Summer Transfer Window 2019

Except we don't know how much of a say he gets nor what is the new structure.

I recall Adam Leitch on the Total Saints Podcast saying the club is bending over backwards to please Ralph, and he (Leitch) was surprised how much they are for some of the things Ralph wants. So it appears he has a lot of say. Good news if true, I think.

I recall Adam Leitch on the Total Saints Podcast saying the club is bending over backwards to please Ralph, and he (Leitch) was surprised how much they are for some of the things Ralph wants. So it appears he has a lot of say. Good news if true, I think.

Do you know what Ralph all wants?

We absolutely could if we were to get rid of (rough figures)

McCarthy £5m

Cedric £10m

Stephens £5m

Hoedt £10m

Reed £5m

Clasie £2m

Elyounoussi £10m

Hesketh £2m

Boufal £12m

Carrillo £8m

Austin £3m

Gallagher £5m

Thats a total of ca £80m. Might have overpriced a couple and possibly underpriced a few, but high level we should be able to get somewhere between £60 - £80m for them. And of course the half million a week off the wage bill...

Drop the m and we might be in business there.

Has McCarthy done something wrong, or have an attitude problem? Seems odd that a steady keeper who was our player of the year last year should now be surplus to requirements.

He benefitted from an extremely low bar set by Forster's form. But McCarthy is a really limited keeper. Not good enough to be no1 if we want a better season. So many soft goals conceded.

Someone will hopefully see the england call up and think he's worth a bid though.

Leitch didn't say. But I trust Ralph's judgement a lot more than Dr. Bunsen Honeydew.

But can we also trust Bunsen's successors,whoever the task now falls to, to get the deals done ? .

Has McCarthy done something wrong, or have an attitude problem? Seems odd that a steady keeper who was our player of the year last year should now be surplus to requirements.

We need a goalkeeper who hasn't been coached by Dave Watson. They all start well here until his coaching takes effect. Wouldn't it be simpler, though, rather than constantly changing goalkeepers, just to change their coach?

Think it's more to do with the fact, we can't afford to have 3 first team keepers, no-one will take Forster, he wants to stay, and McCarthy actually might have some teams that want him.

I think it's harsh but the future is Gunn, and if McCarthy actually wants to play games he's going to have to leave to get them.

Shame they're mostly very average

Yes but we need to shift some before we take on any more, they'll probably be average as well. Really good CBs are extremely hard to find, probably because every "big club" in Europe wants 4 or 5 on their books leaving the dross for everyone else. Why look we paid about 18 million for Hoedt and over 20, I believe, for Vestergaard who's OK but not top, top .

We need a goalkeeper who hasn't been coached by Dave Watson. They all start well here until his coaching takes effect. Wouldn't it be simpler, though, rather than constantly changing goalkeepers, just to change their coach?

No doubt Les Reed secured his services on a 15 year contract with terms no other club would look to match, and we can't afford to offload.

A lot people saying McCarthy wasn’t very good despite the horrendous team he had in front of him yet proclaiming Gunn as a better keeper.

Just like they did when Forster displaced Boruc.

Weird.

I thought you’d have realised by now most people on here don’t have a clue what they’re on about. It’s not weird they just don’t understand.

A lot people saying McCarthy wasn’t very good despite the horrendous team he had in front of him yet proclaiming Gunn as a better keeper.

Weird.

Didn't Mccarthy win player of the season the other year?

Weird.

Gunn made a few mistakes towards the end of the season, but he's clearly better suited to the style RH wants to play where the keeper has to be comfortable sweeping and starting moves from the back.

Didn't Mccarthy win player of the season the other year?

Only by virtue of being a massive upgrade on Forster when it finally became obvious what a huge liability he had become.

Doesn't make him a great keeper. There were a few goals we conceded last season where his keeping was very suspect.

Gunn isn't the finished article yet, but he looks to have more potential to improve IMO.

If Macca has some decent resale value then I have no problem with us cashing in on him.

What's Henry Onyekuru upto these days?

Looked to have a lot of potential while at Eupen

@_pauljoyce: Marco Silva on Onyekuru being at Everton next season: “I didn’t decide yet. At this moment we have 4 wingers in our squad - Richarlison, Lookman, Bernard and Theo - 4 with right foot and he is one more with a right foot. We would have to think about a work permit, also."

Can someone please explain why McCarthy is suddenly so bad. He was our deserved player of the year and frankly has made as many mistakes as Gunn over a much longer period. Yes Gunn has potential to improve and yes McCarthy has resell value. That I get. What I don’t get is why so many are suddenly convinced he is a sub par keeper. I’ve seen a lot of him and he has always looked a safe pair of hands so can those calling him out explain why. Here’s a novel idea - why not have two good goalkeepers in case one gets injured. I can’t fathom why people are so keen to get rid of him given his good history with us - are people rewriting history here or am I just ignorant about goalkeeping ???

Can someone please explain why McCarthy is suddenly so bad. He was our deserved player of the year and frankly has made as many mistakes as Gunn over a much longer period. Yes Gunn has potential to improve and yes McCarthy has resell value. That I get. What I don’t get is why so many are suddenly convinced he is a sub par keeper. I’ve seen a lot of him and he has always looked a safe pair of hands so can those calling him out explain why. Here’s a novel idea - why not have two good goalkeepers in case one gets injured. I can’t fathom why people are so keen to get rid of him given his good history with us - are people rewriting history here or am I just ignorant about goalkeeping ???

No, you're just oblivious to the fact that we've got no money and he's one of few players we could sell.

Makes sense.

Weird.

It's because they think he's a better keeper. And you have always had bizarre keeper opinions.

Forster became awful. McCarthy was bang average and conceded a lot of soft goals. Gunn has been an improvement and far more likely to learn and develop at his age.

The defence in front isn't the issue when you're conceding goals from stupid angles, near post or just long shots into the middle of the goal. That huddersfield away goal was ridiculous. McCarthy has had a really average career and a brief spell being busy making a few saves for a poor side doesn't change that.