Jankewitz hands in transfer request

Saint Garrett

1 hour ago, Avenue_Saint said:

Had high hopes for Hesketh. There’s a player in there.

with time he could have built up his combative and physical side.

Was playing some lovely slide rule passes when I saw him play. A talent

Yep, him and Sims had something but they haven't kicked on. I don't think we've handled them brilliantly though - the policy of not loaning out but not giving opportunities means that players aren't developing, and if they ain't developing, they eventually go backwards. Hesketh is better than a loan at Crawley at 25 years of age. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, egg said:

Yep, him and Sims had something but they haven't kicked on. I don't think we've handled them brilliantly though - the policy of not loaning out but not giving opportunities means that players aren't developing, and if they ain't developing, they eventually go backwards. Hesketh is better than a loan at Crawley at 25 years of age. 

Was it Hesketh who went off injured early on his debut, away at Burnley I think. Never got a look in after that. It’s strange that since then he’s been overlooked by four managers. Five if you include Koeman never giving him another go.

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Was it Hesketh who went off injured early on his debut, away at Burnley I think. Never got a look in after that. It’s strange that since then he’s been overlooked by four managers. Five if you include Koeman never giving him another go.

Yep, he got whacked by someone and came off. Whether he had a bit of fear from that I don't know, but from that to Crawley Town in 5 or 6 years and barely playing a game in teh meantime is a shame. 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Looked like he was in tears when he came off in that game, I don't think it was even that bad an injury.

I think if we'd have been in the Championship, Hesketh and Sims may have progressed a little more. They were unlucky to come into the side at a time when we had Mane, Tadic in and around the squad (and Long...). They were never superstar young players at the time, just decent enough players to help fill out the squad, so they weren't ever going to oust established PL players. That's why they stagnated I think. There was definitely something in both of them and I think they'll make a career in the Championship and below- Sims, maybe bottom half PL later in his career.

10 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Yeah sorry that’s harsh on them I meant more that we haven’t had anyone that’s made everyone sit up and take note straight away (Shaw, Bale, Walcott, Ox etc). Agree that those you’ve listed have all looked like they could contribute something. 

Agreed.  Although it was fairly easy for those players you mention to shine brightly in a Championship / Div 1 side.  Even Bale would struggle as a 17 year old getting into todays Saints side - especially as he was such a lightweight compared to the beast he later became.  I think the game has fundamentally changed for youngsters who Ralph likes to see 'bulked up' a bit before exposing them to the intensity of the EPL.  This reset of the academy structure under Ralph with the playbook replicated across all levels will pay dividends long term but there will probably be a bit of a lull while the transformation takes place.  

We'll have to wait and see about Valery, Sims and Vokins etc but I'm sure there are one or two that will make us regret releasing them (assuming we do of course - they are still Saints players!!).  History is full of those stories so I'm not too worried.  I just hope they all make it.

23 minutes ago, Mowgli said:

Agreed.  Although it was fairly easy for those players you mention to shine brightly in a Championship / Div 1 side.  Even Bale would struggle as a 17 year old getting into todays Saints side - especially as he was such a lightweight compared to the beast he later became.  I think the game has fundamentally changed for youngsters who Ralph likes to see 'bulked up' a bit before exposing them to the intensity of the EPL.  This reset of the academy structure under Ralph with the playbook replicated across all levels will pay dividends long term but there will probably be a bit of a lull while the transformation takes place.  

We'll have to wait and see about Valery, Sims and Vokins etc but I'm sure there are one or two that will make us regret releasing them (assuming we do of course - they are still Saints players!!).  History is full of those stories so I'm not too worried.  I just hope they all make it.

The other side of the coin is that we can pick up players like Tella.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I think if we'd have been in the Championship, Hesketh and Sims may have progressed a little more. They were unlucky to come into the side at a time when we had Mane, Tadic in and around the squad (and Long...). They were never superstar young players at the time, just decent enough players to help fill out the squad, so they weren't ever going to oust established PL players. That's why they stagnated I think. There was definitely something in both of them and I think they'll make a career in the Championship and below- Sims, maybe bottom half PL later in his career.

