Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

42 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

For context, Valery was a 90th sub for relegation-threatened Birmingham in the division below (good win v QPR for them, selecting a RB who can be bothered to defend helps) and Vokins didn’t get on at all for League 1 Sunderland who drew at Crewe, having had a nightmare first couple of appearances.

It might help the first team manager if planks at the club stopped giving out 4 year contracts like confetti as soon as an academy product makes a couple of first team appearances. Make them earn it like Shearer, MLT, Maddison and Franny had to.

Isn’t that what loans are for? To give them more experience, not that warming a bench goes far to helping that.

40 minutes ago, saint1977 said:

For context, Valery was a 90th sub for relegation-threatened Birmingham in the division below (good win v QPR for them, selecting a RB who can be bothered to defend helps) and Vokins didn’t get on at all for League 1 Sunderland who drew at Crewe, having had a nightmare first couple of appearances.

It might help the first team manager if planks at the club stopped giving out 4 year contracts like confetti as soon as an academy product makes a couple of first team appearances. Make them earn it like Shearer, MLT, Maddison and Franny had to.

I don't disagree, but my point is did we need to let Valery go on loan (when Ralph has publicly said we don't like loans to develop players). 2 years ago Val was first choice over Ced and whilst he has regressed since, surely he is an option to keep even as a sub? I doubt we are making much if any money on the loan - probably subbing his wages, so why not keep him until someone wants to actually buy him? 

Very interesting comments from Ralph here. His first admission that the young players just aren't good enough? And as expected, he wants money to build a squad.

He said: "What is the conclusion for the future? We definitely see that we have a lot of young players, they are not (ready) to help us immediately, so we need to have a bigger squad in the future, this is what we know.

"Therefore you need maybe a lot of money to get this, otherwise it is tough to get players that can help you immediately in the Premier League.

“It is not the time to dream, it is about the time to see the realities.

“I really like to develop young players, to push them to become (at) one time Premier League players, but it is not so easy.

“A Premier League player has something special and you cannot make from every young player a Premier League player, this is not possible.

“This is what we have seen now and definitely we have to find the right changes for the future.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Lol c u then Ralph don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out 

Mock as much as you like but he is right and what he says is true.

Guess you will be pleased if we get someone like Mark Hughes

Edited by Chapel End
  • Like 4

I think he is right that the youngsters aren’t good enough and he needs bigger squad. Wasn’t he the on3 though that said he had too many senior players in squad and only wanted 20?  The only thing I’m amazed at is that it seems to have come as a surprise to him when he works with squad ever day and has been part of Orem league for some time. 

Ralph has installed his blueprint and style of play through out the entire club .. it’s no coincidence that the u18s and b team / u23s along with the 1st team are now more or less getting turned over each week or wen they play .. not Saying it’s entirely wrong but something isn’t working at collective levels of football at Saints atm .

• Like 1

Don't know how to quote on here.

But the post a few posts up RE: Ralph's comments.

Let's not forget he WANTED a small squad, so I don't really buy the "I need a bigger squad" claim.

He can hardly take shots at the club, if they are shots, when the current run we're on is literally effing 1pt in the last 8, 1 win in the last 13 (or watver it is) a second 9-0 absolute hammering, I straight up can't think of any other manager who survives this.

I'll give him a pass for Everton away at Goodison as we never win there, but anything less than 3pts V sheffield and it's a change of manager. 

Lampard would be my preference. Personally.

Maybe Howe.

6 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Let's not forget he WANTED a small squad, so I don't really buy the "I need a bigger squad" claim.

He can hardly take shots at the club, if they are shots, when the current run we're on is literally effing 1pt in the last 8, 1 win in the last 13 (or watver it is) a second 9-0 absolute hammering, I straight up can't think of any other manager who survives this.

I'll give him a pass for Everton away at Goodison as we never win there, but anything less than 3pts V sheffield and it's a change of manager. 

Maybe Howe.

