Theo Walcott

Saint Garrett

I'm not massively excited, in the sense that he isn't going to be the next Mane or Van Dijk but it's a sensible enough signing. Gives us an extra dimension upfront (do you want him or Long coming on if we need a goal?) and some extra cover in midfield. As has been noted, if it works out he should be a relatively cheap signing in the summer, assuming he will take a sensible wage.

We've getting a better balance to the squad now. If Salisu turns out good then we'll have depth in most positions.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

I hope we get to play against some high line teams and can start Redmond/Ings/Walcott. 

Great signing and chuffed he's back. Such an upgrade on the back up we've had, and think he'll push Redmond/Djenepo/Adams for starts.

I wouldn't be starting Walcott over Djenepo against a high line!

27 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I expect he will be playing off ings as a challenge to Adams. 

This is where I want to see him, he was only briefly played up top by Arsenal and it coincided with his best run in front of goal. He is a striker, not a winger, and hopefully we will play him there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

This is where I want to see him, he was only briefly played up top by Arsenal and it coincided with his best run in front of goal. He is a striker, not a winger, and hopefully we will play him there. 

I agree, it’s up front or nowhere IMO. Seems rather extravagant having him and Long in the squad, I’m guessing our interest in Theo is fairly recent.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Theo Walcott - Official: Signs on Loan

Good business, happy with that. Nice words on SSN from his as well - he clearly wants to be here and play, and it sounds like Everton did their bit to make it happen too. 

If he can stay fit, I have a feeling this will work out well. 

Surely there’s nothing bad to be said about this? Feel good signing all the way and relatively low risk. If only we’d spent the Carillo money on Theo when Arse released him. And for those who say he’s no winger, I remember him as a 16 yr old delivering probably the best cross I’ve ever seen from the byeline at SMS.

I am pleased he seems very up for it and I certainly think he adds some squad depth. The cost involved are very low risk as well. 

But remove the sentimentality from it, he's basically a player that can't get in a team that last year were basically the same as us, and really it would have been nice to see some further upgrades on the team. 

But I suppose financially we can't do that and we got the reinforcements in where we really needed them. 

Edited by tajjuk

11 hours ago, IOWSaintDaz said:

should have gone for Loftus-Cheek, Walcott is a waste of time and money

Loftus-Cheek was imo never going to leave London,but i didnt see him going to Fulham thought it would have been WHU. great move for him in that team .

11 hours ago, Saint_clark said:

He is longer a winger and was never a really good striker. In his young days at Saints, he was a cross between the two something no Manager seemed to understand or let him play the way he was at his best.

8 hours ago, trousers said:

How anyone can be against someone who is so clearly emotional and passionate for this club, pulling on the shirt is beyond me. 

Theo is a massive upgrade on Boufal, MASSIVE, not only that he’s got the most prem experience in the squad now and is clearly as passionate about the club as ever.

im buzzing about this, welcome home Theo 👍🏻👍🏻

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

How anyone can be against someone who is so clearly emotional and passionate for this club, pulling on the shirt is beyond me. 

Theo is a massive upgrade on Boufal, MASSIVE, not only that he’s got the most prem experience in the squad now and is clearly as passionate about the club as ever.

Agree, I’m not sure I’ve seen a player so obviously emotional about joining a club before. He’s not here to enjoy the scenery that’s for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

The two year deal given to long looking worse and worse.

I disagree. Both Long and Walcott will be mainly sub appearances until we get injuries. Long will be the option when we're defending a lead: he can chase everything and be a nuisance. Theo may be more useful when we're struggling to break down a defence.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

I'm not against it, I'm just not taken in by it. All this kissing the badge nonsense. We just happen to be his best option now. He hasn't come back like a hero because he loves us.

He left Saints first chance he got - rightfully so, and nothing against him for doing it. Just not going to be fooled by all this emotional "he loves the club" bullshit. 

He's past his best by a good way. Hoping he might have a few years swan song. We'll see. Nothing in the past few years to suggest he will but I hope he proves me wrong.

No problem with Theo's return but since he's outside our usual transfer remit of young players on either their first or second contract we must surely have missed out on our primary targets. As I say not unhappy with his return but our primary targets must've either been to expensive or gone elsewhere.

2 minutes ago, Trout-Tickler said:

No problem with Theo's return but since he's outside our usual transfer remit of young players on either their first or second contract we must surely have missed out on our primary targets. As I say not unhappy with his return but our primary targets must've either been to expensive or gone elsewhere.

Or were just not available ie the ManU FB

The ‘kissing the badge nonsense’ is often totally manufactured. Not in this case I think. He grew up here - Saints helped make him the player and the person he is. What’s not to like if he gets emotional about it? We all have formative periods in our life that we look back on with happy memories - I don’t see why footballers should be any different, and I don’t understand why anyone would feel negative about this move given that we had no money left. 

Welcome back Theo! It’ll be great to see you in the shirt again. Still remember the buzz in the stadium on your debut v Wolves when it looked like their defenders were running through treacle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan Johnson said:

Is he?? If he was so passionate about us why didn't he choose us over Everton two years ago?

I'm happy to have him here but am more than a little cynical that's it's much to do with love for the club. He's shown that if he gets a higher wage elsewhere he'd take that over us. I don't blame him for that, but it flies in the face of emotion and passion

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Is he?? If he was so passionate about us why didn't he choose us over Everton two years ago?

I'm happy to have him here but am more than a little cynical that's it's much to do with love for the club. He's shown that if he gets a higher wage elsewhere he'd take that over us. I don't blame him for that, but it flies in the face of emotion and passion

I used to holiday in Cornwall as a kid - loved it there. However, as an adult, I've tended to holiday in more exotic locations because of my financial situation allowing me to do so and wanting to see what the rest of the world has to offer. I holidayed back in Cornwall last month and will probably do so more often in the future now I've reached a certain age of life. I didn't love Cornwall any less because I chose to holiday elsewhere for a period of time....

This post was brought to you by the Potentially Dodgy Analogies Corporation.

Edited by trousers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Did we actually make a bid for him 2 years ago?

2 minutes ago, trousers said:

I used to holiday in Cornwall as a kid - loved it there. However, as an adult, I've tended to holiday in more exotic locations because of my financial situation allowing me to do so and wanting to see what the rest of the world has to offer. I holidayed back in Cornwall last month and will probably do so more often in the future now I've reached a certain age of life. I didn't love Cornwall any less because I chose to holiday elsewhere for a period of time. 

This post was brought to you by the Potentially Dodgy Analogies Corporation

😂 - like the analogy but each time you take a holiday you know you could take the next one in Cornwall as it's entirely your choice. There was no guarantee that Saints would ever want to sign Walcott again when he signed for Everton.

It will be interesting to see if Ralph can get him playing the pressing game. Some on here have questioned his aptitude but I'm not sure he's ever had a manager drill that sort of game into him. Unlikely Wenger or Koeman did anyway. Silva?

It could give his career a new lease of life if he can adapt to Ralph's methods

• Like 2