Sims is the one that I think really had something. That run and ball against Liverpool was quality. Les Reed rated Sims and thought he was going to do really well. Without the players you mention being in his way, and the managerial changes, perhaps things would have worked out differently. I can't help but think though that he'd have had more of a chance of he'd had a season or two on loan in the championship rather than sitting around the club not playing. 

4 minutes ago, egg said:

Sims is the one that I think really had something. That run and ball against Liverpool was quality. Les Reed rated Sims and thought he was going to do really well. Without the players you mention being in his way, and the managerial changes, perhaps things would have worked out differently. I can't help but think though that he'd have had more of a chance of he'd had a season or two on loan in the championship rather than sitting around the club not playing. 

Like you said, our management of these players have been poor. I class Slattery in that group as well - very talented, but kept here for too long and not given opportunities. There's only so much you can do in the U23's.

I hope we don't end up doing the same with Alex, as I think we'll look back in a few years shaking our heads if he leaves.

2 hours ago, egg said:

Missed a year with a serious knee injury in what should have been his "kicking on" season after breaking through under Puel. Sadly, that derailed his development massively and his moment passed. Not sure we could've done much differently - you can't legislate for injuries. It just shows how tough it is for a talented kid to make it: the window of opportunity can be very small and if you're unlucky enough to be injured when it's open, that's you done.

7 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Thought he could have turned that into a 'studs up' two footed challenge if he'd applied himself a bit better. Clearly has a lot to learn.

No wonder Ralph doesn't seem to trust him. 

Edited by Badger
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Why? He is only 19 years old, he can't expect to be getting regular gametime in a PL team. 

What a load of rubbish. If anything is ‘blocking the pathway’ is an attitude such as this. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough. As per the Luke shaw example you used. 

There’s an argument if he’s better than JWP, Romeu & Diallo. But he’s certainly better than Stephens in there. 

If he goes, it’s on Ralph for treating him like shit. 

When did International U21 football become the yardstick of how good a player is?

I mean, come on  it's glorified reserve team football of no consequence at all.

Just look at prety much any U21 team in the history of the world and spin five years forward and see how many truly make the grade to top level international. Redmond was a U21 regular under Southgate for example.

I've no idea if this kid is any good or not but I am pretty confident that he is not the world beater right now that some seem to think he is. If Ralph isn't picking him thats fair enough, not some scandal.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

When did International U21 football become the yardstick of how good a player is?

Just look at prety much any U21 team in the history of the world and spin five years forward and see how many truly make the grade to top level international. Redmond was a U21 regular under Southgate for example.

I've no idea if this kid is any good or not but I am pretty confident that he is not the world beater right now that some seem to think he is. If Ralph isn't picking him thats fair enough, not some scandal.

Yep, some top players have graduated from the big U21 sides as we are finally seeing with Shaw and JWP’s emergence after being an U21 bedrock but equally Jankewitz could turn out to be Yoann Folly, a staple in the French U21 sides but running out for Plymouth within a few years of his SFC debut. Tim Sparv was another with big billing, again not a bad career but certainly not signed by Bayern aged 25 in his prime. Did knock Saints out of Europa under Koeman though..

Domestically, Ravel Morrison represented all of the England age sides but seemingly attitude and application spoiled one of most natural abilities amongst his peers. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, LeG said:

AJ is a very good player, but come on, he completely blew his chance, and brought shame / embarrassment on the whole club. We aren't safe yet, and RH needs players that are fully committed - players he can trust. Im sure that when we are safe, we will see what he can do.

Rubbish. Plenty of teams go down to ten men and don’t ship 9. This is a discussion that is has been had many a time, but Ralph need to shoulder a large share of the blame for not changing shape. 

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s a world beater. He’s still a young lad, who clearly has a lot to learn. I’d say he should be 4th in the pecking order after the main 3. 

If we had signed Tom Davies or Oliver Skipp (or anyone in that England team) I think people would be fairly happy with that, so a bit harsh to call ‘reserve football’, but get your drift. 

But to put a CB in there and to not give him any minutes in an FA cup game (which would have been perfect to bed him back in), which was won, was pretty piss poor to be honest. Especially after how the lad must be feeling. 

Edited by SKD

43 minutes ago, SKD said:

But to put a CB in there and to not give him any minutes in an FA cup game (which would have been perfect to bed him back in), which was won, was pretty piss poor to be honest. Especially after how the lad must be feeling. 

To be fair, we know little to nothing of what happens behind the scenes and at Staplewood.

He obviously put in a transfer request - and players don't do that for no reason - so clearly his relationship with the club is not great.

He then got a chance and made a horrendous mistake. Yes he is young, but this is the top level of pro football and his error contributed to a team and manager being humiliated.

I am sure Ralph has his reasons for not selecting him again. It would be nice if he was asked about them so we could hear, but to describe not bringing him on as a sub as being "piss poor" is a stretch because you don't know those reasons.

It may be very clear that he is leaving in the summer, in which case no point playing him. It may be that Ralph doesn't feel he can trust him at all, it may be that Ralph felt he would have rather given those minutes to Nathan Tella who was unlucky not to start and has shown a great, committed attitude. It may be that Ralph doesn't actually think he is that good.

Edited by Dusic

10 minutes ago, Dusic said:

To be fair, we know little to nothing of what happens behind the scenes and at Staplewood.

He obviously put in a transfer request - and players don't do that for no reason - so clearly his relationship with the club is not great.

He then got a chance and made a horrendous mistake. Yes he is young, but this is the top level of pro football and his error contributed to a team and manager being humiliated.

I am sure Ralph has his reasons for not selecting him again. It would be nice if he was asked about them so we could hear, but to describe not bringing him on as a sub as being "piss poor" is a stretch because you don't know those reasons.

It may be very clear that he is leaving in the summer, in which case no point playing him. It may be that Ralph doesn't feel he can trust him at all, it may be that Ralph felt he would have rather given those minutes to Nathan Tella who was unlucky not to start and has shown a great, committed attitude. It may be that Ralph doesn't actually think he is that good.

Re: Tella.

Ralph even said: “He is for me at the moment, the most interesting player of our youth.”

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Out of interest, what could possibly be the reasons? I cannot see a valid point, other than just ‘teaching a lesson’. 

Obviously he had a big mistake, he’ll know that, he’ll be kicking himself. But to keep him in exile as a result is poor man management of a young lad, imo. 

The game was won, against a pretty poor team and 5 subs to stick on, it’s perfect to give someone 10 minutes who you’re trying to bed in and even better to ease someone back in after an incident like that. 

One of those subs was Nlundlu who is clearly not going to make it at any significant level. 

Even if the club know he’s going, giving him game time will only add to his value. 

1 hour ago, LeG said:

AJ is a very good player, but come on, he completely blew his chance, and brought shame / embarrassment on the whole club. We aren't safe yet, and RH needs players that are fully committed - players he can trust. Im sure that when we are safe, we will see what he can do.

That's fine.

But here's where that argument falls down for me...

Why name him on the bench then? He's been an unused sub in at least 3 games since that and for him to not get on the pitch in the FA Cup V Bournemouth that we'd easily won was criminal.

I'm not convinced by Ralph's handling methods, it seems with him it's '1 strike and you're out'.

If Ralph has no confidence in him after Man United then Jankewitz should be allowed to leave and no further involvement in the first team squad.

2 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

That's fine.

But here's where that argument falls down for me...

Why name him on the bench then? He's been an unused sub in at least 3 games since that and for him to not get on the pitch in the FA Cup V Bournemouth that we'd easily won was criminal.

I'm not convinced by Ralph's handling methods, it seems with him it's '1 strike and you're out'.

If Ralph has no confidence in him after Man United then Jankewitz should be allowed to leave and no further involvement in the first team squad.

I’m sure I saw somewhere before that apparently Rohl was the go between Ralph and the players and apparently his communication with the team was pretty limited other than on the training pitch and in a game. I can’t recall where I saw that and obviously don’t know the truth or if that’s now changed. 

30 minutes ago, SKD said:

I’m sure I saw somewhere before that apparently Rohl was the go between Ralph and the players and apparently his communication with the team was pretty limited other than on the training pitch and in a game. I can’t recall where I saw that and obviously don’t know the truth or if that’s now changed. 

I don't see anything wrong with that.

When I'm employed by a company I'm not expecting my boss to talk to me, ring me up, or anything else at any other time other than when I'm at work.

Same goes for footballers, Ralph is their boss. 

I think people forget this is their job, he's their superior, he's not their mate.

Footballers get up, go to work pick up their paycheck. That's it.

I'm not sure who some on here have been watching? He is no where near the levels of JWP, Diallo or Romeuo, which put him as 4th choice at best and i would argue Armstrong would even be better in CM than this over hyped kid.

At present we have to play our best 11 available and if and when we are safe we can start giving the lad some minutes and really see if he is anywhere near first team football.

I watched him play against England U21 and i really was not impressed by him at all.

We know that if a player's attitude isn't right then Ralph will go hard on them, regardless of ability. One of his first tasks was to change the team culture and get rid of the bad eggs. Wasn't there a story about Cedric getting roasted for looking at his phone in the treatment room instead of talking to? We've also seen rumours about Hoedt, Slattery, Obafemi, Lemina etc, all of whom are now out of the picture.

It's confusing for us as fans because we don't see what's going on in the dressing room but Ralph may well have his reasons for not picking Jankewitz

23 minutes ago, LeG said:

What I said was not rubbish. I didn't say that AJ was FULLY responsible for that defeat / bringing shame on the club? He played his part though didn't he? (Ironically his part lasted 2mins) Of course Ralph has to shoulder some of the blame. Both RH and AJ are far from perfect. There's obviously a lot more to it behind the scenes. 

he completely blew his chance, and brought shame / embarrassment on the whole club”

I’m sorry but that is rubbish. 10 other players and a manager equally embarrassed and brought shame on the club that night. Some of which it’s happened to twice now and you’d expect a hell of a lot more from given their age and experience. 

But agree there is obviously something going on behind the scenes. A shame as looks a talent and I suspect will go on to being someone who could have been more than a handy player for us in hindsight. 

7 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

We know that if a player's attitude isn't right then Ralph will go hard on them, regardless of ability. One of his first tasks was to change the team culture and get rid of the bad eggs. Wasn't there a story about Cedric getting roasted for looking at his phone in the treatment room instead of talking to? We've also seen rumours about Hoedt, Slattery, Obafemi, Lemina etc, all of whom are now out of the picture.

It's confusing for us as fans because we don't see what's going on in the dressing room but Ralph may well have his reasons for not picking Jankewitz

And how’s that one worked out. No back up RB or LB, playing a CB in CM, having to name a bench full of kids and naming 3 keepers in a machday squad. 

I like the concept of course, but As a club who are skint, cutting off the nose to spite the face comes to mind. 

• Like 1

If you were a 19 year old lad, who is highly rated and have interest from other clubs, how would you feel if an absolute donkey like N’lundlu was getting game time ahead of you? 

I’d be kicking off as well. 

• Confused 1

8 minutes ago, SKD said:

If you were a 19 year old lad, who is highly rated and have interest from other clubs, how would you feel if an absolute donkey like N’lundlu was getting game time ahead of you? 

I’d be kicking off as well. 

N'LUNDU is a striker (or claims to be!) you cannot compare the two.

Who do you think this 19 year old should be ahead of in the position he plays? It sure is not JWP, Diallo, Romeou or even Armstrong

5 minutes ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

N'LUNDU is a striker (or claims to be!) you cannot compare the two.

Who do you think this 19 year old should be ahead of in the position he plays? It sure is not JWP, Diallo, Romeou or even Armstrong

I know he’s a striker. He’s also fucking garbage and I’d rather change formation that stick him in the squad. 

As I’ve said, for me, he’s 4th choice behind JWP, Diallo & Romeu. Armstrong played okay in there, but he’s naturally too attacking to play as a 6, for me. 

1 hour ago, SKD said:

And how’s that one worked out. No back up RB or LB, playing a CB in CM, having to name a bench full of kids and naming 3 keepers in a machday squad. 

I like the concept of course, but As a club who are skint, cutting off the nose to spite the face comes to mind. 