Lol, you might prefer Lampard but would get someone like Hughes unfortunately 

4 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

Ralph has installed his blueprint and style of play through out the entire club .. it’s no coincidence that the u18s and b team / u23s along with the 1st team are now more or less getting turned over each week or wen they play .. not Saying it’s entirely wrong but something isn’t working at collective levels of football at Saints atm .

It's really interesting because it clearly works very well with decent players (when they are fit). The quandary is perhaps the balance between teaching players this system/style so that they can move through the levels more easily and destroying their confidence with the style/method and internally. 

We've been exceptionally unlucky with injuries in the first team so tbe B team will of suffered losing players moving up and so too the 18s.

I'm not worried we will go down but it's likely the league season finished very flatly. Let's hope somehow we can lift the Cup!!!

I'd would give Ralph as long as possible. On tbe assumption we get new owners sooner rather than later we could be lucky enough to afford one or two better players and things change rather quickly. Next season also will not be as squashed not restrictive and obviously with fans so lots will change and lots can change. 

We just need to get to the psychological necessity of safety for everyone to calm down and let logic set in again😂😂

Im not saying though he is flawless. I do think there's been some strange selections and his substitutions are not the most inspired I've ever seen.

I also think he needs to accept that we need to do what we do slightly differently at times. Sometimes we need to move the ball quicker. Sometimes we need to go longer. 

Sometimes we need to shut up shop.

Overall I'm very pleased he is our manager and hope he gets the results to stay here for a long time to come. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Maybe Howe.

Awful preference. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chapel End said:

Mock as much as you like but he is right and what he says is true.

Guess you will be pleased if we get someone like 

Nothing against Ralph in fact I've met him a few times at my local golf course. He's a really nice bloke. But my opinion is he's losing the players and I'm not sure he knows how to turn this around. Also he was the one who wanted a smaller squad and gave the ok for players to leave and is now saying he needs a bigger squad 🤔 

11 minutes ago, Streaky said:

Nothing against Ralph in fact I've met him a few times at my local golf course. He's a really nice bloke. But my opinion is he's losing the players and I'm not sure he knows how to turn this around. Also he was the one who wanted a smaller squad and gave the ok for players to leave and is now saying he needs a bigger squad 🤔 

He's turned it round before and I have faith that he can do it again. 

COYS 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MarkSFC said:

It's really interesting because it clearly works very well with decent players (when they are fit). The quandary is perhaps the balance between teaching players this system/style so that they can move through the levels more easily and destroying their confidence with the style/method and internally. 

We've been exceptionally unlucky with injuries in the first team so tbe B team will of suffered losing players moving up and so too the 18s.

I'm not worried we will go down but it's likely the league season finished very flatly. Let's hope somehow we can lift the Cup!!!

I'd would give Ralph as long as possible. On tbe assumption we get new owners sooner rather than later we could be lucky enough to afford one or two better players and things change rather quickly. Next season also will not be as squashed not restrictive and obviously with fans so lots will change and lots can change. 

We just need to get to the psychological necessity of safety for everyone to calm down and let logic set in again😂😂

Im not saying though he is flawless. I do think there's been some strange selections and his substitutions are not the most inspired I've ever seen.

I also think he needs to accept that we need to do what we do slightly differently at times. Sometimes we need to move the ball quicker. Sometimes we need to go longer. 

Sometimes we need to shut up shop.

Overall I'm very pleased he is our manager and hope he gets the results to stay here for a long time to come. 

Yeah agree with a lot of your post and I’m in the category of keep Ralph as boss atm ..but I’m not as convinced with him as I was wen he came in .. the prem is the best and hardest league to adapt too as it’s so ferociously fast .. sometimes I think Ralph still thinks he’s in the bundesliga where he has time to get things right.Our English league won’t give you masses of time so he needs to turn it round soon ! I’m routing for him but the clock is ticking .. would love to see wot he can do with a few quid to spend! 

