Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread

LGTL

Gawd, anyone who thinks the manager will be happy with all aspects of our game must not know how the world works. He doesn't have to jump up and down in public just to make sure that _YOU_ know he is angry. Do the players who made mistakes not realise? Give me strength. You'd rather he concentrate on all the negative aspects in his public pronouncements? Do you expect him to bawl out people in public. I hope you don't manage people like that.

Of course he's going to concentrate on the positive aspects or would you prefer he go into the changing room and tell them they are all useless? Of course they can and should have done better. No doubt they'll go through the tapes and they'll all be embarrassed, but improvement will only come through work, not abuse and hand-wringing.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Noddy club mentality on show here. Let’s go to City, doff our caps and let them do what they want. Afterwards we can praise our heroes for keeping the score down to 5. Well done lads, proud of you, after all there’s such a big gap between us. Cheltenham gave them more of a game than we did, Nigel’s newly promoted side did, WBA did, but it doesn’t matter because city are soooo much better than us. 

And we gave other teams more of a game than some other teams. So what? It proves diddly-squat.

3 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

Or they could have beaten us by 5, like Burnley and West Brom. Instead they only beat us by 3, like they did against Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Olympiakos, Marseille (twice), Burnley (again) and Wolves. Still, it was their reserve side, having to rely on sh*t like Foden, De Bruyne, Silva and Gundogan.

Well said!

• Like 2

After trying to wade through Turkish's hate mail,  I thought* might some comment of the match.

If McCarthy continues to be Ralph's first choice, then we need a quick re-think.  He might surely have done... a bit better.

However, watching replays of the action, it seemed as though he was moving in slow-motion on occasions.

I'm sure there was some truth in Pep's comment about how he was impressed by our first half performance, but clearly

City had players who could finish... .and we didn't.  As he remarked..they paid the money and got the right players who could.

Good points?...Salisu looked better at LB than he does as a CB,  but clearly Bertrand is not an option at RB. 

Jack Stephens looks better in midfield than he does in the back line, and Diallo continues to improve.

Ché Adams ..." has taken the top off the Ketchup bottle ", but really should stay upfield, and JWP clocked up most miles again. 

I liked Ralph's comment about .." playing Champions League matches on Wednesdays " ..and returning to reality at weekends, 

and going after the 3 points.   Of course the result was disappointing, if not somewhat predictable but if only we could play 

two halves like the first 45 mins. we'd all be happier, regardless of results.  Right now, there is no quick fix now and the problems

at the back AND those up front will (hopefully) be resolved in the summer.

3 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Regardless of how good they are, you can still make it difficult for them. You can still tackle, still block shots, still get stuck in. Our defending was woeful. If they needed to score 9 they would have done. It’s pathetic that the majority will accept that, just because they’re better than us. They barely broke sweat, half of them didn’t even need a shower after the game. 

Not what Pep said after the game.

2 hours ago, DT said:

Epitomised by the way we were knocking the ball about at the end, seemingly content with the job done, and keeping the score below 9. When we had our decent opening spell they also seemed happy to not concede, on many occasions knocking it all the way back to McCarthy from well inside their half, playing propoganda football, as the wee Gordon Strachan used to call it. It's all show, and then crumbles when they deign to attack. Against Brighton I will be looking for some grit, and balls, but am not holding my breath. Too many soft players, with a manager whose style does nothing to adapt or, occasionally, actually grind out a result. No, there aren't many alternatives, and I'd prefer to have Ralph, but god I wish he wouldn't come off a 5-2 defeat and say he was happy how we played. It's like a parallel universe.

Good use of sweeping generalisations. Clearly Ralph wasn't happy about every aspect of the game and he said so in interviews. Still, that doesn't suit the agenda of the anti-Ralph brigade on here. 

1 hour ago, suewhistle said:

Gawd, anyone who thinks the manager will be happy with all aspects of our game must not know how the world works. He doesn't have to jump up and down in public just to make sure that _YOU_ know he is angry. Do the players who made mistakes not realise? Give me strength. You'd rather he concentrate on all the negative aspects in his public pronouncements? Do you expect him to bawl out people in public. I hope you don't manage people like that.

Of course he's going to concentrate on the positive aspects or would you prefer he go into the changing room and tell them they are all useless? Of course they can and should have done better. No doubt they'll go through the tapes and they'll all be embarrassed, but improvement will only come through work, not abuse and hand-wringing.

Sensible post.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Totton Saint said:

When a manager says he enjoyed watching his team lose 5-2 we really are in trouble.

Exactly. Noddy club behaviour.

Mind you if we’d only lost 3-2 he might of been close to tears. 

What is it with the club, softness running through it and yet some lap it up. Like good little children we know our place and isn’t it lovely that Pep said some nice things about our lovely boys and Ralph. A playing squad full of Son in Laws. Alex Ferguson only said nice things about managers and sides that were no threat to Utd. I’d rather opposition managers were bemoaning our nastiness and ruthlessness, instead of being condescending. Of course Pep likes us, we know our place and show him way way too much respect. I bet he won’t like Everton or West Ham quite so much next time he faces them. Does anyone seriously believe it was anything other than a stroll in the park for city, and had they needed 9 they’d have got them. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Good use of sweeping generalisations. Clearly Ralph wasn't happy about every aspect of the game and he said so in interviews. Still, that doesn't suit the agenda of the anti-Ralph brigade on here. 

Which generalisations, just so I know?

Love, 'I'd prefer to have Ralph', of the 'anti-Ralph' brigade

19 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What is it with the club, softness running through it and yet some lap it up. Like good little children we know our place and isn’t it lovely that Pep said some nice things about our lovely boys and Ralph. A playing squad full of Son in Laws. Alex Ferguson only said nice things about managers and sides that were no threat to Utd. I’d rather opposition managers were bemoaning our nastiness and ruthlessness, instead of being condescending. Of course Pep likes us, we know our place and show him way way too much respect. I bet he won’t like Everton or West Ham quite so much next time he faces them. Does anyone seriously believe it was anything other than a stroll in the park for city, and had they needed 9 they’d have got them. 

You do know that not everything a football manager says in the press is the full truth, right? I mean, when somebody says, "player X isn't for sale," it means they're trying to get the best price. Or when Ralph says he enjoy bit of the way we played, he is simply trying to put a positive outlook to the outside world, so that he and his players wont get crucified in the media.

3 hours ago, BARCELONASAINT said:

Finding it hard to understand why so many are angry about last night, angry with the performance and angry with the team selection!!??

I was absolutely delighted to RH rest the likes of Diallo, KWP and Minime and not risk them getting inured again after just coming back on Saturday against Sheffield Utd.

It was absolutely the correct call with Brighton coming up and a game we realistically should expect to win.

As far as the performance went I thought we played some good sharp football considering we had Stephens in the middle, Bertrand out of position at RB, Salisu playing LB and Redmond who goes backwards with every game he plays.

Agree with this. We're in a freak situation with the schedule, injuries and state of the squad. A club our size should usually never rest players for an away tie at the best team in the land but it does make sense to make sure key players are fresh for the Brighton game. The performance was better than I expected given the circumstances.

• Like 1

I can’t complain as before the Sheff Utd game I said that this was the lowest priority of the three games.  If we draw or win against Brighton (don’t forget onus is on them to catch us) it’s been a decent week.

Thought Redmond, Adams, JWP and after coming on Diallo were our best players.  We played some very good stuff going forward.

However an admittedly destabilised defensive line up didn’t work, and for me Salisu was very poor.  Wont over react to this as remember how bad Vest looked when he arrived, but in my opinion he has significant improvement needed and isn’t a fullback.

1 hour ago, Totton Saint said:

I thought Redders played quite well up front with some sharp passing. It all went pear shaped when he was put out wide by big H. Our penalty award was after his shot was pushed for a corner.

IMO He has been a little better, but only measured against  the low standards he has set. I don't know what has happened to his pace, he seems to have no acceleration and never wins a race to the ball. I don't know if his confidence has been shot. Hopefully he continues to improve to the point where he makes a significant difference, rather than doing the odd good thing here and there. 

3 minutes ago, Forester said:

I can’t complain as before the Sheff Utd game I said that this was the lowest priority of the three games.  If we draw or win against Brighton (don’t forget onus is on them to catch us) it’s been a decent week.

Thought Redmond, Adams, JWP and after coming on Diallo were our best players.  We played some very good stuff going forward.

However an admittedly destabilised defensive line up didn’t work, and for me Salisu was very poor.  Wont over react to this as remember how bad Vest looked when he arrived, but in my opinion he has significant improvement needed and isn’t a fullback.

Is het tall enough for a modern CB, I was by his lack of height surprised when I first saw him play? He may make a good DM, some of his tackling and distribution was pretty good in the second half. Bit of a strange one, to small for a CB, too big for a FB. 

39 minutes ago, DT said:

Which generalisations, just so I know?

Love, 'I'd prefer to have Ralph', of the 'anti-Ralph' brigade

Sweeping generalisations like 'I wish he wouldn't come off a 5-2 defeat and say he was happy how we played' That is a generalisation because it omits the fact that Ralph also mentioned the parts of the game he wasn't happy with.

35 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

You do know that not everything a football manager says in the press is the full truth, right? I mean, when somebody says, "player X isn't for sale," it means they're trying to get the best price. Or when Ralph says he enjoy bit of the way we played, he is simply trying to put a positive outlook to the outside world, so that he and his players wont get crucified in the media.

Apart from when Pep praises us, that’s 100% truthful with no spin a5 all.

Maybe after our run of results, the soft underbelly that runs right through the side and the constant mistake we make over and over, it’s time for Ralph to give the players a bit of clog in the media. This positive spin being put on the performances doesn’t seem to be achieving the desired results. 

Personally, I don’t buy into this protect the players in public roast them in private bull anyway. They don’t look they’re getting clog behind closed doors to me. The manager, his staff and the senior pros all seem way too nice to me. 

We’re a lovely little club. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

it’s time for Ralph to give the players a bit of clog in the media

Yep. That always works out for the best and never results in the manager losing the dressing room.

22 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

This positive spin being put on the performances doesn’t seem to be achieving the desired results

Well we're midtable in the country's top division, I'd say it's working okay. Unless you think a bit of hairdryer treatment would have us top 8 and above the likes of Spurs and Arsenal?

24 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

They don’t look they’re getting clog behind closed doors to me. The manager, his staff and the senior pros all seem way too nice to me.

Complete conjecture.

• Like 4

The one thing a Manager must never do, is Criticise his players in public. I well remember Redknapp doing this and thought at the time 'its not the players mush, its you.' Hence,Ralph will keep his criticisms behind closed doors. I wasn't happy with the way we gifted them not one, not two , BUT three goals. We can't keep doing this.Responsibility lies with the owners who have spent so little and until we strengthen our squad we will continue to field misplaced players. Two situations stand out for me from last night. McCarthy pissing about rather than hoofing it and Che not thinking that the ball is supposed to be going forward not sideways. All in all, a typical Saints performance which doesn't augur well with those of us who have experienced this many times over the years. In my case, sixty four years. However,I will always be a Saint no matter what the division in which we perform. I have hopes for three points on Sunday against the Shitehawks. We can do it.

Old duck hunter is a bit of a dinosaur, thinking slagging off in the press is the way to go....🙄

Next he will be suggesting screaming obscenities at the players from the touchline is a good idea too

Get Warnock in

Some never understand football has moved on since the 70's

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toussaint said:

Is het tall enough for a modern CB, I was by his lack of height surprised when I first saw him play? He may make a good DM, some of his tackling and distribution was pretty good in the second half. Bit of a strange one, to small for a CB, too big for a FB. 

He is 191cm - 6ft 2.26inches

I would say that is tall enough for a CB

How can someone be too big to be FB? (Except, obviously, if you mean too obese).

It's good that Salisu got more time on the pitch and more experience last night. A couple of months back many were saying he was the next Forren, as in he would never play for us and be moved on. I think in the few appearances he has made he has demonstrated his speed and strength, as well as willingness to play out of defence with the ball at his feet. He is also good in the air. Unsurprisingly, he isn't yet got used to the speed of the Premier League (compared to Spain) and has shown himself to be a bit rash with some challenges. 

All in all, he has good attributes, but is far from the finished product - exactly as most right thinking people thought would be the case when we signed him.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, suewhistle said:

Now, now, Sue stop with these sensible posts. You will only upset the handwringers, pessimists, trolls and sexists on here.

1 minute ago, Minsk said:

He is 191cm - 6ft 2.26inches

I would say that is tall enough for a CB

How can someone be too big to be FB? (Except, obviously, if you mean too obese).

It's good that Salisu got more time on the pitch and more experience last night. A couple of months back many were saying he was the next Forren, as in he would never play for us and be moved on. I think in the few appearances he has made he has demonstrated his speed and strength, as well as willingness to play out of defence with the ball at his feet. He is also good in the air. Unsurprisingly, he isn't yet got used to the speed of the Premier League (compared to Spain) and has shown himself to be a bit rash with some challenges. 

All in all, he has good attributes, but is far from the finished product - exactly as most right thinking people thought would be the case when we signed him.

I don't mean obese, I mean he's a big unit, which generally full backs aren't. He doesn't look 6'2, if he is, he is. But he looks considerably smaller than the rest of our CB's and seemed a lot smaller than Calvert Lewin who is also quoted as 6'2. 

8 minutes ago, Chapel End said:

Old duck hunter is a bit of a dinosaur, thinking slagging off in the press is the way to go....🙄

Next he will be suggesting screaming obscenities at the players from the touchline is a good idea too

Get Warnock in

Some never understand football has moved on since the 70's

Oh brilliant, slinging insults.

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

bring back the Alehouse brawlers

2 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Maybe after our run of results, the soft underbelly that runs right through the side and the constant mistake we make over and over, it’s time for Ralph to give the players a bit of clog in the media. This positive spin being put on the performances doesn’t seem to be achieving the desired results. 

Personally, I don’t buy into this protect the players in public roast them in private bull anyway. They don’t look they’re getting clog behind closed doors to me. The manager, his staff and the senior pros all seem way too nice to me. 

Obviously to small and noddy for you.

Clearly the team that he selected executed the game plan well enough for him to be pleased with the performance. Some of it was woeful though. The defending had no conviction and there were a lot of players walking about. JWP & Daillo (when he came on) were the only two for me that could have been wearing blue. I think Forster in goal and a few players throwing themselves in front of the ball and we might have cut the gap down by a goal or two cos it was too easy for them. Forster may have taken Foden out properly too!
Let's say we get past Bournemouth - we could play this lot again in the semi. As a Saints fan I would expect the score to be more respectable. 

4 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

So, what did you think when we were top after 12 games or whatever it was?

We were never going to win the league, and we wont finish bottom 3.  At theend fo the season we may make top half.

Just wondered if there was anything ever nice or positive coming out of that hole of yours.

We just played one fo the best teams ever. They beat us. We changed the line up as the other fixtures we are about to play over the next 4 weeks are more important to us, and we’ve come off the back of probably our worst ever injury list.

I fucking hope you dont work for the Samaritans 🤨 

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

I don't mean obese, I mean he's a big unit, which generally full backs aren't. He doesn't look 6'2, if he is, he is. But he looks considerably smaller than the rest of our CB's and seemed a lot smaller than Calvert Lewin who is also quoted as 6'2. 

He was playing next to Vesty. Think 99.9% of players would look smaller next to him 😂

10 hours ago, disconnect said:

Looked like a few players knew the battle was up before the whistle was blown. Really sad to see, but that's what happens when a few of them know they'll be in the team no matter what. 

Who are you talking about and what made you think that? 

What I saw was the whole team press high up the pitch from the off, put them under pressure and made them turn the ball over. We were brave on the ball, passed the ball well and looked pretty good. We didn't sit back limply, didn't allow them to dictate or look overwhelmed in any way.  It didn't last of course and there was plenty to criticise, but the idea that players had risen the white flag before starting doesn't resonate.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

It still shocks me how many of our fans are still trying to defend the indefensible. Any other club would have ditched Hasenhüttl long ago. The very fact that he smiles and joshes his way through humiliations and spends much time ingratiating himself with top club managers tells us all we ned to know. He is so deeply entrenched in Saints management set-up that he senses he is fireproof, Semmens can't boot him out simply because they are in this together right up to the neck.

The one unknown factor is Gao. Why hasn't he intervened yet? That's the question.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 2

On 10/03/2021 at 22:54, S-Clarke said:

This is how I see it and why I'm behind Ralph. I see that we have a philosophy, a way of playing, something everyone has seemingly bought into.

We are let down by the lack of quality and squad depth. That's it. The way we play, the way we approach games in the main is a progressive and modern way....but if we had a tad more quality in the back 4 and up front/wide, then I think the story would be amazing.

I prefer seeing a team with a plan and a way to play than an Allardyce play for a 1-0/long ball bullshit, which is very short-termism and doesn't get you anywhere. What's letting us down is the lack of quality and depth, not the manager's ability or his philosophy - in my opinion

Exactly. 👍

I missed this game so can't fairly offer an assessment, but I know what I've seem from watching the vast majority of them.

Earlier in the season (and post lockdown last), with a mostly full strength side who are well drilled in what is expected of them, you can cleary see what Ralph calls our "automatisms" at work. They all know exactly what they're supposed to be doing in any given scenario, and the confidence this builds for the regular side putting the game plan into practice week in week out is clear to see.

I really don't need to list all the reasons why this confidence and trust in our automatisms has been dashed and broken down of late, as anyone who follows us well knows the shite hands we've been dealt recently.

