Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 hour ago, Wade Garrett said:

Have you watched us recently?

All too often. Up until the Villa game we looked like staying up was a cert. Then the usual early summer holiday.  Its not good enough really and Ralph is partly to blame for that demise. It's certainly relegation form and crap for fans. I predict the same for next year, though feel less confident than a year ago.

44 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Facts GIF by Judge Jerry

Team a has not scored before kick off

Team b have not scored before kick off

Neither team have scored.

In terms of scoring, team a and team b are the same.

Cambridge dictionary on level:

"having the same value, amount, number of points, etc.:"

same = level.

The impossibility of either team being able to score, or the football/ pools terminology is irrelevant to my post. 🙂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Team a has not scored before kick off

Team b have not scored before kick off

Neither team have scored.

In terms of scoring, team a and team b are the same.

Cambridge dictionary on level:

"having the same value, amount, number of points, etc.:"

same = level.

The impossibility of either team being able to score, or the football/ pools terminology is irrelevant to my post. 🙂

The game starts at kickoff, you can't be level in a game before it has started. You become level at the match kickoff whistle.

With yet another terrible line up and head scratching bench, thank you for all your efforts Ralph but the time is right for you to leave.  You have taken this terrible team as far as you can and it has now become embarrassing.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, washsaint said:

With yet another terrible line up and head scratching bench, thank you for all your efforts Ralph but the time is right for you to leave.  You have taken this terrible team as far as you can and it has now become embarrassing.

How would you have lined up today?

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not with that s***e that's for sure.  Play 4 at the back and 2 up front.  Play a LB at LB, not let Elyonoussi anywhere near the starting XI (just not good enough or have enough pace).

Give Olaigbe a place on the bench (at least) and maybe 1 or 2 of the others.  We are not going to finish higher and may well finish one place lower.  But that lineup is so negative with zero creativity.  Stuart Armstrong has had a terrible season, one goal apart, and the lack of youngsters on the bench but with a bunch of 'fillers' such as Djenepo, Walcott and Long there instead makes absolutely no sense.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Great question.

All of the players involved will have played in a squad that finished 15th or 16th out of the 92 football league clubs.

For perspective… Pompey finished 54th.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, washsaint said:

Not with that s***e that's for sure.  Play 4 at the back and 2 up front.  Play a LB at LB, not let Elyonoussi anywhere near the starting XI (just not good enough or have enough pace).

Give Olaigbe a place on the bench (at least) and maybe 1 or 2 of the others.  We are not going to finish higher and may well finish one place lower.  But that lineup is so negative with zero creativity.  Stuart Armstrong has had a terrible season, one goal apart, and the lack of youngsters on the bench but with a bunch of 'fillers' such as Djenepo, Walcott and Long there instead makes absolutely no sense.

Stuart Armstrong hasn't been great, it's been stop-start due to injuries though. Even though he's still our best, but that pretty much sums up the state of our other options. 

I'd have dabbled with the idea of starting Small today, but he's gone with the experience of Redmond (not that he's a LB). Not sure Ralph is a fan of Small, he arrived to much of the same fanfare as Tino but doesn't get a sniff. So there's obviously some amiss with him.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Sky Sports' Lewis Jones:

Ralph Hasenhuttl's Southampton are burning out yet again.

Over the last three seasons during the months of February, March, April and May, Southampton have won just six of their 37 fixtures, losing 23. At this time of the season, Hasenhuttl's side are relegation fodder and no wonder they tempted many punters in - myself included - at the start of this season to be relegated at juicy prices. They may end the season just two points clear of the drop zone so even though we haven't really got a run for our money the early season analysis on them being overpriced wasn't too far off. Next year could be the year to get them.

Hopefully Ralph learns his lesson on the FOURTH time of asking! 🙄

• Like 2

Just now, Viking Saint said:

Hopefully, Ralph is nowhere near our club to make the same fuck ups over and over again

I pray you're right but I've resigned myself to him being in te dugout next season. He's had these poor runs before and despite TWO humiliating 9-0 defeats he's still here. Our only hope is Dragan Solak makes an executive decision but I just don't see it.

It's hard not to be fed up, but there needs to be a tinge of realism appointed so we don't get too carried away.

Over the last few seasons Danny Ings goals have been the reason we've got to 40+ points, his goals alone kept us up. Once he was sold for big money, the club were quick to pat themselves on the back for achieving such a fee, but we needed to replace well or we'd inevitably face a struggle. We didn't replace well. Our ings replacement needed to be a success, or we needed Redmond/Moussa/Tella/Adams to step up into the fore. Neither happened.

Trying to compete in this league by selling your leading players and replacing them with duds is never going to work. I accept we're a selling club, no problem with that, but having to sell before we could even buy (and not even able to reinvest the entire fee) is a true recipe for disaster. And because we were shopping in the bargain bin, we were only looking at PL academy teams and mid-table championship sides.

So, we've got substantial work to do. Not the odd young player here and there, nope...we need a root and branch rebuild of the entire squad if we have any ambitious to do aim for the Top 10.

