Ralph Hasenhuttl

Edmonton Saint

I don't blame the manager, its not his fault the team literally capitulated.

We have too many players who are mentally fragile and think they are better then they are. Most of our players have been coasting for 3-4 years thinking they are part of the a top 8 team, they think they can beat people by just turning up.

The squad needs an overhaul, we need committed fresh players, but with no owner investment and high paid flops on the books its not going to happen.

We are going to do a Sunderland I think, could easily see us in League 1 in a few years still trying to get rid of Gao and hamstrung with over paid players still on the books.

Changing the manager doesn't do anything.

It's hardly making excuses . I've been pointing out the crap quaility of the squad for four seasons now. All the managers, we've had since Koeman, have made mistakes, no doubt, but you can't get past the absolute dross that now fills our squad.

It is impossible to make a matchday 11, out of the current squad, without knowing 90% of them aren't good enough for the PL.

You can complain about Gunn, JWP and Vest, and yes they are crap, but if you really think McCarthy, Armstrong and Stephens are going to make us somehow much better you're deluded.

Most of our squad are barely good enough to be back ups let alone starters. We can keep chopping and change managers, and maybe get a bit of a new manager bounce, but in the end this group of players will always end up back to their natural performance levels just like they have for three seasons now.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sacking the manager won't make us a better team. We won't go from poor to amazing even with Pep in charge.

But I don't understand some of the thinking going on here. Most of the players are internationals. Some have won trophies elsewhere. Ralph himself has got far better results with basically the same team.

If the players are the main problem then its the managers job to drop those who are not performing. You say those players above wouldn't make us better but in truth they wouldn't make us worse neither.

As they pointed out on tv when 10 play 11 most of the time it becomes harder for the 11. Because they give up on attacking and simply defend.

Brighton vs Bompey ended 2-1 with an early red.

Burnley vs Everton was 1-0 with a 50th min red.

Us vs Spurs was 2-1 with a 30 mins red.

Watford vs Arsenal was 0-1 with a 10th min red

And in some cases teams with 10 men can still win

Burnley Leicester was 1-2 after a 4th min red

Point being even with 11 men we looked like we would get mauled.

Sacking Ralph won't cure our problems. But it could cure some of them. Playing players out of position, ultra negative tactics, constantly picking players who are out of form and not giving anyone else a chance.

Tactics wise we set up to try and keep the teams out. But how many goals are scored quite early?

Yesterday 12th min

Chelsea 17th min

Bompey 10th min

Spurs 20th min

Utd 10th min

In the Spurs game he waited until the 80th minute to make any changes. 50 mins after they were playing with 10 men. Then eventually brought on Long in the 89th min.

So when we set up as we do and that early goal goes in as it does in almost every game our whole defensive set up makes it near impossible to get back into the game.

I don't blame Ralph for everything but every manager in this league would love a perfect squad with every player they want. That is pure fantasy and a **** excuse. Before the start of the season would you say Sheff Utd, Villa, Brighton etc had better squads than us?

Sheff Utd and Burnley imo are a fine example of good managers getting the best out of average players. The same could be said of Howe and various others.

Ralph isn't getting any of the players playing above themselves, has strange tactics, even stranger delayed reactions to in match events. Crazy late subs and starting line-ups which quite frankly are pathetic and ooze capitulation before a ball has even been kicked. There is no positivity there at all. He himself said he authorised the signings of the players this summer. How many started recent games? As Ings was here last year you can't really count him. So the answer is zero.

If he get's sacked it won't be because we lost 0-9, it will be because he has a 13% win ratio over the past 15 pl games.

It's hardly making excuses . I've been pointing out the crap quaility of the squad for four seasons now. All the managers, we've had since Koeman, have made mistakes, no doubt, but you can't get past the absolute dross that now fills our squad.

It is impossible to make a matchday 11, out of the current squad, without knowing 90% of them aren't good enough for the PL.

You can complain about Gunn, JWP and Vest, and yes they are crap, but if you really think McCarthy, Armstrong and Stephens are going to make us somehow much better you're deluded.

Most of our squad are barely good enough to be back ups let alone starters. We can keep chopping and change managers, and maybe get a bit of a new manager bounce, but in the end this group of players will always end up back to their natural performance levels just like they have for three seasons now.

