Jankewitz hands in transfer request

Saint Garrett

7 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Seriously cannot understand why Jankewitz is not being used.

He's marked his card I think. Ralph doesn't often go back to players he's clearly discarded. He'll be going, just hope we get a decent fee so we can improve the catering facilities.

14 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He's marked his card I think. Ralph doesn't often go back to players he's clearly discarded. He'll be going, just hope we get a decent fee so we can improve the catering facilities.

Thanks for posting, Rupert ;) 

Just now, Disco Stu said:

He was given a start against Manchester United ffs. There's obviously something about him.

Ralph seriously needs to be asked about this as its baffling as to why he's not getting a look in when Diallo is not in the greatest of form atm.

2 minutes ago, aintforever said:

Yeah, so apart for causing the worst defeat in our history, what exactly has he done to warrant a start?

He didn't cause that result. When any other team goes down to 10 men, they don't capitulate and concede 9 goals 🤣

Truth is we haven't seen what he's about but we know that there's enough about him to be starting a game such as that.

Edited by Disco Stu

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He didn't cause that result. When any other team goes down to 10 men, they don't capitulate and concede 9 goals 🤣

Truth is we haven't seen what he's about but we know that there's enough about him to be starting a game such as that.

No the truth is, unless we know the lad and have watched him in training every day we are not really in a position to say the manager is wrong.

1 minute ago, aintforever said:

No the truth is, unless we know the lad and have watched him in training every day we are not really in a position to say the manager is wrong.

Yet he makes the bench every game. When Diallo is in such shocking form, it's logical to play your next best CM.

Edited by Disco Stu
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yet he makes the bench every game. When Diallo is in such shocking form, it's logical to play your next best CM.

Maybe our squad is so shit he is just there to make up the numbers.

I don’t have a problem with him, just don’t get this desperate clamour for him to start when all we have seen so far has been a disaster. I expect he will get a run out once we are safe from relegation.

37 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He was given a start against Manchester United ffs. There's obviously something about him.

Don't disagree - he probably does deserve more minutes, and given the recent performances of Diallo I think he may as well get a start. But weren't both Diallo and Romeu injured for that game? So don't know if that's an indication of him being ready - it was a case of needs must.

Just now, SupersonicSaint said:

Don't disagree - he probably does deserve more minutes, and given the recent performances of Diallo I think he may as well get a start. But weren't both Diallo and Romeu injured for that game? So don't know if that's an indication of him being ready - it was a case of needs must.

My point is it's an indication that's he's supposedly the next best option.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If he's going to be given game time, it will be in CM alongside JWP, with Armstrong back out on the right. Or he'll come on as a late sub for Tella/Armstrong/redmond/walcott etc and they'll juggle the formation to put him in the middle.

The manager and players see him in training everyday, if he's worthy of game time he'll get it. Saints don't have enough squad depth to ignore a suitable ability player 🤷‍♀️ 

On 21/04/2021 at 20:48, Lord Duckhunter said:

The manger who picks Redmond nearly every fucking week? That one. 

Redmond creates more than he loses. Played a part in a few of our better chances against Palace

57 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

If he's going to be given game time, it will be in CM alongside JWP, with Armstrong back out on the right. Or he'll come on as a late sub for Tella/Armstrong/redmond/walcott etc and they'll juggle the formation to put him in the middle.

The manager and players see him in training everyday, if he's worthy of game time he'll get it. Saints don't have enough squad depth to ignore a suitable ability player 🤷‍♀️ 

he got a chance and screwed up. the manager obviously felt him good enough ability wise to start at Old Trafford, mentality wise not mature enough. Now we are safe i'd like to see him be given another go, a couple of games with no real pressure to see what he can do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Turkish said:

he got a chance and screwed up. the manager obviously felt him good enough ability wise to start at Old Trafford, mentality wise not mature enough. Now we are safe i'd like to see him be given another go, a couple of games with no real pressure to see what he can do.

He made one rash challenge. I mean, fall guy for the 9-0 or what? Must be something behind the scenes from him or his agent, or bad blood with Ralph. Would really like to see him given a chance. Maybe he thinks he's too good for us and wants out big time.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DT said:

He made one rash challenge. I mean, fall guy for the 9-0 or what? Must be something behind the scenes from him or his agent, or bad blood with Ralph. Would really like to see him given a chance. Maybe he thinks he's too good for us and wants out big time.