4 minutes ago, Chris cooper said:

Yeah agree with a lot of your post and I’m in the category of keep Ralph as boss atm ..but I’m not as convinced with him as I was wen he came in .. the prem is the best and hardest league to adapt too as it’s so ferociously fast .. sometimes I think Ralph still thinks he’s in the bundesliga where he has time to get things right.Our English league won’t give you masses of time so he needs to turn it round soon ! I’m routing for him but the clock is ticking .. would love to see wot he can do with a few quid to spend! 

And it must be true because sky tell us it is all the time 

The suggestion of getting rid of Ralph is madness, we have had the worst injury crisis we have had in a decade coupled with some absolutely dreadful luck. Soon as our squad is fit we will be back to being a 8th-13th size club, which is fine by me. No need to panic. This season I reckon we have a good chance at an FA Cup final and we won't go down, offered that at the beginning and most would take it. Stop complaining, support the manager and the side, and watch us be better next season with a fit side and without this mad fixture congestion.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We're still talking about "adapting to the Premier League" for a manager in his job since December 2018?

Can I go retro use an expression that was all the rage back in 2010/11 And be the first to say Ralph could Be our Alex Ferguson. He need 4 years to adapt to England and he only come from Scotland, look what happened there.

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Don't worry kelvin Davis and dave Watson dream team step forward 

Those lap top meetings just before they go onto the pitch, are they just updating the player as to which way were playing?............2 nil down to Leeds gets laptop out and what ?...........the players are so wrapped up in the game or at least they should be they really dont care just point me in the right direction and ill suddenly go DEAF....

11 hours ago, TWar said:

This season I reckon we have a good chance at an FA Cup final and we won't go down, offered that at the beginning and most would take it. 

You reckon people would have taken not going down as the limit of our league ambitions at  the beginning of the season. Not after the way we finished last season, no chance. When you look at the way Villa and West Ham have attacked the season, ours has been woeful in comparison (oh and they’ve had fixture congestion as well). 

The cup is his saving grace. Lose to Boscombe and even you lot will run out of excuses for him. Lose in the semi final and stay up, that’s a Hughes like season. To salvage anything at all from this season we’ll need a sharp upturn in league form or a cup final. I can’t really see either happening to be honest, but fingers crossed I’m proved wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

You reckon people would have taken not going down as the limit of our league ambitions at  the beginning of the season.

With a cup run, absolutely. Maybe it's different for different people but personally I would far rather see us finish 15th and make a cup final than finish 9th and see us dumped out in the 3rd/4th round. It is much more exciting to win silverware and if we aren't making europe (which we will always be an uphill battle when 12 teams have greater spending power than us) then I would like to see us actually have a pop at winning some silverware. In my eyes if we win the cup this season it is the best season I've seen since I've started following saints.

If anything should help Ralph, it surely has to be the realisation by those overseeing the football aspects of the club (Semmens and Crocker) that the academy leadership and its recruitment, plus the coaching staff chosen for Ralph are just not up to the job. 

Ronald Koeman could see the younger players weren’t good enough but good ol’ Les was able to convince everyone else that he was wrong. Anyone watching these players coming through who has also watched the decent players of the past could see it too. They simply do not match the world-beating storytelling that goes on alongside the academy. The last players to make it through is the James Ward-Prowse group and how long ago was that? 

Now Ralph is coming to the realisation too that the whole academy myth is just that.

We need new ownership, a good clear out at the FDSC (that’s Staplewood to most) and a leaner operation that lets action speak louder than nice presentations.

It may all be too late to either save or keep Ralph. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

If anything should help Ralph, it surely has to be the realisation by those overseeing the football aspects of the club (Semmens and Crocker) that the academy leadership and its recruitment, plus the coaching staff chosen for Ralph are just not up to the job. 

