Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

The club should definitely fork out for a more proven CB, we have the money from the Vestergaard and Ings sales and probably still have enough left over in terms of wage money after JWP’s new contract. This is a position where I don’t think we will be able to get away not having a player of genuine quality. E.G Caleta-Car.

Edited by Uncle Albert
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

The club should definitely fork out for a more proven CB, we have the money from the Vestergaard and Ings sales and probably still have enough left over in terms of wage money after JWP’s new contract. This is a position where I don’t think we will be able to get away not having a player of genuine quality. E.G Caleta-Car.

Yep not the position or time to penny pinch, gamble on young hungry and guaranteed to improve or thinking about resale value in 3 years time. Go and spend what we can on someone who will improve the team straight away

1 minute ago, Turkish said:

Yep not the position or time to penny pinch, gamble on young hungry and guaranteed to improve or thinking about resale value in 3 years time. Go and spend what we can on someone who will improve the team straight away

Yeah, no gambling on a youngster.

3 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Caleta-Car is [potentially] one of those "Wanyama" / "VVD"-type signings where the big clubs have looked and not pulled the trigger on them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Caleta-Car is [potentially] one of those "Wanyama" / "VVD"-type signings where the big clubs have looked and not pulled the trigger on them.

Don’t know anything about him but sounds too expensive 

2 minutes ago, Uncle Albert said:

Yeah, no gambling on a youngster.

It calls for a balance in my view. For CB if that's what we're talking of here then agree with you we can't affords another "one for the future", we need a player to make an impact this season.

The lb situation is slightly different in that we're looking for back up but  it's a big expectation to sign a 17 year old for this. If we're looking at a younger player to step in this season then we should be looking at a player with some experience already. If we're spending up to £5m, then the Hibs bloke (Doig) would probably be a better option than £5m on a 17 year old. The flaw in that though might be that Hibs would want the bulk of the reported £3.5 -4m sooner than we might be paying Everton depending on progress.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

It calls for a balance in my view. For CB if that's what we're talking of here then agree with you we can't affords another "one for the future", we need a player to make an impact this season.

The lb situation is slightly different in that we're looking for back up but  it's a big expectation to sign a 17 year old for this. If we're looking at a younger player to step in this season then we should be looking at a player with some experience already. If we're spending up to £5m, then the Hibs bloke (Doig) would probably be a better option than £5m on a 17 year old. The flaw in that though might be that Hibs would want the bulk of the reported £3.5 -4m sooner than we might be paying Everton depending on progress.

Yeah this is what I meant.

7 minutes ago, Badger said:

Exactly. A back up young left back is fine. But we can’t be gambling on that for a centre back where we need a first choice quality signing better than we’ve got

• Like 1

If we want established back up then that means we need a first teamer, a senior backup and an up and coming youngster, which is not only more expensive but means we probably won't get such a promising young player as they'll be third in line. Going with just two players is more risky for first team quality but increases our chances of making a big sale in the future, which is essential for us financially

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

No clue. But given livramento looks fab the club has earned a bit of credit in the bank with me if they decide this lad for £5m is worth it too.

I think it might be sensible to calm down a bit on Livramento as well.

If he was dreadful vs Everton and there were grumbles you wouldn't have been able to move for people here saying "how dare people write him off after only a game etc etc etc typical knee jerk reaction etc etc".

But instead he had a great game and that's it, he's brilliant and that's that. Congratulations everyone in the club, great signing, let's get more kids from big clubs.

Pretty much exactly the same kind of knee-jerk reaction as if he played terribly, just the opposite response.

That one performance (in my mind he was good for the first half) certainly does not give the club licence just to buy highly regarded kids that aren't quite highly regarded enough for the big clubs to keep them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

If he was dreadful vs Everton and there were grumbles you wouldn't have been able to move for people here saying "how dare people write him off after only a game etc etc etc typical knee jerk reaction etc etc".

But instead he had a great game and that's it, he's brilliant and that's that. Congratulations everyone in the club, great signing, let's get more kids from big clubs.

Pretty much exactly the same kind of knee-jerk reaction as if he played terribly, just the opposite response.

That one performance (in my mind he was good for the first half) certainly does not give the club licence just to buy highly regarded kids that aren't quite highly regarded enough for the big clubs to keep them.

Agreed. We shouldn’t go overboard on Tino.

Players often have a really promising start when nobody has heard of them, and then the oppo get clued up and suss out how to nullify them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Seen plenty of kids have a good first few games then disappear. He was good but I’ve seen him be undroppable by some and suggested in every frigging position on the pitch from centre back to attacking midfield (number 10 as the hipsters call it) It’s looks promising  but let’s not get too carried away and think he’s the answer or every problem position we have. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SNSUN said:

I hope we sign Caleta-Car, but I hope we don’t give him number 10, or the media will be making 10cc jokes.

Im not in love with that idea.

john cleese play GIF

spacer.png

If we get someone really good it’ll take pressure of salisu, he could have a dreadlock holiday now and again

(yeah it’s awful)

20 minutes ago, verlaine1979 said:

As someone else said up thread, it sounds like it's either a promising 17 y.o. investment LB, or no LB.

But from the figures mentioned we could buy a 19 year old with more experience and closer to a first team place you would have thought (Doig) for less than a 17 year old. 

MLG NOTE: Obviously based solely on figures in the reports so can't be taken as gospel (if MLG will permit that phrase).

Just now, Badger said:

But from the figures mentioned we could buy a 19 year old with more experience and closer to a first team place you would have thought (Doig) for less than a 17 year old. 

MLG NOTE: Obviously based solely on figures in the reports so can't be taken as gospel (if MLG will permit that phrase).

If he's good enough, he's old enough, though. Personally I've never seen the kid play.

5 minutes ago, SNSUN said:

I hope we sign Caleta-Car, but I hope we don’t give him number 10, or the media will be making 10cc jokes.

Im not in love with that idea.

I'll bang the drum once more about signing Doig from Hibs as our back up LB.

Solely so we can call him Deputy Doig.

(Age thing...).

• Haha 1

Just now, Ex Lion Tamer said:

If he's good enough, he's old enough, though. Personally I've never seen the kid play.

True of course but which sounds closer to being what we need this season, a 17 yr old with no first team experience, or a 19 year old who has played first team football in Scotland and is highly rated.

Hopefully our scouts will know.

5 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Would love us to sign Caleta-Car.  A statement of intent after JWP new deal etc.

However, I fully expect it to be a mediocre Championship CB instead and go cheap.

A statement of intent after tying down a mediocre player (all be it with a good free kick) to a five year deal?.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Would love us to sign Caleta-Car.  A statement of intent after JWP new deal etc.

24 year old, two footed, barrel chested, tall centre back, with 280 games and international experience. How much do Marseille want for him. I've read £14m, which seems in our ball park. Not sure why he'd want to join us mind.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

24 year old, two footed, barrel chested, tall centre back, with 280 games and international experience. How much do Marseille want for him. I've read £14m, which seems in our ball park. Not sure why he'd want to join us mind.

'Stepping stone'

1 minute ago, Viking Saint said:

'Stepping stone'

fine by me. Much prefer we sign players that are too good for us and dint stay, than not good enough and cant get rid. I've not seen him play, but he looked powerful in the youtube video I just watched. Did he really turn down Liverpool? Feels a massive step down to us, but who knows...

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

'Stepping stone'

If he goes on for big money in 2 years, scratch that, even 1 year, fine by me. Keep the team in the league if he settles in quickly. With uncertain/distant ownership the club has to have sensible horizons. What will certify relegation is another Salisu type ‘he will come good in a few months’. No good to the club in this situation and basically gone already as a PL club if they do that, the new CB has to hit the ground running. 

Edited by saint1977

7 minutes ago, Chez said:

fine by me. Much prefer we sign players that are too good for us and dint stay, than not good enough and cant get rid. I've not seen him play, but he looked powerful in the youtube video I just watched. Did he really turn down Liverpool? Feels a massive step down to us, but who knows...

I read he didn't turn down Liverpool, Marseille cancelled the deal because they couldn't get a replacement. I think I read he had a private plane booked for the medical. 

2 hours ago, egg said:

Each to their own. Livramento is special and different and if the Everton lad is Livramento mk 2 that'd be great, but give me some experienced back up all day long...particularly as Perraud looked like a fish up a tree on Saturday and has yet to settle at this level. 

Yes, LIvramento is special, and looks like one of those precocious players that come along now and again, eg Bale, Shaw, a young Theo even.  That's why it would be a good idea to find a place for him in the wingback/wide attacking role to ensure the best RB the Club has had for a long time is in the team too.   If the Club overdoes the recruitment of promising young players at the expense of experience and a bit of here-and-now quality it will start to look like a getting ready for life in the Championship, because most of the younger talent will either be not ready or not good enough.

Just now, tajjuk said:

I read he didn't turn down Liverpool, Marseille cancelled the deal because they couldn't get a replacement. I think I read he had a private plane booked for the medical. 

if I was signing for Liverpool in January, but for the actions of my club, I am not sure I'd be considering Saints six months later. Feels beyond us, sadly.

11 minutes ago, Chez said:

if I was signing for Liverpool in January, but for the actions of my club, I am not sure I'd be considering Saints six months later. Feels beyond us, sadly.

Maybe but Liverpool were desperate for centre-backs in Jan and now have 4 very good ones.  If he wants to join the PL well most of the big clubs have signed new centre backs. Utd - Varane, Liverpool -Konate, Arsenal -Wright, Spurs - Romero. Man City have 3 world class ones plus Ake as 4th choice, and Chelsea have Silva, Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma and Azpilicueta.

Even Leicester have 3 very good ones in Soyuncu, Fofana and Evans, even though they have injuries so only signed Vestergaard as a squad player.

So if he wants to join the PL and actually play to prove himself, then there are not that many options. You are talking like us, Burnley and West Ham looking for centre-backs I think, maybe Palace. Everton seem to have ideas above their station and are looking at Koulibaly apparently. 

We'd basically be selling him a stepping stone, join at 24, move in 3 years at 27 to one of the big boys, Liverpool will probably be looking at Van Dijk replacements by then.....

Edited by tajjuk

39 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Maybe but Liverpool were desperate for centre-backs in Jan and now have 4 very good ones.  If he wants to join the PL well most of the big clubs have signed new centre backs. Utd - Varane, Liverpool -Konate, Arsenal -Wright, Spurs - Romero. Man City have 3 world class ones plus Ake as 4th choice, and Chelsea have Silva, Rudiger, Christensen, Zouma and Azpilicueta.

Even Leicester have 3 very good ones in Soyuncu, Fofana and Evans, even though they have injuries so only signed Vestergaard as a squad player.

So if he wants to join the PL and actually play to prove himself, then there are not that many options. You are talking like us, Burnley and West Ham looking for centre-backs I think, maybe Palace. Everton seem to have ideas above their station and are looking at Koulibaly apparently. 

We'd basically be selling him a stepping stone, join at 24, move in 3 years at 27 to one of the big boys, Liverpool will probably be looking at Van Dijk replacements by then.....

Fair point. West Ham heavily linked. Not many clubs in Europe with money to spend. Maybe it could happen. Like the physical attributes. Looks stronger than Worrall, and from the small bit of footage I have seen he looks like he pings a decent ball too.  Not sure Worrall he has that in his locker. 

12 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Caleta-Car played for Croatia v England in the Euros so everyone has seen him play. Whether they remember him or not is another matter.

I missed that game (playing cricket at the time). got any insight on his ability? Did he smother Kane?

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Very true. Was close to securing a move to Liverpool last season so he knows hes on the radar of top clubs (much better than us). That being said I wonder if he would have spoken to Lovren. Could see us as the stepping stone to a bigger move similar to Lovren. 2 years PL experience with us and then make the next step

1 minute ago, woodsaint1 said:

Very true. Was close to securing a move to Liverpool last season so he knows hes on the radar of top clubs (much better than us). That being said I wonder if he would have spoken to Lovren. Could see us as the stepping stone to a bigger move similar to Lovren. 2 years PL experience with us and then make the next step

I expect Goa is already liking his lips at the £80m transfer fee, but forgetting he has to buy him for more than we like to pay first 

18 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Has there been any credible links to this bloke? 

No, it’s someone that’s been mentioned as on the list in some sources but no credible or concrete  links to anyone. Such a shame a few on here tried to be smart when I was sharing my info as they’d love to know what I know now. Oh well they laughed and knew best 

7 minutes ago, Turkish said:

No, it’s someone that’s been mentioned as on the list in some sources but no credible or concrete  links to anyone. Such a shame a few on here tried to be smart when I was sharing my info as they’d love to know what I know now. Oh well they laughed and knew best 

Just share it with those who really appreciate you xxx

as a reminder. Saints have been speaking to Caleta-Cars' agents recently.

he is with ICM Stellar, as are JWP and Adam Armstrong.

Caleta Car has a previous association with Kitzbichler.

It certainly would be the most logical approach to make.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, niceandfriendly said:

Same! Imagine being somebody who uses this kind of terminology though.  :shakey:

"He's up there with your Messi's, your Ronaldo's, your Henry's". 

Such an ugly use of our beautiful language.

To be fair, there has been multiple Ronaldos...