Man Utd 9-0 Saints - Match Thread

SuperSAINT

Just so everyone is clear. This is a penalty and a red card. Where a defender brushes the attacker

image.thumb.png.c9e1b671676925f20868da1ce30d1baf.png

And this is not. Where a defender sticks out an arm to stop a goalbound shot. 

image.thumb.png.03891f6e812a81c77eed92dfe7539dd2.png

Mike Dean should not be allowed anywhere near our games again. This isn't cherry picking two incidents that happened miles apart. This is in consecutive games!! And in both cases had time to watch replays to make that decision. 

• Like 7
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, bpsaint said:

Wish Ralph was a bit nastier and slated the officials after the Villa shit show on Saturday, might have had a bearing on some of tonight’s decisions.

They would have doubled down (that's how they work), and it probably detracts from the real issues which is the grand scheme of thing is not the officiating its the hangover of quite frankly terrible transfer decisions from the moment we sold VVD combined with an owner who cannot put money into the club if he wanted because of law changes in China after he purchased the club.  Then if you wanted to assume he would sell, unless someone comes along and offers what he thinks it is worth he's going to hang onto his asset.  Who in their right mind in this economic climate is going to buy us for more than Gao did and why would he sell for a loss?

Not having a go at you by the way, just think its not as simple as claiming the owner is the problem, or saying the refs are the problem.  We've made mistakes in the past and are paying for them now, I'm just thankful we've got a manager who knows what he is doing and can help us navigate through this period of the clubs existence.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JRM said:

We will 100% lose at Newcastle on Saturday I'm afraid mate, this squad is fucked mentally and physically.  We'll stay up but will struggle to get to 40 points. Absolute fucking shambles from top down. Appalling mismanagement over a number of years. 

40 points is a very long way off considering we were top all be it for a brief time.....anyone remember that? the stat that's most annoying is points lost from winning starts,and not scoring goals in the second half of games .Che missed an absolute fucking sitter from good play and yet i think it might have been 6-1 then a little bit better,but fuck me bollocks...............Certainly VAR needs to be sorted out because it still down to someone else's vision and view on proceedings. Dean at the center of the game on those decisions yet again in the space of 2 games against us. If its too difficult to work out from all camera angles and takes too long  then its not been clear and obvious, you just knew that when HE went to the monitor it was going to be given. So Bednarek cleans out Martial and its a yellow and penalty, for not attempting to play  the ball and avoid the diving Martial its eventually a penalty and a red.Right boys go through them in the box, and pick up a yellow seems to be the new order from today's lesson. Wow just seen the next few fixtures and like its been alluded to 40  points is along way to go.Our squad is so down to the bones there's no room for lack of leadership in the next coming games.Wonder when the chairman knew we lost?...........oh fucking dear 2, 9-0 losses folks that will take some poor bastards team to be worse off than our sorry bunch. And ive got to do family zoom on Sunday and my brothers an ardent Portshite fan............should be great fun NOT.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DT said:

Worried Ralph will walk this time. Carl Anka reply on Twitter hinted at possibility. If he does we are in absolute doo doo

I’m hoping his pride will mean he stays to show that he is better than that and can turn it round again. Liverpool conceded 7 and Klopp wasn’t expected to go. Freak results happen. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

40 points is a very long way off considering we were top all be it for a brief time.....anyone remember that? the stat that's most annoying is points lost from winning starts,and not scoring goals in the second half of games .Che missed an absolute fucking sitter from good play and yet i think it might have been 6-1 then a little bit better,but fuck me bollocks...............Certainly VAR needs to be sorted out because it still down to someone else's vision and view on proceedings. Dean at the center of the game on those decisions yet again in the space of 2 games against us. If its too difficult to work out from all camera angles and takes too long  then its not been clear and obvious, you just knew that when HE went to the monitor it was going to be given. So Bednarek cleans out Martial and its a yellow and penalty, for not attempting to play  the ball and avoid the diving Martial its eventually a penalty and a red.Right boys go through them in the box, and pick up a yellow seems to be the new order from today's lesson. Wow just seen the next few fixtures and like its been alluded to 40  points is along way to go.Our squad is so down to the bones there's no room for lack of leadership in the next coming games.Wonder when the chairman knew we lost?...........oh fucking dear 2, 9-0 losses folks that will take some poor bastards team to be worse off than our sorry bunch. And ive got to do family zoom on Sunday and my brothers an ardent Portshite fan............should be great fun NOT.

Get a few quid on us being relegated. When it comes to being shit, Saints seem love setting records. Has any other team topped the Prem and been relegated the same season?

2 minutes ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Get a few quid on us being relegated. When it comes to being shit, Saints seem love setting records. Has any other team topped the Prem and been relegated the same season?

We need about 7 points to be safe (not a mission the bottom are reaching 36 points) so you would just be wasting your money

Thing is most of us joked about another 9-0 being on the cards but none of us thought it would happen in our lifetime.

Judging by Ralph's reaction tonight I think he actually did know that and that is why he won't walk away... this time.

There are only two people responsible for the two 9-0 defeats. Kat for selling and Gao for buying.

We are stuck with two owners who have no interest in football.

They won't lose any sleep over another 9-0 defeat, in fact they probably won't have watched the match or heard the result yet.  

Gao is the worst owner ever and the FA are just as bad for allowing him to pass the owners and directors fit and proper persons test.

• Like 1

Just now, The Odd Guy said:

Thing is most of us joked about another 9-0 being on the cards but none of us thought it would happen in our lifetime.

Judging by Ralph's reaction tonight I think he actually did know that and that is why he won't walk away... this time.

There are only two people responsible for the two 9-0 defeats. Kat for selling and Gao for buying.

They won't lose any sleep over another 9-0 defeat, in fact they probably won't have watched the match or heard the result yet.  

Gao is the worst owner ever and the FA are just as bad for allowing him to pass the owners and directors fit and proper persons test.

Goa wasn’t out there getting sent off. He wasnt failing to mark players, or getting injured in previous games. He wasn’t on VAR disallowing perfectly good goals, or refeering giving penalties and sending players off for dives. We have an injury list like we’ve never seen before, we’ve had to contend with two sendings off and corrupt officials for two games in a row. Tonight didn’t happen because of Goa. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Goa wasn’t out there getting sent off. He wasnt failing to mark players, or getting injured in previous games. He wasn’t on VAR disallowing perfectly good goals, or refeering giving penalties and sending players off for dives. We have an injury list like we’ve never seen before, we’ve had to contend with two sendings off and corrupt officials for two games in a row. Tonight didn’t happen because of Goa. 

Disagree. It's Gao's ownership that has left us with a threadbare squad, severely lacking in quality that, if an injury crisis occurs, would not be able to cope.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Exactly, this Goa bashing today is ridiculous. The 2 main culprits today are Mike Fucking Dean and Wankewitz.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bolokov said:

Disagree. It's Gao's ownership that has left us with a threadbare squad, severely lacking in quality that, if an injury crisis occurs, would not be able to cope.

Did Goas ownership take us top of the table, highest points tally before Christmas since koeman and earning plaudits From everywhere for being a great side up until a few days ago?

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Lallana's Left Peg said:

Not posted in years but nowhere near as bothered or worried about this result as I was Leicester.  Look at the circumstances behind tonights result:

1. Significant injuries

2. Very poor backups playing (what, our fifth choice right back and same in CM?)

3. Unfortunate marginal decisions going against us

Yes the performance was poor but the situation is not terrible - it's three lost points.  In the context of the season we're in a position that reflects our squad.

In the bigger picture we are where we are because of mistakes made in the past, and whilst it would be nice to have an owner who invested whatever turnaround we achieve is over a number of seasons.

Last thing - was highly amused at the petulance of Stephens and Armstrong towards Mike Dean 😂

This, most injuries in the league, shit decisions going against us (two games in a row btw).

I mean lets be honest better Refs in the last two games and we'd have 3 points against Villa and we'd be nowhere near 9-0, people say the players folded, but how would your confidence be playing Man Utd in form, with that prick Dean giving them literally everything going? I'd want to fucking give up, I mean that offside goal ffs, you fight back to score a goal with 10 men and FOR THE SECOND WEEK, shit VAR use robs it from you. 

It was 12 vs 11 from the start, then 12 vs 10 then 12 vs 9, losing fight in those circumstances is understandable IMO. 

It was a shitstorm of bad luck all round, I mean what the kid is doing, is that basically his fuck you to the club for not granting his transfer request? Because honestly that one needs to go because his attitude is clearly all wrong. 

Again it's how we recover from here but we need players back on the pitch, hope they are appealing that stupid red straight away. 

• Like 2

Just now, tajjuk said:

This, most injuries in the league, shit decisions going against us (two games in a row btw).

I mean lets be honest better Refs in the last two games and we'd have 3 points against Villa and we'd be nowhere near 9-0, people say the players folded, but how would your confidence be playing Man Utd in form, with that prick Dean giving them literally everything going? I'd want to fucking give up, I mean that offside goal ffs, you fight back to score a goal with 10 men and FOR THE SECOND WEEK, shit VAR use robs it from you. 

It was 12 vs 11 from the start, then 12 vs 10 then 12 vs 9, losing fight in those circumstances is understandable IMO. 

It was a shitstorm of bad luck all round, I mean what the kid is doing, is that basically his fuck you to the club for not granting his transfer request? Because honestly that one needs to go because his attitude is clearly all wrong. 

Again it's how we recover from here but we need players back on the pitch, hope they are appealing that stupid red straight away. 

13 v 9, the person on VAR is a human too

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Odd Guy said:

Why weren't people coming out with this sort of stuff a couple of months ago...? Surely the ownership was just as bad during the whole of 2020 when we were the 5th or 6th best team in the country in the calendar year...?

Edited by trousers

We are also literally get screwed over by armpits and thighs. Armpits are apparently offside (if you conveniently move the footage forward so they are) and if you save a goal bound shot with your hand but it just brushes your thigh first the its all dandy, but if a human being gently brushes a thigh again another human being they go down like they have been shot and win a penalty and we get a red card.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trousers said:

Why weren't people coming out with this sort of stuff a couple of months ago...? Surely the ownership was just as bad during 2020 when we were the 5th or 6th best team in the calendar year...?

There were. A few good results doesn't hide the fact that Gao is and never was the right investor for SFC and two 9-0 proves it. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Bolokov said:

I think the blame for our financial turmoil and recent transfer losses can easily be laid with Les Reed. We still haven't shifted out all of his dead weight that we bought for the vvd and undervalued mane sales. Gao at least got rid of him! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Thought Jankewitz looked good. Shame we'll be without him for 3 games.

In his defence.... it was still 0-0 when he was on the pitch!

After all his fuss about expecting first team football, he can at least walk away from that performance pointing out that he is untarnished by the 9 goals... 

Edited by Saint86

8 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

In his defence.... it was still 0-0 when he was on the pitch!

After all his fuss about expecting first team football, he can at least walk away from that performance pointing out that he is untarnished by the 9 goals... 

His Mum and Dad may buy that argument. I don't think anyone else will.

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

When Mike Dean went over to the pitchside monitor they didn’t show any replays, just a still image. What was the point of that? Even Dean seemed confused by what he was supposed to be looking at.

Well if he didn’t know what he was looking at how could he give it?

I thought Saturday was bordering on corrupt but after seeing that I’m certain. Dean set out to manufacture that result. As soon as he saw it was 4-0 he did everything he could to get the headline. 

I know it sounds like sour grapes but that was not an offside goal and if that’s a penalty and red then I’m a Dutchman. 

Cheats. Fine, we were shit, 6-0 would have been ok but fuck those cheats for doing this to us. 

There are many reasons why a team can lose, and as valid as many posts are, I still cannot accept that any team should concede 9 goals.

• Gao may not be ideal, but there are plenty worse. Blackburn, Coventry, Pomey, Birmingham (Carson Young), the list goes on.
  • There is rightly a lot of focus on poor VAR decisions.  But even had VAR gone on our way, we would have still have lost 8 - 1!
  • Our transfers were less than ideal, but even teams in the conference league facing premiership sides in the FA cup do not concede 9 goals.
  • When we went down to 10 men, But Ramsey was the only junior member, the rest of the team were senior players who have played and won games together.
  • When Arsenal went down to 10 men, their keeper hardly had a save to make when we played them. Many times Saints have played against 10 men, we won some, drew some, even lost some.

Like most on here I am fuming at VAR, I wish we had a stronger squad, and a billionaire owner who grew up in Southampton and spent their last penny on the team. However, whilst acknowledging our current problems, that should not detract from the fact no professional team should LOSE 9 - 0!

• Like 4

Anyone paying attention knows the midfield has been our engine room, JWP and Romeu since project restart have been a pretty solid partnership, we got lucky with Diallo as whilst not being an enforcer like Romeu he has a bit of finesse that JWP can work with and like he has with Oriel quickly had a football telepathy. To lose both of them on Saturday was bloody unlucky, Ralph knew and said before the game that this would be hard work tonight, as we know the the game got harder even sooner. There is a bit of moaning about the senior players not stepping up to the plate, I think they did what they could our engine room was running on two cylinders, Ralph couldn't shuffle the pack from the bench to get the other 2 running, Djenepo and Armstrong are not suited to that solid midfield role and we have poor Ramsey (who I thought grew into the game) had a baptism of fire. We had a ragtag and bobtail squad, 2 keepers on the bench, down to 10 men playing against £660m worth of players that have recently been playing to their potential - In a weird twist if someone said on Transfer deadline day that the whole Man U squad had been transferred to Southampton every Saints fan would be Cock-a Hoop at such a coup. They played a patient game and picked us off with the players of the calibre to exploit the merest opportunity. 

What BT failed to show us after fawning over a failed Man U attempt from every angle was passing round the box of Kleenex, was how on more than one occasion in the first half, when they cut back to live coverage we were getting set to take a corner or potentially promising free kick!!??? It would have been delightful to have seen how we got into that bizarre position.

Like everyone else VAR seems a bit off. Being cynical bugger, after FFP pretty much kicked the ladder away for any other club outside the "top 6" breaking into it - I did wonder how long it would take to manipulate VAR to also achieve the same aim - which is to ultimately protect the product that is the Premier League: Saints, Wolves, Villa, Palace, Newcastle don't secure billion pound TV deals across the globe. You only have to listen to the commentators to realise that in reality 7th down is just cannon fodder.

Hey ho

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

I know, but £5.00 would give a return of a grand. 😉

Personally, I don't recall betting against SFC. I personally wouldn't bet on its demise also. You may be right, but that's possibly not the point.

I can't believe some fans put this in the same category as last year.

Its not anywhere near the same.

We didn't have nine first team player out last time.

If the ludicrous decision to send Bednarek off hadnt happened it would have been limited to less goals.

This is not down to the owner or the manager. This is a freak result due to the rules being an ass.

• Like 3