Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

38 minutes ago, Appy said:

Get a grip, we’re 11th in the premier league. 

I think I get what he means though, I've probably never felt more negative in the way modern football is going, or at least Premier league football. Before this lockdown I'd got into going to some non league football, pay on the day, no taking a knee political lecture, few hundred in the crowd watch two teams playing a proper match. Premier league football now just seems to be players protecting the ball and dropping to their knees at the slightest contact. Behind closed doors isn't helping, but I feel detached from it all. 

Watching Saints with my young kids it saddens me they've been conditioned to ask if the goal is allowed before celebrating, it's normal to them , no spontaneous celebration. 

I miss the away days out on the train sipping a few beers but can't say I'll be rushing back to games. 

32 minutes ago, Shroppie said:

DON'T PANIC!

Gives a chance to Alexandre Jankewitz - see if he is good as he was once touted to be and whether he can make a stake to a 1st team place.

Although recent weeks have been a huge disappointment we have a ton of injuries and need to develop a Plan B.  The flipside is that we have beaten Liverpool and Arsenal and are no pushovers despite injuries.  Also gives some of the younger players a chance to see if they may have what it takes longer term.  And we are still in the Cup (for now!). 

5 hours ago, hasper57saint said:

Well after the shit show of yesterday be prepared for an even more biased performance from Mike Dean. My guess is that Manure will be awarded at least two pens and we will have at least one Red. The Owners of SFC are not prepared to spend any money and we, the supporters, have to sit back and accept the fact that we cannot compete with any other Club in the Prem for obtaining any new players. I have supported Saints for over sixty years and this has to be probably the lowest I have been. The lads will not just roll over and give up, but how much longer can Ralph be with us knowing his hands are tied?

Agreed, this is far, far worse than administration and the years running up to it. 

5 hours ago, sad saints fan said:

Well I must admit that in my 50+ years of supporting Saints there have been many more times I felt lower than at the moment. Bad couple of weeks that is all.

In my 126 years supporting saints including in my previous life supporting St Mary’s I can only think of one time when I was lower. Typical me to come back as a saints fan again not once but twice, I wish I supported Everton FFS. 

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2

Although question marks about whether Valery might still be here tomorrow, guess we will see something like this tomorrow?

McCarthy

Valery (?); Stephens; Bednarek; Bertrand

Redmond; Jankewitz; JWP; Armstrong

Ings; Adams

Djenepo possibly somewhere

Bench: Forster, Long and whoever else can run. 

First team doesnt look too bad, but any injuries and not looking good at all. 

9 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Mike Dean confirmed as ref for this game LOL

And LEE MASON as 4th official. Premier league are trolling us aren't they. 

Just hope Ralph takes some laxative with him to slip in their pre match cups of tea. 

11 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

How far in advance do they know? I mean is this why Ralph kept his cool Saturday?

Good question, not sure how far in advance they know.

Think Ralph was too cool/classy for his own good. I'm sure he was furious, but Premier League probably think 'ah well, it's only Southampton and they haven't caused a stink so let's crack on.' Wish we had a bit more sh*thousery about us at times, we've got better but still not enough. 

I would advocate asking Dean if he's actually going to watch the game this time, but knowing what that twat is like he'll end up going even more the other way.

8 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I’m still struggling to work out who the right back will be in all honesty.

Think it’s dependant on who isn’t injured. Probably will be Prowsey if we have a CM, maybe Armstrong drops in there. Or maybe Moussa will play RB. 

Whatever the decision, it’s damaged limitations with this many players out. 

On 31/01/2021 at 12:39, Turkish said:

In my 126 years supporting saints including in my previous life supporting St Mary’s I can only think of one time when I was lower. Typical me to come back as a saints fan again not once but twice, I wish I supported Everton FFS. 

Thanks for the giggle Turkish...luxxxxerry!...caaardboard box, caardboard ? luuuxxerry! We used to get out our ole in the ground and lick road clean wit tounge! 52 real years supporting Saints and nobody should be surprised we aren't backing promise with investment. Happy with Minamino deal all the same - making the most of what we can do.

I think we need to change formation for tonight.

McCarthy

Bednarek   Stephens   Bertrand

JWP                       Jankewitz                  Djenepo

Armstrong                     Redmond

Ings              Adams

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nick75Sfc said:

Just woken up to 4 inches of snow.... anyone thinking of travelling might want to reconsider 

Yeah we've had loads here on the other side of the peaks in Sheffield. Don't know what it's like in Salford, and obviously we don't have to consider fan safety travelling to and from the ground, but if the team and/or officials can't get there due to travel disruption then it might well be postponed. 

Would be a blessing if so, given our injury problems.

2 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Yeah we've had loads here on the other side of the peaks in Sheffield. Don't know what it's like in Salford, and obviously we don't have to consider fan safety travelling to and from the ground, but if the team and/or officials can't get there due to travel disruption then it might well be postponed. 

Would be a blessing if so, given our injury problems.

I believe the squad is already at a hotel in Manchester......unfortunately 

14 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

I believe the squad is already at a hotel in Manchester......unfortunately 

Not just the playing staff they have to think about though. There's the officials, the support staff, the TV crews etc. 

There's a yellow warning of snow and ice all across the north for the next few days.

If travel conditions are too risky then I can see it getting pulled.

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

I think we need to change formation for tonight.

McCarthy

Bednarek   Stephens   Bertrand

JWP                       Jankewitz                  Djenepo

Armstrong                     Redmond

Ings              Adams

Possible the best we can get out the odds and sods we have available. Can Jankewitz play wingback to allow JWP to return to the middle? What would the bench look like?

23 minutes ago, Sheaf Saint said:

There's a yellow warning of snow and ice all across the north for the next few days.

If travel conditions are too risky then I can see it getting pulled.

Snow gets games called off due to being dangerous for fans walking to games.

It won't impact the pitch at Old Trafford with under soil heating.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Pancake said:

Possible the best we can get out the odds and sods we have available. Can Jankewitz play wingback to allow JWP to return to the middle? What would the bench look like?

Not that happy about changing shape but may be no alternative to playing the best players we can muster in the positions that work best.

As for the bench, bit worried about the late KO. It'll be past their bedtime by half time. May even need a supply of nappies.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If the match is played surely JWP will have to play in midfield with Valery at RB. Best bet who will partner him, Armstrong maybe?

McCarthy

Valery - Bednarek - Stephens - Bertrand

JWP - Armstrong 

Djenepo - Redmond 

Adams - Ings

Doesn't look so bad after all on paper does it?

Except we loaned Valery to Birmingham yesterday.

11 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

Snow gets games called off due to being dangerous for fans walking to games.

It won't impact the pitch at Old Trafford with under soil heating.

Yes, I already addressed that point in my previous post.

Despite the lack of fans and the undersoil heating, if it's too dangerous for other essential personnel to travel then it will be postponed.

1 minute ago, Charlie Wayman said:

If the match is played surely JWP will have to play in midfield with Valery at RB. Best bet who will partner him, Armstrong maybe?

McCarthy

Valery - Bednarek - Stephens - Bertrand

JWP - Armstrong 

Djenepo - Redmond 

Adams - Ings

Doesn't look so bad after all on paper does it?

Valery gone to brum mush 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic