Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Feel gutted for Ralph, you can see how much this means to him and how much it hurts. It's not entirely his fault. He has to take some responsibility as ultimately he's the manager, and how we always absolutely capitulate after going down to 10 men is a great concern (we also struggle to break teams down when they go down to 10) but he's dealing with a threadbare squad and some woeful woeful refereeing decisions in recent weeks.

He's turned it around before, he'll do it again. Seeing how sad he was during the interviews made me want to give him a hug. He loves this club and he's hurting like we are. 

We're behind you Ralph.

Edited by niceandfriendly
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

This is not down to the owner or the manager. This is a freak result due to the rules being an ass.

Losing 9-0 to Leicester was a freak result.

Losing 9-0 again within 18 months is symptomatic of a club with some serious, deep set issues. 

Lots of teams end up playing for prolonged periods with 10 men. None of them completely implode and lose 9-0. TWICE.

Everyone needs to take a hard look at themselves. The manager being unable or unwilling to adapt his tactical approach to the unexpected challenges a game throws up has been a consistent theme of Hasenhuttl's tenure. Normally, it's merely a frustrating trend as the team robotically sleepwalks to a draw or narrow defeat without ever threatening to change course. But twice now it's led to a humiliating disaster.

Yes, it's not easy to play with one man less. But every side other than us seems able to find a way to hunker down, keep the wheels on as best they can, and try and get away from the game with some dignity intact. Some even sneak a result. We couldn't even muster a shot against Arsenal's 10 men. Do you think the same would've happened if the roles had been reversed.

I forget who it was against - maybe Fulham (0-0) - where the manager said afterwards that he was happy with the point because if we'd conceded first we would have no chance to come back. No chance! Game over! That set the alarm bells ringing for me. Are our tactics so rigid and dependant on everything playing out predictably that we've basically got "no chance" if the match situation requires a rethink?

It's a mad result. Twice. Under the same manager. Same regime. Same squad. Same coaches. Players coming through the same system.

Something is seriously wrong beneath the surface of this club.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

Losing 9-0 again within 18 months is symptomatic of a club with some serious, deep set issues. 

I couldn't disagree with you more. We got to 29 points in record time due to the club ethos.

Didn't expect to get points from this. Match should have been 6-1 in my eyes.

the score should have an asterisk against it in future years. 

* 2020/21: FA came up with dodgy rules and Mike Dean was still a thing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nolan said:

I couldn't disagree with you more. We got to 29 points in record time due to the club ethos.

Didn't expect to get points from this. Match should have been 6-1 in my eyes.

the score should have an asterisk against it in future years. 

* 2020/21: FA came up with dodgy rules and Mike Dean was still a cunt.

5 hours ago, saintwbu said:

Positives:

Maybe clubs will be put off Ralph

Maybe clubs will be put off Ings

Its happened before so it doesn’t feel anywhere near as bad as it could do

We won’t have to hear about the Leicester game much anymore...

On the contrary, you'll hear about the Leicester game twice as often - every time we play Leicester and Man Utd 😭

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, niceandfriendly said:

Feel gutted for Ralph, you can see how much this means to him and how much it hurts. It's not his fault. Sure he has to take some responsibility as ultimately he's the manager, and how we always absolutely capitulate after going down to 10 men is a great concern (we also struggle to break teams down when they go down to 10) but he's dealing with a threadbare squad and some woeful woeful refereeing decisions in recent weeks.

He's turned it around before, he'll do it again. Seeing how sad he was during the interviews made me want to give him a hug. He loves this club and he's hurting like we are. 

We're behind you Ralph.

I’m behind him, but some of it is his fault. He does make some weird selections, last night as an example , irrelevant though it turned out, playing the headless Djneppo in front of young Ramsey, what a weak right side. Not pulling a striker off when we went to ten. We all knew all season that we only had 12 or thirteen first team players, so his frantic style of football was always going to take a toll, especially with the frequency of games, and the lack of squad rotation. 

