Mohammed Salisu

Saint Garrett

13 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Nope.

14 minutes ago, DT said:

It mystified it’s not yet announced. Should we be worried?

If he’s been back in Spain this weekend then I imagine we can’t wheel him out for photos etc. Maybe they want to do all those before the announcement.

26 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

We've all been led on a merry dance and no mistake. 

Uh oh. We’ve not even met his release clause yet. Rennes back in. Semmens too busy flouting maxims with Adam Blackmore to get deals done it seems. If you’re not worried you should be.

https://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2020/rennes-dive-back-in-for-mohammed-salisu/

It concerns me Saints new media approach appears to be to link themselves with every player going but particularly with Salisu, as though it’s a done deal. I heard to the contrary. 

I had a worrying message from a friend tonight saying Salisu is in talks with Manchester United. I hope he is trying to wind me up. I was naively optimistic this window but remain hopeful  (despite our track record under Gao). 

I feel we will be better under Semmens and I’m hoping we don’t do the old adage of waiting or quibbling with no proper intention of signing or placing solid, sensible offers. The 400K backup striker signing from Spanish second division & potential of Reed to replace Højbjerg seems more Gao’s style (I would be pleased to have Reed back). 

I really hope Salisu is signed by us and SFC are just waiting for a work permit to delay the announcement. If United hijack Salisu, I may lose confidence in our transfer strategy and the impression we have seen painted across social media. I hope Ralph is allowed to do a Nick Fury & assemble his crack squad. When I say “crack”, I mean it as a metaphor rather than a noun. We don’t want players going all “Clyne”. ;) 

3 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

I had a worrying message from a friend tonight saying Salisu is in talks with Manchester United. I hope he is trying to wind me up. I was naively optimistic this window but remain hopeful  (despite our track record under Gao). 

This isn't the first time the Manchester United connection has been mentioned in this thread.

Salisu probably was a childhood Man U supporter so it makes perfect sense if you think about it.

Edited by CB Fry

4 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

It concerns me Saints new media approach appears to be to link themselves with every player going.

The 400K backup striker signing from Spanish second division seems more Gao’s style

I'm not sure why you think that is the club's ' new media approach'. If a newspaper links Saints to a player, that doesn't make it the 'club's approach'.

The '£400k striker backup striker signing from the Spanish 2nd division' is in reality a 17 year old left back signing for Saints academy and not for the Saints 1st team.

Edited by Matthew Le God

21 minutes ago, DT said:

He’s going to Man U isn’t he? Please just get it done saints

If he wants Man Utd and they want him, then he'll go to Man Utd. This idea that saints can just "get it done" rather misses the point that the player will go where there's the most money. 

If Manchester United want to sign him then they will need to pay us about 30m as that’s how much the value has gone up since we signed him last week.

Why are people panicking as work permits and buying foreign players these days take a little longer to reveal because of COVID-19.

Any other foreign player from the IPL held a shirt up yet that’s been bought from another country?

4 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

If Manchester United want to sign him then they will need to pay us about 30m as that’s how much the value has gone up since we signed him last week.

Why are people panicking as work permits and buying foreign players these days take a little longer to reveal because of COVID-19.

Any other foreign player from the IPL held a shirt up yet that’s been bought from another country?

There's rumours that he's signed, and rumours that he hasn't. If you know better then great, but I'll await confirmation. 

5 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Yeah :) 

22 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Bellingham was signed a week ago and he’s still not met the press.

Brighton signed one yesterday, not met the press either.

So, what you're alluding to there is that there's no reason why Saints couldn't announcing it 'now' (if the paperwork has been completed) and do the glossy photos at some stage in the future? There again, it comes as no surprise that football clubs tend to prioritise media presentation over substance.... I suppose it keeps the sponsors happy (not that our main sponsor is a proper company of course.... ;) )

Edited by trousers

29 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

Bellingham was signed a week ago and he’s still not met the press.

By 'met the press' do you mean a press conference and non club media interview? Because those are rare and most signings never have those.

For Bellingham he has had this...

Edited by Matthew Le God

Well we have apparently wrapped up another signing (Jeremi Rodrigues) and I believe we haven't officially announced JWP's contract extension. Normally we tweet out our contract extensions and no news. Furthermore, last week it was heavily implied that Bertrand and KWP were locked down on permanent contracts. Maybe we are waiting to announce a bunch of things at once. Not sure why though.

14 minutes ago, trousers said:

Link / source?

Ta

Been a few sources, I believe Alan Nixon was the first one who tends to be pretty good for us. Normally don't trust the Sun but Nixon has been on the money for us over past seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pilchards said:

Superb then why the fuck have we not announced ours?

