Summer Transfer Window 2019

Heisenberg

Young, quick & potential. Suits what we want.
Only question is do we need to/will we spend €12m + on a RB?

Personally think Valery's emergence puts this into doubt.

We definitely need another RB, but as priorities go, more cash needs spending in other areas, so wouldn't be suprised if we got someone cheaper.

I recall Adam Leitch on the Total Saints Podcast saying the club is bending over backwards to please Ralph, and he (Leitch) was surprised how much they are for some of the things Ralph wants. So it appears he has a lot of say. Good news if true, I think.

I would love that to be true and that would completely fly in the face of my patience obliterated conjecture on the ridiculously overlong response to the post about Newcastle possibly being takeover by another of the UAE Al Nehayan house. Why couldn’t we get someone like that? Instead we get empty promises and tumbleweed in the boardroom.

I would love to be wrong and I would love to see the club back Ralph but we need to see it now. No more words. Actions. This window is the last chance saloon for a number of fans I know including myself. Fans are rightly impatient. Fans won’t be flanneled anymore. We need positive action FFS. Bring in some quality and let’s see Ralph does when he’s given a few key tools. Not tools.....I meant good players. It would be nice to see a solid English attacker who doesn’t need to learn too much to adapt to the the physicality & pace of the league.

I would love that to be true and that would completely fly in the face of my patience obliterated conjecture on the ridiculously overlong response to the post about Newcastle possibly being takeover by another of the UAE Al Nehayan house. Why couldn’t we get someone like that? Instead we get empty promises and tumbleweed in the boardroom.

I would love to be wrong and I would love to see the club back Ralph but we need to see it now. No more words. Actions. This window is the last chance saloon for a number of fans I know including myself. Fans are rightly impatient. Fans won’t be flanneled anymore. We need positive action FFS. Bring in some quality and let’s see Ralph does when he’s given a few key tools. Not tools.....I meant good players. It would be nice to see a solid English attacker who doesn’t need to learn too much to adapt to the the physicality & pace of the league.

We can’t get someone like that because we are not considered big enough and don’t have the fanbase.

Newcastle have done **** all these last 10 seasons and are still considered as much bigger than us.

You should just look at their selling price 350m while we were worth 240m when we had just finished 8th on the back of 8th 7th and 6th finishes the previous 3 seasons.

We definitely need another RB, but as priorities go, more cash needs spending in other areas, so wouldn't be suprised if we got someone cheaper.

Agree, Valery is surely our number 1 right back now and unless this Maehle guy can play further forward as an attacking midfielder/winger then it would seem it is an unnecessary £12m to spend.

Rather we concentrated on landing somebody like Lookman.

Agree, Valery is surely our number 1 right back now and unless this Maehle guy can play further forward as an attacking midfielder/winger then it would seem it is an unnecessary £12m to spend.

Rather we concentrated on landing somebody like Lookman.

Cedric is leaving so might as well have Maehle fight it out with Valery for a 1st team spot.

We don t need a regular right back and a back up player who is content to sit on the bench.

Competition for place is what makes players better and this is what we need for every position 2 players fighting it out

Completely disagree with calls not to spend on Maehle. We need two decent RB/RWB's.

We can't be in a position where JWP has to go back there again.

We need to sign a RB, 100%.

But if we are going to spend approx £50m overall, I don't know that we need to spend 20% of that on a RB when we would also need:

1 x striker, probably quite pricy

1 x attacking midfielder, probably pricy

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

But if we are going to spend approx £50m overall, I don't know that we need to spend 20% of that on a RB when we would also need:

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

Think it also comes down to who we can offload.

If you dont get the likes of Austin, Soares and Hoedt off your wage bill quickly then you are going to miss out on some targets as we’ve never bought until one leaves.

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

Strange though, that we have all those out on loan (ignoring their actual ability)

RB - Soares

CF - Carrillo

AM - Boufal

CB - Hoedt

I think it safe to say that Hoedt is the most divisive character (or maybe he isn't, as there is stiff competition), but he did help Lazio finish 5th in Serie A the season before we bought him. He did get in the Dutch national team. He wasn't great for us last season, but I do think that he has what it takes, if he can be coached properly. As it stands, we have Vester, Bednarek, Yoshi, Stephens and Hoedt. That's 5 CBs which is too many.

Of the others, it rather depends what one's view of Valery is and whether Soares, would a) make a good back up and b) be happy to play second fiddle. I suspect not to the last bit.

Boufal - who knows? I like him and hope he can play for us.

Carrillo is now 27 and should be at the peak of his playing career. He has played 214 senior A league games, and scored 48 goals, which equates to 8.5 goals over a 38 game season (which is just a tad more than Shane Long's record). That just isn't good enough.

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

This exactly the dilemma we have. We don’t have the budget & £10m is a decent chunk out of it.

Cedric is leaving so might as well have Maehle fight it out with Valery for a 1st team spot.

We don t need a regular right back and a back up player who is content to sit on the bench.

Competition for place is what makes players better and this is what we need for every position 2 players fighting it out

we've had that for a while yet still been rubbish.

I'd prefer we get back to a solid 15/16 man squad on good wages, and the rest all academy imports.

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

Not sure we need an attacking mid as a priority. CB and striker, yes. Then RB, then attacking mid. Actually, you could argue an upgrade in CM is more important than an attacking mid as well. Looks like Boufal will come back so that leaves us with Redmond, JWP, Armstrong, Boufal and Sims competing for two places at best.

In CM, we only really have three proper options for two positions (plus Reed if we want him) but one of those is always injured and the other two pick up a lot of cards.