Ronald Koeman could see the younger players weren’t good enough but good ol’ Les was able to convince everyone else that he was wrong. Anyone watching these players coming through who has also watched the decent players of the past could see it too. They simply do not match the world-beating storytelling that goes on alongside the academy. The last players to make it through is the James Ward-Prowse group and how long ago was that? 

Now Ralph is coming to the realisation too that the whole academy myth is just that.

We need new ownership, a good clear out at the FDSC (that’s Staplewood to most) and a leaner operation that lets action speak louder than nice presentations.

Reed and Target have gone on to have good premier league careers. It's was only a few months ago we had the plenty on here were demanding the inclusion of Josh Sims into the squad. The reality is that to break into a premier league team these days you need to be a pretty special player given most teams have plenty of internationals, if you get 1 every couple of years that becomes a premier league regular then thats a cracking out put. 

36 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

The academy isn't a "myth". We are currently number 1 for most former academy players in a premier league squad (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/eigengewaechse/wettbewerb/GB1/art/0/plus/1) and number 3 for most minutes. We have many top products playing in the league including Shaw, Reed, Targett, and AOC, plus players we still have like JWP, Stephens, Smallbone et al. People have unrealistic expectations for what an academy should do. Putting out one or two premier league quality players every couple of years is pretty good compared to everyone around us, and putting out one great player every 10 years is a good return really. Also as for "The last players to make it through is the James Ward-Prowse group and how long ago was that?" JWP was not highly rated when he was 21, he had potential just like Tella, Smallbone and N'Lundulu have now. Wait to see how they develop and analyse how good they are in a couple of years.

As for recruitment. Our recruitment has been quietly brilliant for a while now. Since we gave Les Reed the boot in Nov 2018 our permanent signings have been Ings, Adams, Djenepo, Walker-Peters, Diallo and Salisu. I don't think a single one of them have failed, on the contrary getting that bunch of players for under £20m each is pretty amazing. Yeah Adams has struggled from time to time but he is still a quality player and still young so well worth the money we paid. If you look at the top three signings from previous years you'll see the improvement:

2020/21

Diallo

Salisu

KWP

2019/20

Ings

Adams

Djenepo

**Reed Era**

2018/19

Vestergaard

Elyounoussi

Gunn

2017/18

Carillo

Lemina

Hoedt

2016/17

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Hojbjerg

2015/16

VvD

Clasie

Juanmi

As you can see, our hit rate of signings has definitely increased post-Reed and will continue to increase when our rubbish crop of 2017/18 and 2018/19 (minus Vest) are off the books.

Edited by TWar
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, danjosaint said:

Don't worry kelvin Davis and dave Watson dream team step forward 

Out of interest, why do people assume that Davis and Watson aren't decent coaches? 
Not suggesting they should step up if we lost Ralph BTW, just wonder whey they get bashed on here when no evidence I've ever seen or heard that they aren't up to their jobs at the club.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TWar said:

The academy isn't a "myth". We are currently number 1 for most former academy players in a premier league squad (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/eigengewaechse/wettbewerb/GB1/art/0/plus/1) and number 3 for most minutes. We have many top products playing in the league including Shaw, Reed, Targett, and AOC, plus players we still have like JWP, Stephens, Smallbone et al. People have unrealistic expectations for what an academy should do. Putting out one or two premier league quality players every couple of years is pretty good compared to everyone around us, and putting out one great player every 10 years is a good return really.

As for recruitment. Our recruitment has been quietly brilliant for a while now. Since we gave Les Reed the boot in Nov 2018 our permanent signings have been Ings, Adams, Djenepo, Walker-Peters, Diallo and Salisu. I don't think a single one of them have failed, on the contrary getting that bunch of players for under £20m each is pretty amazing. Yeah Adams has struggled from time to time but he is still a quality player and still young so well worth the money we paid. If you look at the top three signings from previous years you'll see the improvement:

2020/21

Diallo

Salisu

KWP

2019/20

Ings

Adams

Djenepo

**Reed Era**

2018/19

Vestergaard

Elyounoussi

Gunn

2017/18

Carillo

Lemina

Hoedt

2016/17

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Hojbjerg

2015/16

VvD

Clasie

Juanmi

As you can see, our hit rate of signings has definitely increased post-Reed and will continue to increase when our rubbish crop of 2017/18 and 2018/19 (minus Vest) are off the books.