Rash challenge? Rash?

On another day that challenge ends someone's career.

28 minutes ago, JustinSFC said:

Rash challenge? Rash?

On another day that challenge ends someone's career.

'on another day' - ie it was not bad enough to do just that. What kind of logic is that? 

10 minutes ago, DT said:

'on another day' - ie it was not bad enough to do just that. What kind of logic is that? 

The kind of logic that says on another day he might not be so fortunate that he only marks him and doesn't snap his fucking leg.

That was one of the most disgusting challenges I've seen by one of our players since Gobern.

1 minute ago, JustinSFC said:

The kind of logic that says on another day he might not be so fortunate that he only marks him and doesn't snap his fucking leg.

That was one of the most disgusting challenges I've seen by one of our players since Gobern.

So not very logical. Man does not break someone's leg, shock. Oppo player doesn't even go off. Our player spends rest of season out in cold. I never argued it wasn't a bad challenge.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DT said:

So not very logical. Man does not break someone's leg, shock. Oppo player doesn't even go off. Our player spends rest of season out in cold. I never argued it wasn't a bad challenge.

Maybe Ralph thinks the same thing that 'on another day' it might have been much worse and he's trying to prevent that from happening.

Or maybe, he isn't quite as good as some seem to think he is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Ralph has never seemed keen on him, choosing others to start for games such as Shrewsbury.  I'm not convinced the tackle at Old Trafford is the only reason for him not playing since. We were desperate for players on that fateful night and I think Ralph just decided to throw him in because other alternatives (Romeu, Diallo & Smallbone) were all injured.  With hindsight he could have played Armstrong in defensive midfield but at the time he wasn't considered for that position. 

I have absolutely no idea whether Ralph just doesn't see a potential Premiership player or there is some sort of attitude problem, but I still don't think that the infamous tackle is the only reason for his continued omission. I suspect that he will disappear at the end of the season to another club (Belgium was mentioned in January), I just hope that it doesn't come back to haunt us. He certainly wasn't pulling up any trees in the U-23 team in 2020, so maybe he just isn't good enough. 

30 minutes ago, DT said:

If he was 'out in the cold' they wouldn't have put him on the bench numerous times since the Man Utd game like they did. 

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

Ralph has never seemed keen on him, choosing others to start for games such as Shrewsbury.  I'm not convinced the tackle at Old Trafford is the only reason for him not playing since. We were desperate for players on that fateful night and I think Ralph just decided to throw him in because other alternatives (Romeu, Diallo & Smallbone) were all injured.  With hindsight he could have played Armstrong in defensive midfield but at the time he wasn't considered for that position. 

I have absolutely no idea whether Ralph just doesn't see a potential Premiership player or there is some sort of attitude problem, but I still don't think that the infamous tackle is the only reason for his continued omission. I suspect that he will disappear at the end of the season to another club (Belgium was mentioned in January), I just hope that it doesn't come back to haunt us. He certainly wasn't pulling up any trees in the U-23 team in 2020, so maybe he just isn't good enough. 

You’re right about that actually. When he came on against Shrewsbury he did more in his 10 minutes or so than some who started the game. Looked to have a bit about him. It is a bit strange that he’s so highly rated but not had a look in.

1 hour ago, WALK DMC said:

I suspect that he will disappear at the end of the season to another club (Belgium was mentioned in January), I just hope that it doesn't come back to haunt us. He certainly wasn't pulling up any trees in the U-23 team in 2020, so maybe he just isn't good enough. 

The next Tim Sparv, then. We can check back here in ten years' time to review our clairvoyant abilities when he helps his team knock us out of the qualifying round to the Europa Conference.

38 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Ralph’s comments are a bit bizarre really. 

I don't think he really said anything?

He knows he made a mistake against united, Ralph believes he can one day play at a very high level. Hard to get into the team due to Diallo, and Armstrong adapting well to that role - and with Romeu around usually etc. Needs to take his chance when it comes.

