Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Damage limitation here. Just hope we come out with our goal difference still in the positive zone. This could be ugly, don't see anything positive with us at the moment.

Onwards to Newcastle really, everything on that game to 'try' and restart and get something out of this season.

If we do sign someone, presumably they come straight in to start at RB as am guessing KWP will be out.

JWP has to play midfield with presumably Jankowitz as Romeu pulled up injured.

Valery clearly not trusted.

Edited by Dusic

9 minutes ago, trousers said:

Ralph: "Maybe Jankewitz will have to start against Man Utd"

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

No other options!

Well, he wanted his chance to start and he may now have it. Could work in our favour if he's as good as he's touted to be and uses the Utd game to make a point and play a blinder. Blessings in disguise and all that. 

Edited by trousers

I'm not concerned about Jankewitz. Both times he's come off the bench I've liked the look of him. Right back is the main concern. Unless we sign someone then it'll have to be Valery. 

In terms of going forward, I actually thought Redmond had a decent ish game tonight. Certainly better than Walcott.

McCarthy; Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand; Jankewitz/Romeu, JWP; Armstrong, Redmond; Ings, Adams.

• Like 2

Just now, Harry_SFC said:

I'm not concerned about Jankewitz. Both times he's come off the bench I've liked the look of him. Right back is the main concern. Unless we sign someone then it'll have to be Valery. 

In terms of going forward, I actually thought Redmond had a decent ish game tonight. Certainly better than Walcott.

McCarthy; Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand; Jankewitz/Romeu, JWP; Armstrong, Redmond; Ings, Adams.

Really? I'm not sure what people see in Redmond, honestly. He just runs to no where or goes backwards, he offers nothing other than breaking down attacks or slowing it down.

Moussa at RB gave us more of an attacking outlet than Redmond did all game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Really? I'm not sure what people see in Redmond, honestly. He just runs to no where or goes backwards, he offers nothing other than breaking down attacks or slowing it down.

Moussa at RB gave us more of an attacking outlet than Redmond did all game.

I'm not really a fan of Redmond and generally agree with you, but thought he was better tonight than he has been, fair enough if you disagree. 

Our wide players (with the exception of Armstrong) have very little end product. 

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

I'm not really a fan of Redmond and generally agree with you, but thought he was better tonight than he has been, fair enough if you disagree. 

Our wide players (with the exception of Armstrong) have very little end product. 

No dramas, footballs about opinions. Like you say, I don't really think our wide players are consistent enough generally. Armstrong is our most consistent outlet I'd say, but he comes from inside most of the time.

• Like 1

This is going to be a shitshow.

Maybe play three in midfield to give Jankewitz a little protection and gunk up the middle of the park a bit.

4321: McCarthy; Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand; Ward-Prowse, Jankewitz, Armstrong; Redmond, Djenepo; Ings

Don't know where our next points are coming from.

Just now, qwertyell said:

Maybe play three in midfield to give Jankewitz a little protection and gunk up the middle of the park a bit.

4321: McCarthy; Valery, Bednarek, Stephens, Bertrand; Ward-Prowse, Jankewitz, Armstrong; Redmond, Djenepo; Ings

Don't know where our next points are coming from.

Newcastle, I hope!

17 minutes ago, qwertyell said:

I'm not sure changing our tried and tested system, which has stood us in good stead for the majority of the first half of the season, will necessarily help matters. The fringe players will have been drilled to play the same system, so changing things could unsettle the likes of Jankewitz more than he might already be by having to start a game in such a daunting venue. (Dunno, I'm no psychologist, so who knows)

I hate 9.15  pm CET kick offs. Win lose or draw I never get a good nights kip afterwards.

Given the injuries, and the fact that Mike Dean is the ref, maybe we should just stay at home, rest the players and give them a 3 nil.   

Edited by redkeith

9 hours ago, Harry_SFC said:

Better by his low standards, but really poor in comparison to most other top half pl wide atacking players.

I know we have know money but for wot Leicester were asking for demarari gray surely we could have done some business.. wot redders brings to the table now is very little ..sideways or backwards football from him hinders our play ..it was evident again last night .. I would have liked too see gray in a saints shirt on the wing for us ..Ralph would have turned him into a real threat ..unfortunately Redmond now checks back everytime we attack its damaging wot we do going forward as a team .. Theo is similar IMO send him back to Everton and sell redders..free up some transfer money Ralph .

