Saints vs Liverpool — Build-up & Match

SuperSAINT

I don't see a 'spanking', as we are relatively 'solid'. (i bet we go and prove that wrong now).

But I cannot see us winning, we have a few fatigued players at the moment. But we can't change it up as we have no depth (Just people like Shane flaming Long)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 2

I wonder if this will be played which will benefit Saints . We have a few injuries and players could do with a rest .

With Man City having a game called off and the Tottenham- Fulham game in doubt I can see football being suspended for a month . 

The premier league returned 18 positive tests last time out and would not be surprised if more will be returned after the next round of testing .

Would be good for KWP to pick up a yellow so his suspension is for the Cup game that he would surely be rested for anyway.

Lineup wise, Armstrong for Djenepo. Would be good to see Redmond available on the bench. 

Edited by Dusic

20 minutes ago, IFHP said:

I wonder if this will be played which will benefit Saints . We have a few injuries and players could do with a rest .

With Man City having a game called off and the Tottenham- Fulham game in doubt I can see football being suspended for a month . 

The premier league returned 18 positive tests last time out and would not be surprised if more will be returned after the next round of testing .

Agreed, it's only going one way whetherr you agree with it or not.

Tier 5 mooted (which will apparently include curfews) and almost certainly a 'pause' of all professional sport.

Meet 2021, same as 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, whelk said:

I see a postponement due to Covid.

This sounds the most likely at the moment, probably worth a thread of its own but a break of 4 to 6 weeks will completely change the dynamic of the season, if the want to fit the Euros in next summer its not going to allow much time to play the lost fixtures. 

Needless to say if this weekend's games do go ahead we'll most likely lose, especially if the Liverpool (7-0 v Palace) turn up. Fingers crossed we get the Liverpool (1-1 v WBA) , any point gained would be a bonus. 

I think many players are both physically and mentally fatigued now due to all the protocols with this virus flair seems to have been sacrificed for solidity and just getting through and the job done 

3 games we should have won 9 points instead 3 draws 3 points better off with a win/ defeat and getting 4 probably lose this 1-2

• Like 1

Hoping someone takes out mane.. I spoke to him around the time of his transfer he walked into Apple store in westquay in half disguise .. a baseball cap and sunglasses 🙄I immediately spotted him and walked over ...hi Sadio I said with a smile .. he sunk into shoulders and reluctantly nodded .. are you staying or going ‘ I said .. ‘I stay he muttered under his Breath and walked over to an assistant..he went to Liverpool a week later .. and I’ve held a massive grudge ever since ! ...so Romeu or jwp please take him out for me 💪🏻#upthesaints

17 hours ago, Dusic said:

Would be good for KWP to pick up a yellow so his suspension is for the Cup game that he would surely be rested for anyway.

Doesn't work like that nowadays, only applies to the competition that you pick up the cards in (unless I have missed something, this was introduced in 18/19 and continued in 19/20). It would be better if he just avoids a yellow card in the next 3 PL games.

1 hour ago, VectisSaint said:

Doesn't work like that nowadays, only applies to the competition that you pick up the cards in (unless I have missed something, this was introduced in 18/19 and continued in 19/20). It would be better if he just avoids a yellow card in the next 3 PL games.

Ah, fair enough. In that case, hopefully he can avoid another but seems fairly unlikely with three tough games to come.

Hopefully we get Williams in early Jan rather than having to play Stephens out of position (assuming Valery is totally out of the picture as it appears).

For whichever reason (motivational?) Liverpool have not been the all conquering team that they were for the majority of last season since football restarted after the COVID break. Hopefully we don't catch them on a 7-0 day, and we get this misfiring team too.

teams are clearly fatigued by the quick turnaround between games and goals are proving hard to come by. i think our longer rest will help and we will give a much better showing overall than the last two games. still not expecting a win but a draw would be a good result.

• Like 1

Assuming it goes ahead, feels like we need some fresh legs for this one, but not really that many options right now.

Can Ings play another game so soon?

Walcott probably has to start as he’s our only real attacking threat right now.

Is Redmond fit?

Mccarthy; KWP Bednarek Stephens Bertrand; Romeu JWP; Armstrong Ings Long Walcott

Forster Salisu Diallo Redmond Djenepo Adams all on the bench

16 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Assuming it goes ahead, feels like we need some fresh legs for this one, but not really that many options right now.

Can Ings play another game so soon?

Walcott probably has to start as he’s our only real attacking threat right now.

Is Redmond fit?

Mccarthy; KWP Bednarek Stephens Bertrand; Romeu JWP; Armstrong Ings Long Walcott

Forster Salisu Diallo Redmond Djenepo Adams all on the bench

Tuesday to Monday should be ok.

We should go as full strength as we can, players shouldn't be fatigued. It's fallen for us really nicely, so we are fortunate that ours is Monday night, it pretty much gives us an entire week from the last time we played. Pretty much same as any other match week in a season.

We have the FA Cup the following weekend to rest everyone if we want to.

On 29/12/2020 at 22:36, S-Clarke said:

I don't see a 'spanking', as we are relatively 'solid'. (i bet we go and prove that wrong now).

But I cannot see us winning, we have a few fatigued players at the moment. But we can't change it up as we have no depth (Just people like Shane flaming Long)

Ah ha! Our secret weapon - Shane Long. I do recall he has "previous" against Dipperpool. Did he not score a blinder against them in a certain semi-final? It's about time then, that he scored against them again! Come on Shane - you know you can do it! 1-0 to The Saints - Shane scores the winner. There you go....job done.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

why do millionaires need coaching from the sidelines during a game. They are not puppets. Let them think for themselves and put their training into effect in the games

Lots of reasons. Firstly they are not a collective mind, 11 players making independent tactical decisions is a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

why do millionaires need coaching from the sidelines during a game. They are not puppets. Let them think for themselves and put their training into effect in the games

That's one of strangest  comments / questions I've heard in ages.

Depending on how the other team set up, play, how the game go's, etc, we need to change / tweak how we play.

It's not for the players to figure that out, have a little chat, and then implement it. Their job is to play, and the coach does the coaching. 

31 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

why do millionaires need coaching from the sidelines during a game.

same reason an orchestra needs a conductor, actors need a Director, musicians need a producer I would guess !

Its not cricket where a batsman knows his main aim is to not get out

I ca remember in the sixties rarely knew who the manager was (Ted Bates was an exception )let alone see lingering close ups of them  and their antics on TV every so often and missing the action in the meantime. The cult of managers has come with the arrival of televised games and the celebrity phenomenum

On 29/12/2020 at 19:17, OttawaSaint said:

Yes, near Andover. My Dad took me to the Dell in 1980. Supporter ever since. Dad was forces so we moved around a bit so I’d go to away games mostly. Moved to Ottawa in 2000.

Thanks for sharing your personal info with me and the others. I moved around  a bit on various civil engineering project both in the UK and abroad eg Saudi ,Pakistan etc

15 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

I ca remember in the sixties rarely knew who the manager was (Ted Bates was an exception )let alone see lingering close ups of them  and their antics on TV every so often and missing the action in the meantime. The cult of managers has come with the arrival of televised games and the celebrity phenomenum

It has nothing to do with the manager becoming more the focus of the media. Tactics have become significantly more detailed in the last 60 years. They can't be left for the players to implement on the pitch as a collective without outside input.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints vs Liverpool — Build-up & Match
  • Jimmy_D locked and unpinned this topic