You have been saying it so fair play for that..

I have to disagree with a couple of points though.. 90 percent of our squad not good enough for the prem seems pretty crazy and exaggerated apart from our centre backs who yes most of them are shocking, we have enough decent options in attack and mf and wide positions as the majority of the rest of the bottom 10..

Also I don’t think it’s deluded that changes like say McCarthy in place of Gunn boufal or Armstrong for jwp depending on formation wouldn’t make any difference etc.this could make a lot of difference. How about trying Danso as well as romeau in dm and trying a 4231.. to protect the defence better whilst still giving us some pace and creativity we could play Armstrong in a 10 with boufal and redmond wide behind Ings in that formation or differnnt variants..

Also Ralph had time last year to learn the squad and know what we need and didn’t need, If in all his time since January he didn’t notice we need a decent cb then he probably doesn’t deserve the job anyway as he is blind. We can’t keep laying this on recruitment all the time.. for example koeman signed the likes of pelle Tadic clasie martina etc and others.. Pellegrino even signed Carillo..there is no reason Ralph couldn’t have signed a cb of his own choice or one recomended by the scouts,as far as I’m concerned he had final say on Danso, and now deems him not good enough to start or he doesn’t have the authority over the board that koeman had, either is worrying

And we were at home thats all i keep thinking on today ,our home form over the last few seasons is well,absolutly appauling.

How do you season ticket holders put up with it ,watching millionaire footballers of our club turn in at best average performances hoping to intise the crowd to participate in come on you Saints etc....but

how do you motivate yourself to beat your chest and try to motivate the players likewise when they dont seem to enjoy themselves making a living chassing a leather object around the park.

We as fans should not have to endure such rubbish churned out week in week out for the last 3-4 managers is there any wonder why theres no bloody atmosphere? whats to get excited about...................

on the positive side of things.................................................................................................................................there arnt non sadly.

How do you season ticket holders put up with it ,watching millionaire footballers of our club turn in at best average performances hoping to intise the crowd to participate in come on you Saints etc....but

how do you motivate yourself to beat your chest and try to motivate the players likewise when they dont seem to enjoy themselves making a living chassing a leather object around the park.

Because you turn up at the next game hoping things will have changed and that there'll be a positive result.

It's the hope that kills you.

The manager has made some utterly head scratching decisions this season but I have to say that while he has not been good the problems at our club lie far, far deeper than the manager.

4 managers on the trot and the same issues - that speaks more to behind the scenes, continuity of coaches, etc.

Most wanted Puel gone - how smart does that look in hindsight? So Ralph goes, another comes in and after 6 months the same conversations will be had. At some stage the spotlight needs to be shone on wtf is going on at the club behind the scenes.

This group of players make me want to puke - PEH in particular is a pub league player masquerading as a Prem player with all the soundbites but nothing to back it up with.

He has to take the bull by the horns and reset. Firstly his own philosophy, get rid of this safety first selection with two attackers all it does is invite teams to attack. Drop JWP and Vestergaard both too slow and in JWP's case a totally negative passer. Go to a back four. One central holding midfielder, two attacking midfielders and three forwards. Armstrong and Boufal, Djenepo, Ings, Redmond, Adams etc. Do it on Tuesday in the cup.

I can see him selecting the back four that finished last night. Questions, could Stephens or Danso be tried as a disciplined holding midfielder, Romeu deoesn't hold he plays as a midfielder and often leaves gaps, Hojbjerg the same. Could Hojbjerg be one of the attacking midfielders.IMO Romeu needs to be more disciplined and hold in front of the CBs.

Most of all the team needs balance and blend, No more JWP at CM, RM, LWB, RWB, he is ****ing hopeless. For me 4-1-2-3, High tempo, cut out the possession obsession and get the ball up to the forwards either one ball or a number but cut out the backwards and sideways. Backing off, not pressing, leaving the opponents free resulted in last nights fiasco.

As it is I've had it with SMS. I have a season ticket but I decided after the trash produced against Bournemouth and Chelsea I decided I wasn't going last night. JWP sums up Saints for me at the moment, lots of bull****, mythical delivery, slow, weak and negative.

I will say that historically, poor defences with goal scoring forwards do better than poor defences with few forwards.

Edited by derry

There is a big difference between an Italian banker as chairman who despite having little knowledge of football, sold his vision

and a 5 year plan for PL and European football to a Swiss billionaire and our present potless Chinese chairman.

Under Cortese Ralph would have been sacked at half-time last night and a new manager would be in already.

We have to be honest and say Ralph didn't come in at the beginning of something he came in at the end of it.

The best is over.

There is a big difference between an Italian banker as chairman who despite having little knowledge of football, sold his vision

and a 5 year plan for PL and European football to a Swiss billionaire and our present potless Chinese chairman.

Under Cortese Ralph would have been sacked at half-time last night and a new manager would be in already.

We have to be honest and say Ralph didn't come in at the beginning of something he came in at the end of it.

The best is over.

The best season of recent years was 2 years after the Italian banker left! ;)

The best season of recent years was 2 years after the Italian banker left! ;)

True, but we wouldn't have had "The best season of recent years" without his vision that he sold to Markus.;)

My point is, like him or loath him and despite the circumstances of his departure, if Kat had kept faith with Cortese we wouldn't find ourselves in a position as bad as we are now.

There's absolutely no point in sacking him. Who in their right mind would come to Southampton? Saints are clearly a club that have all sorts of problems behind the scenes. Ralph's looked unhappy for weeks. I think he'll walk before he's sacked.

Are you serious? We were in a worse position when Ralph joined last year we would be an attractive offer for any one wanting a crack at the premiership championship managers included.. or do you think the likes of Gary Johnson(not saying I want him) would turn his nose up at us as he’s waiting for big six job lol ?

Are you serious? We were in a worse position when Ralph joined last year we would be an attractive offer for any one wanting a crack at the premiership championship managers included.. or do you think the likes of Gary Johnson(not saying I want him) would turn his nose up at us as he’s waiting for big six job lol ?

Ralph is nowhere near to bringing his preferred high press game to SFC with the mish mash of players previous managers have gathered.

If you want a coach to get the best out of the players we have now then we need proven PL manager.

I would go for Chris Hughton and Sammy Lee.

There's absolutely no point in sacking him. Who in their right mind would come to Southampton? Saints are clearly a club that have all sorts of problems behind the scenes. Ralph's looked unhappy for weeks. I think he'll walk before he's sacked.

As bad as our players are, it's the managers job to get the very best out of them and at the very least, give a 100%.

For whatever reason, this is NOT happening this season.

I can't see how he can survive after last nights humiliation. I wanted to see a reaction at 3-0, 4-0, halftime. But if anything we got worse in the second half. And that is down to Ralph.

I'm sorry, but he has to go.

Sacking the manager won't make us a better team. We won't go from poor to amazing even with Pep in charge.

But I don't understand some of the thinking going on here. Most of the players are internationals. Some have won trophies elsewhere. Ralph himself has got far better results with basically the same team.

If the players are the main problem then its the managers job to drop those who are not performing. You say those players above wouldn't make us better but in truth they wouldn't make us worse neither.

As they pointed out on tv when 10 play 11 most of the time it becomes harder for the 11. Because they give up on attacking and simply defend.

Brighton vs Bompey ended 2-1 with an early red.

Burnley vs Everton was 1-0 with a 50th min red.

Us vs Spurs was 2-1 with a 30 mins red.

Watford vs Arsenal was 0-1 with a 10th min red

And in some cases teams with 10 men can still win

Burnley Leicester was 1-2 after a 4th min red

Point being even with 11 men we looked like we would get mauled.

Sacking Ralph won't cure our problems. But it could cure some of them. Playing players out of position, ultra negative tactics, constantly picking players who are out of form and not giving anyone else a chance.

Tactics wise we set up to try and keep the teams out. But how many goals are scored quite early?

Yesterday 12th min

Chelsea 17th min

Bompey 10th min

Spurs 20th min

Utd 10th min

In the Spurs game he waited until the 80th minute to make any changes. 50 mins after they were playing with 10 men. Then eventually brought on Long in the 89th min.

So when we set up as we do and that early goal goes in as it does in almost every game our whole defensive set up makes it near impossible to get back into the game.

I don't blame Ralph for everything but every manager in this league would love a perfect squad with every player they want. That is pure fantasy and a **** excuse. Before the start of the season would you say Sheff Utd, Villa, Brighton etc had better squads than us?

