Summer Transfer Window 2019

It's because they think he's a better keeper. And you have always had bizarre keeper opinions.

Forster became awful. McCarthy was bang average and conceded a lot of soft goals. Gunn has been an improvement and far more likely to learn and develop at his age.

The defence in front isn't the issue when you're conceding goals from stupid angles, near post or just long shots into the middle of the goal. That huddersfield away goal was ridiculous. McCarthy has had a really average career and a brief spell being busy making a few saves for a poor side doesn't change that.

Forster was always awful, full stop. Nothing to do with bizarre keeper opinions at all.

The groundswell of opinion changed on here when it suddenly dawned that after his protection was lifted, he was a massive liability.

McCarthy's hardly been given a season to establish himself but in general, has been fairly solid given a couple of 'could do better' moments.

Gunn on the other hand, hasn't been that much of an upgrade, if at all. Apparently, he suits RH's style of play and being young, according to people on here he's guaranteed to improve.

The truth is, he's not suddenly going to to turn into Ederson.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer my keepers to be proficient at handling and saving shots, not spraying 70 yard crossfield balls.

Forster was always awful, full stop. Nothing to do with bizarre keeper opinions at all.

The groundswell of opinion changed on here when it suddenly dawned that after his protection was lifted, he was a massive liability.

McCarthy's hardly been given a season to establish himself but in general, has been fairly solid given a couple of 'could do better' moments.

Gunn on the other hand, hasn't been that much of an upgrade, if at all. Apparently, he suits RH's style of play and being young, according to people on here he's guaranteed to improve.

Call me old fashioned, but I'd prefer my keepers to be proficient at handling and saving shots, not spraying 70 yard crossfield balls.

All this sweeper keeper is a load of crap. Boss your area and save shots. Simple.

It's because they think he's a better keeper. And you have always had bizarre keeper opinions.

Forster became awful. McCarthy was bang average and conceded a lot of soft goals. Gunn has been an improvement and far more likely to learn and develop at his age.

The defence in front isn't the issue when you're conceding goals from stupid angles, near post or just long shots into the middle of the goal. That huddersfield away goal was ridiculous. McCarthy has had a really average career and a brief spell being busy making a few saves for a poor side doesn't change that.

Don't think Gunn is that good. He's young and he'll improve, but McCarthy is the better goalkeeper right now.

They're both pretty meh - we used to have brilliant keepers when I was growing up Shilton, Tim Flowers and the Flying Finn, it's been 20 odd years now since we've had a decent one.

They're both pretty meh - we used to have brilliant keepers when I was growing up Shilton, Tim Flowers and the Flying Finn, it's been 20 odd years now since we've had a decent one.

yeah, you could pretty much flip a coin between McCarthy and Gunn. I guess there is more upside with Gunn.. going with youth.

I find it hard to get riled up over who between them should start.

yeah, you could pretty much flip a coin between McCarthy and Gunn. I guess there is more upside with Gunn.. going with youth.

I find it hard to get riled up over who between them should start.

How much would Orban cost and how old is he?
£20m+; 26.

And also a regular at a club that have qualified for the Champions' League for the second time in three seasons. I just don't see why he'd swap that for fighting relegation with us.

The only Leipzig players we're realistically in for will probably be the out of favour ones like Augustin. And I think I read Bruma, a winger, was being made available this summer too.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

£20m+; 26.

And also a regular at a club that have qualified for the Champions' League for the second time in three seasons. I just don't see why he'd swap that for fighting relegation with us.

The only Leipzig players we're realistically in for will probably be the out of favour ones like Augustin. And I think I read Bruma, a winger, was being made available this summer too.

Of the players that played, I think Upamecano is the most likely target. He hasn't been out of favour as much as Augustin, but he is another who hasn't played as much as he did under Ralph and is behind Orban and Konaté in the pecking order.

good player who had a very good season at Luton, often playing slightly further forward and on the other side, which with our lack of cover at right back might be a very good thing. I'd be surprised if we bought him, but once again would be happy that we were looking at the lower leagues as there is talent there.

Bit mad that a Div 1 player with 12 months contract left is worth 7.5m apparently!

I can only presume that fee is a lot of add ons as I can't see a League 1 club turning that down. That would be like the 3rd highest transfer ever out of League 1 I think and it would be for a player who could leave on a free in a year.

£20m+; 26.

[emoji1360]

Charlton ? If we heavily subsidise his wages.

Class of 92 might think they can get him going again as they start their first season in League 2. Suppose he might do a job for Tranmere in League 1. Gateshead expelled from the National League so no chance of a homecoming.

Young, quick & potential. Suits what we want.
Only question is do we need to/will we spend €12m + on a RB?

Personally think Valery's emergence puts this into doubt.

We definitely need another RB, but as priorities go, more cash needs spending in other areas, so wouldn't be suprised if we got someone cheaper.

I recall Adam Leitch on the Total Saints Podcast saying the club is bending over backwards to please Ralph, and he (Leitch) was surprised how much they are for some of the things Ralph wants. So it appears he has a lot of say. Good news if true, I think.

I would love that to be true and that would completely fly in the face of my patience obliterated conjecture on the ridiculously overlong response to the post about Newcastle possibly being takeover by another of the UAE Al Nehayan house. Why couldn’t we get someone like that? Instead we get empty promises and tumbleweed in the boardroom.

I would love to be wrong and I would love to see the club back Ralph but we need to see it now. No more words. Actions. This window is the last chance saloon for a number of fans I know including myself. Fans are rightly impatient. Fans won’t be flanneled anymore. We need positive action FFS. Bring in some quality and let’s see Ralph does when he’s given a few key tools. Not tools.....I meant good players. It would be nice to see a solid English attacker who doesn’t need to learn too much to adapt to the the physicality & pace of the league.

I would love that to be true and that would completely fly in the face of my patience obliterated conjecture on the ridiculously overlong response to the post about Newcastle possibly being takeover by another of the UAE Al Nehayan house. Why couldn’t we get someone like that? Instead we get empty promises and tumbleweed in the boardroom.

I would love to be wrong and I would love to see the club back Ralph but we need to see it now. No more words. Actions. This window is the last chance saloon for a number of fans I know including myself. Fans are rightly impatient. Fans won’t be flanneled anymore. We need positive action FFS. Bring in some quality and let’s see Ralph does when he’s given a few key tools. Not tools.....I meant good players. It would be nice to see a solid English attacker who doesn’t need to learn too much to adapt to the the physicality & pace of the league.

We can’t get someone like that because we are not considered big enough and don’t have the fanbase.

Newcastle have done **** all these last 10 seasons and are still considered as much bigger than us.

You should just look at their selling price 350m while we were worth 240m when we had just finished 8th on the back of 8th 7th and 6th finishes the previous 3 seasons.

Only question is do we need to/will we spend €12m + on a RB?

Personally think Valery's emergence puts this into doubt.

We definitely need another RB, but as priorities go, more cash needs spending in other areas, so wouldn't be suprised if we got someone cheaper.

Agree, Valery is surely our number 1 right back now and unless this Maehle guy can play further forward as an attacking midfielder/winger then it would seem it is an unnecessary £12m to spend.

Rather we concentrated on landing somebody like Lookman.

Agree, Valery is surely our number 1 right back now and unless this Maehle guy can play further forward as an attacking midfielder/winger then it would seem it is an unnecessary £12m to spend.

Rather we concentrated on landing somebody like Lookman.

Cedric is leaving so might as well have Maehle fight it out with Valery for a 1st team spot.

We don t need a regular right back and a back up player who is content to sit on the bench.

Competition for place is what makes players better and this is what we need for every position 2 players fighting it out

Completely disagree with calls not to spend on Maehle. We need two decent RB/RWB's.

We can't be in a position where JWP has to go back there again.

We need to sign a RB, 100%.

But if we are going to spend approx £50m overall, I don't know that we need to spend 20% of that on a RB when we would also need:

1 x striker, probably quite pricy

1 x attacking midfielder, probably pricy

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

But if we are going to spend approx £50m overall, I don't know that we need to spend 20% of that on a RB when we would also need:

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

Think it also comes down to who we can offload.

If you dont get the likes of Austin, Soares and Hoedt off your wage bill quickly then you are going to miss out on some targets as we’ve never bought until one leaves.

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

Strange though, that we have all those out on loan (ignoring their actual ability)

RB - Soares

CF - Carrillo

AM - Boufal

CB - Hoedt

I think it safe to say that Hoedt is the most divisive character (or maybe he isn't, as there is stiff competition), but he did help Lazio finish 5th in Serie A the season before we bought him. He did get in the Dutch national team. He wasn't great for us last season, but I do think that he has what it takes, if he can be coached properly. As it stands, we have Vester, Bednarek, Yoshi, Stephens and Hoedt. That's 5 CBs which is too many.

Of the others, it rather depends what one's view of Valery is and whether Soares, would a) make a good back up and b) be happy to play second fiddle. I suspect not to the last bit.

Boufal - who knows? I like him and hope he can play for us.

Carrillo is now 27 and should be at the peak of his playing career. He has played 214 senior A league games, and scored 48 goals, which equates to 8.5 goals over a 38 game season (which is just a tad more than Shane Long's record). That just isn't good enough.

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

This exactly the dilemma we have. We don’t have the budget & £10m is a decent chunk out of it.

Cedric is leaving so might as well have Maehle fight it out with Valery for a 1st team spot.

We don t need a regular right back and a back up player who is content to sit on the bench.

Competition for place is what makes players better and this is what we need for every position 2 players fighting it out

we've had that for a while yet still been rubbish.

I'd prefer we get back to a solid 15/16 man squad on good wages, and the rest all academy imports.

1 x CB

Thats as a minimum..

Not sure we need an attacking mid as a priority. CB and striker, yes. Then RB, then attacking mid. Actually, you could argue an upgrade in CM is more important than an attacking mid as well. Looks like Boufal will come back so that leaves us with Redmond, JWP, Armstrong, Boufal and Sims competing for two places at best.

In CM, we only really have three proper options for two positions (plus Reed if we want him) but one of those is always injured and the other two pick up a lot of cards.