£10m to £12m is far too big an outlay for a back up right back... I would far rather we concentrated our funds in the desperately needed areas of striker, centre back and attacking wing forward.

If we can pick up a diamond elsewhere for a few bob as a back up, then fine or we develop young Kayne Ramsey into the role, but right back is not a priority and especially at that price.

£10m to £12m is far too big an outlay for a back up right back... I would far rather we concentrated our funds in the desperately needed areas of striker, centre back and attacking wing forward.

If we can pick up a diamond elsewhere for a few bob as a back up, then fine or we develop young Kayne Ramsey into the role, but right back is not a priority and especially at that price.

Tend to agree. We have Ramsey, we also have Harrison Reed who can play RB. We are only looking for cover, not every game.

Has been a rumour for a few months now.

Would make sense for everybody - if Fraser and his representatives are willing to compromise on what's remaining on the contract a bit with the club. That second extension was the first sure sign Les was losing the plot and should have been removed very swiftly from his post at that point before he could do any more damage. Fraser would be nearer his native Northumbria, Leeds are a big club, outdoors lifestyle in the Dales, good standard of football, new coaching staff etc. Good for recovering his career and professional wellbeing as a goalkeeper.

I don’t see why they would do it though. Both Kiko Casilla and Bailey Peacock-Farrell are better keepers than Forster.
That Casilla is awful, I'd rather have Forster than him. Rumour is that Casilla is being shipped back to Spain and Forster is being lined up to replace him. Not ITK just whispers I'm hearing

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

I'm cautiously optimistic about him. Looks to have a lot of pace, seems difficult to knock off the ball and looks like he has decent touch and a good bag of tricks to beat a player. Not entirely sure about his end product, but everything else seems to be there. Would be good to have an attacking player who is properly quick in the side again.

Money well spent in Ralph’s preferred 4-2-2-2.

With such a narrow setup in the defensive and attacking middle of the park, you need fullbacks who can get up and down the pitch which will take its toll over the season. Fresh legs in the position are a must.

This is a decent, if verbose write-up of Ralph’s tactics - what stands out, revealed by its title “playing without wings” is how narrow Ralph’s teams can be without decent fullbacks.

https://soccertofootball.com/rb-leipzig-playing-without-wings/

With such a narrow setup in the defensive and attacking middle of the park, you need fullbacks who can get up and down the pitch which will take its toll over the season. Fresh legs in the position are a must.

This is a decent, if verbose write-up of Ralph’s tactics - what stands out, revealed by its title “playing without wings” is how narrow Ralph’s teams can be without decent fullbacks.

Moreover, Valery's delivery is still quite unreliable, and he often fails to get his cross past the opposing fullback. He exceeded expectations last year, but I'd be happy with Valery being an understudy/going on loan while Maehle hopefully has his two good years here before being sold for a profit.

Moreover, Valery's delivery is still quite unreliable, and he often fails to get his cross past the opposing fullback. He exceeded expectations last year, but I'd be happy with Valery being an understudy/going on loan while Maehle hopefully has his two good years here before being sold for a profit.

No way In a million years is Valery going out on loan.

He’s a shoe in to start every match unless RH wants to rest him for someone else.

Problem is we dont have a back up and we should not spend 12m on one either.

No way In a million years is Valery going out on loan.

He’s a shoe in to start every match unless RH wants to rest him for someone else.

Problem is we dont have a back up and we should not spend 12m on one either.

That depends. If the club really does want to be entirely self-sustaining, then profit from player trading will have to be substantial, as wages alone eat up the vast majority of TV money.

Part of the club's calculation for incoming signings this summer will have to be based which ones are the most likely to increase in value over two/three seasons. Maehle might make even more sense on those terms, with Valery stepping up to remove any anxiety over succession.

I think that was probably a big part of the calculation in signing Gunn last summer when a new GK wasn't exactly a priority, and similar thinking will be in evidence with signings this year.

He'll be off to African Cup of Nations with Mali won't he? Shame but I guess we'll at least get an early look at him.
If we go for him, that is also probably why we need to get it done soon.

If he does well at the ACON then it might scupper it altogether.

If we go for him, that is also probably why we need to get it done soon.

If he does well at the ACON then it might scupper it altogether.

Looks like we have got it done quick - some bright spark has updated his wiki profile to say he plays for us!

I agree with your three priority areas, but if we get a high calibre player for that price in a position where we only have a youngster with half a seasons experience I can see why we'd be tempted.

The outlay is only half the story anyway - say we get 7 or 8 million for Cedric, and save 25k a week on the difference in wages between the two (don't think either are wildly inaccurate) then the net spend by next summer would be somewhere between 1 and 4 million. Not a high amount in these times.

My only concern is that I don't particularly want valerys progress inhibited. I think he's a real prospect, and quite possibly our next major star (and by that I obviously mean our next huge sale to somewhere he becomes a major star, unfortunately ...)

Presumably there’s a chance Valery may also be at the ACON if Tunisia pick up any injuries before the tournament.

He hasn't been picked to play for Tunisia, and has been for France U17 and U18. Do you know whether there is any intention of signing up with Tunisia?

He hasn't been picked to play for Tunisia, and has been for France U17 and U18. Do you know whether there is any intention of signing up with Tunisia?

I'm sure I heard he wants to play seniors for Tunisia. Can't remember where I heard it though.

Thing is Ralph pretty much said that he only let Cedric go, so as not to block the path for valery.. so seems a bit strange.

Personally I just want to see the gaps plugged before anything else .

We need a centre forward and we need a cb.