules? Normally a percentage (occasionally all) of the wages are paid by the club taking the player on loan. Just interested.

Not sure, I'd presume it depends on who is paying their wages at the time and whether they count in the calculations, I doubt many of the people we loaned out we got the other clubs to pay their full wages.

Plus I can see us needing to subsidise some of them even if we do sell them, I mean I can't see many clubs paying Forster the £65k - £70k a week that he's probably on and he'd basically have to agree to a pay cut to move, which many players don't do, so even if we find a permanent take for him I could see us still having to pay half his wages for the remainder of his Saints contract.

But isn't are wage bill something like £120 million? And this article reckons we can cut something like £21 million from our yearly wage budget by clearing the likes of Forster, Austin, Boufal etc.

https://www.footballfancast.com/premier-league/southampton/how-southampton-could-save-almost-22-million-this-summer

So either way, I can understand why the club wants to move them on, we could create wages for 3-4 key players, basically take on probably 3-4 players that would be highest earners at the club but still wouldn't actually be increasing our spending.

The only player who’s out of contract is Davis I think (first team wise). It appears we’re in the formalities of a signing and it’s still the start of June.

Keep calm

No conference today. I hope the other news was kosher.
Adam Leitchs article yesterday said nothing would be announced until the international clearance / work permit comes through.

International window only opens on the 11th too.

The Sun (I know) says we have agreed a 13.5m deal for David Okereke, a 21 yo forward from Spezia in Serie B.

From YT he looks a powerful, quick player with good finishing ability with both feet.

Take with a pinch of salt, but the article said agreed rather than at offer stage.

He has been linked to Frankfurt, Palace and West Ham.

The Sun (I know) says we have agreed a 13.5m deal for David Okereke, a 21 yo forward from Spezia in Serie B.

From YT he looks a powerful, quick player with good finishing ability with both feet.

Take with a pinch of salt, but the article said agreed rather than at offer stage.

Has been linked so far with.

Newcastle, wolves, Derby, Palace, w. Ham.

Sounds like his agent is just chucking club names out there.

Funny, I just heard something similar from 'a source', and that as a result Austin is leaving. Googled it and didn't see anything, but now seen this which makes me suspicious of whether the source is just reading the Sun and repeating rumours as truth.

Funny, I just heard something similar from 'a source', and that as a result Austin is leaving. Googled it and didn't see anything, but now seen this which makes me suspicious of whether the source is just reading the Sun and repeating rumours as truth.

Austin was told he should be looking for a new club before the end of last season. There's no link to anyone coming in and him leaving, the club don't feel they need him anymore so assuming another club comes in he's gone.

Biggest question for us is will anyone actually pay his wages?

Austin was told he should be looking for a new club before the end of last season. There's no link to anyone coming in and him leaving, the club don't feel they need him anymore so assuming another club comes in he's gone.

Yeah, the source I refer to appears to be a pretty good one in terms of 'who' they are, but most of what I hear from them just sounds like something they have read or just made up... pretty annoying really.

It's the triple question:

1) Wages

2) Fee

3) Medical

It's the triple question:

1) Wages

2) Fee

3) Medical

Most likely scenario: a subsidised loan for a year til his contract runs out.

IMO one of our worst signings in recent years vs the expectation when he arrived.

He has been a waste of time.

IMO one of our worst signings in recent years vs the expectation when he arrived.

Really? Worse than Carillo? Moi? Mayuka? Forster? Hoedt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has he? He cost £4mil to be a back up striker to Pelle. He’s finished as our top goal scorer in 2 of his 4 seasons here, and without him we’d have been relegated in both of those seasons. I’d say for £4mil that’s not bad going. His time is up now, but let’s not rewrite history.

Has he? He cost £4mil to be a back up striker to Pelle. He’s finished as our top goal scorer in 2 of his 4 seasons here, and without him we’d have been relegated in both of those seasons. I’d say for £4mil that’s not bad going. His time is up now, but let’s not rewrite history.

He was never the backup to Pellè, he was the replacement and we got him in a few months early.

Being our top scorer is no real boast either, not when he failed to make double figures in either of those seasons. 18 League goals in 3.5 seasons is pretty poor. He didn’t keep us up, we just wouldn’t have been fighting relegation if he’d been any good.

At £4m he was worth a punt but he has been massively disappointing.

My guess would be Adams is first choice but the guy from Serie B is another option if that doesn't pan out. Think I have more hope for a rough diamond who scored 22 goals in the Championship last year to one you scored 9 in Serie B last year.

But by descriptions both sound of similar mould, quick, strong runners, with strength and an eye for a goal.

Interesting that an article I read noted how well Adams played with a target man at Birmingham, Jutkiewicz got 14 goals and 10 assists last year as well with a lot of Adam's goals coming from Jutkiewicz's hold up play and flick ons.

He was never the backup to Pellè, he was the replacement and we got him in a few months early.

Being our top scorer is no real boast either, not when he failed to make double figures in either of those seasons. 18 League goals in 3.5 seasons is pretty poor. He didn’t keep us up, we just wouldn’t have been fighting relegation if he’d been any good.

At £4m he was worth a punt but he has been massively disappointing.

Just seems a bit churlish to dismiss his achievements on the basis that they could have been better, when some players cost more and contributed less. He might not have scored that many to be top scorer, but he still did it!

You're right, he has been disappointing (not helped by this season being particularly bad), but I think that's largely because at £4m most thought we had a bargain and expectations were higher than they would normally be for a player at that price.

Interesting that an article I read noted how well Adams played with a target man at Birmingham, Jutkiewicz got 14 goals and 10 assists last year as well with a lot of Adam's goals coming from Jutkiewicz's hold up play and flick ons.

that's exactly what happened. Jutkiewicz worked his socks off and had a good season. I guess it raises a question mark as to whether Adams can lead the line on his own. If he plays with someone like Redmond or Ings he isn't going to have that physical presence next to him. doesn't mean he won't be successful. It's worth noting that until Gary Monk got hold of him, Adams' career was drifting a bit. We are effectively buying a player with one good season, although to be fair, he is relatively young. My bluenose friend feels he is a good fit for us.