In short, as we start getting a settled first eleven out there again over the coming weeks, the onfield connections, chemistry, and old rhythms will start clicking into place again, and performances will improve. Clearly though if we wish to be able to maintain the kind of football we've so enjoyed earlier in the season, then we need proper investment in the squad, so we have more than about thirteen players capable of doing what Ralph asks of them. Until we have a squad strong enough to cope with injuries to key players and maintain performance levels, unfortunately we're going to have to get used to being rather shit from time to time. 

Edited by Rivers
Duplicate word.

32 minutes ago, Rivers said:

Exactly. 👍

I missed this game so can't fairly offer an assessment, but I know what I've seem from watching the vast majority of them.

Earlier in the season (and post lockdown last), with a mostly full strength side who are well drilled in what is expected of them, you can cleary see what Ralph calls our "automatisms" at work. They all know exactly what they're supposed to be doing in any given scenario, and the confidence this builds for the regular side putting the game plan into practice week in week out is clear to see.

I really don't need to list all the reasons why this confidence and trust in our automatisms has been dashed and broken down of late, as anyone who follows us well knows the shite hands we've been dealt recently.

In short, as we start getting a settled first eleven out there again over the coming weeks, the onfield connections, chemistry, and old rhythms will start clicking into place again, and performances will improve. Clearly though if we wish to be able to maintain the kind of football we've so enjoyed earlier in the season, then we need proper investment in the squad, so we have more than about thirteen players capable of doing what Ralph asks of them. Until we have a squad strong enough to cope with injuries to key players and maintain performance levels, unfortunately we're going to have to get used to being rather shit from time to time. 

.........but where are the results? Only results count.

some bad-tempered developments on this thread, and the new thread about scapegoats, reflect low morale among posters (me also). I apologise for my part but I am not a scratch golfer and have never been to Glasgow or Kenya.  The timing of my posts reflects the fact that i live in NZ. I am also predicting a win next match because a couple of goals against the runaway team is a cause for some hope. Need to keep the faith.

55 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

some bad-tempered developments on this thread, and the new thread about scapegoats, reflect low morale among posters (me also). I apologise for my part but I am not a scratch golfer and have never been to Glasgow or Kenya.  The timing of my posts reflects the fact that i live in NZ. I am also predicting a win next match because a couple of goals against the runaway team is a cause for some hope. Need to keep the faith.

No surprise here your other logins haven’t either

On 10/03/2021 at 22:54, S-Clarke said:

This is how I see it and why I'm behind Ralph. I see that we have a philosophy, a way of playing, something everyone has seemingly bought into.

We are let down by the lack of quality and squad depth. That's it. The way we play, the way we approach games in the main is a progressive and modern way....but if we had a tad more quality in the back 4 and up front/wide, then I think the story would be amazing.

I prefer seeing a team with a plan and a way to play than an Allardyce play for a 1-0/long ball bullshit, which is very short-termism and doesn't get you anywhere. What's letting us down is the lack of quality and depth, not the manager's ability or his philosophy - in my opinion

My God !

The reality is not what you portray here. Ralph is not the God you seem to naively pray to. Please analyse the team, players, tactics and philosophy in just a little more depth.

Yes every team would like more quality but some of Ralph’s decisions lately have been downright poor let alone the lack of flexible tactics which are suicidal far too often... 

The recent fondness of praising his team even after heavy defeats and the endless excuses of lack of time to prepare and lack of facilities etc etc etc is wearing very thin too. 

• Confused 1

21 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

.........but where are the results? Only results count.

You seem a fairly intelligent kind of chap Charlie. I'm sure you can work the maths out in your head. :)

The results, as you would expect, are the naturally occurring consequences or outcomes that arise from any given set of variable inputs, actions (or inactions) and contributing circumstances of events. Essentially the effects of whatever causes that led to them.

In our case, it's a long, but relatively simple formula to comprehend.

The Equasion:

A) sustained period of financial limitations + B) number of years subsequent playing squad under-investment + C) global pandemic + D) substantial related loss of income streams + E) related fixture chaos and resultant physical stress of too many games in relentless succession + F) reduced recovery time, facilities and training + G) exhausted players becoming more susceptible to loss of concentration and recurring muscle injuries with increased extended losses of key players +  H) insufficient current quality of squad depth + I) small square pegs in large round holes + J) lack of cohesion + K) Mike fucking Dean and skate Lee Mason + L) demoralisation, loss of confidence and belief = fragile mentality and exponentially increasing potential for producing a higher number of individual errors, dire performances and shite results.

The Results:

A + B + C + D + E + F + G + H + I + J + K + L  = Fucked.

They can only work with what they have. Try to cut Ralph and the lads a little slack. :)

• Like 1