• Oriol Romeu
    • James Ward-Prowse
    • Stuart Armstrong
    • Nathan Redmond
    • Danny Ings
    • Che Adams
    • Will Smallbone
    • Shane Long

A great way to cap off a fine second half to the season :) since the Arsenal away game back in November we have got top 6 form. What a job Ralph has done! Credit to him, his staff and ofcourse the players :) So pleased for Che for his brace and ofcourse Ings for 25 goals this season - that's a truly remarkable tally and thoroughly deserved. Cant wait for next season, hopefully we can get our transfer business done early and get set. COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14

24 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

A great way to cap off a fine second half to the season :) since the Arsenal away game back in November we have got top 6 form. What a job Ralph has done! Credit to him, his staff and ofcourse the players :) So pleased for Che for his brace and ofcourse Ings for 25 goals this season - that's a truly remarkable tally and thoroughly deserved. Cant wait for next season, hopefully we can get our transfer business done early and get set. COYR :)

We'd be third if it was only this part of the season. That's an incredible turnaround.

4 hours ago, Secret Site Agent said:

Well, a good win to end a good restart.  Looking forward to next season now and what we might achieve with a few good buys, (starting with KWP)

Che is starting to show what he can do, and I just had a feeling it was just a confidence thing and once he scored his first he would start to knock them in.

Danny Ings, wow.  great if he can keep that up next season.

Adn Ralph, thanks for this, please stay and put together a winning squad made of a few old heads, youth and weird luck.

Just want to say that after the way Bournemouth behaved against us after the 3-1 win, I wanted them to go down today, and they did.  But its easy to forget this will lead to people losing their jobs ans some financial hardship, so I hope they can steady the blow.

Well done though, Saints.  The future IS bright. The future IS Red and White :)

And, oh. Apparently we lost 9-0 at some stage.  When did this happen? And why did no body tell us? And surely someone could have mentioned it? But no, not a peep from the press, nothing from the pundits and not even mentioned by any commentator at all.  How bizzare.

Despite some of the Bournemouth fans desperately wanting a rivalry I still don't dislike them. They were just another Premier League team to me. Obviously that 3-1 result against us back in September meant a lot to them. It is funny how things have worked out since that night. We looked doomed and they looked ok.

But it is Bournemouth that end up going down on the last game of the season despite ending the season with another 3-1 away win. They were essentially condemned to relegation because they lost to us last week, instead of getting that last minute point.

We finish 11th thanks to Bournemouth beating Everton allowing us to finish above the Toffees, gaining more Premier League prize money for a higher place finish. We also finish with a -9 goal difference, the exact same amount of goals as that result we all wish never happen but probably forced the changes that needed to happen which ended up making our season.

Its a funny old game 😊

6 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

Who do you consider MOM?  Romeo for me

BBC gave Che the MOM, but like you I thought Romeu was outstanding throughout; rock solid but also with an eye to linking attacks.     Redmond very good and bright performances form Stephens, Ward-Prowse and KWP.     Great credit to Ralph and the players - it's been a second half of the season right up there with the best of Pochettino and Koeman days.

A great and almost perfect end to a fantastic season. I got my second wish come true (going above Everton up to 11th) but perfection would have been Danny’s earlier shot in the back of the net and a golden boot winning hatrick but you can’t have it all. 

Mc Carthy kept us in it first half & was solid throughout and Redmond was superb. Really made the difference and when he’s on form, he really links up the attacks. So pleased for Che Adams. Seems the diagonal stripes favour him. Always chuffed for Ingsy but so wished he got one more goal. Just one more. We’ve not had a golden boot since Keegan. 

Well done Ralph and & the coaching staff all those concerned. A real change in fortunes down to training and coaching hard and a strong sense of determination and grit mixed with excellent levels of fitness. 

I can’t wait until next season. A couple of wise defensive additions and Reed back & we could have quite the campaign. Brilliant form since lockdown. Outstanding. Suddenly, we play with belief and determination again. 

Good win, was a bit miffed at halftime with another average performance. Their goal easily preventable - JV should have cleared and RB switched off at the far post.

Much better 2nd half, pleased with Che starting to find his groove...shame the season now finished!! Ings will be pissed about that penalty last week but an amazing season by him.

Feeling optimistic for next year with a couple of good additions to the squad, we don't need a massive overhaul as the from since the restart has shown.