• Like 3

Despite what I wrote there's a lot in there that I agree with from qwertyell. And Toussaint you're right too, I've edited my post so it reads "it's not entirely his fault". I'm sure he knows he has to take some of the blame which is why he's hurting so bad. 

We are far, far too weak holding on to leads, and did he really say that after the Fulham game? That we'd have zero chance of coming back from a goal down? I find that really hard to believe, but sadly I am inclined to.

Still behind Ralph.

• Like 1

RH after Leicester "we must ensure this never happens again"

Fast forward we now have the laughable record of two 9-0 defeats under the same manager.

It's not all Ralph's fault but like others have said he doesn't seem to adapt well when a plan B is needed. The high press ethos is very one dimensional.

And yes injuries and horrendous VAR decisions don't help but the team put out was not a 9-0 one 

Commentators and the media won't let this one go that's for sure, they will ensure we are a laughing stock

I find it difficult to not question Ralph after that, of course, I don’t want him to leave and feel if anyone is the man to turn things around then it is he.. but last night was nothing short of capitulation

The sending off, the officiating and the depleted squad certainly did not help but we ended up on the wrong side of a morale sapping mauling and you have to question where the pride and damage limitation was

In the cold light of day, I’ll attempt some rational answers.

Do I blame Ralph? Emphatically no. He might have tweaked the team a bit but basically he put out the best he could. Two Academy players given their big chance. Ramsey made a decent go of it. More on Jankewitz to follow.

Some will blame the owners and lack of investment. Is that realistic? In the current situation there's no money anywhere. Yes, I'd have liked two quality FBs. But with Bertrand and KWP firm first choices we struggled to get loans in as they'd want game time, which we can't guarantee. Buying players to challenge at FB was never happening.

Then who was to blame? I’m putting Jankewitz top of the list. He’s a professional football player who acted in a reckless way and destroyed the team’s confidence and the game plan in one moment. You could see the shock on other players’ faces and he got little sympathy leaving.

Tactics? No. I’m sure Ralph planned to play our usual pressing game, take the game to MU, push our wing backs up and keep theirs pinned back. He never got a chance. We hadn’t even settled into the game when Jankewitz blew it. A key part of our play is the central ball out to the DMs who can then bring the others in. Once a man short there, we couldn’t get out. And we rely on the DMs pressing, harrying and winning balls in midfield. JWP couldn’t do that alone, so Armstrong, Djenepo, Ings and Adams all found themselves forced back. It then became backs to the wall with a lot of chasing of a team with all the time to be patient and make us run. And we were tired. No chance of rotation just 72 hours after the last game. United made four changes with ridiculous quality left in the bench.

I’m not going to analyse every player as I thought the ones left on the pitch worked hard, but with belief totally shot. There was plenty of frustrated anger too.

Officials? Dean was absolutely disgraceful. Jankewitz deserved red. No argument. But he gave a string of one-sided decisions on fouls. He gave a pen for a foul outside the box which VAR did, amazingly, correct (much to Savage’s anger) I don’t think I’m imagining it when I say he was almost deferential to the MU players whilst being to opposite to us. The Che offside goal was nowhere near offside and only VAR can be blamed for that. What were they looking at? The end of Che’s long-sleeved shirt? No idea. That would have made a difference, not to the final result, but to lifting spirits. I’m sure that at 1-4 we wouldn’t have gone on to concede 9. Then Martial seemed very close to offside for his goal and we didn’t even pause for a check. No careful manipulation of lines for him.

But the key incident that turned the game from a bad defeat to a disaster was obviously the Bednarek penalty. Dean couldn’t wait to give it, VAR was too weak to overturn it, although of course we still have the “clear and obvious error” which I assume swayed them. This interpretation is so subjective: depending on the team involved, VAR can search for ages for something to call clear and obvious, or quickly sweep it aside. Often there’s a refs union that thinks it’s good to back each other up. I’m sure if Dean hadn’t given it, VAR would have quickly agreed. And we don’t know what was said when he was called to the screen, which only seemed to show one freeze frame. Was it “Don’t think that’s a foul - take a look” or “if you give that maybe you have to send him off” Either way, once VAR failed to do its job and bottled it, there’s no way the arrogant twat objectively reviews it. And delights in flourishing the red. That finished us off: without that it’s 6-0. Not good, but I’d have taken it.

This rule about not attempting to play the ball is a perfect example if how Laws are being tweaked (offside and handball are others, but life is too short) without careful consideration of the exact wording to avoid vagueness and misinterpretation. There needs to be a clear inclusion of there being INTENT to foul the player without trying to get the ball. Bednarek’s contact (if at all) was after Martial started falling, he was trying to pull out and there was absolutely no intent to commit a cynical foul to stop a goal.

Ralph has picked the team up before and he’ll do it again. I hope I never see Jankewitz again.

Rant over. Blue line. Move on.

• Like 13

7 hours ago, Turkish said:

Well if he didn’t know what he was looking at how could he give it?

I think he just got fed up waiting for Stockley Park to show him something and went with his original decision. In all the time that he was stood at the monitor he was only shown the one camera angle from a long shot and most of that was a frozen frame. You can see him saying something to the fourth official with a puzzled look.

Completely different context to the Leicester game. It's an unacceptable result, but we will recover from it.

Biggest concern has to be Ralph walking. He's put everything into the job, even got us to the top, and not it's all falling apart, largely due to factors out of his control. And we all know how often the Leicester result STILL gets referred to most times we play, it is going to taint his legacy, even though for me, he is one of the best managers in the League.

Need a response at Newcastle; can only hope a few are back for it. Go back just 6 weeks and I was feeling positive about taking a Europa spot. That's gone, but come on, we are not getting relegated. Theres probably 3 teams that won't even get 29 points.

As Nige has said this morning; blue line under it, move on.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Gingeletiss said:

I have to say, if Ralph was to walk, I'd have this guy back in a heartbeat.

Think we might need an extra physio given how the injury list is building!

Would be great to have around the club but not who we need as manager.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

I’m behind him, but some of it is his fault. He does make some weird selections, last night as an example , irrelevant though it turned out, playing the headless Djneppo in front of young Ramsey, what a weak right side. Not pulling a striker off when we went to ten. We all knew all season that we only had 12 or thirteen first team players, so his frantic style of football was always going to take a toll, especially with the frequency of games, and the lack of squad rotation. 

Not much in the way of plan b. No ‘grit’ players. Doesn’t change formation ever. Still rather have him though!

you see games when teams go a man down and lose five nil, but you say to yourself that it could easily have been 10. Missed chances, great saves, slight errors from attacking teams etc. I guess this was one of those days when chances were taken. 

I'm trying to make myself feel a bit better. Not sure why. Better to wallow in the misery for a bit. It's not healthy, but when we win next, that win will feel great rather than just good.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GarrettIvo said:

I've never really been one to super critical of referees.

But seriously... fuck Mike Dean.

And the thing is, you know nothing will ever be done about it, particularly when it concerns us or other less fashionable teams. .

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

And the thing is, you know nothing will ever be done about it, particularly when it concerns us or other less fashionable teams. .

What can they do? What will they want to do? Unless they can find evidence he's taking back handers then they cant prove anything. I dont believe in conspiracy theories but this guy, seriously, every single time we play something happens. Two games in a row where all the big decisions go against us, Bendareks sending off was a joke, the penalty we didn't get, both offsides, it's incredible. You might get one or two of those season but 4 in 2 games with the same referee? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Whitey Grandad said:

When Mike Dean went over to the pitchside monitor they didn’t show any replays, just a still image. What was the point of that? Even Dean seemed confused by what he was supposed to be looking at.

Dean is permanently confused by what he is supposed to be looking at.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wonder what a second 9-0 result has done to Ralphs reputation. Do you think that might put owners off a fraction? I guess if he wins another hatful of games from here then its just a blip.

I was thinking this last night. No chance a top 6 club in this country goes near him IMO. Maybe a bigger job in Germany?

• Like 1

Yes it was awful and the start was suicidal, but...

Every time commentators reference last night, which they will, their co-commentator should be contractually obliged to add, 'Ah yes, The Mike Dean Show.'

Because that's what it was for eighty minutes.

When their guy came flying out and shoulder-barged Djenepo in a heap and didn't get booked we all knew what was coming - soft yellows chucked around like confetti, tried to give a penalty that wasn't, onside goal ruled out, hilarious dive rewarded, ludicrous red card - it was just the next date on The Mike Dean one-man show clusterfuck tour.

Putting aside our issues, the football has become secondary, no ref should be trending on Twitter, and Paddy Power shouldn't have to give refunds.

As for VAR, there is nothing wrong with it, it's just technology, and it works....if used correctly.

It was brought in to help people who can't operate a whistle, so why have we put the same twats in control of it?

Imagine a situation where every day at work before you go home, a colleague will analyse your performance, knowing you will be doing theirs tomorrow?

It's a mental idea that has led to all refs just meekly agreeing with each other to protect themselves.

And at the top of that ugly sycophantic heap we have Mike Dean, undisputed King of the Twats.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Every time commentators reference last night, which they will, their co-commentator should be contractually obliged to add, 'Ah yes, The Mike Dean Show.'

When their guy came flying out and shoulder-barged Djenepo in a heap and didn't get booked we all knew what was coming - soft yellows chucked around like confetti, tried to give a penalty that wasn't, onside goal ruled out, hilarious dive rewarded, ludicrous red card - it was just the next date on The Mike Dean one-man show clusterfuck tour.

Putting aside our issues, the football has become secondary, no ref should be trending on Twitter, and Paddy Power shouldn't have to give refunds.

As for VAR, there is nothing wrong with it, it's just technology, and it works....if used correctly.

It was brought in to help people who can't operate a whistle, so why have we put the same twats in control of it?

Imagine a situation where every day at work before you go home, a colleague will analyse your performance, knowing you will be doing theirs tomorrow?

It's a mental idea that has led to all refs just meekly agreeing with each other to protect themselves.

And at the top of that ugly sycophantic heap we have Mike Dean, undisputed King of the Twats.

He booked Stuart Armstrong for time wasting when he was taking the kick off at 7-0 i think, seriously, WTF?

So many ex players and pundits are calling out some of last nights decisions, surely they have to look at it. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

Absolutely agreed, and put more eloquently than I ever could.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, John Boy Saint said:

Anyone paying attention knows the midfield has been our engine room, JWP and Romeu since project restart have been a pretty solid partnership, we got lucky with Diallo as whilst not being an enforcer like Romeu he has a bit of finesse that JWP can work with and like he has with Oriel quickly had a football telepathy. To lose both of them on Saturday was bloody unlucky, Ralph knew and said before the game that this would be hard work tonight, as we know the the game got harder even sooner. There is a bit of moaning about the senior players not stepping up to the plate, I think they did what they could our engine room was running on two cylinders, Ralph couldn't shuffle the pack from the bench to get the other 2 running, Djenepo and Armstrong are not suited to that solid midfield role and we have poor Ramsey (who I thought grew into the game) had a baptism of fire. We had a ragtag and bobtail squad, 2 keepers on the bench, down to 10 men playing against £660m worth of players that have recently been playing to their potential - In a weird twist if someone said on Transfer deadline day that the whole Man U squad had been transferred to Southampton every Saints fan would be Cock-a Hoop at such a coup. They played a patient game and picked us off with the players of the calibre to exploit the merest opportunity. 

What BT failed to show us after fawning over a failed Man U attempt from every angle was passing round the box of Kleenex, was how on more than one occasion in the first half, when they cut back to live coverage we were getting set to take a corner or potentially promising free kick!!??? It would have been delightful to have seen how we got into that bizarre position.

Like everyone else VAR seems a bit off. Being cynical bugger, after FFP pretty much kicked the ladder away for any other club outside the "top 6" breaking into it - I did wonder how long it would take to manipulate VAR to also achieve the same aim - which is to ultimately protect the product that is the Premier League: Saints, Wolves, Villa, Palace, Newcastle don't secure billion pound TV deals across the globe. You only have to listen to the commentators to realise that in reality 7th down is just cannon fodder.

Hey ho

This. Couldn’t agree more that TV deals have something to do with it 

5 minutes ago, Turkish said:

What can they do? What will they want to do? Unless they can find evidence he's taking back handers then they cant prove anything. I dont believe in conspiracy theories but this guy, seriously, every single time we play something happens. Two games in a row where all the big decisions go against us, Bendareks sending off was a joke, the penalty we didn't get, both offsides, it's incredible. You might get one or two of those season but 4 in 2 games with the same referee? 

I'm not suggesting conspiracies, or corruption, I'm suggesting incompetence. I recall a time when referees were stood down or had to drop down the leagues. I don't know if they are held to account, if they are I feel like it would be a token gesture. The refereeing and VAR debacles indicate to me they have become some kind of gentlemen's club consisting  of overweight buffoons who have each others backs at all times. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

I've got to be honest, I feel worse than I did for the Leicester game. 

Can't believe its happened again. Absolutely sickened. 

To be honest I felt worse after the Villa game. We were obviously losing this game after the first 70 seconds. 

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

You can’t blame Mike Dean for the offside goal. That decision was made hundreds of miles away. Nobody on the pitch thought it was offside, not even the well-rehearsed Manchester Utd back four.

Everything else though...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You can’t blame Mike Dean for the offside goal. That decision was made hundreds of miles away. Nobody on the pitch thought it was offside, not even the well-rehearsed Manchester Utd back four.

Everything else though...

I can blame Mike Dean for the fact that it was raining. Why on earth does the man get all dressed up as a referee? He just makes himself look ridiculous.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Cat said:

To be honest I felt worse after the Villa game. We were obviously losing this game after the first 70 seconds. 

Obviously losing but there are no excuses for losing 9-0 again. Its an embarrassment and we are the laughing stock of English football once again. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

I wonder what a second 9-0 result has done to Ralphs reputation. Do you think that might put owners off a fraction? I guess if he wins another hatful of games from here then its just a blip.

I don't think it would put anyone off, not if they looked at why we are where we are. He's not prefect but he has had us massively over performing.  If the new owners did have a bit of cash they may think if this guy can achieve what he has, with a very ordinary and thin squad what could he achieve if he could assemble his own team? I would like to see it at any rate.

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I think he just got fed up waiting for Stockley Park to show him something and went with his original decision. In all the time that he was stood at the monitor he was only shown the one camera angle from a long shot and most of that was a frozen frame. You can see him saying something to the fourth official with a puzzled look.

He would have been told about the David Luiz incident and told to 'be consistent' is my guess

59 minutes ago, Chez said:

you see games when teams go a man down and lose five nil, but you say to yourself that it could easily have been 10. Missed chances, great saves, slight errors from attacking teams etc. I guess this was one of those days when chances were taken. 

I'm trying to make myself feel a bit better. Not sure why. Better to wallow in the misery for a bit. It's not healthy, but when we win next, that win will feel great rather than just good.

Just two of those days...

Have to say it makes you wonder about the soft underbelly we have and inability to change formation or tactics to suit scenarios. There are other managers that might have switched game plan a little, given the circumstances. I love Ralph and his style, but it does sometimes seem a bit all or nothing. Last night it was nine nothing.

17 minutes ago, Saints foreva said:

Obviously losing but there are no excuses for losing 9-0 again. Its an embarrassment and we are the laughing stock of English football once again. 

There are very much excuses.... one of them is Mike Dean.

Personally, I  don't feel embarrassed about the result but about the state of the sport.