Jankewitz hands in transfer request

Saint Garrett

1 minute ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ward-Prowse, Diallo and Romeu have all been performing to such a high level where they shouldn't be dropped. Jankewitz is only 19 years old, he can't expect to jump the pecking order already. If he stays his time will come.

I don’t think there is anything wrong with believing in himself. Last season Smallbone was in front of him (rightly or wrongly) and then the club brought in Diallo. Probably doesn’t see a path to starting regularly for the club, and wants to play. Whether that’s now or in 2 years time, if JWP and Diallo are here, it’s unlikely he’ll play. 

As said on the Watts thread, he's the only one of the kids who looked to have genuine class about him. His close control and passing looked good - can we not convert him to an attacking midfielder and fast track him to be real competition for Armstrong et al? We've been crying out for a central creative presence in attack for yonks.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

I don’t think there is anything wrong with believing in himself. Last season Smallbone was in front of him (rightly or wrongly) and then the club brought in Diallo. Probably doesn’t see a path to starting regularly for the club, and wants to play. Whether that’s now or in 2 years time, if JWP and Diallo are here, it’s unlikely he’ll play. 

In two years time he'll be only 21 years old. That is very young to expect to be a regular in a mid table Premier League team. He could overtake Romeu to be 3rd choice by then, which is no mean feat at such a young age.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Ward-Prowse, Diallo and Romeu have all been performing to such a high level where they shouldn't be dropped. Jankewitz is only 19 years old, he can't expect to jump the pecking order already. If he stays his time will come.

My guess is that diallo’s arrival is exactly what has put his nose out of joint.

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

In two years time he'll be only 21 years old. That is very young to expect to be a regular in a mid table Premier League team. He could overtake Romeu to be 3rd choice by then, which is no mean feat at such a young age.

By the sounds of the article he just wants to play football, so being 3rd choice won't cut it for him.

5 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Yeah, but it sounds like he doesn’t want to wait 2 years to maybe get a part on the bench. His choice. 

At this age it is vital for him personally to be able to demonstrate his ability, if he cannot then he will not have a future and the valuable window of development will be lost. If any of you thought your career was being blocked by the company brining in other people you would sensibly look elsewhere. Maybe he has seen the many hopefuls get to a certain point and their professional careers wilt away and he has decide to take a different approach. Maybe its a chance, maybe he is better off staying, but I cant fault the guy for wanting to try.

11 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Yeah, but it sounds like he doesn’t want to wait 2 years to maybe get a part on the bench. His choice. 

Then he does not need a transfer... he could have a loan. 

In any case 3rd choice central midfielder does not equal a 'bit part'. You'd still get a lot of gametime.

Edited by Matthew Le God

17 minutes ago, The Cat said:

By the sounds of the article he just wants to play football, so being 3rd choice won't cut it for him.

Then he could go out on loan if he is that desperate. But he is only 19 years old so why the rush. If he was 23 and not getting games then he'd be right to look for a transfer. 

Edited by Matthew Le God

The reaction in this thread already, mainly from MLG, really does highlight how weird it is seeing fully grown adults who neither know the player or what the club/manager is thinking tell them both what they should be doing. Very bizarre behaviour really and yes, I'm probably just as guilty of doing it myself but I read this story and have a real urge to just let both parties sort it out rather than spout opinions about how he should have played last week or should be going out on loan and shouldn't worry about not getting games for another 4 years (Which is an utterly nonsense opinion by the way, 19 year olds should want to play).

15 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Then he could go out on loan if he is that desperate. But he is only 19 years old so why the rush. If he was 23 and not getting games then he'd be right to look for a transfer. 

We have moved away from the loan system rarely loaning out young players and they don’t come back successful for us. 

it feels like ages since I’ve heard any player hand in a transfer request to leave- usually players just down tools.

Anyways, if he wants to go and we can’t convince him otherwise to stay then no problem, life goes on. Sounds like someone too big for his boots but I don’t know his side of the story to get why he feels he deserves to start already- certainly don’t want him holding Ralph ransom

17 minutes ago, Pilchards said:

What other clubs give the youth a chance like us?

He comes across as a twat if he thinks he's going to walk into any other premiership team this season and play regular football.

He hasn't said he wants to walk into another "Premiership" (whatever that is) team. He said he wants to play football. Maybe he'll move to Belgium, France, Netherlands or somewhere to do that. 

11 minutes ago, nta786 said:

it feels like ages since I’ve heard any player hand in a transfer request to leave- usually players just down tools.

Anyways, if he wants to go and we can’t convince him otherwise to stay then no problem, life goes on. Sounds like someone too big for his boots but I don’t know his side of the story to get why he feels he deserves to start already- certainly don’t want him holding Ralph ransom

From the article, he has been offered assurances he would get chances which other than 15 minutes in the cup he hasn't had. 

If you'd been told you'd get a chance and hadn't you'd probably be a bit miffed and would look elsewhere for it.

There's nothing weird going on here. In fairness we should be praising him for wanting to play first team football and furthering his career.

• Like 3

If it's only FC Groningen that want him then we're not going to get more than say 500k for him are we?! If he's really that good, lets see what Bayern Munich might offer.

Just loan him out to the Netherlands to play (whilst chucking him a new contract) and he can come back and get into the team. Surprised he didnt play rather than say Watts, but maybe Watts has shown a great attitude and hasnt got his agents to moan at (and likely, annoy) the club.  

32 minutes ago, Turkish said:

We have moved away from the loan system rarely loaning out young players and they don’t come back successful for us. 

Read the first sentence in the context of those that follow it. I know you don't normally read my posts in the context they are written and twist things to your agenda of claiming I'm wrong, but give context a try this time! 😉😇

3 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Read the first sentence in the context of those that follow it. I know you don't normally read my posts in the context they are written and twist things to your agenda of claiming I'm wrong, but give context a try this time! 😉😇

You said he could go out on loan if he’s desperate. Our club policy is not to loan out players. So that makes you 

75F532A8-A876-47B2-BE0A-2BCA51CC54CB.jpeg

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Forget those 3, Chauke and Smallbone have been above him this season. Smallbone is perhaps understandable, but seeing Chauke jump above him must be frustrating. Jankewitz looked excellent a long time ago, and he looked decent in his Shrewsbury cameo. 

Assuming he's been fit to be around the first team, I can understand him being pissed off. 

I've been, somewhat annoyingly perhaps, banging the Jankewitz drum last season and this season and touted him as a natural Hojbjerg replacement rather than going out looking for a replacement in the market place. (My 'fear' being that we should see Hojbjerg's departure as an opportunity to promote from within rather than blocking the path of someone of Jankewitz's calibre).

Despite Ralph labelling Jankewitz as "the next big thing" from the academy towards the end of last season, it often baffled me why we hardly ever (never?) saw him on the bench this season up until the Shrewsbury game.

Obviously we went for an external Hojbjerg replacement in the end, and Diallo looks like the bee's knees, but it's totally understandable why Jankewitz would be hacked off. It has seemed a bit one-step-forwards, two-steps-back for him so far this season.

Anyway, I would view the transfer request as a positive - I'd rather have eager and disappointed younger players than those that just coast along with the flow. Hopefully Ralph sees his frustration as a positive too, rather than potentially ostracizing him...

Edited by trousers

Reports on the BBC gossip column a few weeks ago said a couple of clubs were interested (Real Betis from recollection). 
Clearly wants a chance somewhere but he is 4th choice for CM at best. 
Shame we didn’t progress in the League Cup as that might have given him some opportunities.

Out of interest at what age do we think a young prospect should be breaking into the team ?

I think many of our better ones have been on the fringes on the squad at 19 or thereabouts. I was surprised to read that N’Lundulu is 21 as he’s been talked about for a couple of years. 

32 minutes ago, trousers said:

When does his contract expire BTW? Can't have more than 2 years left I'd have thought?

June 2022, so less than 18 months

Hmm, has all the hallmarks of ending in tears this one...

Edited by trousers

Just now, trousers said:

I'm from the "if they're good enough, they're old enough" school of thought.

Has to be the policy. We had Shaw, Chambers and Ward Prowse playing in the Premier League at very young ages. 

Someone like N'Lundulu is the same age as Diallo so it's not like he can be seen as a young prospect anymore. I know players develop at different ages but if someone is extremely good they'll surely be playing reasonably regularly by 19. 

I've often watched u23 games when shown and I can't say he's a player who has ever really stood out for me, but it's tough at that level without many fixtures at times and starting line up rarely consistent. 

Seems like the best compromise here is to give him a loan move somewhere that will actually play him and hope he does enough to impress. Perhaps he's just missing all our other u23s who are either playing for Gillingham or on Saints first team bench, poor lad has been a bit lonely. 

36 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

You can see this one played out. 
we sell him for 2m and he goes on to play for Barca or Real...... or Everton 

we look stupid. 

Just like  when Rupert turned down Drogba

Or you may never hear of him again. Ralph must have doubts or he’d be further up the pecking order. Re Drogba, wasn’t he taken on trial as a centre back?

Switzerland u21s played France u21s in November. Jankewitz might well have felt a bit miffed to have played in that game - while Diallo didn't get off the bench - only to return to Saints and watch Diallo shine in the first team while he kicked his heels in the B team.

Not saying both players are at the same level (Diallo's two years older; France u21s are a stronger team), but you could understand Jankewitz thinking he wasn't a million miles behind - only to find out the manager has Smallbone, Watts and Chauke ahead of him too.

Throw in some rumours that Real Betis are interested, and it's not a huge surprise that he's considering his future.

I doubt when we allegedly persuaded him to turn down Man United, Spurs and Juventus to join us, the deal breaker was the promise of drifting for three years in the B team before a loan to a league one side until his contract runs out.

It seems like he's got a bit about him and isn't prepared to let his development stagnate any further at a club that talks up its reputation for bringing on youth players; but in practice is something that has sadly become a bit of a myth in recent years.

Edited by qwertyell
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Or you may never hear of him again. Ralph must have doubts or he’d be further up the pecking order. Re Drogba, wasn’t he taken on trial as a centre back?

no, dont think so, Rupes didn't like his arrogance apparently, the irony of that.

Football player wants to play actual competitive football and not play for a B team. I thought that these are the players we should like. Sitting on the bench occasionally whilst the club boost the ‘academy’ players who’ve ‘made it’ to the first team numbers is hardly what any football player should want.

It’s rubbish if a true talent wants to move on but if he isn’t playing for us, it’s better for his career to be playing competitive football somewhere.

Makes a nice change in a way from those who aren’t going to make it as a Premier League player staying because they’ve got a decent salary. 

17 minutes ago, Noodles34 said:

no, dont think so, Rupes didn't like his arrogance apparently, the irony of that.

That was Adebeyor. Lowe met him but pulled the plug on the deal as didn’t like his attitude. For Drogba we could have got him for £3m before he joined Marseille. Lowe said he was too similar to Beattie so refused to sanction the deal. 

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

That was Adebeyor. Lowe met him but pulled the plug on the deal as didn’t like his attitude. For Drogba we could have got him for £3m before he joined Marseille. Lowe said he was too similar to Beattie so refused to sanction the deal. 

To be fair, they were quite similar footballers, power forwards.  Drogba had a bit more in the locker though.

Think you'll start to see more of this. The Academy system really doesn't work for so many talented young players. These kids should be playing competitive senior football at 18 or so, not languishing in some u23/reserve team playing occasional games in a non competitive league looking for an occasional scrap to fall from the table and be given a 5 minute run out in the 1st team. They don't get the chance in the PL. I see the same thing is happening with a Polish kid at Man U. They are looking to go back home, not because they are home si k but because they want to play proper football. So often now a kid really doesn't start their career properly until they are about 23, 4 or 5 years wasted. Meanwhile the Club (I don't mean us in particular) buys in talent of the same age and they go straight into the 1st team. 

• Like 2

I don't think anybody's neccessarily wrong with this one.

He rightly wants to start playing regular football (19 isn't that young an age to start doing that.)

But with JWP, Diallo & Romeu, that pathway is blocked. Unfortunately for him we have some great depth at Central Midfield.

I don't see why we can't loan him first though?

• Like 3