This season Sheff United have only conceeeded 3 goals as the most they have conceeeded in a game that was twice against Man United, once against Newcastle and us yesterday. Bizarrely they got beat twice against Newcastle, then 3 of the top 5 of Leicester, Liverpool and Man City and finally the other team was us. So against a good defensive team defended well especially Mcarthy's saves against Sharp and Lundstram (after the 1st goal) but to score 3 is an incredible achievement too. Che looks like he has confidence and given a short break before preseason starts he hopefully can continue the run again. 

Edited by Stu_Saint

Well done to Ralph and the boys. Che looked so strong and they could not cope with Nathan's skills.SU looked wacked out in the second half although they missed some good chances. Super end to the season.

7 minutes ago, alpine_saint said:

Did we give Billy a warm welcome ? Hope so...

We owe him quie a lot. And we didnt rate him as EPL material, but hes been holding his place in a team higher up than us.

Sadly, no, no-one in the crowd was clapping him.

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, alpine_saint said:

Did we give Billy a warm welcome ? Hope so...

We owe him quie a lot. And we didnt rate him as EPL material, but hes been holding his place in a team higher up than us.

Both the club and a fair few fans it would seem... 

7 hours ago, Gordon Mockles said:

Mc Carthy kept us in it first half & was solid througout... 

He wasn't. Nearly cost us the 2nd with his terrible pass, Billy Sharp (?) should have buried that. Also was lucky with his handling on the edge of the area, wasn't given as handball so can't be counted as an error but it was certainly dodgy. Maybe could have done better with their goal after Vestegaard's calamity but maybe that's being harsh, also got away with mistake when Romeu cleared from near the line. Still he did make a top drawer save. But he certainly wasn't solid throughput by any stretch of the imagination. 

Don't think we were that good throughout as a team yesterday. Very good second half performance papered over a very poor first half where we should have been 2 or 3 down. Still, a 3-1 win is a 3-1 win. Thought Adams goals were both very well taken, great footwork, don't think he got the credit deserved for those goals (indeed not sure the Sky tater even realised he had scored the first). 

15 hours ago, stknowle said:

I'd give him MOPR (man of project restart). Been excellent.

Well said - MOM should be for how a player has performed for the whole match. Good as Adam's goals were, and goals win matches It hink voters do not always see the whole picture

I'm excited to see what happens this summer and next season. The performance yesterday wasn't our very best defensively (see below...) but in terms of our attacking play we had a great game - good use of the ball to work it forward with good movement and penetrating passes. Redmond is so important to us offensively and defensively. I'm amazed at the negativity I see towards him on here. He should score more than he does, but he contributes so much in other ways.

After a whole full season I feel confident that Ralph will be clear about who he wants to move on and what sort of player he wants to bring in. With Djenepo (and Reed?) back and a few fresh faces in we could have an exciting season to look forward to.

Defensively yesterday there were some significant lapses. Danny was (clearly...) fouled on the edge of the area and we switched off. They had the time and space to play a long ball down the wing which JV didn't cut out. He then didn't hack down Sharp (should have taken the yellow...) and his lack of pace was then exposed. It was a good save by Alex, but Sharp should have scored...

Their goal came from a cross from their left wing. Armstrong was (I think?) by then carrying his injury. He attempted to close down the cross but had to check his run to avoid colliding with another one of the SU players and so he failed to get close enough to stop the cross. JV then failed to read the flight of the ball and failed to clear it. I don't think RB was at fault - the ball just broke kindly for Sheffield United. Hopefully JV gets sold in the summer. The way we play (with a very high defensive line when we have the ball) leaves us badly exposed to counter-attacks if the opposition beats our initial press. He tends to dive in and miss the ball, or just gets taken out of the game completely with a single pass, like yesterday... He's also surprising bad dealing with crosses into the box, despite his strength and height. His main strength is heading away direct balls hoofed towards our penalty area from deep. He'd do better in a defence that sits deeper I think...

13 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

I'm excited to see what happens this summer and next season. The performance yesterday wasn't our very best defensively (see below...) but in terms of our attacking play we had a great game - good use of the ball to work it forward with good movement and penetrating passes. Redmond is so important to us offensively and defensively. I'm amazed at the negativity I see towards him on here. He should score more than he does, but he contributes so much in other ways.

After a whole full season I feel confident that Ralph will be clear about who he wants to move on and what sort of player he wants to bring in. With Djenepo (and Reed?) back and a few fresh faces in we could have an exciting season to look forward to.