The success of the current academy is to be defined by those players coming through...which is how many at a regularly playing Premier League football?

I also should clarified that by recruitment I meant within the academy. All the players ‘breaking through’ from our academy bar a couple have been rejected by Arsenal, Man City etc. or we’ve had to buy them. Many are just there to make up the numbers. 

It would be great to be proven wrong on the academy and there might be a few that come through unless we lose them to Chelsea but having watched plenty of football over the years, and like many others, you do develop a reasonable idea of what makes a top flight player and who probably won’t make it to be a first team regular in the top league. 

16 minutes ago, TWar said:

The academy isn't a "myth". We are currently number 1 for most former academy players in a premier league squad (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/eigengewaechse/wettbewerb/GB1/art/0/plus/1) and number 3 for most minutes. We have many top products playing in the league including Shaw, Reed, Targett, and AOC, plus players we still have like JWP, Stephens, Smallbone et al. People have unrealistic expectations for what an academy should do. Putting out one or two premier league quality players every couple of years is pretty good compared to everyone around us, and putting out one great player every 10 years is a good return really. Also as for "The last players to make it through is the James Ward-Prowse group and how long ago was that?" JWP was not highly rated when he was 21, he had potential just like Tella, Smallbone and N'Lundulu have now. Wait to see how they develop and analyse how good they are in a couple of years.

2020/21

Diallo

Salisu

KWP

2019/20

Ings

Adams

Djenepo

**Reed Era**

2018/19

Vestergaard

Elyounoussi

Gunn

2017/18

Carillo

Lemina

Hoedt

2016/17

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Hojbjerg

2015/16

VvD

Clasie

Juanmi

You also currently identify a chunk of players who joined our academy structure before the Liebherr’s were involved...showing how long ago it was that the academy was actually decent.

Where Ralph has failed and he has now acknowledged, is the preference of a small squad. This combined with the inability to bring in cover at full back in the summer and January has been badly exposed. Relying on two senior full backs in the PL is nothing short of a shambles.  Just taking the clubs below us in the table for senior full back options -

Burnley - Lowton, Bardsley, Taylor, Pieters, Long

Brighton - Lamptey, Veltman, Burn, March, Karbownik

Newcastle - Krafth, Lewis, Dummett, Manquillo, Ritchie

Fulham - Aina, Tete, Robinson, Odoi, Adarabioyo, Bryan

West Brom - Furlong, Gibbs, Townsend, Ivanovic, Peltier, Maitland-Niles

Sheff Utd - Baldock, Stevens, Bogle, Robinson, Lowe

Its clear Valery and Vokins dont have a future here, so new full back options for both sides will be needed in the summer. No more of this square pegs in round holes please

1 hour ago, TWar said:

2020/21

Diallo

Salisu

KWP

2019/20

Ings

Adams

Djenepo

**Reed Era**

2018/19

Vestergaard

Elyounoussi

Gunn

2017/18

Carillo

Lemina

Hoedt

2016/17

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Hojbjerg

2015/16

VvD

Clasie

Juanmi

The "Reed era" conveniently began in 2015, I see. And you singled out Juanmi as a major signing of that season and not, er, current first team regular Oriol Romeu. We also signed Charlie Austin who had more impact than Che Adams and Theo. And Cedric who splits opinion but still played several seasons for us as a first team regular. But yeah, Juanmi.

Djnepo and Adams have no more been a success than Hojberg Gabbiadini and Boufal were.

Last week was the first time since Sheffield United away in his first season that I thought Djnepo was anything other than aimless and ineffective.

Salisu and Diallo haven't done a lot yet so early to claim too much but signs look okay.

Were always promised some financial benefits when that dead weight is gone (Ely and Hoedt etc) but we'll see. Let's hope so.

Edited by CB Fry

2 hours ago, TWar said:

2020/21

Diallo

Salisu

KWP

2019/20

Ings

Adams

Djenepo

**Reed Era**

2018/19

Vestergaard

Elyounoussi

Gunn

2017/18

Carillo

Lemina

Hoedt

2016/17

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Hojbjerg

2015/16

VvD

Clasie

Juanmi

Danny Ings was a Les Reed era signing. It was a loan with an obligation to buy, only someone wishing to skew the facts would put him in the post Reed pot. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Danny Ings was a Les Reed era signing. It was a loan with an obligation to buy, only someone wishing to skew the facts would put him in the post Reed pot. 

More like a Ross Wilson signing. Reed’s departure was already on the cards that summer.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

More like a Ross Wilson signing. Reed’s departure was already on the cards that summer.

Oh, I see how it works now. The Les Reed era starts, not when he joins the club, not even when he’s promoted, but after great signings like Mane, Pelle, Bertrand have been signed. And it ends, not when he leaves, but when “it’s on the cards” and we can discount Danny Ings. 

3 hours ago, TWar said:

2020/21

Diallo

Salisu

KWP

2019/20

Ings

Adams

Djenepo

**Reed Era**

2018/19

Vestergaard

Elyounoussi

Gunn

2017/18

Carillo

Lemina

Hoedt

2016/17

Boufal

Gabbiadini

Hojbjerg

2015/16

VvD

Clasie

Juanmi

You've convieniently missed off a few of Reeds better signings, Armstrong, Bednarek, McCarthy, Redmond. Also Ings was signed on loan with a compulsary purchase on Reeds watch so you have presented your facts incorrectly. These 5 transfers make Reeds record a lot more credibile. You could also argue that the jury is still out on Diallo and Salisu, good signs but they've only played about 10 games between, also Djenepo has been hit and miss. 

1 minute ago, saint lard said:

Anything less than 3 points against Sheffield United he should be sacked. 
It’s long overdue. 
he won’t be though. 

It's got to that point I think. Sheffield United is a huge game for our survival and Ralphs future.

• Like 1

Might be in a growing minority but I still think once we get KWP back and get one good result the confidence will come back a bit to some of the attackers.

I don't think our poor run is all down to Ralph suddenly being a poor Manager and don't think that its worth getting rid of him just before a kind run of fixtures.

Look at tonight, our three subs were Tella, N'Lundulu and Watts. Ralph certainly doesn't have a great hand to play at the moment and surely he has done enough to earn a chance to improve the situation once he has a few more options?

• Like 1

Just now, Dusic said:

Might be in a growing minority but I still think once we get KWP back and get one good result the confidence will come back a bit to some of the attackers.

I don't think our poor run is all down to Ralph suddenly being a poor Manager and don't think that its worth getting rid of him just before a kind run of fixtures.

Look at tonight, our three subs were Tella, N'Lundulu and Watts. Ralph certainly doesn't have a great hand to play at the moment and surely he has done enough to earn a chance to improve the situation once he has a few more options?

He could have played Tella and Ramsay. Possibly Jankewitz as well. Needs to be braver

1 minute ago, Dusic said:

I don't think you're in the minority, I think most people feel that way. The problems are deeper than the manager and I've said that for years.

Just now, whelk said:

He could have played Tella and Ramsay. Possibly Jankewitz as well. Needs to be braver

Ramsay who has been ripped apart whenever he has played?

Jankewitz who he probably rightly has no trust in?

Personally I don't think those things would have made a real difference, and certainly aren't ridiculous decisions from Ralph.

3 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Yeah, get KWP & Diallo back & see how we do.  I’m still looking over my shoulder, though. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl