Summer 2020 transfer business

Batman

1 hour ago, sadoldgit said:

My money is on Sessengnon. He would provide cover at full back too and seems quite versatile. I seem to remember us sniffing around him when he was at Fulham too.

Really weak defender. I mean, that's where he'll end up if he's to have any kind of career - he doesn't have the skills to be a top class winger. But as things stand, he's in limbo: not good enough to get a game as an attacker or a defender.

Poch thought he could "Danny Rose" him and turn a mediocre winger into an attacking full back, but Mourinho seems unconvinced that's even possible. Sessegnon's got to fancy the physical challenge of defending first of all, which he absolutely doesn't. He plays like he doesn't believe he belongs there.

I don't see what he'd bring to us. He wouldn't make the first XI. He wouldn't be first reserve for any of the wing positions. And he's nowhere near being a PL quality left back. So what's the point?

13 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Is there any discretionary element involved or an appeals process? 

A possibility I guess. 

Also, it looks like we're going to be paying more than £10m for Diallo, who seemingly is our back up option to Sangare. Which makes Ralph's comment about not being in a position to pay over £10m for Sangare a tad puzzling, given that's exactly what we're doing for Diallo. Either Sangare was our first choice (over Diallo) or he wasn't...?

Or maybe we were looking to buy both....?

Edited by trousers

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

A possibility I guess. 

Also, it looks like we're going to be paying more than £10m for Diallo, who seemingly is our back up option to Sangare. Which makes Ralph's comment about not being in a position to pay over £10m for Sangare a tad puzzling, given that's exactly what we're doing for Diallo. Either Sangare was our first choice (over Diallo) or he wasn't...?

Or maybe they agreed to sell him to us cheaper and we didn't want to pay a ton more just for the work permit? 

23 minutes ago, trousers said:

A possibility I guess. 

Or it’s part of a negotiation tactic to make other targets think we’re tight for cash (which isn’t exactly stretching the truth right now). I bet if we made a West Ham style statement of backing our manager with big signings, teams would be asking for £20m for the same players.

21 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Or maybe they agreed to sell him to us cheaper and we didn't want to pay a ton more just for the work permit? 

But, IF we thought Sangare was better than Diallo (given he was seemingly our preferred first choice out of the two) then surely we wouldn't begrudge paying for Sangare what we're reportedly paying for Diallo (i.e. over £10m)...?

Or.... as Lighthouse alludes to, maybe we preferred Diallo over Sangare all along and have used the work permit issue as a smokescreen to keep Diallo's fee as low as possible...

Or... I'm over-thinking things just for a change... ;)

Edited by trousers

Just now, trousers said:

But, IF we thought Sangare was better than Diallo then surely we wouldn't begrudge paying for Sangare what we've paid for Diallo (i.e. over £10m)

Or.... as Lighthouse alludes to, maybe we preferred Diallo over Sangare all along and have used the work permit issue as a smokescreen to keep Diallo's fee as low as possible...

Or... I'm over-thinking things just for a change... ;)

Maybe we agreed the fee before we hit a snag with the work permit and weren't prepared to pay a significant extra amount? I don't know. 

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Maybe we agreed the fee before we hit a snag with the work permit and weren't prepared to pay a significant extra amount? 

Maybe, but that would only highlight how seemingly naive we were in not being wise to the work permit threshold in the first place...?

5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Ralph said in the presser that Sangare didnt get a WP because he wasn't expensive enough.

Did say we have liked players who have ended up elsewhere and that its hard to improve our team on our budget. Eventually it will cause him to leave I reckon.

He did refer to us needing players, plaural though, so maybe one more could happen but I doubt Ntcham. Think more likely a Boufal replacement.

Yep, he will get fed up eventually. How frustrating to not be able to secure the players you want - we're not talking obscene amounts of money here, either, in current terms.

Just now, trousers said:

Maybe, but that would only highlight how seemingly naive we were in not being wise to the work permit threshold in the first place...?

It could have been a grey area and we thought it was worth a punt for the player we would have been getting. I seem to remember Pahars had two applications rejected before his WP was issued, then there we’re all sort of shenanigans with that Ukrainian kid in the academy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Yep, he will get fed up eventually. How frustrating to not be able to secure the players you want - we're not talking obscene amounts of money here, either, in current terms.

Considering he signed a new contract recently and we’re on the verge of bringing in our third, hopefully decent, new player I can’t see him wanting out any time soon. Carrillo and Boufal will be gone by next summer at the very latest and the end will be in sight for Fraser and Hoedt. That’s some serious meat off the wage bill.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dusic said:

Ralph said in the presser that Sangare didnt get a WP because he wasn't expensive enough.

Did say we have liked players who have ended up elsewhere and that its hard to improve our team on our budget. Eventually it will cause him to leave I reckon.

He did refer to us needing players, plaural though, so maybe one more could happen but I doubt Ntcham. Think more likely a Boufal replacement.

He didn't seem very happy today did he, a bit edgy and disengaged. Certainly not his usual confident, bouncy self. Maybe suggests things are not going to plan.

Edited by Charlie Wayman

51 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

It could have been a grey area and we thought it was worth a punt for the player we would have been getting. I seem to remember Pahars had two applications rejected before his WP was issued, then there we’re all sort of shenanigans with that Ukrainian kid in the academy.

I’m going with this mainly due to the fact that we wanted to test the process as no one else seems to have.

1 hour ago, trousers said:

A possibility I guess. 

could be that we can afford the more expensive Diallo because it's less front loaded than than the Sangare deal?

20 minutes ago, Chez said:

could be that we can afford the more expensive Diallo because it's less front loaded than than the Sangare deal?

Perhaps Diallo's wages are lower. Making him cheaper over the length of the contract.

Plus how many years were left on each of their contracts as that has an effect on their current values.

"I think the most important thing is that you sign new players and win immediately, but I think they understand the situation we are in and they know that it is difficult for us.

"The fans know that our club is not a club with the biggest money and finally they are happy when we get players in and we do everything we can to get players in."

A crap situation. Rhian Brewster is a good signing for Sheffield United, they have £20m+ lying around without selling anyone noticeable and signing Ramsdale for £20m prior.

10 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Diallo.....with Grujic and Nketiah in on loan would be a good end to the window.

I’m still hoping for Rlc 

think he would come in and be easily second best player at the club after ings.

if boufal is going we could definitely do with something and tbh I think rlc is way better then what we have and walks into this side 

7 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

A crap situation. Rhian Brewster is a good signing for Sheffield United, they have £20m+ lying around without selling anyone noticeable and signing Ramsdale for £20m prior.

The blades came up with a really low wage bill in comparison to the prem average as  banked the seasons tv money without spending much. 2nd season they have the next round of cash and clearly the reason why they can spend money. It’s not really rocket science.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, LeG said:

Not ITK on this but i wouldnt be suprised to see us loan an Arsenal midfielder / winger on deadline day. Will keep you all posted over the next few days. 

Emile Smith Rowe was mentioned in the London press the other day.

3 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

Can always tell when its the weekend with @SuperSAINT :lol:

Screenshot 2020-10-03 at 10.09.24.png

:) 

35 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

With this type of player, i.e one who would be unlikely to start lots of games this season, it only makes sense as a permanent signing or loan with a strong option to buy.

On those terms it would be an interesting signing. Otherwise I don't see the point.

Edited by Dusic

12 minutes ago, saint97 said:

Flight from Liverpool to Southampton just landing - Grujic, Tom Davies or Harry Wilson? Grujic would be a great signing. 

You forgot to add some 'MLG notes' to your post. He'll be all over this like a rash before too long... ;)

1 hour ago, LeG said:

Not ITK on this but i wouldnt be suprised to see us loan an Arsenal midfielder / winger on deadline day. Will keep you all posted over the next few days. 

Have seen Smith Rowe and Reiss Nelson linked. 

Woild be very happy with Nelson. 

21 minutes ago, saint97 said:

Flight from Liverpool to Southampton just landing - Grujic, Tom Davies or Harry Wilson? Grujic would be a great signing. 

Danny Ings coming back to pick up his stuff before his move to Everton? 

4 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I’m still hoping for Rlc 

think he would come in and be easily second best player at the club after ings.

if boufal is going we could definitely do with something and tbh I think rlc is way better then what we have and walks into this side 

Okay....Ive been debating with myself whether or not to put this on here as Ive seen some of the stick some people get. Im no itk whatsoever, however, a few days ago a lifelong friend of mine text me to say great signing. I asked him what he was talking about. My friend is VERY well connected at one of the top 6 clubs. I mean regularly chats with the chairman, manager, players etc. Has all their numbers etc and still in contact with some players that leave. I cant tell you what he does there cos I shouldnt even be telling you this...

So when i said what signing he said RLC. I said I dont think we can afford his wages and he said oh ok. I asked him where he has heard this and he said youll laugh when I tell you. Obvs he told me, it came straight from the managers mouth. 

Thats it, thats all Ive got. Dont know whether it will happen......Waiting for some abuse....

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Hawkswood said:

Okay....Ive been debating with myself whether or not to put this on here as Ive seen some of the stick some people get. Im no itk whatsoever, however, a few days ago a lifelong friend of mine text me to say great signing. I asked him what he was talking about. My friend is VERY well connected at one of the top 6 clubs. I mean regularly chats with the chairman, manager, players etc. Has all their numbers etc and still in contact with some players that leave. I cant tell you what he does there cos I shouldnt even be telling you this...

So when i said what signing he said RLC. I said I dont think we can afford his wages and he said oh ok. I asked him where he has heard this and he said youll laugh when I tell you. Obvs he told me, it came straight from the managers mouth. 

Thats it, thats all Ive got. Dont know whether it will happen......Waiting for some abuse....

Thanks for posting