We had a terrible injury crisis and we didn't recruit properly at full back. But that doesn't change the fact that football is a team game and you need the right personalities. How many times have we seen teams with talented players underperforming because they don't have a team ethic? Our best hope of surviving and prospering in this league is by making the team greater than the sum of its parts

4 hours ago, SKD said:

I don’t think anyone is saying he’s a world beater. He’s still a young lad, who clearly has a lot to learn. I’d say he should be 4th in the pecking order after the main 3. 

If we had signed Tom Davies or Oliver Skipp (or anyone in that England team) I think people would be fairly happy with that, so a bit harsh to call ‘reserve football’, but get your drift. 

If we signed Davies or Skipp there would be plenty of moaning on here, and rightly so as neither are better than what we already have.

We don't owe Jankewitz anything. He is an employee nothing more nothing less, and when given his big break he completely blew it. Not saying he shouldn't get a second chance but Ralph sees far more of him up close than anyone on here and if he doesn't trust him or think he's ready then I back his judgement.

It's not just about ability. Temperament and attitude are just as important if a young player is to make it and the evidence on that front so far isn't great.

I'm sure he will get some game time before the end of the season with Romeu's injury and it's up to him to seize his chance. Right now if he left in the summer I certainly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

9 hours ago, SKD said:

What a load of rubbish. If anything is ‘blocking the pathway’ is an attitude such as this. If you’re good enough, you’re old enough. As per the Luke shaw example you used. 

I'm not denying he is a good player, but he can't expect to suddenly jump the queue above Ward-Prowse, Romeu and Diallo. Sure Stephens playing instead of him was daft, but the other three have done nothing wrong to warrant Jankewitz overtaking them. I think you haven't understood my Luke Shaw example.

Edited by Matthew Le God

10 hours ago, LeG said:

I think that's a little bit too strong. It was pure stupidity yes, and what this has probably done is removed Ralphs trust in him. He'll have to build that back up.

But history has shown that once Ralph loses trust in you, it's hard to see a way back - he is very stubborn. I expect him to go.

• Like 2

Yes he was stupid, but to say Alex is only entitled to once chance is ridiculous. Hes young and deserves another chance and soon. Hopefully wins against Burnley and/or WBA will all but confirm our safety and he can be given a chance in league games in the run in

• Like 2

21 hours ago, woodsaint1 said:

Yes he was stupid, but to say Alex is only entitled to once chance is ridiculous. Hes young and deserves another chance and soon. Hopefully wins against Burnley and/or WBA will all but confirm our safety and he can be given a chance in league games in the run in

This.

However, would you want to stay at a club with a manager who only has confidence to play you in 'nothing' games?

I don't think Ralph fancied him before the United game and probably only played him under pressure from above after the Transfer request outing.

I can't see that Jankewitz has a future here.  This may be bollocks and is based on nothing more than conjecture but I think that Ralph has a very strong sense of doing things "correctly." He believes in what I would call an almost "old fashioned" sense of "right and wrong" and wants people to operate to a high code. Team spirit and togetherness are important to him.  

For example compare his treatment of Cedric and Long . Cedric played infrequently for Ralph and left the club not long after after his arrival whilst Long's contract was extended.  Long is generally considered to be "good for the dressing room". Cedric was not - having , for example , shortly before Ralph's arrival left the ground once at half time after being substituted in a game. Long's "song" was played on the tannoy at SMS before matches.  Cedric apparently played on his phone when in the treatment room rather than talk to other teammates having treatment.  Long fitted Ralph's ethos - Cedric did not so Long was retained whilst Cedric was initially replaced by a rookie and then left the club 

For example  last year there was a very nasty story circulating on Twitter about Valery. I won't go into details but if any of it was true, it cast Valery in a very bad light - and would not please anyone with a high moral code and sense of "right and wrong".  Since then Valery has rarely played for us and Ralph has been quite happy to ship him out of the club - even though we had no replacement.

As I said this may all be bollocks but  I would suspect that Jankewitz has upset Ralph's ethos  - firstly by asking for a transfer at such an early stage in his career and then by his performance at Old Trafford. If so, he has no future under Ralph and I would expect to see him leave the club at the end of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Tamesaint said:

I can't see that Jankewitz has a future here.  This may be bollocks and is based on nothing more than conjecture but I think that Ralph has a very strong sense of doing things "correctly." He believes in what I would call an almost "old fashioned" sense of "right and wrong" and wants people to operate to a high code. Team spirit and togetherness are important to him.  

For example compare his treatment of Cedric and Long . Cedric played infrequently for Ralph and left the club not long after after his arrival whilst Long's contract was extended.  Long is generally considered to be "good for the dressing room". Cedric was not - having , for example , shortly before Ralph's arrival left the ground once at half time after being substituted in a game. Long's "song" was played on the tannoy at SMS before matches.  Cedric apparently played on his phone when in the treatment room rather than talk to other teammates having treatment.  Long fitted Ralph's ethos - Cedric did not so Long was retained whilst Cedric was initially replaced by a rookie and then left the club 

For example  last year there was a very nasty story circulating on Twitter about Valery. I won't go into details but if any of it was true, it cast Valery in a very bad light - and would not please anyone with a high moral code and sense of "right and wrong".  Since then Valery has rarely played for us and Ralph has been quite happy to ship him out of the club - even though we had no replacement.

As I said this may all be bollocks but  I would suspect that Jankewitz has upset Ralph's ethos  - firstly by asking for a transfer at such an early stage in his career and then by his performance at Old Trafford. If so, he has no future under Ralph and I would expect to see him leave the club at the end of the season.

Same with Hoedt wasn’t it? He claims he came back for preseason in the shape of his life, Ralph commented that now he’d get a chance, Hoedt claims he replied you never gave me one in the first place, Next thing is he’s out the door

its quite admirable to have these old school ethics but Ralph does seem to only give players one chance, maybe for senior players having the Cedric type attitude is right to be stamped out but young kids will make mistakes. But like Slattery, can’t get near the first team these days despite training all summer 2019 at golden ring to come back in the shape of his life, it’s all a bit strange 

10 hours ago, Tamesaint said:

Ralph is similar to Ronald in this respect if the stories are to be believed. Interestingly, I don’t think Valery has even been on the bench since Bowyer took charge at Birmingham. Could be he has an injury but haven’t read about it. He started initially for Karanka but dropped to the bench and now not even in the squad fighting the drop in the division below.

The academy has still produced talented players in recent years - not the JWP/Shaw crop certainly, but Hesketh, Slattery, Sims, Vokins and Valery could all have done much better than they have. Smallbone sadly got injured when starting to improve. There is the likes of N’dundlu but I don’t think he’s anywhere near PL/Champ standards. Mitchell came in with much fanfare and MU etc chasing him but looks like another flop. Can’t blame Ralph for that, Crocker is going to have to rebuild and get rid of Reed’s staff. Facilities are there but will take a few years to regenerate and don’t have an owner who can help RH with buying younger first team competing players as well as first team starters to bridge the gap. 

1 hour ago, saint1977 said:

Ralph is similar to Ronald in this respect if the stories are to be believed. Interestingly, I don’t think Valery has even been on the bench since Bowyer took charge at Birmingham. Could be he has an injury but haven’t read about it. He started initially for Karanka but dropped to the bench and now not even in the squad fighting the drop in the division below.

The academy has still produced talented players in recent years - not the JWP/Shaw crop certainly, but Hesketh, Slattery, Sims, Vokins and Valery could all have done much better than they have. Smallbone sadly got injured when starting to improve. There is the likes of N’dundlu but I don’t think he’s anywhere near PL/Champ standards. Mitchell came in with much fanfare and MU etc chasing him but looks like another flop. Can’t blame Ralph for that, Crocker is going to have to rebuild and get rid of Reed’s staff. Facilities are there but will take a few years to regenerate and don’t have an owner who can help RH with buying younger first team competing players as well as first team starters to bridge the gap. 

The only players in recent history that have looked like they've had anything about them are: Sims, Reed, Slattery & Tella and to an extent Vokins.

Hesketh has always looked about 2 stone underweight.

The best at this moment is Tella.

I liked Jake Flannigan aswell but he got too many bad injuries.