Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

1 minute ago, trousers said:

And none of them had Saints performing as a top 6 side for a whole calendar year. Swings and roundabouts...

#onlyfocusonthebadstuff 

I think its fair for fans to focus on what's going wrong when it clearly is (2021), just as fans will focus on what's going right when it clearly was (2020). 

5 minutes ago, Jonnyboy said:

I think its fair for fans to focus on what's going wrong when it clearly is (2021), just as fans will focus on what's going right when it clearly was (2020). 

Maybe it'll all start to go right again if we exercise a little patience and pragmatism ?(I know, I know... The hope of patience + pragmatism on a football forum is chortle central) :)

Edited by trousers

This talk about Ralph not being good enough is bonkers, we are on a bad run but overall we have had fantastic results with him.

Our current run is mostly due to our injuries and incompetency from officials.

We will keep him as we need the continuity, may I remind everyone that we have the SFC playbook right through the club now.

So he is not going anytime in the near future, who better do we have to implement the SFC playbook?

yes you guessed it the one who designed it !

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

This talk about Ralph not being good enough is bonkers, we are on a bad run but overall we have had fantastic results with him.

Our current run is mostly due to our injuries and incompetency from officials.

We will keep him as we need the continuity, may I remind everyone that we have the SFC playbook right through the club now.

So he is not going anytime in the near future, who better do we have to implement the SFC playbook?

yes you guessed it the one who designed it !

The club have obviously given him an 'open book' to implement his ideas club wide, so they obviously trust him as much as most of us fans do.

Now he needs to be trusted in the transfer market. Please Gao, just give him a tiny bit of flexibility to add the missing ingredients to this team without having to sell off half the squad before hand. We feel so close, yet so far at the same time. 

21 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The club have obviously given him an 'open book' to implement his ideas club wide, so they obviously trust him as much as most of us fans do.

Now he needs to be trusted in the transfer market. Please Gao, just give him a tiny bit of flexibility to add the missing ingredients to this team without having to sell off half the squad before hand. We feel so close, yet so far at the same time. 

Gao investing isn’t gonna happen anytime soon.

We have to hope some interested party buys him his shares and that they come with a long term plan.

If that doesn’t happen, we are seriously fucked.

1 hour ago, Jonnyboy said:

Damn, so not even Branfoot, Redknapp or Poortvliet have have had that record. 

Br*nf**t had 5 league wins in a row!

Anyway, in Ralph we trust. I hope he's with us for a record number of years. After we win the Cup this season this unpleasant/unlucky run will become a distant memory. (Except for the bloody taters who'll be mentioning the two nine nils for the next decade.)

Keep Ralph, get rid of Gao, pray someone buys us who intends to back Ralph over a few windows and then watch us go.

Look at the financial doping wolves team today, they have spent ridiculous amounts on players since theyve been up, bringing on a 35m teenager for the last quarter just an example.

Last 2 seasons they've spent 105m NET 

We spent 45m including the 20m for ings

Edited by Convict Colony

1 minute ago, Convict Colony said:

Keep Ralph, get rid of Gao, pray someone buys us who intends to back Ralph over a few windows and then watch us go.

Look at the financial doping wolves team today, they have spent ridiculous amounts on players since theyve been up, bringing on a 35m teenager for the last quarter just an example.

How do the club “get rid of Gao”?

He’s not going to ‘sack’himself as our majority shareholder is he ? 

Apart from that, yes keep Ralph, and pray for divine intervention and someone better to buy the club (whilst accepting that the Almighty might have what He considers more deserving cases for intervention in the pending tray at the moment). 

(Have I just set MLG up for a rant about divine intervention?)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I was talking about my dream for the club, not a literal implementation plan on how to oust the owner 🤣🤣🤣

You've been scarred from MLG too many times.

No but if you say it quick enough, getting rid of Gao, seems a easy and plausible route to go... just wish it was that simple.

No not particularly scarred by MLG, just know certain issues and comments will bring him hurtling out of his cave ! 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

What’s re the genuine missing ingredients? It always seems to be close to getting there like you say 

the team has performed well and in most games has started well before seemingly the opposition adjusts

A quick count (so might be wrong) has us dropping 16 points from winning positions this season. That seems a massive amount 

ive said it before but it seems to me Ralph’s training ground and pre match stuff seems to be some of the best in the league but in game he would have to be close to the worst, so I think we need to find a way to improve that and it would be worth more than any money we could spend on players

5 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

ive said it before but it seems to me Ralph’s training ground and pre match stuff seems to be some of the best in the league but in game he would have to be close to the worst, so I think we need to find a way to improve that and it would be worth more than any money we could spend on players

Interesting point, what’s the answer though ? Allow him to bring in another coach of his own choice perhaps.

not sure what his sidekick’s (Bitchkicker or whatever) area of expertise is, but does seem a defensive coach wouldn’t go amiss.Attracting one mid-season though might be difficult. 

12 minutes ago, MAY-Z said:

What’s re the genuine missing ingredients? It always seems to be close to getting there like you say 

the team has performed well and in most games has started well before seemingly the opposition adjusts

A quick count (so might be wrong) has us dropping 16 points from winning positions this season. That seems a massive amount 

A spine.

We need a goal keeper who isn't afraid to shout. We need a centre back in the Fonte/Cahill/Evans mode - experienced leader. We need a solid defensive midfielder who has the energy to go box to box and isn't afraid to get stuck in to his own team mates or the opposition.

Then you can supplement the side with Ings, JWP, KWP, Vestergaard, Armstrong etc and it starts to look like a decent side.

But without those additions to the spine of this side we will continue to be a very meek side, happy with things when the going is good and playing well...but we will always struggle and sink when the going gets tough (and that always happens during a season).

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

Just now, Badger said:

Interesting point, what’s the answer though ? Allow him to bring in another coach of his own choice perhaps.

not sure what his sidekick’s (Bitchkicker or whatever) area of expertise is, but does seem a defensive coach wouldn’t go amiss.Attracting one mid-season though might be difficult. 

It’s hard to know the answer as we don’t get to see the coaching interactions in training / pre game planning, but I would presume Ralph leads a lot of so I would assume he should get the credit for that.

it’s hard for me to comment on the match day stuff as my first hand experience is from my role in Australian Rules Football where there is head coach making the final calls but a committee of maybe 5-6 giving various snippets of advice, my feeling is that football managers wouldn’t cope well with that set up? But I think something definitely needs tweaking on match day

Ralph needs to learn how to park the bus but it would be foolish to sack him IMO.

Our poor run has just been the result of a perfect storm of having a small squad, a crazy schedule, injuries to key players, a high tempo playing style, and all whilst taking the cup seriously. If we had put the reserves out midweek and thrown the cup we probably would have won today.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

A spine.

We need a goal keeper who isn't afraid to shout. We need a centre back in the Fonte/Cahill/Evans mode - experienced leader. We need a solid defensive midfielder who has the energy to go box to box and isn't afraid to get stuck in to his own team mates or the opposition.

Then you can supplement the side with Ings, JWP, KWP, Vestergaard, Armstrong etc and it starts to look like a decent side.

But without those additions to the spine of this side we will continue to be a very meek side, happy with things when the going is good and playing well...but we will always struggle and sink when the going gets tough (and that always happens during a season).

That lad Reed at Fulham looks good. Ran the game against Everton yesterday. Nice little piece on his performance on MOTD last night. 

Generally though, I agree with you. We are meek, there's no obvious leader out there, and the heads go down too quickly. I can't believe that there isn't one player with leadership qualities, and as much as I like JWP as a player, he's not captain material. 

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

A spine.

In a nutshell. Remember how Peter Schmeical used to shout at his defence.

4 hours ago, skintsaint said:

No - that will be left for a very nauseating media heavy return of Stevie Gerrard....