In terms of the manager, I still maintain that no one else would do any different with the bunch we have. Next season will be the bigger test for him with (hopefully) much more quality and all of the lingering bad smells gone. 

We'll see where we are come the pause in November, but without a radical route and branch reset of the squad a new manager will make no difference. Personally I'd rather spend the millions it would cost to pay him off on improving our squad.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

The players are rubbish and Ralph has showed he can't address our weaknesses.  Either they need to be changed or he needs to go.  One or the other.  I'd prefer to see plenty of them leave before we even consider doing the same with Ralph.

Honestly think a better, more tactically astute manager but also, crucially, a good coaching set up, would get more out of even these players. We need to make the incision and do it now. 

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

In terms of the manager, I still maintain that no one else would do any different with the bunch we have.

A new manager would absolutely make a difference

11 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Personally I'd rather spend the millions it would cost to pay him off on improving our squad.

Surely the amount required to pay the muppet off isn't that significant when compared to the price of new players? Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be money well spent in any case

Edited by Golac's Cunning Stunts
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

A new manager would absolutely make a difference

Surely the amount required to pay the muppet off isn't that significant when compared to the price of new players? Maybe I'm wrong, but it would be money well spent in any case

I honestly don't think any other manager will get anything else from these misfits. So if we do get a new manager, we'd still need to change up most of the squad. I'm not sure what our players have ever done to achieve such ratings my our fans, bar KWP/JWP/Romeu/Salisu/Adams/Armstrong S I'd say the rest are bottom half of the table quality and even championship quality. Valery, Stephens, Lyanco, Moussa, Redmond, Armstrong (A), Tella, Smallbone, Theo, Long, Elyounoussi, Bednarek, McCarthy etc wouldn't get starting places for any other team in this league in my opinion.

If we do decide to get rid of Ralph, we potentially waste a month at least searching around for a replacement whilst missing out on any targets we had identified, thus increasing the risk of us starting the season with the same as we have. If we keep Ralph we can at least push ahead with our plans and re-build this squad early.

• Like 1

It is time for a change. The past 2 months have been absolutely pathetic. No fight, no desire to win. Apart from the blip against Arsenal. There is something rotten at the core of this team. Is it all Ralf? Is it the players? Is it both? Some big changes are needed before next season. If we carry on as we are now we will be dead and buried before the end of November. 

Edited by Saint J 77
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Not with the amount of money that would cost him. He'd be crazy.

He’s done it before, he walked away from RB Leipzig with a year left on his contract. Albeit he has two years left with us.  He could come to an arrangement for a year’s salary as pay off and still do well financially. So it’s not impossible, though I think very unlikely. His contract is supposedly up to £6m a year but with that topped up from bonuses, one of which is to win the league, so perhaps £4m-£5m actual salary as a guess.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

He’s done it before, he walked away from RB Leipzig with a year left on his contract. Albeit he has two years left with us.  He could come to an arrangement for a year’s salary as pay off and still do well financially. So it’s not impossible, though I think very unlikely. His contract is supposedly up to £7m a year but with that topped up from bonuses, one of which is to win the league, so perhaps £4m-£5m actual salary as a guess.

One year RB Leipzig salary <<< two year PL Saints salary.

I would like to see Watson, Kelvin and the rest of the jobs-for-the-boys sacked. And then give Ralph a two or three shortlist of a proper number 2, and be told that person will have serious input. He can take it or leave it.

And for fun bring back Eric Black for a day so we can sack him again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dark Munster said:

One year RB Leipzig salary <<< two year PL Saints salary.

I would like to see Watson, Kelvin and the rest of the jobs-for-the-boys sacked. And then give Ralph a two or three shortlist of a proper number 2, and be told that person will have serious input. He can take it or leave it.

And for fun bring back Eric Black for a day so we can sack him again.

I don’t disagree that our coaching setup looks to be very weak. The problem with your solution is that a manager and coach need to be on the same sheet and fully working together and off each other. Would that happen if Ralph was forced to hire a coach? It needs a shake up for sure but we’re (unfortunately) locked into Ralph, so hands are tied a little.

• Like 1

On a separate note, I think we all agree that our end of season has been an abject disgrace.

I had to remind myself just how bad our entire second half of the season was last season. From game 18 we played 21, won 4, drew 2, lost 15. Not quite as bad a points per game debacle as our current dreadful run from the Villa drubbing, but pretty awful nonetheless.

Edited by The Kraken
  • Like 2

Saints Board will be looking at this season as incredibly successful. They have remained in the money league. So from business level tick. 

They will look at what little they could spend that would make a difference to deliver the same result or better next season. 

the big question is what does that need to be in terms of spend, what does that mean in terms of player turnover and how to reduce the balance of risk and to give assurance of return. 

I think the Board see changing him would be in the high risk category so don’t see it happening. 

I can’t stand watching saints at the moment and the set up around the team. Can we stop not blaming Ralph please. If he can’t  make a difference on players by coaching and tactics etc. he shouldn’t be here. As stated a lot of these players are his, or he has had enough time to change them by improving or moving on. What does he add?

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I honestly don't think any other manager will get anything else from these misfits. So if we do get a new manager, we'd still need to change up most of the squad. I'm not sure what our players have ever done to achieve such ratings my our fans, bar KWP/JWP/Romeu/Salisu/Adams/Armstrong S I'd say the rest are bottom half of the table quality and even championship quality. Valery, Stephens, Lyanco, Moussa, Redmond, Armstrong (A), Tella, Smallbone, Theo, Long, Elyounoussi, Bednarek, McCarthy etc wouldn't get starting places for any other team in this league in my opinion.

If we do decide to get rid of Ralph, we potentially waste a month at least searching around for a replacement whilst missing out on any targets we had identified, thus increasing the risk of us starting the season with the same as we have. If we keep Ralph we can at least push ahead with our plans and re-build this squad early.

I agree with many of the points you make regarding Ralph and the players we have here in our club. 

I believe this summer and the season that will follow will be our most crucial for many years. We will find out how different our new owners are with regards to investment compared to our last one.

Any regular Saints supporter clearly knows that we desperately need a new goalkeeper, a new central defender, a replacement for Romeo who is starting to falter and.....above anything else a forward who can score 10-12 goals a season. All hard to find I know and what half a dozen other premier league clubs are looking for too. 

My problem with your conclusions regarding staying with Ralph, is that even if we are able to improve the side significantly,  the likeliehood in my mind is that Ralph cannot and will not change his strategy regarding managing the side.

I think that all managers have a finite time at a club before it's time to move on. In my humble opinion I think that time has come for Ralph now. Who we would replace him with is another very difficult problem.

We here are all Saints fans. I have been on since I first attended the Dell with my old Dad in 1959. We have had some great times. But mostly we have got used to feedin off scraps. After 3 and a half years of Ralph, here we are bloody 15th in the league. We have avoided relegation by the skin of our teeth. Where is the progress under Ralphs tenure ? Thet has been none in my opinion.

We have always depended each and every season for many years that 2 out of the 3 promoted clubs would go straight down again and 1 establshed club would have a bad season. I fear that might not happen next year.

So for me , it's time for change.....and tactics....with hopefully some new signings.

I am a Saints fan. Its the hope that kills you isn't it !!! 

• Like 4

Posted in the match thread but I'll paste it here too as it reflects how I feel after 3 years of judgement...

We were a top half team before our inevitable post February capitulation. You don't get into that position if the players aren't capable. Sure we lack quality but to be in that position and plummet like we did is unacceptable.

Too many excuses. We show relegation form the second half of every season despite proving we can compete with these teams earlier in the season. We've lost to all three relegated teams. We can't hold a lead and that has a lot to do with Ralph's game management.

Over the last three seasons during the months of February, March, April and May, Southampton have won just 6 of their 38 fixtures, losing 24. This team should be able to do better than that but it seems to be a consistent problem Ralph can't solve.

If it's a burnout issue, he's had three years to adapt our game. That's on the manager. If it's a motivation issue, that's on the manager. Tactical naivety? The manager. If he's here next season all the same problems will persist. Baffling team selections, poor in-game management, subs so late they can't have an impact...

I think we've been very patient with him as a fanbase. We've suffered humiliating defeats, gut wrenching surrenders from winning positions, regular defeats to those below us, long losing runs... my patience has finally run out.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 13

9 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Posted in the match thread but I'll paste it here too as it reflects how I feel after 3 years of judgement...

We were a top half team before our inevitable post February capitulation. You don't get into that position if the players aren't capable. Sure we lack quality but to be in that position and plummet like we did is unacceptable.

Too many excuses. We show relegation form the second half of every season despite proving we can compete with these teams earlier in the season. We've lost to all three relegated teams. We can't hold a lead and that has a lot to do with Ralph's game management.

Over the last three seasons during the months of February, March, April and May, Southampton have won just six of their 37 fixtures, losing 23. This team should be able to do better than that but it seems to be a consistent problem Ralph can't solve.

If it's a burnout issue, he's had three years to adapt our game. That's on the manager. If it's a motivation issue, that's on the manager. Tactical naivety? The manager. If he's here next season all the same problems will persist. Baffling team selections, poor in-game management, subs so late they can't have an impact...

I think we've been very patient with him as a fanbase. We've suffered humiliating defeats, gut wrenching surrenders from winning positions, regular defeats to those below us, long losing runs... my patience has finally ran out.

Disco Stu.....you said everything I wanted to say.....but in a much better way ! 😇

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Over the last three seasons during the months of February, March, April and May, Southampton have won just 6 of their 38 fixtures, losing 24. This team should be able to do better than that but it seems to be a consistent problem Ralph can't solve.

I think we've been very patient with him as a fanbase. We've suffered humiliating defeats, gut wrenching surrenders from winning positions, regular defeats to those below us, long losing runs... my patience has finally ran out.

Hear hear. He’s actually a very limited manager with an even less capable coaching team behind him. Time. To. Go. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl