Sport Republic

Dusic

On 23/04/2021 at 22:51, Toadhall Saint said:

Finally! No one (in there right minds) wants to buy us why would they?

This is exactly the time a sound businessman would buy us - assuming we avoid relegation this season. The opportunity cost is when things are low/bad, you buy a club/business at bottom dollar, make some sound investment in club, management (board and manager), players and infrastructure and grow the business/club. This is exactly what ML did and look at the turn around before he sadly passed away, and others with less interest, motivation and drive let it slide subsequently.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I don’t see us being bought any time soon, nor do I foresee another Markus Leibherr type owner that would be willing to invest.

Leibherr bought us for £13m with the objective of investing, say £50m to get us back to the premier league so his investment would be worth £200m. He didn’t buy us and invest because he was a great guy and loved the fans, he did it because he has a club of premier league revenue potential available at an incredible bargain price where he could treble his money on a few years 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1

I think it’s more the fact we need to compete, and based on this second half of the season it can’t come soon enough.

We cannot keep “building for the future”, too much wasted money, we’re shocking, this second half of the season has been poor and these players are a lot worse than they think.

Im very much Ralph in but any other manager would’ve gone by now. He needs help, and investment, desperately.

Clear the deadwood and those that don’t want to be there. Ings and Bertrand negotiations have rumbled on long enough.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Leibherr bought us for £13m with the objective of investing, say £50m to get us back to the premier league so his investment would be worth £200m. He didn’t buy us and invest because he was a great guy and loved the fans, he did it because he has a club of premier league revenue potential available at an incredible bargain price where he could treble his money on a few years 

Yep. Hardly any value in a club like us. What realistically could we achieve without stupid money being spent? Europa league? 

7 hours ago, SKD said:

Yep. Hardly any value in a club like us. What realistically could we achieve without stupid money being spent? Europa league? 

Indeed. 

The only people who will be interested in buying us are chancers / charlatans / Walter Mitty types (Gao, those Yanks at Burnley etc.) or mega billionaires / state investment funds.

Sadly, the former are more common than the latter. Clearly the Saudis were keen on a club but if they can get approval they'll just go back to Newcastle and, frankly, who wants to be owned by a country?

Our best hope is Craig David doing a Dr Dre.

There is no sensible business reason whatsoever for anyone to buy a middling Premier League football club.

Edited by benjii

7 hours ago, supersonic said:

I doubt it, I can't see it ever happening over here in reality 

I agree, the legal battle from all the club owners would stop it in its tracks I think, we are too far down the river for this to happen. 

Do you think now our sale will happen quicker the super league thing has been swatted away for now?

My concern is we try to sell the club too quickly, to the wrong buyer again. Sounds familiar. 

2 hours ago, benjii said:

Indeed. 

The only people who will be interested in buying us are chancers / charlatans / Walter Mitty types (Gao, those Yanks at Burnley etc.) or mega billionaires / state investment funds.

Sadly, the former are more common than the latter. Clearly the Saudis were keen on a club but if they can get approval they'll just go back to Newcastle and, frankly, who wants to be owned by a country?

Our best hope is Craig David doing a Dr Dre.

There is no sensible business reason whatsoever for anyone to buy a middling Premier League football club.

There is sensible business reasons that involve real estate, and this would have to have potential to grow and expand a City, it's where the mega bucks comes into play.

I dont know enough about the development opportunities in Southampton as far as planning at the Council go, but I'd imagine all the ground around the club could be purchased, with existing business relocated, and a major development built around the ground at some point.

Edited by Billy the Kidd

2 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I agree, the legal battle from all the club owners would stop it in its tracks I think, we are too far down the river for this to happen. 

Do you think now our sale will happen quicker the super league thing has been swatted away for now?

My concern is we try to sell the club too quickly, to the wrong buyer again. Sounds familiar. 

As quick as he can, the owner will sell up.  It’ll go to whoever is prepared to remove this albatross from his neck. 

4 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

There is sensible business reasons that involve real estate, and this would have to have potential to grow and expand a City, it's where the mega bucks comes into play.

I dont know enough about the development opportunities in Southampton as far as planning at the Council go, but I'd imagine all the ground around the club could be purchased, with existing business relocated, and a major development built around the ground at some point.

I used to think similar but someone once asked why they’d need to buy the football club to develop around it? Perhaps someone knows the answer to that, but I don’t. 

My opinion is the best we can hope for is an investor whose business plan is based on us staying the the top flight. If someone will spend enough to ensure that, then we may get the odd Koeman season thrown in. The worst thing that can happen is what Randy Lerner did to Villa, throw money at it before pulling out when he realised how much more was needed. 

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I used to think similar but someone once asked why they’d need to buy the football club to develop around it? Perhaps someone knows the answer to that, but I don’t. 

My opinion is the best we can hope for is an investor whose business plan is based on us staying the the top flight. If someone will spend enough to ensure that, then we may get the odd Koeman season thrown in. The worst thing that can happen is what Randy Lerner did to Villa, throw money at it before pulling out when he realised how much more was needed. 

Or someone who has a network of clubs and wants a PL club as his crown Jewell. 

RB or that bloke from Nice. 

We’ll end up with some noddy, with no money though, as per usual. 

25 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

One possible reason would be that once the area is gentrified, much of the industry has been moved out (which is in the pipeline/already happening) and the riverside opened up and developed, then that bit of land that the stadium sits on would be quite valuable - you could get a lot of apartments on there. That would of course be dependent on being able to find a cheap piece of land to build a new (cheap) stadium on elsewhere. Easy!

There have been similar rumours of Gao's intentions for getting involved in the first place but obviously not worked out well for him if anything in it.

9 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

That Ek Spotify guy is moving quick on Arsenal.

Sky Sports app on my phone has him plotting a takeover within days of that tweet.

This is how real money men move.

They don't just talk a good chat.

To be fair, I think it’s just Sky making a story out of a tweet. 

49 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I worked for a number of years for a property company in London. They dont really needs it, but some ivestors like to create mini villages with community, mixed use for resi/commercials, so think hi-rise swanky apartments with retail on the ground floor.  Isnt there a 'marina' as such a short bit away from the ground, they could turn that into something pretty good with investment.

A lot of also goes on what the strategy on the local council will be also, what they are looking to invest in etc.

And yep, we do need to be careful on what we get after Gao, not sure if im more nervous of that or facing Leciester on a Fri night.

Edited by Billy the Kidd

8 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

I worked for a number of years for a property company in London. They dont really needs it, but some ivestors like to create mini villages with community, mixed use for resi/commercials, so think hi-rise swanky apartments with retail on the ground floor.  Isnt there a 'marina' as such a short bit away from the ground, they could turn that into something pretty good with investment.

A lot of also goes on what the strategy on the local council will be also, what they are looking to invest in etc.

And yep, we do need to be careful on what we get after Gao, not sure if im more nervous of that or facing Leciester on a Fri night.

But again, why do they need to spend 200m on a football club (plus investment to just stand still) for them to do this? It doesn’t make sense. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, SKD said:

But again, why do they need to spend 200m on a football club (plus investment to just stand still) for them to do this? It doesn’t make sense. 

Well, maybe it wont happen, it was just a suggestion, but these types of investment deals are regularly discussed with corporate investors. Im pretty sure it helps grease wheel with councils for planning and such also.

For example I work for a company whos ultimate parent company is owned by the guy who runs Villa. His set of firms, and there are 100s of them, literally do so much it is unreal. From real estate, supplying governments, football clubs etc.

Companies now-days play are strategic longer term game. There was a new article i think about Wolves ownership and how they spin their web really wide for networking.

If it did, the club has long been trying to operate in a sustainable manner, which is possible if done correctly, and there are lots of upsides for these 

16 hours ago, Turkish said:

A tad unfair, he seemed genuinely pleased to support Saints and rarely missed a match. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Both things can be true.

Exactly. He supported the club because he had a vested interest in it. We done well, so did he. 

I think Marcus was one of the good guys, but ultimately he still was a business man. 

• Like 4

On 24/04/2021 at 03:29, EBS1980 said:

The CEO of Spotify tweeted to buy out KSE. If only we had wealthy fans who would offer to do the same!

looks like he has the backing of some Arsenal legends too, the fans will want this.

Can't wait for Neil Heaney, Craig Maskell et al to do the same for us.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, SKD said:

They don't. It's just nonsense. There are so many grim, under-developed bits of the city that I suspect the council would bite the hand of anyone who agreed to clear them of industrial contaminants, let alone build mixed used developments on them. They're not holding any property developers to ransom over ownership of saints.

• Like 1

Like I said previously, it may not be viable, some investors would look at that type of development which includes buying the club, other, different types of investor also just look at standard investment portfolios, sale & leasebacks, that part of stuff.

I was only saying it could be an option for someone, alternatively we may just be looking for an investor to purchase the club with no real estate angle.

Everton are doing something similar i believe around the development of the Wharf or whatever it is, and didnt Chelsea do some hotels and stuff also?

5 hours ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Like I said previously, it may not be viable, some investors would look at that type of development which includes buying the club, other, different types of investor also just look at standard investment portfolios, sale & leasebacks, that part of stuff.

I was only saying it could be an option for someone, alternatively we may just be looking for an investor to purchase the club with no real estate angle.

Everton are doing something similar i believe around the development of the Wharf or whatever it is, and didnt Chelsea do some hotels and stuff also?

As I understand it Everton have been given permission to build a £500m stadium on redundant port land in Liverpool.
Any supporting developments will be by third parties I think.
However it seems that Everton dont want to capitalise any revenue from selling the Goodison Park site and intend to retain it for community projects associated with the club.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Gérard Lopez

image.png.18604b0f9a63d3677a3b432facdd8bc0.png

Linked with a possible bid for Saints in this podcast...

https://www.spreaker.com/user/12250300/tottenham-lose-nagelsmann-consider-south

Yes. Low net worth individual who ‘stepped down’ as CEO of Lille when JP Morgan lost faith that he’d be able to manage the repayment of their £200m loan. 

46 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Is he basically Cortese? 
Puts in a great infrastructure, but not his money.  All goes Pete Tong when the money dries up.

He's more like a Laurence Bassini than Cortese.

I think the conduit was that Cortese was Markus Liebherrs personal banker and I read that's how it came about.

I don't think he was a high net worth individual himself.

Anyway, this bloke is a prick and like the bloke above said he got booted out of F1 more or less.