Theo Walcott

Saint Garrett

https://theathletic.com/news/southampton-transfer-news-theo-walcott-everton/h4LaN2tO2lPz

Looks like it's happening, 50% of his wages which I am guessing would cost us ca £50-60K a week..  Think it's a good bit of business that will give us experience, squad depth and versatility in the "10" positions and a different option up front.

Edited by Saint Garrett

27 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

At the risk of going all KK on you - "I'd love it if that happened, just love it."

But he has to play! Whose place does hew take? Armstrong's? That's not fair. If he's only going to get the last 5 mins of games, he's not going to want to come down.

But YES PLEASE!

Id play him instead of Djenepo....if hes comming to play for us he will bring experience for sure, but do we really need another has been 30 yr old to add to the subs bench already?

There is really nothing wrong with this deal. 

Whilst some people talk about us lacking experience in the squad (TRUE)  .....others will say he's TOO old at 31.

Aside from his Saints history ( not a issue here) his experience since leaving the club has shown that he was good enough to get 40+ England caps , and 

scored some good goals along the way.  We are not talking about giving a  4 year contract to a 31 year old ..... (Puel should have offered that to Jose Fonte), 

but a 9 month loan to a player who will be out of contract next summer anyway .  We are not looking to use him for 90 minute games every week, but 

being a good game- changer,  and IF he can impress enough with goals / assists then Ralph will be able to make a judgement on that at the end of the season.

Surely a win-win situation and a small help to take the pressure off Danny Ings.   

Edited by david in sweden
spelling
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

Id play him instead of Djenepo....if hes comming to play for us he will bring experience for sure, but do we really need another has been 30 yr old to add to the subs bench already?

"Another"??

The only players we have in the squad over 30 are:  McCarthy, Forster, Bertrand and Long

We haven't really had any alternate options off the bench, hence why Smallbone and Tella have got minutes, despite being nowhere near good enough yet.  

I think if we'd signed Walcott when we were linked with him before (then he joined Everton) I would have been quite pleased with the signing. But after a couple of years doing very little with them, I question if this is the best player we could have brought in. If we have to sign a loan player over a permanent, I'd much rather we brought Loftus-Cheek in. Does Walcott still have the one attribute that stood out all those years ago?

If it is Walcott, sure he'll get my support, but I don't believe he'll add much to us this season. Didn't he used to say he was more a striker than an AM/Winger? 

I wonder if this is a smokescreen for someone else? Or possibly one of a couple of signings?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Oooh, just think of the academy graduate chat the marketing team can talk about with this one. So much mileage of a player ‘coming home’ even if he’s way past his best and we couldn’t afford the two (possibly three) really decent ones. 

Go on then ... I got Bale and Ox. Who is the possible third? Shaw?? After yesterday???

59 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

There is really nothing wrong with this deal. 

Whilst some people talk about us lacking experience in the squad (TRUE)  .....others will say he's TOO old at 31.

Aside from his Saints history ( not a issue here) his experience since leaving the club has shown that he was good enough to get 40+ England caps , and 

scored some good goals along the way.  We are not talking about giving a  4 year contract to a 31 year old ..... (Puel should have offered that to Jose Fonte), 

but a 9 month loan to a player who will be out of contract next summer anyway .  We are not looking to use him for 90 minute games every week, but 

being a good game- changer,  and IF he can impress enough with goals / assists then Ralph will be able to make a judgement on that at the end of the season.

Surely a win-win situation and a small help to take the pressure off Danny Ings.   

Out of curiosity, what thought process did you go through to conclude that it would be a good idea to post such a pragmatic reply on the Saintsweb forum...? ;)

• Like 2

I’d have preferred lallana. A long way past his best, not what we need. 

Even at 50% I expect his wages will be up there as one of our highest earners. Can’t see us signing him permanently in the summer (should hope not) and wasted our domestic loan on someone who doesn’t improve our team. 

is he any better than Boufal? I’m not convinced he is, certainly not better than Redmond, Armstrong or dejenepo. 

massively underwhelmed by this. Textbook saints of a desperation deal towards the end of the window. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

I’d have preferred lallana. 

Jack Wilshere and Danny Wellbz would be good too. Really thicken that bench up 👍

Overall tho it's a lot like when Keegan signed. Are we allowed to have stree parties or is that against Rule of Six?

7 minutes ago, SKD said:

Even at 50% I expect his wages will be up there as one of our highest earners. Can’t see us signing him permanently in the summer (should hope not) and wasted our domestic loan on someone who doesn’t improve our team. 

is he any better than Boufal? I’m not convinced he is, certainly not better than Redmond, Armstrong or dejenepo. 

massively underwhelmed by this. Textbook saints of a desperation deal towards the end of the window. 

I understand your disappointment, but it isn't a fair comparison. Lallana signed for a 3 year contract at Brighton and I suspect on more than the £50k per week that we will pay for Walcott. If Walcott doesn't work out in the next 34 games then we can buy someone else in the summer; at least we're not going to be stuck with him like we have with the other failures. It's not exciting, but it is low risk.

If we are going to play a high press then walcott is a luxury we don't need. He has no idea how to close down or press. He didn't bother in his last match and left his defence in the lurch. My onclusion is he likes to attack but defence is for the less talented. I won't lose any sleep if this doesn't happen much as I liked him in 2005.

• Like 1

Yesterday I said 'no no' to the idea of Theo returning but today I am excited by the thought--its a loan, not a long contract, Everton pay half the wage and we get the benefit. He won't be 90 mins playert and every match like JWP but he will be a valuable asset and a different style. If he comes -welcome home and prove the doubters wrong!

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

I understand your disappointment, but it isn't a fair comparison. Lallana signed for a 3 year contract at Brighton and I suspect on more than the £50k per week that we will pay for Walcott. If Walcott doesn't work out in the next 34 games then we can buy someone else in the summer; at least we're not going to be stuck with him like we have with the other failures. It's not exciting, but it is low risk.

I wouldn’t / don’t want either, but lallana would be far better suited to what we currently require than Walcott. 

RLC would have been perfect for us, for most likely a few extra million £. It’s a real shame. 

Obviously the last couple of seasons haven't been the best for him, but a combination of Hasenhuttl, as well as the fitness Saints tend to be able to instil in players could be exactly what he needs to get the best out of him.

Relatively low risk on loan, and with a bit of luck, HCDAJFU

2 hours ago, skintsaint said:

a deeply depressing regressive transfer for us imo...

only thing I'm amazed at is he hasn't been injured the last 3 years...but then again he has hardly played as fooking wank.

Sorry to go all MLT, but:

He made 29 appearances for Everton last season, and 40 appearances the season before.

As a loan option, I think his experience will be a positive for the squad. Dont expect him to be a regular starter, but can certainly do a job for us.

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I just noticed when the loan ends he'll only have six months left on his Everton contract. Maybe this could lead to a permanent deal with him being available for a small fee next summer?

I think he's out of contract next Summer? Would be available for free in July. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

3 1/2 year deal signed in January 2018. Yes you are correct sir., i thought it was 4. Maybe get him on a free next year then?

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SKD said:

Before he's even kicked a ball

35 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Yep, it's basically a loan with a free transfer at the end if if works out. In the meantime, we only pay half his wages. 

Good business. 

• Like 1