Defensively yesterday there were some significant lapses. Danny was (clearly...) fouled on the edge of the area and we switched off. They had the time and space to play a long ball down the wing which JV didn't cut out. He then didn't hack down Sharp (should have taken the yellow...) and his lack of pace was then exposed. It was a good save by Alex, but Sharp should have scored...

Their goal came from a cross from their left wing. Armstrong was (I think?) by then carrying his injury. He attempted to close down the cross but had to check his run to avoid colliding with another one of the SU players and so he failed to get close enough to stop the cross. JV then failed to read the flight of the ball and failed to clear it. I don't think RB was at fault - the ball just broke kindly for Sheffield United. Hopefully JV gets sold in the summer. The way we play (with a very high defensive line when we have the ball) leaves us badly exposed to counter-attacks if the opposition beats our initial press. He tends to dive in and miss the ball, or just gets taken out of the game completely with a single pass, like yesterday... He's also surprising bad dealing with crosses into the box, despite his strength and height. His main strength is heading away direct balls hoofed towards our penalty area from deep. He'd do better in a defence that sits deeper I think...

Good summary. JV is clearly our weakest defender and cost far too much to warrant being 4th choice. We need to do everything we can to move him on and bring in a cheaper alternative, which thankfully looks like it's going to happen. 

43 minutes ago, mcbendy said:

I think the stick he gets is largely due to his monumental inconsistency. Yes, he's capable of being excellent, but there are too many other days when he runs up his own arse, ignores better placed team mates, makes bad decisions and slows play down when in good attacking opportunities allowing the opposition defence to regroup. He also seems reluctant to pull the trigger when in shooting positions, which is perhaps a confidence issue. That said, if he were more consistent, he probably wouldn't be with us. Have been hugely impressed with his backtracking and defensive workrate since lockdown, and hope he continues with his current vein of form in to next season.

19 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

I think the stick he gets is largely due to his monumental inconsistency. Yes, he's capable of being excellent, but there are too many other days when he runs up his own arse, ignores better placed team mates, makes bad decisions and slows play down when in good attacking opportunities allowing the opposition defence to regroup. He also seems reluctant to pull the trigger when in shooting positions, which is perhaps a confidence issue. That said, if he were more consistent, he probably wouldn't be with us. Have been hugely impressed with his backtracking and defensive workrate since lockdown, and hope he continues with his current vein of form in to next season.

I doubt his knockers would notice how he chased back and defended the break form our corner. He is one of our most important players, and our form without him proved it

• Like 2

What a farce that Che Adams' goal against Man City didn't make it to goal of the season. It was certainly better than most of MOTD's candidates. Oh well, the reason is simple; we are not a glory club and he is not a high profile player - yet.

16 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

What a farce that Che Adams' goal against Man City didn't make it to goal of the season. It was certainly better than most of MOTD's candidates. Oh well, the reason is simple; we are not a glory club and he is not a high profile player - yet.

To be fair, you only need to watch some of the closing montages on Sky and BBC to realise we are a non-club to these broadcasters. Didn't see any highlights or clips of us at all, apart from the (0-9 scoreboard).

28 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

Don't think its even the best goal we scored this season tbh.

1 hour ago, skintsaint said:

Don't think its even the best goal we scored this season tbh.

I thought it was pretty spectacular and out of nowhere. If you think that there were better goals we scored this season, then the question begs to be asked, how come none of them made the vote. Naturally, had Rashford, Martial, Kane, Mane, Salah scored that goal, of course it would have featured.

Just now, Wes Tender said:

I thought it was pretty spectacular and out of nowhere. If you think that there were better goals we scored this season, then the question begs to be asked, how come none of them made the vote. Naturally, had Rashford, Martial, Kane, Mane, Salah scored that goal, of course it would have featured.

Pretty sure they just used the goal of each month to make the list, so Adams' was beaten by KDB's today against Norwich.

Still a better goal than KDB's though.

6 minutes ago, Wes Tender said:

MOTD goal of the season is a straight choice from the winners of their goal of the month.

1 hour ago, saintquin said:

Since that game I think we got more points than Leicester!

Yep 44 to 42.

Too bad we threw the towel in though, Vardy got 2 goals relatively late on in the 9-0 and those 2 were enough to win him the golden boot ahead of Ings.

Please don’t MLG me!

Edited by OttawaSaint

9 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

He's always been good at that, not just post lockdown.