Not sure what's bizarre in any of those comments really.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

That game at old Trafford was the low point for squad depth - we fielded 11 "first team" players from the entire 18man squad, two of those being keepers, and only 8 (being generous) being players you'd expect to get any real game time normally. 

So whilst I don't disagree that it would be nice to see him have a run. This is a player who for most of the fans has purely been built up on here, who was clearly a long way down the pecking order prior even to his league debut, and who the manager sees daily and has yet to think is good enough.

Given our finances and necessary squad rebuild, I'd rather we try to bank a few million pounds (through league finish), than drop positions due to the manager testing a player he doesn't think is ready - as frustrating as that may be for us fans 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I don't think he really said anything?

He knows he made a mistake against united, Ralph believes he can one day play at a very high level. Hard to get into the team due to Diallo, and Armstrong adapting well to that role - and with Romeu around usually etc. Needs to take his chance when it comes.

Not sure what's bizarre in any of those comments really.

Except diallo has played poorly and been dropped, Romeu is injured, you’ve moved your best 10 there weakening the wing. Played a cb there instead too. So when exactly will this chance be, when some freak accident wipes out the whole squad. If he truly rates him highly his current use of him is bizarre.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Except diallo has played poorly and been dropped, Romeu is injured, you’ve moved your best 10 there weakening the wing. Played a cb there instead too. So when exactly will this chance be, when some freak accident wipes out the whole squad. If he truly rates him highly his current use of him is bizarre.

Suspect the answer lies within this comment. And if if he rates him, clearly doesn't feel he can rely on him.

16 minutes ago, Badger said:

Suspect the answer lies within this comment. And if if he rates him, clearly doesn't feel he can rely on him.

Nope and had ideal opportunity in FA Cup at Bournemouth give him 10 minutes at end but didn’t said a lot really he doesn’t rate or trust him. 

I am as confused as you all after Ralph's comments. On the one hand, he says we know we have a talented player and I will give him a chance, but he also says we want to get as many points on the board as we can with our strongest team. And he clearly doesn't see Janko as part of the strongest team.

It's now or never, Ralph. We have 3 games left. Give him a chance. If not, he'll be putting in another transfer request and the fans will support it. 

51 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

I am as confused as you all after Ralph's comments. On the one hand, he says we know we have a talented player and I will give him a chance, but he also says we want to get as many points on the board as we can with our strongest team. And he clearly doesn't see Janko as part of the strongest team.

It's now or never, Ralph. We have 3 games left. Give him a chance. If not, he'll be putting in another transfer request and the fans will support it. 

Need more than that to succeed at this level...maybe he isn't putting in the effort at training? Maybe he didn't buy Ralph a Birthday cake...who knows.

Edited by skintsaint

18 hours ago, JustinSFC said:

Maybe Ralph thinks the same thing that 'on another day' it might have been much worse and he's trying to prevent that from happening.

Or maybe, he isn't quite as good as some seem to think he is.

Maybe we should try him and see

Seems a clear cut situation to me.

- Manager has a talented rookie who he thinks has potential but is a way off being near the level of the existing first team players

- Jankewitz, despite never really putting together a consistent run of top performances in the U23s thinks he deserves some first team minutes, isn't getting any. Has interest from a mid level Eredivisie team (was it Groningen?) and gets a bit sulky. 

- Relationship with club and Manager goes south to the extend of submitting a written transfer request which is rejected.

- In the midst of a massive injury crisis, Jankewitz gets a chance largely as the only remaining option and spectacularly fucks it up, leading to a huge and embarassing defeat for the Manager, tarnishing his reputation with Saints fans and the wider audience.

- Player who wasn't really trusted by the Manager before this, and had been pushing hard to leave, has not been given another minute on the pitch, plus shortly after the injured players returned.

- Manager then says, quite rightly, that the next time the player gets a chance he needs to take it but that he isnt on the same level as those playing.

- At the same time and in the context of Crocker's recent comments about the attitude of some players in the Academy, this sends the message that the club decides when and how you progress, not any single player.

Likely outcome: Player leaves this summer as he only has a year left anyway and it doesnt seem to be a happy situation, both before the Utd game and even worse afterwards.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 5