Saints 'B' Team

SuperSAINT

That team tonight is very young, and clearly some decent players in the U18s like Doyle who will take him to have an impact at U23 level.

However when you think of our recent U23s who have been amongst the better prospects at one stage is it quite enlightening how many have utterly bombed in pro football.

Off the top of my head:

Will Ferry - L2, plays but in a dire team

Jake Vokins - L1/SPL, not yet made any pro impact

Jake Hesketh - National League

Josh Sims - unattached

Callum Slattery - SPL

Tyreke Johnson - National League

Marcus Barnes - Unattached

Ryan Seager - Non league

Alfie Jones - L1/Championship, probably the best of these

Tom O'Connor - L1

Harry Lewis - hasn't played a proper mens match for about 4 years

Probably 300 U23 apps between these lads and most either played for the first team or were hyped to.

Edited by Dusic

Apparently the B Team were "down to the bare bones" before last night's game in the Checkatrade Trophy according to Tom Leach (I thought it was the Papa John's Trophy these days). Oludare Olufunwa, Caleb Watts, Will Tizzard and Ryan Finnigan all missing (is that down to the bare bones?). He did mention that Watts might be fit to play (and did). Also noted separately that Thierry Small is coming back from injury (didn't know he was injured).

Edited by VectisSaint

Went to the game last night. Both sides were pretty poor, saints looked better on the ball but didn't create anything. 

Simeu, stood out defensively. Bullied their forwards. Lots of long balls from Simeu and Bycroft which didn't work though. 

Chauke and Mitchell looked decent. Kamari Doyle played CM, only 15 👀

Lancashire gave it away twice in really good positions for Orient, poor. Watts was poor too last night, not fully fit I guess. 

1 hour ago, Ldnsaint said:

Went to the game last night. Both sides were pretty poor, saints looked better on the ball but didn't create anything. 

Simeu, stood out defensively. Bullied their forwards. Lots of long balls from Simeu and Bycroft which didn't work though. 

Chauke and Mitchell looked decent. Kamari Doyle played CM, only 15 👀

Lancashire gave it away twice in really good positions for Orient, poor. Watts was poor too last night, not fully fit I guess. 

Orient made quite a few changes as well so it was a weakened league two side. 

On 14/09/2021 at 13:25, Dusic said:

That team tonight is very young, and clearly some decent players in the U18s like Doyle who will take him to have an impact at U23 level.

However when you think of our recent U23s who have been amongst the better prospects at one stage is it quite enlightening how many have utterly bombed in pro football.

Off the top of my head:

Will Ferry - L2, plays but in a dire team

Jake Vokins - L1/SPL, not yet made any pro impact

Jake Hesketh - National League

Josh Sims - unattached

Callum Slattery - SPL

Tyreke Johnson - National League

Marcus Barnes - Unattached

Ryan Seager - Non league

Alfie Jones - L1/Championship, probably the best of these

Tom O'Connor - L1

Harry Lewis - hasn't played a proper mens match for about 4 years

Probably 300 U23 apps between these lads and most either played for the first team or were hyped to.

Thought when Koeman ran the rule over them and said they were not good enough for the PL he was overly harsh, maybe in hind sight he was a pretty good judge?

On 16/09/2021 at 18:59, VectisSaint said:

Except there is no relegation. 

There might have to be if we finish bottom again.

Hope we win, I don’t want another loss  & hear about “learning a lot from the game” & “we have to go have better game management”.

We need somebody to step up and take some chances today.

I've said it before but what is the point in Harry Lewis?

Nowhere near good enough to have the slightest chance of playing at PL level and should have left the club a couple of years ago.

When he does leave he will play L2 at the very best but most likely non league.

17 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Nowhere near good enough to have the slightest chance of playing at PL level and should have left the club a couple of years ago.

Surely he just blocks the pathway for Bycroft.

We lost the battle of the bottom 2.

3 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

There might have to be if we finish bottom again.

Just to be clear we did not finish bottom of PL2 last season, we were bottom of PL2 Division 1. This year we are bottom of PL2 Division 2, it would be harsh to throw us out of PL2 for being the worst team for the first time, notwithstanding that we are in PL2 because of our Academy Status, not because of any playing ability or performances. I would hazard a guess that Horseman's tenure may be nearing its end. 

It could cause issues attracting players such as Simeu and Small in the future. Pros being that there’s pathway for you to get into the first team, if you’re good enough. Cons being that when you’re not in the first team, you’re developing in an ever-losing B team side.

34 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Just to be clear we did not finish bottom of PL2 last season, we were bottom of PL2 Division 1. This year we are bottom of PL2 Division 2, it would be harsh to throw us out of PL2 for being the worst team for the first time, notwithstanding that we are in PL2 because of our Academy Status, not because of any playing ability or performances. I would hazard a guess that Horseman's tenure may be nearing its end. 

Crikey! MLG level stuff!

I’m aware of what divisions we are in.I simply meant if we finish bottom again (of Div 2 AFTER Div 1) it’s pretty damning no matter how you slice it.

• Like 1

Should either let these nippers join the tyro league to allow them to stand a chance, or start letting some of the older players not getting regular first games feature to get some minutes and add some competition. 

22 hours ago, Dusic said:

I assumed he was just being retained as the warm up keeper (like when we had Stuart Taylor)

37 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Should we be worried how bad saints b team is? 

Not necessarily.  There are some good players in there.  Lewis getting sent off gave another reminder of how promising Ollie Wright is, and two of our most recent signings were getting game time.  Persistent losing is more likely to be a coaching issue (including team selection) rather than one of a 'bad' team.

10 minutes ago, Verbal said:

Not necessarily.  There are some good players in there.  Lewis getting sent off gave another reminder of how promising Ollie Wright is, and two of our most recent signings were getting game time.  Persistent losing is more likely to be a coaching issue (including team selection) rather than one of a 'bad' team.

I’m surprised that Horseman is still in the role. Results have been horrendous, even when we’ve had most of the best players playing

Is Horseman, like Martin Hunter before him the right person for this job? I’ve said it before but surely someone who is working around these players at this stage needs to also be a mentor and therefore experienced at playing at the highest level or this football club? Radhi should have at least been in with a shout but his face obviously didn’t fit and he was booted out in favour of (most likely) a mate of Matt Hale’s. 

Surely Horseman's job is now untenable, when did he come in? Does Ralph's playbook not work at development level football?

I'd have liked to think we were looking to go straight up again, to be finish bottom of the 2nd/lowest tier of U23 football would not be a good sign.

At least last season Tella was the academy player who could offer us minutes here or there in the PL... This season no one is standing out

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nta786 said:

Surely Horseman's job is now untenable, when did he come in? Does Ralph's playbook not work at development level football?

I'd have liked to think we were looking to go straight up again, to be finish bottom of the 2nd/lowest tier of U23 football would not be a good sign.

At least last season Tella was the academy player who could offer us minutes here or there in the PL... This season no one is standing out

Four Horseman of the Apocalypse seems the outcome so far

Edited by saint1977

On 19/09/2021 at 17:21, JRM said:

Should either let these nippers join the tyro league to allow them to stand a chance, or start letting some of the older players not getting regular first games feature to get some minutes and add some competition. 

I say the same thing every week, waste of time these lads trying to compete at this level. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, adriansfc said:

What’s the aim of this team? They are terrible. Small clearly has potential but does anyone else? I’ve not seen anything from any of them. 

u18s seems more important in developing talent. This and the u23s before feel like a bit of a wasteland for players who aren’t good enough but I guess they hope some will improve and make some money? 

Horseman will be on his way soon if this continues. Situation is going from bad to worse. Not good for our future prospects. Gutless performance.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 'B' Team