10 hours ago, Turkish said:

And the ref is Mike Dean!

Really? With Lee Mason on VAR? 

My hatred for Mike Dean goes back a number of years, honestly don't recall any decisions where he's favoured us, recall the Bertrand sending off in the 9-0 being down to Dean on VAR. We've had a few run ins with him, recall the 2-0 defeat at Bournemouth probably 4 or 5 years ago, Dean had been shocking all game and gave B'mouth a ridiculous free kick just in front of the away section, Saints fans giving him some stick and he grinned making yawning motions towards the away end, he's a first class cnt, hopefully he suffers an injury before Tuesday. Ralph should publically request Dean not to be involved in any of our games. 

As to Manchester United, our injuries and form would point to a comfortable home victory, but who knows, our record against them at Old Trafford is much better than it is at St Mary's, they seem to drop points at home in games you'd expect them to win. Our luck must change soon, probably not on Tuesday though. Money on United to get a pen via VAR. 

Need some more analysis on the injury situation, Ralph claims its worse as we're not able to use our recovery facilities at Staplewood, I wonder if other clubs are being quite so strict with covid protocols, is this since the latest lockdown or were we not able to use such things in Tier 2 previously as well? Probably worst injury record I can remember in 35 years following Saints, nearly all muscle injuries. 

1 hour ago, Shroppie said:

Real crisis at DM now. Romeu, Diallo, Smallbone all out. Romeu is a real blow: I thought he was making a difference especially when back with JWP.

I hope this isn't because we tried to rush Romeu back!

Ralph feels quite downbeat about Theo, states it looks like a serious/long one (ditto for Diallo).

If they are both hamstring type injuries then you're looking at weeks in the normal circumstances, but if they can't use the facilities we have at the moment, then you could probably double that recovery time into months.

McCarthy

Valery Stephens Bednarek Bertrand

Armstrong Jankewitz JWP Redmond

Adams Ings

I would prefer to start Djenepo over Redmond btw- but at same time I feel like Djenepo’s best spells are when he comes off the bench and can run at tired legs- get him on from minute 45!

Also unsure if Ings can play full 90- get N’lundulu on early on to avoid any further injuries.

Shane Long couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo atm but we have no one else so he’ll have to make do as the 3rd sub.

I actually think we could be competitive with that team, but with Dean officiating my prediction is Man Utd 1 Saints 0; courtesy of a Rashford penalty or something 

5 minutes ago, nta786 said:

McCarthy

Valery Stephens Bednarek Bertrand

Armstrong Jankewitz JWP Redmond

Adams Ings

I would prefer to start Djenepo over Redmond btw- but at same time I feel like Djenepo’s best spells are when he comes off the bench and can run at tired legs- get him on from minute 45!

Also unsure if Ings can play full 90- get N’lundulu on early on to avoid any further injuries.

Shane Long couldn’t hit a cow’s arse with a banjo atm but we have no one else so he’ll have to make do as the 3rd sub.

I actually think we could be competitive with that team, but with Dean officiating my prediction is Man Utd 1 Saints 0; courtesy of a Rashford penalty or something 

1-0! I admire your optimism. I can see this being at least 5 or 6. 😞

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Really? With Lee Mason on VAR? 

My hatred for Mike Dean goes back a number of years, honestly don't recall any decisions where he's favoured us, recall the Bertrand sending off in the 9-0 being down to Dean on VAR. We've had a few run ins with him, recall the 2-0 defeat at Bournemouth probably 4 or 5 years ago, Dean had been shocking all game and gave B'mouth a ridiculous free kick just in front of the away section, Saints fans giving him some stick and he grinned making yawning motions towards the away end, he's a first class cnt, hopefully he suffers an injury before Tuesday. Ralph should publically request Dean not to be involved in any of our games. 

As to Manchester United, our injuries and form would point to a comfortable home victory, but who knows, our record against them at Old Trafford is much better than it is at St Mary's, they seem to drop points at home in games you'd expect them to win. Our luck must change soon, probably not on Tuesday though. Money on United to get a pen via VAR. 

Need some more analysis on the injury situation, Ralph claims its worse as we're not able to use our recovery facilities at Staplewood, I wonder if other clubs are being quite so strict with covid protocols, is this since the latest lockdown or were we not able to use such things in Tier 2 previously as well? Probably worst injury record I can remember in 35 years following Saints, nearly all muscle injuries. 

Whereas Mason is just a terrible referee Dean is a grade A prick. You can guarantee that he’ll make at least one controversial decision in every game, it happens too often for it be coincidence. Doesn’t he have an agent? He wants to be centre of attention and loves it. He seems untouchable too can’t believe he’s been a premier league referee since 2000. 

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Whereas Mason is just a terrible referee Dean is a grade A prick. You can guarantee that he’ll make at least one controversial decision in every game, it happens too often for it be coincidence. Doesn’t he have an agent? He wants to be centre of attention and loves it. He seems untouchable too can’t believe he’s been a premier league referee since 2000. 

you only have to look at footage of those Tranmere play off games a couple of years ago when he's there front and centre in amongst their supporters acting like a total bloody diva to see what type of person he is. Its me me me all the way with Mr Dean

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LeG said:

Think i might not watch this one and just check the score at HT and FT. Yesterday was super bad for stress levels and a part of my love for football died a bit after the horrendous officiating and ridiculous rules. On top of that, further injured players and i doubt we will address it in the window. If we aren't careful, Ralph will just leave. The owner needs to realise the situation we are in, and just how quickly it can all go wrong. 

I share your sentiments and feel the same way about the game in general. Can't see Ralph leaving though unless someone comes in with a better offer. He won't be sacked and it would be madness to walk as he'd lose his payoff. 

3 hours ago, Chris cooper said:

I know we have know money but for wot Leicester were asking for demarari gray surely we could have done some business.. wot redders brings to the table now is very little ..sideways or backwards football from him hinders our play ..it was evident again last night .. I would have liked too see gray in a saints shirt on the wing for us ..Ralph would have turned him into a real threat ..unfortunately Redmond now checks back everytime we attack its damaging wot we do going forward as a team .. Theo is similar IMO send him back to Everton and sell redders..free up some transfer money Ralph .

I was wondering if Redmond could transition to full back. He seems to be finished as a winger / wide attacker but he doesn’t mind getting stuck in.

4 hours ago, Shroppie said:

Real crisis at DM now. Romeu, Diallo, Smallbone all out. Romeu is a real blow: I thought he was making a difference especially when back with JWP.

Could not be worse. We will never know how well we would have finished up the table had we not had all these injuries. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Well after the shit show of yesterday be prepared for an even more biased performance from Mike Dean. My guess is that Manure will be awarded at least two pens and we will have at least one Red. The Owners of SFC are not prepared to spend any money and we, the supporters, have to sit back and accept the fact that we cannot compete with any other Club in the Prem for obtaining any new players. I have supported Saints for over sixty years and this has to be probably the lowest I have been. The lads will not just roll over and give up, but how much longer can Ralph be with us knowing his hands are tied?

45 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

Well after the shit show of yesterday be prepared for an even more biased performance from Mike Dean. My guess is that Manure will be awarded at least two pens and we will have at least one Red. The Owners of SFC are not prepared to spend any money and we, the supporters, have to sit back and accept the fact that we cannot compete with any other Club in the Prem for obtaining any new players. I have supported Saints for over sixty years and this has to be probably the lowest I have been. The lads will not just roll over and give up, but how much longer can Ralph be with us knowing his hands are tied?

Well I must admit that in my 50+ years of supporting Saints there have been many more times I felt lower than at the moment. Bad couple of weeks that is all.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, hasper57saint said:

I have supported Saints for over sixty years and this has to be probably the lowest I have been

My memory may be a tad sketchy, but I'm pretty sure there have been worse times than spending most of the first half of the season in the top half of the top division (and a significant proportion of that in the top 6) followed by a mid-season dip in form, which is quite common place for us...?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, hasper57saint said:

Get a grip, we’re 11th in the premier league. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Appy said:

Get a grip, we’re 11th in the premier league. 

Exactly this. Some people like to complain. Don't seem to take into account we were completely up against officiating which was completely shocking last night. If we get given the penalty last night which was stonewall by the way then I think we win comfortably. Add in to it all the injuries we have atm and we are doing the best we can. I think we will get something from the game on Tuesday night :)

Edited by davefizzy14
  • Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic