Jankewitz hands in transfer request

Saint Garrett

Some of the reactions towards Jankewitz are ridiculous by our fans.

Yes, what he did was pure stupidity. He will not sleep tonight I'm sure. It will be something he never forgets.

But calling a young lad a 'cunt'  and telling him the club to rip up his contract - bit over the top, no?

Keyboard warriors.

• Like 10

What a shame as by the time he'll be available again his opportunity will have past. His big moment and he blew it immedietely. I do sympathise with him unless it was some kind of F U tackle towards the club for not letting him go.

Edited by Disco Stu

31 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Yes, what he did was pure stupidity. He will not sleep tonight I'm sure. It will be something he never forgets.

But calling a young lad a 'cunt'  and telling him the club to rip up his contract - bit over the top, no?

Keyboard warriors.

It's quite funny to read the over the top knee jerk reactions though. Excellent comedy value. Keep it up folks 

• Like 1

Just now, kwsaint said:

My first thought when I saw the tackle was that it reminded me of Oscar Gobern at Bournemouth in 2011.  No malicious intent, just complete disconnect between brain and foot

Yes I thought exactly the same thing. Doubt there was any malice. He probably wanted to try really hard, like Gobern did, and got it completely wrong.

Well he certainly won’t forget his debut!

you lot need to get a grip. Yes he fucked up, he’s a 17 year old kid making his debut. He knows he fucked up, the manager does and the team does. He wanted to play and showed why he isn’t. There is a very good player in there but he’s a kid, yet you lot want to destroy him. Pathetic.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Well he certainly won’t forget his debut!

you lot need to get a grip. Yes he fucked up, he’s a 17 year old kid making his debut. He knows he fucked up, the manager does and the team does. He wanted to play and showed why he isn’t. There is a very good player in there but he’s a kid, yet you lot want to destroy him. Pathetic.

He's 17?

Bloody hell - incredibly stupid mistake by the lad but really?  It is not like we had a bunch of kids out there tonight.   The senior pros needed to step up to the plate and just like Leicester went MIA.

Yes the ref and VAR were appalling but some of the defending was disgusting.  Add in the 'messiah' Ings who has been as poor as the rest since his last injury and yet the young lad cops a ton of abuse.

Ralph has to take some of the blame - we have been powder puff for 9 or 10 games now yet our tactics never change.  Other teams have worked out to play us and we don;t seem to possess a PLan B

6 minutes ago, aintforever said:

The cunt didn’t want to be at the club before tonight’s horror show

He wanted first team football. He wasn't getting it at Saints, ergo, leaving would be  a logical path to take. Perhaps we should be applauding his ambition and desire rather than getting parochial about it...?

42 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Alex made a silly error of judgement tonight thats all, he will know this. Hes a huge talent.

Absolutely this.  The "did it on purpose' and personal abuse merchants are way out of order.   If it had been a 28yo experienced player rather than a 19yo, there would be some grounds for being unforgiving.   He would have been fired up, nervous and keen to make an impression.......just happened to be a reckless, brain fade impression!     I hope he stays at the Club; learns a painful lesson and gets the chance for redemption.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

He wanted first team football. He wasn't getting it at Saints, ergo, leaving would be  a logical path to take. Perhaps we should be applauding his ambition and desire rather than getting parochial about it...?

I expect aintclever is one of those who thinks he did it on purpose to spite the club 😂😂😂😂😂

That is a career dissipation moment 79 seconds into your full debut and you are getting first dibs on all the hot water in the showers. He may well be 19 and was a bit over eager but most of these lads have been at this game since they were 8, they have seen mates fall away as they carried on, they know the rules of the game, most of them know to be smart. Given this lads antics, even if it was the agents doing, this week, there will be clubs who might have been interested. After tonights showing now going, hmmmmmmm. Football is a nasty business, although the lad hasn't murdered anyone, with the transfer request and a sending off at 19 he now has a "criminal record" in the eyes of prospective employers, "is he worth the risk?". They will likely turn to the next name on the list as they are less of a risk.

The lad has to now knuckle down and hope he can get another chance, if he has attitude and no remorse, Saints will likely grant him his wish and send him on his way. The Golden ticket of possibly 2-3 games whilst others ahead of him are injured, he has flushed that down the toilet. Its a long way back to the top table when you err as a nipper in football. 

• Like 1

Really feel for the lad - he’ll never forget this, a weak mind would also probably never recover from it, but hopefully he’s got the mental strength for it. I often think about the careers of the youngsters who came through under Poortvleit, and if they’d have had better careers under different circumstances. Whilst this is completely of own doing, it’s the sort of thing that can completely divert career trajectory. Tonight was all set up for him to establish himself on the big stage away to a title challenger, dominate his opposite number live on TV and become an overnight star, with plenty more game time being available short term to show he should really be competing for a starting place. He established himself alright, but in the worst way possible - will he ever play for us again? He won’t be back before the injured CM’s are, and maybe the club will let him go in the summer as per his request. Without wanting to be overdramatic, his whole career path could have just changed on the back of 5 seconds of madness tonight. I hope when the anger of most passes in the morning, they’ll take a softer view on the kid, as the abuse i’ve seen so far is horrendous and more befitting a bigger club full of global twitter fans, and it’s not nice to see at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Really feel for the lad - he’ll never forget this, a weak mind would also probably never recover from it, but hopefully he’s got the mental strength for it. I often think about the careers of the youngsters who came through under Poortvleit, and if they’d have had better careers under different circumstances. Whilst this is completely of own doing, it’s the sort of thing that can completely divert career trajectory. Tonight was all set up for him to establish himself on the big stage away to a title challenger, dominate his opposite number live on TV and become an overnight star, with plenty more game time being available short term to show he should really be competing for a starting place. He established himself alright, but in the worst way possible - will he ever play for us again? He won’t be back before the injured CM’s are, and maybe the club will let him go in the summer as per his request. Without wanting to be overdramatic, his whole career path could have just changed on the back of 5 seconds of madness tonight. I hope when the anger of most passes in the morning, they’ll take a softer view on the kid, as the abuse i’ve seen so far is horrendous and more befitting a bigger club full of global twitter fans, and it’s not nice to see at all.

Well said. 

5 hours ago, saintwbu said:

The likes of Lallana, Schneiderlin, Cork and McGoldrick seemed to have gone on to do alright. Obviously last night was stupid, reckless etc. but I can't fault him for wanting to play games. I think more players would benefit from regular football at a younger age. Hopefully he'll learn from this as he appears to be highly rated. 

Just now, LeG said:

Anyone think he did that on purpose? It certainly looks like it. Messed up situation. 

Probably yeah, i mean the best way for a young player to put themselves in the shop window is to get deliberately sent off for a very dangerous tackle in the first minute of their debut. They'll be knocking his door down wont they. Jesus wept.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure if its true or been mentioned already on this thread but I read last night that this lad in his last 7 outings for the U23's has been booked 5 times and sent off twice? if that is true, I would say that last night should be no surprise and whilst it will be tough on the lad, if this is his style, then maybe it is best that we part ways. Frustratingly, I think that there is possibly a talented footballer in there and if we can get him in the right place and his recklessness can be managed out of his style, he will be alright for us.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Green said:

The likes of Lallana, Schneiderlin, Cork and McGoldrick seemed to have gone on to do alright. Obviously last night was stupid, reckless etc. but I can't fault him for wanting to play games. I think more players would benefit from regular football at a younger age. Hopefully he'll learn from this as he appears to be highly rated. 

McGoldrick was a player I was thinking of actually, and more referring to the likes of Lloyd James, Simon Gillett, Matt Patterson etc - I wonder if they’d have made it to the top level had they been brought through in better circumstances, McGoldrick is finally there at 33. I don’t fault him for wanting to play either, there’s been a wave of youngsters giving up Premier League football to go abroad and get games earlier (Sancho being one of the first) which I think is great, I more just mean that all of that then leading to last night just adds to the reaction from our fans so I hope he can take it and grow from it.

44 minutes ago, LeG said:

Anyone think he did that on purpose? It certainly looks like it. Messed up situation. 

No. 

In 2009 a young Saints player called Paterson was thrown in against Man Utd and got sent off in the first half for a dangerous tackle on Vidic. Man Utd went on to win 3 nil. Two of the goals were contentious, a penalty for handball that replays showed wasn’t handball and an offside that wasn’t given. The referee was another Mike, Mike Riley.

Paterson’s sending off was a rush of blood to the head of a young player out of his depth. Same with Jankewitz. More so with Jankewitz. The transfer request, which probably went down badly with the club, put him under pressure even before he stepped out at OT. He had to step up and prove he was worth a place. He couldn’t because he isn’t ready. I think RH knew that which is why he put others in ahead of him.

Paterson slipped down the leagues and now plays non league football. I just hope Jankewitz has the talent and temperament to turn this around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graffito said:

No. 

In 2009 a young Saints player called Paterson was thrown in against Man Utd and got sent off in the first half for a dangerous tackle on Vidic. Man Utd went on to win 3 nil. Two of the goals were contentious, a penalty for handball that replays showed wasn’t handball and an offside that wasn’t given. The referee was another Mike, Mike Riley.

Paterson’s sending off was a rush of blood to the head of a young player out of his depth. Same with Jankewitz. More so with Jankewitz. The transfer request, which probably went down badly with the club, put him under pressure even before he stepped out at OT. He had to step up and prove he was worth a place. He couldn’t because he isn’t ready. I think RH knew that which is why he put others in ahead of him.

Paterson slipped down the leagues and now plays non league football. I just hope Jankewitz has the talent and temperament to turn this around.

To be brutally honest I don’t care about Jankewitz or his future. I only want what’s best for Saints.

13 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Keyboard warriors.

I think the timing of his very stupid transfer request has something to do with it, but you are quite right to condemn the idiots. For me apart from the usual culprits some blame for last night's debacle should be laid at Katarina's door. She did assure us that Gao was the man to take us forward when she sold 80% her shares. I know things in China have changed etc etc but with his background he never looked the sort of owner to have any altruism about him.

• Like 1

Jesus, put the tin foil hats away fellas, highly doubt that any betting syndicates are involved, just a kid making is debut at OT and adrenaline/nerves got the better of him. Not a good look after a transfer request and comments from his agent but these things can happen in a moment. 

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

I think the timing of his very stupid transfer request has something to do with it, but you are quite right to condemn the idiots. For me apart from the usual culprits some blame for last night's debacle should be laid at Katarina's door. She did assure us that Gao was the man to take us forward when she sold 80% her shares. I know things in China have changed etc etc but with his background he never looked the sort of owner to have any altruism about him.

She's well and truly in the 'shit owner' category for me as well. I find that hard because of what the family have done for us, but her involvement in recent years has been really poor. She couldn't wait to get out.

Maybe I was naïve, but I didn't imagine KL selling us up the river to a dodgy owner. I thought she'd ensure we were in good hands.

How wrong I was.  A lot of blame should be at her door.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dig Dig said:

Jesus, put the tin foil hats away fellas, highly doubt that any betting syndicates are involved, just a kid making is debut at OT and adrenaline/nerves got the better of him. Not a good look after a transfer request and comments from his agent but these things can happen in a moment. 

Yes, it’s unlikely but you would be amazed at what goes in with this behind the scenes betting. Jason Dodd once scored a screamer at The Dell and all his teammates celebrated wildly with him. They all had him down to score the first goal.

Usually it’s something a lot less serious than a sending off though. George Best once went through a whole game only using his left foot and even scored a goal with it after a promise to a friend.

7 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

How is it Kat's fault that we had 9 injuries and some idiot deemed it a good idea to loan out our fringe players leaving us with a scratch team and some kids? Gao can't be blamed for that either. Our squad this season was decent but injury and poor decision making scuppered that.