I seem to remember previously a former LIverpool midfield legend returned to the club as manager after a successful spell managing Rangers. He took over a very good Liverpool side and started their slide which led to their 20+ years without the league title. Let's hope Gerrard has a similar impact. 

• Haha 3

It’s easy to do ‘ifs’ and ‘maybes’ but I think some genuinely baffling refereeing aside we would be on 33/35 points and the faint murmurings of crisis on the horizon wouldn’t be surfacing.

The football we have played under Ralph has been some of the best I have seen in years and it’s with a side with nowhere near the talent Koeman had. He’s had the team look much more than the sum of its parts and I go into every game genuinely believing we could get a result.

it’s fair to say his game management can be criticised but, in mitigation, the squad has its limits. 

I would love to see what Ralph could achieve with a little backing. As others have said, who would be doing better with this squad that would realistically come to us? It’s the same as when many slag Redmond for being inconsistent. If he wasn’t so inconsistent I feel confident to say he would be playing for a bigger club, much the same goes for Ralph, if he was the finished article he wouldn’t be with us. He’s developed in his time with us and the players have too, my guess is this will continue to happy particularly as Ralph presents as reflective and self aware (comparative to say a Steve Bruce type manager).

• Like 8

46 minutes ago, UpweySaint said:

It’s easy to do ‘ifs’ and ‘maybes’ but I think some genuinely baffling refereeing aside we would be on 33/35 points and the faint murmurings of crisis on the horizon wouldn’t be surfacing.

The football we have played under Ralph has been some of the best I have seen in years and it’s with a side with nowhere near the talent Koeman had. He’s had the team look much more than the sum of its parts and I go into every game genuinely believing we could get a result.

it’s fair to say his game management can be criticised but, in mitigation, the squad has its limits. 

I would love to see what Ralph could achieve with a little backing. As others have said, who would be doing better with this squad that would realistically come to us? It’s the same as when many slag Redmond for being inconsistent. If he wasn’t so inconsistent I feel confident to say he would be playing for a bigger club, much the same goes for Ralph, if he was the finished article he wouldn’t be with us. He’s developed in his time with us and the players have too, my guess is this will continue to happy particularly as Ralph presents as reflective and self aware (comparative to say a Steve Bruce type manager).

Excellent post.  

• Like 1

On 15/02/2021 at 13:56, UpweySaint said:

Spot on!

9 minutes ago, sydenhamssocks said:

Yep, that’s the way I saw it too. Distancing a little , it’s self preservation time ! 

Some of the points are valid, some are not. We didn't have any injury or ref decisions go against us in the sh!t show against Newcastle, they played 20 minutes against us with 9 men and didn't concede, we played 5 minutes against Man U with 9 and conceded 3. Game changing decisions against Villa and Wolves though. We win those and everyone feels a lot better. As others have said though we are flat track bullies but get a bit of adversity and we are fall apart. 

• Like 2

For the first time I am starting to crack just a little bit. We haven't looked like scoring pretty much since Arsenal went to 10 men. The odd set piece or moments of magic here and there, but in terms of regularly carving out good goal scoring opportunities it just isn't there. Okay it's been an exhausting season and a few of the players are burnt out. But we should be doing better than this. 

I have some sympathy- these players without Ralph and under anyone else would be gone by now- all these players are distinctly average/ lower half PL players apart from Ings. 
Unless we move with the times and into the next rung of good transfers in the £15m to £25m mark; finding gems at £8m to £14m will only take you so far. 

However; compare this Leeds squad to ours- can we expect to do better than Leeds? That’s one gauge of Ralph’s ability- would he have taken Leeds to 35pts the way Bielsa has? I’m not sure. 

The alternative might be to hire someone else, sure we may get a new manager bounce but I am certain if we do that our PL status will be gone in a few seasons with the way we are run.

My blame largely lies with Gao at the moment, but also at Les Reed for wasting the little money we had.

Edited by nta786
  • Like 4

I don't know what he's supposed to do. He's been lumbered with a team full of losers that he's tried to polish as much as he can.

The polish has come off and the shit is shining through again. What can he do? He claimed as much he'd have brought in players if he could, but we have no money.

He needed backing. When he goes (He'll walk IMO) he will walk into a club, get some backing and you'll see what he's all about when a club affords him some flexibility to mould a squad in his ideas. This is a mish mash of a squad that he is TRYING to evolve into his style.

He did miracles to make this rabble play as well as they have done. They are a shit team, shit bunch of players. If I was Ralph, I'd cut my losses and walk away from the losers.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

My blame largely lies with Gao at the moment, but also at Les Reed for wasting the little money we had.

Agree. 

Poor squad, little investment, compounded by injuries.

Why people start bandying names like the Brentford manager about is ridiculous, they are ambitious, seem well run and could be promoted. Why leave that for Gao, and the penniless Saints.

• Like 2

I genuinely like Ralph and think he's a good manager. That being said I don't think anyone outside of this football club would be shocked at him getting the boot now. He's lost 7 in 8 and had two record defeats. It's fucking embarrassing being a Saints fan at the moment, absolutely awful. 

Just now, Saint_Jonny said:

I genuinely like Ralph and think he's a good manager. That being said I don't think anyone outside of this football club would be shocked at him getting the boot now. He's lost 7 in 8 and had two record defeats. It's fucking embarrassing being a Saints fan at the moment, absolutely awful. 

To be replaced by who ? 

Unless there is some £ available in the summer, and that seems unlikely, no new manager will be able to put his stamp on the club. Up shit creek whilst Mr Gao remains here. Other than a short term fix and boost perhaps (and we could do with one that's for sure), a new manager solves nothing.

• Like 2

IMO some of our fans rate our players too highly.

They are generally, shit. That's why I think he's done great to even get us doing as well as we have done, or even spoken about as being a 'Top half' team.

Truth be told we have a lot of very poor players, not quite good enough. Adams, Redmond, Bertrand (legs have gone).

Then you have the other level - Romeu, Bednarek, Vestergaard, JWP, McCarthy, Moussa, Armstrong - can be decent when the going is good, but prone to head fucks and shrink during adversity.

Ings is prob the best player we have. He's better off out of it.

That is a terrible makeup of a squad.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

Utter garbage and unfortunately I think Ralph's time is up - all the indicators are he's lost the dressing room. Think it's time for Eddie to come in and work some magic before the season is a complete disaster. Then complete the overhaul of a dysfunctional squad starting with Redmond, Bertrand, Djenepo, McCarthy and Adam's.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

IMO some of our fans rate our players too highly.

They are generally, shit. That's why I think he's done great to even get us doing as well as we have done, or even spoken about as being a 'Top half' team.

Truth be told we have a lot of very poor players, not quite good enough. Adams, Redmond, Bertrand (legs have gone).

Then you have the other level - Romeu, Bednarek, Vestergaard, JWP, McCarthy, Moussa, Armstrong - can be decent when the going is good, but prone to head fucks and shrink during adversity.

Ings, KWP, JWP prob the 3 top half players we have.

That is a terrible makeup of a squad.

This but i feel Romeu is the best player at moment

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Utter garbage and unfortunately I think Ralph's time is up - all the indicators are he's lost the dressing room. Think it's time for Eddie to come in and work some magic before the season is a complete disaster. Then complete the overhaul of a dysfunctional squad starting with Redmond, Bertrand, Djenepo, McCarthy and Adam's.

Is that 'Relegated Eddie' from Bournemouth ?

With one relegation on his CV he probably doesn't want to take a job fighting another.

A lot of what Ralph brings is excellent but it seems there’s a gaping hole in his skill set that he cannot learn to fill. 

I want him to stay and be successful but starting to wonder. 

Then who could we attract that would be an improvement, given our severely limited resources?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl