Theo Walcott

Saint Garrett

18 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

TW really wanted to come to Saints...until another team offered more money. Quality. He was going to get no minutes at Everton so thought I might as well get some minutes at Saints now and we just needed another body in the squad. Still don't see how he fits in our system. Glad its only a loan.

I’ve been a Saints fan all my life but if ai has been lucky enough to be an elite football and I was Theo at that stage, I would not have entertained signing for Pellegrino and Reed. Obvious where things were headed and Pellegrino should have been gone by the autumn. It wasn’t for Theo to prop up the worst manager in SFC history and a Vice-Chair who had been bailed out by Ronald and struggling on his own, and disappointment seems to have happened at the FA quite quickly in post SFC role. 

Who wants to play under a wreck of a manager who is waving players back to frantically protect a 1-0 lead against the PL’s lowest scoring side (and Hudds still scored)? With Poch or Koeman, he’d probably have rejoined then, Reed decided to massively downgrade with first Puel, Pellegrino and Hughes. The fact that having been seemingly knocked back - if they were, remember the Promes tyre kicking, Reed’s info was as reliable as Bangkok Saint on the Corona thread - they then spent £20m and probably £60k per week in wages on a player we just paid up after what, 8 appearances, says everything about those two and Wilson. 

Ralph has stabilised things a bit, Everton have carried on spending very heavily, so things change. He still could’ve gone to Newcastle, WHU and CP I heard. Not saying he will go into have a great season but let’s give him a chance. 

Edited by saint1977
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

TW really wanted to come to Saints...until another team offered more money. Quality. He was going to get no minutes at Everton so thought I might as well get some minutes at Saints now and we just needed another body in the squad. Still don't see how he fits in our system. Glad its only a loan.

Any chance you could post something like this on a daily basis just in case we forget how unimpressed you are with this transfer?

Much obliged ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chez said:

I actually liked a lot of what I saw of Elyounoussi. There I said it. I didn't really understand the almost universal dislike of him. He has a good touch, decent awareness and tries to make things happen...but perhaps nothing ever did, hence why he didn't make an impact and why no one on here likes him. 

Think folk quickly saw that whilst he may have the attributes to be a good footballer, it got shot to bits in the full heat of battle, the thought and intention was there but the moment of execution was snuffed out by the pace of the game and opposition players. "oh I was about to kick that"........ and repeat. A damning moment came up at Huddersfield, Obafemi had come on and was scaring the life out of their defence,  and bagging his first senior goal. He took a pass from Mo, took it into the box got surrounded, played the ball slightly blindly to where he, and most players in a similar cul-de-sac, thought Elyounoussi would be arriving. Mo was just stood watching pretty much from where he passed the ball to Young Michael. Obafemi just let rip at Mo questioning why he was over there when he should have been here. 

Didn't Ralph have similar positive things to say about Boufal when he returned from loan last Summer?

2 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Think folk quickly saw that whilst he may have the attributes to be a good footballer, it got shot to bits in the full heat of battle, the thought and intention was there but the moment of execution was snuffed out by the pace of the game and opposition players. "oh I was about to kick that"........ and repeat. A damning moment came up at Huddersfield, Obafemi had come on and was scaring the life out of their defence,  and bagging his first senior goal. He took a pass from Mo, took it into the box got surrounded, played the ball slightly blindly to where he, and most players in a similar cul-de-sac, thought Elyounoussi would be arriving. Mo was just stood watching pretty much from where he passed the ball to Young Michael. Obafemi just let rip at Mo questioning why he was over there when he should have been here. 

Didn't Ralph have similar positive things to say about Boufal when he returned from loan last Summer?

I was at that game. I don't recall that incident. I will take your word for it though, but it is easy to come away with different conclusions from the same game.  I would describe Obafemi's performance in that game as "...mis-controlling when in a great position on the break, missing a chance he should have took and getting a bit lucky to claim his first goal for the club". 

Yep. Not closing the door, but in reality actions speak louder than words. If you loan them out, you clearly don't rate them. I doubt he will play for us again unless we have some nightmare injury problem.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was at that game. I don't recall that incident. I will take your word for it though, but it is easy to come away with different conclusions from the same game.  I would describe Obafemi's performance in that game as "...mis-controlling when in a great position on the break, missing a chance he should have took and getting a bit lucky to claim his first goal for the club". 

Yep. Not closing the door, but in reality actions speak louder than words. If you loan them out, you clearly don't rate them. I doubt he will play for us again unless we have some nightmare injury problem.

I had the advantage of watching that one on a dodgy stream with cameras up every orifice coverage.

Does show why views do differ on here, I've sat in SMS watching the game from behind the goal, tuned into Sky for the Match choice thingy and gone blimey that was a bit different to what I sat through for 90 odd minutes this afternoon (ok they edit out a lump - probably ball out of play time).