Sheff Utd and Burnley imo are a fine example of good managers getting the best out of average players. The same could be said of Howe and various others.

Ralph isn't getting any of the players playing above themselves, has strange tactics, even stranger delayed reactions to in match events. Crazy late subs and starting line-ups which quite frankly are pathetic and ooze capitulation before a ball has even been kicked. There is no positivity there at all. He himself said he authorised the signings of the players this summer. How many started recent games? As Ings was here last year you can't really count him. So the answer is zero.

If he get's sacked it won't be because we lost 0-9, it will be because he has a 13% win ratio over the past 15 pl games.

Good post mate

Never rated Ralph and predictably got abused on here for it. Now that you see I was unfortunately correct it leaves us in an awkward position.

New players that suit Ralph's system I think won't solve our problems.

Ralph isn't even trying for a high press any more. Our existing players don't seem to have any game plan at all. Our players can be coached into a game plan that suits what we have available. That's what skilled coaches achieve. Ralph isn't capable of this.

He has to go.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Never rated Ralph and predictably got abused on here for it. Now that you see I was unfortunately correct it leaves us in an awkward position.

New players that suit Ralph's system I think won't solve our problems.

Ralph isn't even trying for a high press any more. Our existing players don't seem to have any game plan at all. Our players can be coached into a game plan that suits what we have available. That's what skilled coaches achieve. Ralph isn't capable of this.

He has to go.

You weren't and aren't correct. The infantile approach of 'let's sack the manager' doesn't add a single player of better quality to the squad. It's the standard Blame Game so beloved of the more intellectually challenged followers of the game and of Sun readers. Anyone whose memory stretches back beyond the last match will know that all through the close season there was a clamour from supporters for the club to deal with weaknesses in defence. It didn't happen, with the need to sell players first, being stated as the obstacle. If that obstacle arises from FFP, that's one thing, but if it's finding the money, financial common sense says it's better to borrow if necessary, rather than sink into the Championship or below.

One thing that certainly can be surmised from the current situation, of expensive players on the books who aren't considered to be good enough for the squad, is that the departure of Ross Wilson now looks like a positive event.

You weren't and aren't correct. The infantile approach of 'let's sack the manager' doesn't add a single player of better quality to the squad. It's the standard Blame Game so beloved of the more intellectually challenged followers of the game and of Sun readers. Anyone whose memory stretches back beyond the last match will know that all through the close season there was a clamour from supporters for the club to deal with weaknesses in defence. It didn't happen, with the need to sell players first, being stated as the obstacle. If that obstacle arises from FFP, that's one thing, but if it's finding the money, financial common sense says it's better to borrow if necessary, rather than sink into the Championship or below.

One thing that certainly can be surmised from the current situation, of expensive players on the books who aren't considered to be good enough for the squad, is that the departure of Ross Wilson now looks like a positive event.

Should we have kept Hughes then?

You honestly look at each player in our squad and think they can't be improved by decent coaching, playing them in their best positions and playing a system that suits them? Like Koeman did and Poch also.

Calling an opinion infantile because it is different to your own is in itself infantile. Your opinion may be different but it is valid. Our players have regressed massively due to poor coaching and tactics. Not even you can argue against that.

They won't sack Ralph.

THIS is what will happen.

We will go down this season. Ralph will stay with a pay cut because of his pride.

The dead wood will go. We will sign hardworking players in the same ilk as Villa next season. They will love playing for Ralph.

We'll go up after storming the Championship.

We'll then become a force in the Premier League like Leicester.

Fact.

They won't sack Ralph.

We will go down this season. Ralph will stay with a pay cut because of his pride.

The dead wood will go. We will sign hardworking players in the same ilk as Villa next season. They will love playing for Ralph.

Fact.

We may well go down but it is the last thing we should wish for. There is no basis at all for rebuilding a new squad, the present U23's are absolute dross and getting tanked every week and look likely candidates to be relegated as well and all the local lads out on loan have been proved wanting at this level and not many have made an impact in the Championship. In short we are in a bugger's muddle and having no money at all to spend on players exacerbated by taking the drop will just compound the issue. Go down now and we might be looking at a ten or more year gap before we could ever hope to get back again.

Professors lecture other people of course as you seem to like to do but usually they stimulate and encourage debate rather than deride it as "infantile". Maybe it's time you changed you moniker?

It's the players and the crap going on behind the scenes, completely rudderless in the board room and player scouting department. None of which is Ralf's fault and you can clearly see that he is frustrated with the players not doing their jobs.

He took responsibility for Friday, but the manager can only do so much and it was a completely gutless performance from professional players who just capitulated.

He's a good manager, he has a proven record of making clubs over perform but those clubs bought into his philosophies, clearly we haven't, he needs help, he needs time to get the players he wants in and who work hard, but 3 years of inept signings has hamstrung that side of it and we have an owner who doesn't want to invest to help sort it out.

We need like 3-4 transfer windows to sort this mess out, we need some more leadership at the football level behind the scenes, we need a complete overhaul of the backroom staff who have pretty much consistently failed for the last 2-3 years.

Honestly I think Ralph is probably our best asset right now, changing the manager has done nothing, we need to build around him and overhaul the players/support staff IMO.

Come on, Ralph has shown no skill or initiative in coaching these players. Time and again the common thread on here is that players have actually regressed since Ralph has lost Rohl.

We are plainly getting worse and worse, if there was sign of improvement then fine, however there isn’t.

Yes there are huge problems with ambition, losing mentality, recruitment etc but undeniably Ralph is bringing nothing to these players and the team. Even his team selection is completely weird, for example what exactly does McCarthy have to do to be picked with Gunn being abysmal for weeks.

Sorry to say for many reasons that Ralph just isn’t at the races and clearly he has lost the dressing room too.

One thing he is certainly not is the Austrian Klopp ....

Come on, Ralph has shown no skill or initiative in coaching these players. Time and again the common thread on here is that players have actually regressed since Ralph has lost Rohl.

We are plainly getting worse and worse, if there was sign of improvement then fine, however there isn’t.

Yes there are huge problems with ambition, losing mentality, recruitment etc but undeniably Ralph is bringing nothing to these players and the team. Even his team selection is completely weird, for example what exactly does McCarthy have to do to be picked with Gunn being abysmal for weeks.

Sorry to say for many reasons that Ralph just isn’t at the races and clearly he has lost the dressing room too.

Lol

The players haven't regressed under Ralph the majority where ****e before he arrived and... shock gasp horror they are still ****e.

They've improved slightly when we brought in Hughes and then again when Ralph arrived but quickly reverted to type, after a few games, once the new manager bounce tailed off.

What's going on now isn't just down to Ralph but the inevitable culmination of several years of decline in player quaility in our squad.

It's the players, not the manager. We've signed **** players, who don't follow Ralph's instructions, because they're stupid and not good enough. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel for Ralph? No. We need better quality players but we are skint. So basically all Ralph is doing is trying to hammer the same info into the players during training... For it to fall of deaf ears. The same **** players then begin to poison the dressing room. Sacking Ralph isn't the answer. It's banning the ring leaders from the dressing room.

Which players?

It's the players, not the manager. We've signed **** players, who don't follow Ralph's instructions, because they're stupid and not good enough. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel for Ralph? No. We need better quality players but we are skint. So basically all Ralph is doing is trying to hammer the same info into the players during training... For it to fall of deaf ears. The same **** players then begin to poison the dressing room. Sacking Ralph isn't the answer. It's banning the ring leaders from the dressing room.

Go on then, name the players

They won't sack Ralph.

Fact.

While you're taking the mick and while I'm not RH's biggest fan, I could actually see this happening and would thus keep him. He is a bit one-dimensional; I've said it before when I compared him to BFS, but he will work hard, adapt as best as he can and get things going in the right way again. Nice to hear the club want to keep him. And it's good he has pride in his work and himself; that's why we should keep him: he'll want to get it right.

Ralph had a fantastic track record before arriving and I don't believe he's become a bad manager overnight. He inherited a club that was almost down and somehow performed a minor miracle keeping us up. However even he's struggling to get performances from players that aren't up to it.

I'm glad the club are backing him in words but they have to match this in funds for transfers. He has a style and he need the right players for it.

If we replace him we'll spiral down pretty quickly, we need to stick with him.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Ralph Hasenhuttl