Summer Transfer Window 2021

Dusic

🚨| Southampton’s €7million move for Torino defender Lyanco will be the last piece of business the club do this month for the first-team; a left-back for the B team could still arrive #saintsfc [@TomLeachHL]

cheapskates

2 minutes ago, Billy the Kidd said:

Maybe we don't have much money.

Or maybe we are keeping options open until the end of the window, and don't want to publicise that.

Just like some people should go see a doctor about their knees jerking so much.

What, like this? 

On 19/08/2021 at 11:31, Turkish said:

Cahill to Bournemouth on a one year deal. Cant help but feel we've missed a trick here.

BTK- We want him next season when we swap places with Bompey.

4 minutes ago, DT said:

What, like this? 

On 19/08/2021 at 11:31, Turkish said:

Cahill to Bournemouth on a one year deal. Cant help but feel we've missed a trick here.

BTK- We want him next season when we swap places with Bompey.

Oh bless, DT - did you think I was being serious 😂

I was joking, in case you needed it pointing out. 

Great work going back and finding my post though, I must mean a lot to you 🥰

8 minutes ago, sambosa75 said:

Decent enough business.  Still can't help thinking we could really do with a bit more experience and know-how in the middle of the park to play alongside Romeu.  Still think the side looks pretty powderpuff.

Yup. The “2 players for each position” shouldn’t include bodges, IMO.

Maybe we’ve gone cheaper for the CB to help fund a move for that Thierry Small chap (rumoured to be £5m).

A lot of hopes being pinned on this guy, let’s hope he is our rock… if he’s not, we’re fcked.

Edited by ErwinK1961
  • Confused 1

So, where does this leave the Saints squad? I would say it is something like this (players only listed in primary positions):

GK: McCarthy / Forster / Lewis           (3 players for one position)

LB: Perraud / McQueen (Possibly Thierry Small or another LB to follow?)   (2 players for one position + cover provided by Stephens, Djenepo, Diallo, Livramento, etc.)

RB: Walker-Peters / Livramento / Valery     (3 players for one position)

CB: Bednarek / Salisu / Lyanco / Stephens  (4 players for 2 positions)

DM: Romeu / Ward-Prowse / Smallbone / Diallo  (4 players for 2 positions)

AM: S.Armstrong / Djenepo / Redmond / Walcott / Elyounoussi   (5 players for 2 positions)

CF: A.Armstrong / Adams / Tella / Obafemi / Broja / Long   (6 players for 2 positions)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wimborne_saint said:

Now, I'm usually Mr. Positive, and I know this isn't a done deal, but if he is the only CB we bring in this window it really does scream cheap option. Add to the fact he is still relatively inexperienced (only 46 Serie appearances over the past 4 season, including 21 starts and 2 sub last season) and I really don't think he is what we need right now at all. I wouldn't write him off until he has been given a chance to show what he what he can do, but neither would I be expecting him to come in and shore-up our defence at all. Personally, at this moment in time, I would be much happier with any of Caleta-Car, Adarabioyo or Worrall.

That said, looking at Lyanco's stats from last season, it would seem that he will fit in well here. In his 25 appearances last season (23 Serie A +2 cup matches) Torino managed just the 4 clean sheets and conceded 50 goals - including a 7-0 stuffing at home by Milan in the last game of the season!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

So, where does this leave the Saints squad? I would say it is something like this (players only listed in primary positions):

LB: Perraud / McQueen (Possibly Thierry Small or another LB to follow?)   (2 players for one position + cover provided by Stephens, Djenepo, Diallo, Livramento, etc.)

AM: S.Armstrong / Djenepo / Redmond / Walcott / Elyounoussi   (5 players for 2 positions)

CF: A.Armstrong / Adams / Tella / Obafemi / Broja / Long   (6 players for 2 positions)

11 of the above players I would class as surplus to requirements

8 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

So our scouts/Ralph saw the long diagonal passes but ignored his part in the 7-0 defeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izgp4DDDyFI

Looking at the highlights he gave away the pen, and whilst I wouldn't say he looked amazing, the other 6 goals seemed largely down to his teammates not marking or tracking runners. Plus just some very good finishing/movement from Milan. I don't know the circumstances but they looked they just gave up a bit, was very easy for Milan at the end. 

Edited by tajjuk

9 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Looking at the highlights he gave away the pen, and whilst I wouldn't say he looked amazing, the other 6 goals seemed largely down to his teams not marking or tracking runners. 

He got smashed for pace on goal #6, had a fair headstart and was comfortably outrun. He also is at fault for #7 he moves his leg out the way and then tries some weird backheal well after it's passed him, no idea what he's doing. So we have one where he gives away a pen, one where he is too slow in the high line, and one where he shows he has a big mistake in him. It's like all the worst bits of our current CB's

Edited by TWar

14 minutes ago, adriansfc said:

So our scouts/Ralph saw the long diagonal passes but ignored his part in the 7-0 defeat.

To be fair, Leicester's scouts did something very similar recently. 

I seem to recall Alisson let 7 in before Liverpool signed him (I think against them). Turned out alright I think 🤔 

9 hours ago, Nolan said:

as a reminder. Saints have been speaking to Caleta-Cars' agents recently.

he is with ICM Stellar, as are JWP and Adam Armstrong.

Caleta Car has a previous association with Kitzbichler.

It certainly would be the most logical approach to make.

I'm hoping this is the case. This move for the Brazilian cb from torino im hoping is a smokescreen for this. Caleta-Car is the marquee cb signing that we need. 

Edited by davefizzy14

5 minutes ago, TWar said:

He got smashed for pace on goal #6, had a fair headstart and was comfortably outrun.

Yeh he did but to be fair to him Leao is quick and he was a sub with fresh legs.

Edited by tajjuk

2 hours ago, Chez said:

another 24 year old center back. Watford heavily linked this week - supposedly in negotiations.

His 5 minute youtube video is pretty much all with the ball at his feet. Right footed, very comfortable. Dribbles out and pings long balls all day long. No idea if he can defend though. 

Yeah, looks as though he'd become our most skilled player and best passer but not enough on the footage I've seen to determine whether he's a good old fashioned last ditch defender who can tackle, head, mark opponents, read the game and boot it into row Z when appropriate which is what we are in desperate need of.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Leao is quick and he was a sub with fresh legs. 

Unfortunately the prem has a lot of quick players, and 5 subs, not sure its a good excuse to be beaten for pace when you have a 5 yard headstart. Unless we have to sub him off before his legs get too tired.

48 minutes ago, SaintJackoInHurworth said:

29 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

Where do you get 11? I would agree a few but not 11!! The ones I would say are probably deemed surplus are:

Lewis, McQueen (possibly though I personally hope that by January he might begin to rediscover something of his form from several years ago before he got injured), Valery, Elyounoussi, Long and possibly Obafemi - that is 6 players.

Who are your other 5? While there may be several players you do not personally like, all of the others are definitely NOT surplus to requirements and, like it or not, will form the core of Saints squad this season, even if only as reserves and subs in case of injury.

Edited by SaintJackoInHurworth

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Unfortunately the prem has a lot of quick players, and 5 subs, not sure its a good excuse to be beaten for pace when you have a 5 yard headstart. Unless we have to sub him off before his legs get too tired.

How many rapid centre-backs are there in the league? Plus pace is extremely difficult to tell from just one clip like that, just giving him the benefit of the doubt. 

Edited by tajjuk

Underwhelmed, I was really hoping all the Vestergaard money plus what was left over after the Ings/Armstrong deals would have been used to buy a really decent, proven central defender…….but no we go cheap again.

This is only ending one way, I really fear for this season

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Killers Knee said:

You named 28 players, you think we can go the season with a squad of 17? 😨🙈 I'd say about 7 are surplus barring a major injury crisis.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, tajjuk said:

Looking at the highlights he gave away the pen, and whilst I wouldn't say he looked amazing, the other 6 goals seemed largely down to his teammates not marking or tracking runners. Plus just some very good finishing/movement from Milan. I don't know the circumstances but they looked they just gave up a bit, was very easy for Milan at the end. 

So when he plays for us he'll be in the same boat with team mates who do  not mark or track runners

Not sure you could exonerate him for many of those goals. Looked to me as though he did far too much backing off which is exactly what we don't want. We need someone who reads the game and gets in the face of opponents and attacks the ball. This guy looks to have lots of silky skill buy may not be the aggressive, no-nonsense defender that is going to help resolve our problems. It's concerning but, if he does sign, I guess we have to see what he offers.

1 hour ago, tajjuk said:

So when he plays for us he'll be in the same boat with team mates who do  not mark or track runners

1 hour ago, miserableoldgit said:

1 hour ago, SaintsLoyal said:

Is Matt crocker up to the job ? im beginning to think he doesnt.

At least this forum means that rather than rely on the judgement of one of the country's top talent spotters watching the player live over several weeks we have people who can make better judgements about how good a player is from a 7 minute youtube clip from one game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, Sideways Jim said:

Dual nationality, Brazilian/Serbian 

Not the reason.

2 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Curious given lyanco hasn’t played any senior international football, how does he pass the work permit barrier?

23 appearances in Serie A last season pretty much guarantees a work permit under the new rules. Sangaré would have got one had the new rules been in place a year ago.

• Like 3

I'll be honest I'm not thrilled if this is the great hope for our defence. If looks like he has potential and could be decent in time but we badly need someone to come in and look class quickly and be able to marshall the defense. Given the options that are out there this doesn't seem like the best we could do and it seems like we are buying with an eye to sell in the future.