Saints vs Liverpool — Build-up & Match

SuperSAINT

No idea how reliable this site is....but "HampshireLive" is reporting 3 are missing tonight, but doesn't name who...

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-liverpool-team-news-confirmed-4851884

This is the squad they're claiming...which would mean no McCarthy, Vestergaard, Redmond and Long...?

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster, Harry Lewis.

Defenders: Kyle Walker-Peters, Yan Valery, Jan Bednarek, Jack Stephens, Mohammed Salisu, Ryan Bertrand, Jake Vokins.

Midfielders: James Ward-Prowse, Oriol Romeu, Ibrahima Diallo, Stuart Armstrong, Theo Walcott, Moussa Djenepo, Nathan Tella, Will Smallbone.

Forwards: Che Adams, Danny Ings, Michael Obafemi, Dan N'Lundulu.

2 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Why was that (regrettably I never went to the Dell)?

As East Kent Saint says, urine was only vaguely diverted into the drainage. There was usually a wee up the wall contest in progress as well.

No internet in them days, made our own sophisticated fun back then.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

No idea how reliable this site is....but "HampshireLive" is reporting 3 are missing tonight, but doesn't name who...

https://www.hampshirelive.news/sport/football/football-news/southampton-liverpool-team-news-confirmed-4851884

This is the squad they're claiming...which would mean no McCarthy, Vestergaard, Redmond and Long...?

Goalkeepers: Fraser Forster, Harry Lewis.

Defenders: Kyle Walker-Peters, Yan Valery, Jan Bednarek, Jack Stephens, Mohammed Salisu, Ryan Bertrand, Jake Vokins.

Midfielders: James Ward-Prowse, Oriol Romeu, Ibrahima Diallo, Stuart Armstrong, Theo Walcott, Moussa Djenepo, Nathan Tella, Will Smallbone.

Forwards: Che Adams, Danny Ings, Michael Obafemi, Dan N'Lundulu.

Isn't Long normally missing even when he is in the squad? 

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Perhaps we should write this game off and rest Ings along with a few others? I know Ralph won't because he's a winner but I fear we're missing too many here.

Why the hell should we do that?

We're playing a League One team on Saturday, rest players then.

58 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Perhaps we should write this game off and rest Ings along with a few others? I know Ralph won't because he's a winner but I fear we're missing too many here.

Madness!

What a great game for the fringe players that come in to show Ralph just how hungry they are to be seriously considered for a starting berth - (I'm going to wash my mouth out with soap after typing this) It is the only game, on a Monday night, against one of the biggest football clubs in the World, if you feel your future as a player is no longer at Southampton and you get picked to play - there ain't going to be a much bigger shop window to pitch your stall in. 

Yes they may have ended up relegated, but Norwich played Man City last season with a team mostly cobbled together with a Rag Tag and Bobtail bunch of fringe players, at the final whistle City were scratching their heads at how they didn't have even a single point to show for their endeavors.

• Like 2

Hopefully there won’t be pressure to have an unnecessary (at our place anyway) minutes silence for Gerry Marsden. 
guess they Will be wearing black armbands and sky will have a love in field day with JC leading the way. 
And he is famous for a song he never even wrote. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The bigger picture is that we should obviously go for a win. We would be 4 points behind the leaders... and miles ahead of the relegation line we have so often feared in the past! We have the best Saints team in ages and, even with a few injuries, have a positive mindset! Remember City earlier in the year when Che scored- good job we didn't throw that match!

17 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, with national lockdown #2 supposedly kicking in at midnight, are we to assume tonight's game will be the last premier league game for the foreseeable future?

I don't think  it can, parliament needs to make it law and they are being recalled Wednesday to vote. 

Probably Wednesday midnight.

19 minutes ago, trousers said:

So, with national lockdown #2 supposedly kicking in at midnight, are we to assume tonight's game will be the last premier league game for the foreseeable future?

I don't think  it can, parliament needs to make it law and they are being recalled Wednesday to vote. 

20 minutes ago, trousers said:

The lockdown announced today in Scotland is not currently going to stop professional sport. I'd imagine England will be the same, but who knows! Boris doesn't!

Updated Scottish government guidance says those "involved in professional sports, for training, coaching or competing in an event" will be allowed to leave their homes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/scotland/55534868

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, RedWillie said:

They don't need to wait for Parliament to debate, the coronavirus bill passed back in March allows the government special legislative powers. I suspect elite sport will not be affected, but who knows.

• Like 1

Fairly sure pro sport will carry on. Partly to sustain public morale (though I'm not sure football is doing much for the morale of Sheff Utd fans). And partly because pro clubs are a living lab for intensive testing, tracing and isolating.

The teams that have held Liverpool to a draw have generally been defence minded teams well set up to weather the inevitable storm of fast raids by their three frontmen. We are not set up like that at all, our normal attacking game will play right into their hands and they will pick us off piece by piece with fast counter attacks.

With our usual reluctance to score and predictable descent into panic stations defending, the best I can see coming is 1-3 to the visitors and perhaps even worse. They are just too good for us in particular. No doubt RH will see only good from the defeat

37 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

The teams that have held Liverpool to a draw have generally been defence minded teams well set up to weather the inevitable storm of fast raids by their three frontmen. We are not set up like that at all, our normal attacking game will play right into their hands and they will pick us off piece by piece with fast counter attacks.

With our usual reluctance to score and predictable descent into panic stations defending, the best I can see coming is 1-3 to the visitors and perhaps even worse. They are just too good for us in particular. No doubt RH will see only good from the defeat

Yes, the 'pool fans are quite pleased to be playing us as we suit their game.

That said their defence always has a dodgy moment so fingers crossed.

Edited by steve green

Hopefully it's like the game against Everton under Koeman years and years back, on a poor run of form...went into it without quite a few regulars (Harrison Reed started) and it just refreshed the team and we ran out well deserved winners.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

As expected, Forster starts...but so does Diallo, no sign of Romeu in the squad.

Subs bench is a 'WTF' though.

Lewis, Vokins, Valery, Ramsay, Chauke, Smallbone, Tella, Long, N'Lundulu.

Our weakest ever PL subs bench? That's shockingly bad.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints vs Liverpool — Build-up & Match
  • Jimmy_D locked and unpinned this topic