Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

17 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Sounds like you are almost praying that the match will be called off

Certainly not praying, because getting to watch Saints had been one of the few things that has kept me sane during lockdown. But it wouldn't be such a bad thing, given our injury list at present.

Anyway, someone already said there has been no snow in Manc, and what we have had in Sheffield is already starting to melt, so it looks like it will probably go ahead.

Assuming Jankowitz starts, IMO he has to play alongside JWP rather than adding Armstrong in there, especially seeing as its a strong area for Utd.

I wouldnt be suprised to see Armstrong on the bench as Ralph is always very cautious with him playing every 3 days and he played last midweek too.

That would mean Djenepo and Redmond in the #10s behind Ings and Adams.

So RB...would only leave one of the Academy lads like Ramsay. Tough ask against either Martial or Rashford.

Has Walker-Peters 100% been ruled out of this one by Ralph? Or is the door open for him to make a surprise early comeback? (I think he was back in full training yesterday, so not beyond the realms of possibility?)

Edited by trousers

5 minutes ago, trousers said:

Has Walker-Peters 100% been ruled out of this one by Ralph? Or is the door open for him to make a surprise early comeback? (I think he was back in full training yesterday, so not beyond the realms of possibility?)

Fairly sure he's out for this one, I heard Ralph mentioning Newcastle.

We will have to limp through todays game with a 'close your eyes and take your pick' RB.

I'd have suggested even going 3 at the back and playing more attacking wing backs, but we don't even have enough CB's for that.

8 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

We will have to limp through todays game with a 'close your eyes and take your pick' RB.

I'd have suggested even going 3 at the back and playing more attacking wing backs, but we don't even have enough CB's for that.

Bertrand has played the LCB role in a 3 before and done very well. The question would be who would we play ahead of him? Djenepo? Ralph tried playing him at LWB away at Sheff Utd last season and it was a disaster.

3 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Bertrand has played the LCB role in a 3 before and done very well. The question would be who would we play ahead of him? Djenepo? Ralph tried playing him at LWB away at Sheff Utd last season and it was a disaster.

The prob with using Bertrand as the third CB is that you've then got to find someone for the left side and the right side.

I wouldn't trust Moussa on either side to be honest, he's a terrible full back (as he should be, he's an unpredictable winger!)

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Totton Saint said:

How silly is that unless KWP is early back

Agree with you totally ..the worldy he scored at old Trafford would have motivated him massively for tonight and would have been in ole’s mind maybe swaying the way he set up for tonight.. jwp back in the middle at OT is must for us ..think along side the boy Jankewitz hopefully he will flourish he wanted game time ..well boy has he got it tonight!!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, bpsaint said:

I reckon due to our injury list we’ll be fearing a 3 or 4 nil spanking, however we actually end up drawing due to conceding a 89th minute equaliser and bemoan the fact we so nearly pulled off a win.

i can dream right..

Hang on you missed the plot twist - Mike Dean is on the whistle and that equaliser will come in the 89th minute, but their winner will come in the 97th minute of the game when only 4 minutes came up on the board at 90, yet no subs were made, no shonky decision has gone to VAR, and no Man U player has gone down like he has been shot by the sniper up in the floodlights................don't forget that graphic pointing out the 123 points we have dropped from a winning position will have popped up at 88.35 minutes!

As has been mentioned I wouldn't be surprised to see 3 at the back, Djenepo and Redmond sliding up and down the sides. Might even see local lad Ferry given a spin out too at some point as from what I have seen of him he does have a footballing brain between his ears. Either way, we walk away from this game with a point that is a result. 

2 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Put Bertrand there and play our back-up left back..... oh.

As our transfer dealings seem to suggest we're adopting a somewhat gung-ho approach for the rest of the season, I'd be tempted to go with an attacking line-up for this one:

McCarthy; Armstrong, Ings, Adams, Minamino, Nlundulu, Obafemi, Redmond, Djenepo, Tella, Walcott (with the last two under instructions to run off the injuries, we need fighters out there).

1-0-10 formation. 

Subs: Lambert, Pahars, Beattie, Le Tissier, Wallace (D), Ron Davies and Jonno Quick. 

Judging by yesterday the club has made a calculated sacrifice of this one in the hope that we get Vestergard and KWP back next week. Just hope we don't lose by too many as goal difference may still be important...

Always have a look at opps forums...they're not very confident...which surprises me given how depleted we are. I'm not sure they've realised we're missing KWP, Vestergaard, Diallo Romeu Walcott who would all probably play if fit...

Gut feeling is that we'll have a go, but quality will tell and our defence will be a bit all over the place, especially with no Romeu / Diallo protecting the defence.  

https://www.redcafe.net/matches/manchester-united-vs-southampton.378/

Edited by Saint Garrett

18 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

Anyone else listened to Ole complaining about ref decisions this morning? Oh my, I feel we are being trolled by the whole damn world now, when will this end!!!!!!

Terrible time to be playing them, just after refs have told them they made a mistake. Fernandes soft penalty incoming.

We're not too far from full strength, so I am expecting to be competitive. We have been pressing teams a lot better recently and they will not like that especially if Pogba is playing. We might need to ride our luck again cos they will play through us just as they did at St Mary's. We had Vesty & KWP in that game and were not very good despite scoring twice. I hope Jankewitz is as good as he thinks he is and that whoever is played at RB (Kayne or Djenepo, I don't think it matters) get forward at every opportunity.
Mike Dean will be itching to give us a pen...

• Like 2

We're not too far from full strength, so I am expecting to be competitive. We will be missing five key players.

We have been pressing teams a lot better recently and they will not like that especially if Pogba is playing. We looked knackered by the end and Paul will start.

We might need to ride our luck again cos they will play through us just as they did at St Mary's. The only luck we have is bad luck.

We had Vesty & KWP in that game and were not very good despite scoring twice. We had Vesti and KWP and still conceded three goals to them.

I hope Jankewitz is as good as he thinks he is I hope he's as good as his agent thinks!

and that whoever is played at RB (Kayne or Djenepo, I don't think it matters) get forward at every opportunity. Stay back, DEFEND!

Mike Dean will be itching to give us a pen... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 🤣🤪😅

I think my optimism we will score has finally run out.

So I predict (i hope i a wrong):

- Redmond will either the hit the defender or stands with all of his shots.

- Armstrong will lose the ball in our half more than twice leading to a counter attack.

- The average age of bench will be 20

- Ralph will still have the tightest trousers of any manager in the league

- It will be cold, wet.

- Man U will get a dodgy handball by VAR

Perhaps Ralph thinks Kayne Ramsay is ready to start at RB this evening. We will find out later on. Im really looking forward to seeing Jankewitz tonight, he's a huge talent. I think we can get something :) 1-1 Ings to score, COYR :)

Edited by davefizzy14

Got a feeling Utd will get a late winner, around the 127th minute mark. 

Saints down to 8 men after crippling fouls by Utd players (not one yellow given to them) after 15 minutes and we run out of available subs to make.

Forster forced to come on as a makeshift RB due to the injuries in the match.

9-0 sweepstake at 7 mins 37 seconds. 

Would love all our players to come out with all their sleeves cut off and JWP to wear the Captains armband around his head. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

First time for a while I'm not exactly looking forward to watching the game - even though we've played alright the last few weeks we are losing games and not scoring, which is just bloody frustrating when you think about it! 

We'll come good and go on a nice little run and end up in the top ten I reckon' - but I don't think that run will start this evening. Bit your hand off for a point!

48 minutes ago, LiberalCommunist said:

We're not too far from full strength, so I am expecting to be competitive. We will be missing five key players.

We have been pressing teams a lot better recently and they will not like that especially if Pogba is playing. We looked knackered by the end and Paul will start.

We might need to ride our luck again cos they will play through us just as they did at St Mary's. The only luck we have is bad luck.

We had Vesty & KWP in that game and were not very good despite scoring twice. We had Vesti and KWP and still conceded three goals to them.

I hope Jankewitz is as good as he thinks he is I hope he's as good as his agent thinks!

and that whoever is played at RB (Kayne or Djenepo, I don't think it matters) get forward at every opportunity. Stay back, DEFEND!

Mike Dean will be itching to give us a pen... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 🤣🤪😅

I'll just sit back down with my half-and-half scarf then

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, davefizzy14 said:

Perhaps Ralph thinks Kayne Ramsay is ready to start at RB this evening. We will find out later on. Im really looking forward to seeing Jankewitz tonight, he's a huge talent. I think we can get something :) 1-1 Ings to score, COYR :)

I hope you are right, if he puts Djeneppo there, we'll know he's thrown his toys out of the pram.

36 minutes ago, Behind Enemy Lines said:

Would love all our players to come out with all their sleeves cut off

I genuinely believe we should do this! (Or at least roll them up to the shoulder) :)

Probably some obscure law about sleeve length though one would assume 

Keep the score down tonight and not suffer any more injuries, or cards to those teetering on the edge (eg JWP or Stephens/Bednerak)

Mind you I can remember days gone by when we had to play Dodds/Benali in central defence and the likes of Tommy Widdrington in midfield and we got by.

The major games for us are at the likes of Newcastle on Saturday and other team below us.

We need to pick up the 11+ points to reach safety before I can relax.

Apparently we are currently 500/1 for relegation with some Betting firms.

I would be more than willing to stick on £20 if these odds are true so. if the worse, came it would be enough to pay for my season ticket for a couple more years.

27 minutes ago, trousers said:

I genuinely believe we should do this! (Or at least roll them up to the shoulder) :)

Probably some obscure law about sleeve length though one would assume 

Didn't Cameroon have a sleeveless shirt for the 2010(?) world cup but were told it wasn't allowed?

3 hours ago, DT said:

Judging by yesterday the club has made a calculated sacrifice of this one in the hope that we get Vestergard and KWP back next week. Just hope we don't lose by too many as goal difference may still be important...

Apparently according to a commentator on TV, we once lost 9-0. I am sure I heard that somewhere.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic