Saints vs Liverpool — Build-up & Match

SuperSAINT

We have played well and defended intelligently.

I do worry that Liverpool players have worked out how to get around us. Towards the end, we were seeing early diagonals, which quickly creates 2-on-1s against us due to our wide players tucking in.

I think we could improve by doing the same thing against liverpool.  We should release the ball early, given we have some pace up top

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Play the ball in behind their back four earlier. Delaying the pass is causing the runners to be caught offside.

Saints doing ok though.

Totally.  They look vulnerable with that high line....we need to exploit it...

33 minutes ago, adrian lord said:

Certainly quiet, and slow but the latter I thought was my hopeless rural "broad"band

Logging into the Saintsforum bit is hanging for me over the last few days, I keep having to click on the last thread updated bit to get in.

I am in NL so maybe I am being screwed since brexit haha

I totally bottled the last few minutes. Watching on a stream and ended up looking up whether we had made it through to half time. Fortunately the side has more bottle than me.

Lots of good performances throughout the side. Nearly everyone playing at a minimum of 7/10. Special mention to JWP who really is a fantastic player. Breaking up moves, calm passing, even winning headers. 

Also think the ref is doing okay. Apart from that clustofuck of a decision at the end to give a corner (reckon both him and the assistant took their eye off it) which I think was an innocent mistake, I think he doing a good job. Given a couple of bookings to Liverpool which most refs wouldn't. A couple of freekicks I would have given, but I'm also very biased. If he keeps this up, we stand a chance. And yes, it is a pathetic, but sad state of affairs that to beat a big side we need a strong ref.

Big half coming up. Our second halves have been atrocious too often.

Decent half for us with some good opportunities created and not too many against. Boy did we run around a lot, chasing everything hard. A bit headless chicken at times, but it worked. That massive effort worries me as we will tire and space will open up, but better us go for it from the get go than sit back and let them pick us apart in their own time. We need to use subs wisely in the second half, not helped by a lack of experience on the bench.

I missed the build up. Where is Adams and Romeu?

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Decent half for us with some good opportunities created and not too many against. Boy did we run around a lot, chasing everything hard. A bit headless chicken at times, but it worked. That massive effort worries me as we will tire and space will open up, but better us go for it from the get go than sit back and let them pick us apart in their own time. We need to use subs wisely in the second half, not helped by a lack of experience on the bench.

I missed the build up. Where is Adams and Romeu?

Adams recovering from concussion in the last game, Romeu picked up a knock in training at the weekend.

We know how this one ends, but at least we've given a decent account of ourselves for a half.

Leaving the defenders one Vs one against Salah, Mane and Firmino time and again is not a sustainable approach, imho.

And, Jesus Christ, Forster's a total liability with the ball at his feet. Shitting bricks every time the ball goes near him.

• Jimmy_D locked and unpinned this topic