:D

There are always behind the scenes reasons for delays. My 17yo nephew signed a pro contract with Everton recently, and it took them a week to get round to announcing it on their website due to various admin reasons. Granted he's not as high profile as an expensive, foreign-based player joining a PL club's first team, but that brings with it additional paperwork etc... especially when there is a work permit involved.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

3 hours ago, Saint-Reece said:

Do you ever stop worrying about everything? Swear this happens every summer with you 😆

No, I don't. Every day I worry about Saints and hope they improve. And at the moment it's pretty good. But would hate to lose out on this fella because it leaked (or was leaked) too early. But thank you for your concern 👍

The sports director of Real Valladolid  Miguel Ángel Gómez  has been interviewed on Radio MARCA Valladolid  and was asked about the signing of Mohammed Salisu to Southampton: “ Everything points to the fact that the signing of Salisu will become official this week, but we are with the famous nuances and happy lawyers, in this case are the famous lawyers in Madrid, everything points to yes, but they are issues that are being nuanced and it is normal for everything to bear fruit."

https://pucelafichajes.com/2020/07/en-valladolid-se-espera-que-esta-semana-se-cierre-el-traspaso-de-salisu/

6 hours ago, TWar said:

Well we have apparently wrapped up another signing (Jeremi Rodrigues) and I believe we haven't officially announced JWP's contract extension. Normally we tweet out our contract extensions and no news. Furthermore, last week it was heavily implied that Bertrand and KWP were locked down on permanent contracts. Maybe we are waiting to announce a bunch of things at once. Not sure why though.

Our media team like to do things differently. Maybe we'll get 7 days in a row of the Ralph Express video

1 hour ago, The Curse of St Mary's said:

Let's hope it's not '80-90% done, aside from the big bundle of extra $$$ a family member wants from the club'!

Pretty sure we had that once, didn't we?

46 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

Could there be any benefit/reason we might be waiting til Aug to confirm he’s signed rather than July?

Save a months salary. Typical saints, hold off as long as possible to save a few grand and someone nips in and takes him. Alderwereld, buttner, coutinho, Maddison. McGuire, Vardy, Promes, the list goes on, all players we dithered over to save a few quid, Semmens is trying to be Levy but was taught by Les, the ditherers apprentice showing us all now it’s done. Salisu will be in another teams shirt before he can say “I’m relaxed about it”

Edited by Turkish

16 hours ago, CB Fry said:

This isn't the first time the Manchester United connection has been mentioned in this thread.

Salisu probably was a childhood Man U supporter so it makes perfect sense if you think about it.

My friend is a f**cker and I hate him cos he was winding me up. He’s well connected and knows a lot of people in football hence I took him at his word but he totally got me. Glad I added the caveat (it could be a wind up) as it sounded a done deal for SFC and generally clubs and people don’t talk to the press unless it’s absolutely guaranteed, unless they’re idiots but our club does have a track record for idiocy (Carillo, Tommy Forecast, Pekhart).

Having said that, if United did try to hijack the transfer, a club of their stature & paying power would always win.

He got me. Quite funny really if I wasn’t the victim. The f**ker!! 😂😂 

45 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Save a months salary. Typical saints, hold off as long as possible to save a few grand and someone nips in and takes him. Alderwereld, buttner, coutinho, Maddison. McGuire, Vardy, Promes, the list goes on, all players we dithered over to save a few quid, Semmens is trying to be Levy but was taught by Les, the ditherers apprentice showing us all now it’s done. Salisu will be in another teams shirt before he can say “I’m relaxed about it”

:suspicious: so many facts! You must be ITK!

18 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

I'm not sure why you think that is the club's ' new media approach'. If a newspaper links Saints to a player, that doesn't make it the 'club's approach'.

The '£400k striker backup striker signing from the Spanish 2nd division' is in reality a 17 year old left back signing for Saints academy and not for the Saints 1st team.

The club previously remained very tightlipped about transfers until the business is done. Hence all the hot air & false platitudes in recent windows & little action.

It is unusual for the press or media sources to announce a transfer like Salisu is already done before the club announce it. It is everywhere.  Does strike me as strange.

Could it be we have new owners and they want to announce themselves first and then follow it up with player announcements, Salisu, KWP, McKennie signings, JWP and Betrand extensions??? Would certainly have a massive impact!! Reality or hope....😁

31 minutes ago, MarkSFC said:

Could it be we have new owners and they want to announce themselves first and then follow it up with player announcements, Salisu, KWP, McKennie signings, JWP and Betrand extensions??? Would certainly have a massive impact!! Reality or hope....😁

Could maybe see a mass announcement of KWP and/or Salisu plus some contract extensions but I think if we had new owners or McKennie there would definitely have been more press surrounding it. Those are probably too big a thing to happen to just drop out of thin air.