I don't think Elyounoussi will ever make it here. He just didn't seem to have an impact on any games that he played. Like, less of an impact that Boufal had. Anonymous every time, even against Derby in the cup under Ralph when he played the full match in the 2-2 draw. Think it's down to a lack of pace/speed. Tadic didn't have either, but he made up for it with a better brain and more technical ability, which I do not believe Elyounoussi possesses. The Scottish/Swish league seems to be much more his level and he does stand out in those to be fair to him.

Edited by HarvSFC
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Theo Walcott

He grew into the game I felt. He was pretty rubbish for most of that first half, but as the second half wore on he started to find more space and pop up in between the lines.

He's certainly not quick anymore, but he looked to have something about him when there was space to wander into.

Impressed today. Wasn't the performance I was expecting, or the Walcott of old, but what he is now missing from his early days, he has developed other areas of his game to still perform at this level. Will be a miss now against Everton, but another two week break could serve him well.

Well if he does enough to warrant us offering him another year then he will have to be prepared for a major wage cut unless someone else is willing to offer him more. Players can't expect to keep earning 100k as they get older and, if Theo is sensible, he will surely accept that. 

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

He grew into the game I felt. He was pretty rubbish for most of that first half, but as the second half wore on he started to find more space and pop up in between the lines.

He's certainly not quick anymore, but he looked to have something about him when there was space to wander into.

Experience, i was one of those that thought really 30 something is that  what were about now, i know its early days,

but hes a Saints boy at heart really isnt he?.......

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

He’s out of contract in summer, so he’ll have to take a pay cut somewhere.

Exactly. Apparently Fraser is on £80 per week, so Theo on a free (if he does well over the season) at £60 to 80K would make sense for all sides on a rolling 12 month contract with pay as you play bonus. Certainly a much lesser risk than some of our recent so called mega signings! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Will be a miss now against Everton

Armstrong will be back, he was only serving out his coronavirus quarantine period I believe, but was already back in training. 

Walcott has at least shown he seems to understand Armstrong's role, so hopefully we have at least a solid replacement for him now. Smallbone hasn't looked comfortable playing there, but I think unlikely Walcott will get in ahead of Armstrong if he is fit. 

Edited by tajjuk

10 hours ago, Roo1976 said:

Experience, i was one of those that thought really 30 something is that  what were about now, i know its early days,

but hes a Saints boy at heart really isnt he?.......

I could be imagining it, but he seemed to be enjoying himself. I've got a feeling he could have a new lease of life and be important to us.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Going on yesterdays outing I would prefer these two to start and Redmond dropped, seemed so off the pace and dont get me started on his tracking back for their 3rd.

Agreed. Redmond needs to seriously up his game or he'll be spending his time on the bench.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, gordonToo said:

Agreed. Redmond needs to seriously up his game or he'll be spending his time on the bench.

no doubt that this is at least part of the reason for bringing in Walcott. Redmond has not had any cometition but we now have Walcott, REdmond, Armstrong and Djenepo vying for two spots; thats decent. Add in the four strikers, Ings, Adams, Long, and Obefemi and we now look stronger up front than we have for quite a while.

• Like 1

One game - one assist. He was brought in to replace Boufal. How does that compare to Boufal's ratio? No doubt some here will know how many assists provided in the seasons he was here. I think I can remember a couple but I'm afraid my memory is not good enough to remember against whom.

17 hours ago, skintsaint said:

Going on yesterdays outing I would prefer these two to start and Redmond dropped, seemed so off the pace and dont get me started on his tracking back for their 3rd.

I agree we should go for Theo and Armstrong as first choice in our ‘narrow winger’ positions. They both prefer the right side though. Are either of them comfortable on the left?

I’ve always seen Redmond as a budget Theo Walcott and (although he’s improved) I still do really. Better to go with the real thing. And if Redmond improves and earns his place back, great!

6 hours ago, Simon3737 said:

I agree we should go for Theo and Armstrong as first choice in our ‘narrow winger’ positions. They both prefer the right side though. Are either of them comfortable on the left?

I’ve always seen Redmond as a budget Theo Walcott and (although he’s improved) I still do really. Better to go with the real thing. And if Redmond improves and earns his place back, great!

Armstrong has scored a few goals with his left foot, if that helps. 

I think he'd be more effective on the left than Walcott. 

• Like 1

On 18/10/2020 at 01:16, Red said:

Exactly. Apparently Fraser is on £80 per week, so Theo on a free (if he does well over the season) at £60 to 80K would make sense for all sides on a rolling 12 month contract with pay as you play bonus. Certainly a much lesser risk than some of our recent so called mega signings! 

He wouldn't need to take a big hit on wages though, would he?

If we were to buy him now what would the fee be, £5m and would be quite cheep for someone of his experience with at least 2-3 years left.

If we offered £50,000 a week for 2 years with the transfer of £5m comes out at £10,200,00. Pay £10,200,000 over 2 years without transfer fee = £98,000 a week!

• Like 1