Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

1 minute ago, ChrisPY said:

Because he gets the team to play the same way for 90 minutes and doesn’t react to what is happening on the pitch?

The massive loss tonight highlights it when we should have gone into damage limitation mode but the points lost from winning positions isn’t a coincidence. 

Plan A is fantastic but needs to be able to manage games and react better during the 90 minutes.

Personally, I want us to stick with him and back him in the transfer market but can see the justification in getting rid.

Appreciate what he has done for us. No other manager could get this bunch playing as they have. He has performed miracles. This 'group' have these results in them, let's be honest. 

They're ok, but not amazing. The form he has had us on over the last 12 months has been incredible and he deserves absolutely no criticism in my eyes.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

It really isn't. He can only work with what he has, and he's been right royally shafted. Gao needs to fuck off with immediate effect.

Our gripes in the transfer window were centred solely around not getting a reserve fullback. Given that Bertrand and Ramsay were not the problem tonight, I fail to see how that’s on Gao. Roberto Carlos on the bench wouldn’t have changed anything tonight.

Just now, Portugalsaint said:

Hopefully Ralph won’t walk.  Don’t forget we have 9 injured players according to Dave Merrington tonight.  Now, we have two red carded.  Have we got a team to present for the Newcastle game?

Maybe we can claim 'COVID' and get it postponed. 

• Like 1

Ralph is responsible for lack of fight. As he was against Leicester.

He is a good manger but some here have it so polarised and put everything on Gao co you can’t have a word against your hero.

Edited by whelk
  • Like 1

In between the VAR/Mike Dean shit show there was a hell of a lot of woeful defending and very limited composure when we got the ball off them. Not nearly enough effort to get tight, some pathetic positioning and heading. Jesus. We've lot a few to injury and United are going well, but you have to do better. So many mistakes. When the pressure is on, you really get to see the quality of players we have...

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Maybe we can claim 'COVID' and get it postponed. 

My thinking is that although we don't have loads of players isolating because of positive tests, the lockdown restrictions are preventing us from using our recovery facilities, so if can be argued that our squad availability is being impacted by Covid, albeit indirectly.

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

In between the VAR/Mike Dean shit show there was a hell of a lot of woeful defending and very limited composure when we got the ball off them. Not nearly enough effort to get tight, some pathetic positioning and heading. Jesus. We've lot a few to injury and United are going well, but you have to do better. So many mistakes. When the pressure is on, you really get to see the quality of players we have...

We wilt under the pressure, we always have. We're a very meek outfit. When the going is good we are on it, but as soon as things turn bad in a game...heads drop, everyone loses their heads and we step off it and hide. The makeup of the squad in that sense isn't great and hasn't been for a long time.

• Like 2

Just now, S-Clarke said:

We wilt under the pressure, we always have. We're a very meek outfit. When the going is good we are on it, but as soon as things turn bad in a game...heads drop, everyone loses their heads and we step off it and hide. The makeup of the squad in that sense isn't great and hasn't been for a long time.

Except for when they don’t. Plenty of games have shown we are made of sterner stuff now. Clearly not tonight though

Blame VAR and Dean all you want, the lack of mentality and failure to respond to setbacks is abysmal. Non league teams would have held out better than we did. I know we’re down to the bare bones but the shape and decision making was pathetic. Ralph will take the stick, as he should because our set up with ten men is atrocious, again.  Two 9 nil defeats in two seasons, deary me. 

• Like 2

That team's far better than that particular result because they played consistently well towards the end of last season and there was some excellent football up until recently. This has to be a temporary speed bump. They'll come back. A bit of a pity the score-line wasn't one less or Saints scored to stop the future ad nauseum bleating about it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

I do have to question how a manager can allow his team to get beat 9-0 twice. Once was obviously bad but a culmination of a long period of deterioration. Why can’t he park the bus like other managers? 
The officiating was, yet again, an absolute scandal. Some bank accounts need checking at this rate. 

I do agree re the park the bus thing. No way does that happen twice or even once under - for example - Allardyce or Wilder but we were properly fucked over by the officials today (again) and obviously the early and correctly (though all too gleefully given) red for Jankewitz. Beyond that, starting with 2 complete rookies on the pitch and having another 5 plus 2 goalkeepers (1 rookie) - let that sink in for a minute, we started with TWO GOALKEEPERS ON THE BENCH - ain't gonna help whatsoever. All in all really fucking embarrassing however you try to spin it. 

Ralph needs to have a rant about Mike Dean that’s all I want.

Something along the lines of ‘we will refuse to play a team which has Dean officiating’, just anything.

It’s just injustice when this guy is involved in our game.

9-0 does not happen if Bednarek was still on the pitch- and it would have been 6-0 had Martial been given a yellow for diving which many pundits are saying no one would be complaining had that been the casr.

Edited by nta786
  • Like 3

Well done to all of you who watched the whole game, I couldn't stomach it.

Can't see how anyone can blame Gao for lack of squad depth - Ralph has said all along that he wanted a smaller squad with youth players on the fringes. We just have a terrible injury crisis.

I do wonder (having not watched it) whether Ralph's pressing style simply doesn't work with 10 men

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Couldn’t agree more. 

We need a couple of gypsies to bang a few heads. Too polite....

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Things were not going well at Chelsea and we rescued a draw. We can do it. But the way we wilted away at Villa from 4-0 up was a clear sign of mental weakness.

1 minute ago, whelk said:

Ralph is responsible for lack of fight. As he was against Leicester.

He is a good manger but some her want it so polarised and put everything on Gao co you can’t have a word against your hero.

He spends the majority of the match shouting encouragement at the players/trying to keep positive, so any lack of fight is entirely on the players.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nta786 said:

Ralph needs to have a rant about Mike Dean that’s all I want.

Something along the lines of ‘we will refuse to play a team which has Dean officiating’, just anything.

It’s just injustice when this guy is involved in our game 

I too would like him to be outspoken to the point of being fined

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Appreciate what he has done for us. No other manager could get this bunch playing as they have. He has performed miracles. This 'group' have these results in them, let's be honest. 

They're ok, but not amazing. The form he has had us on over the last 12 months has been incredible and he deserves absolutely no criticism in my eyes.

As I said, I think his Plan A is brilliant and as you’ve pointed out has resulted in a fantastic run of form.

Seems stupid to think that because of that there’s no reason to look for ways to improve and that includes with Ralph’s tactics (and I’d rather Ralph improved his tactics than we got rid of him).

Plenty of examples where we’ve dropped points from winning positions where we could have tightened up at the back or where we’ve needed a late goal and continued persisting with passing the ball around the defence and midfield to try and draw the opposition out.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Have to agree, would maybe have been something to see one or two players arguing after goal x went in, but we just strolled back for the restart looking totally beat every time.

2 minutes ago, Ex Lion Tamer said:

I do wonder (having not watched it) whether Ralph's pressing style simply doesn't work with 10 men

we didn't press, we parked the bus, but we don't have a clue how to do it, and have defenders that didnt do the basics right, like prevent crosses and head crosses away.