Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread

LGTL

We move onto Sunday, thats the game we should be targeting to get all three points from. A few of our key players got a rest. Fraser will be back in goal on Sunday too :)Another goal each from Prowsey and Che :)  hoping Moussa isn't too bad after coming off at half time. We were very good in spells - Diallo and Tella in particular were very good when they came on tonight :)

Edited by davefizzy14

That was a strange game really. Whenever city put their foot down we conceded, thankfully they were a little bit kind in that sense and didn't play like that all game.

Defensively we are abject. We ball watch, we stand off, we don't tackle, we mark space and not the man. It really is a total mess to see.

When Bednarek is on form he is a decent player, no more. When he is off form he is an absolute mess.

Salisu is still playing in La Liga, totally not used to the pace of this league. It'll come, I hope. 

Thought we transitioned pretty well throughout the game, got into some decent positions. The problem is when our attack includes Redmond, you are automatically on the back foot. Fine example came in 80+ mins. We were 3 on 1 I think. He could have gone left, right, easy. What did he do? Passed it to the 1 fucking city defender in front of him. That summed him up. Truly abject, get shot - please.

Onto the next one. Wasn't expecting anything today, but it would have been nice to see us defend rather than defend like a bunch of pansies.

• Like 5

It's crazy here! Saints fans all over the streets of Ottawa and neighbouring Gatineau, as a sea of red and white midgets celebrating a great 5-2 defeat. Hold on, some of those are snowmen with red and white scarves...

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Haha 3

Thought we played well going forward, not everyone gets two goals against this City defence. Mistakes at the back but against a team who aren't arguably the best in europe those don't all go in. One major criticism is McCarthy. People won't notice as he didn't make any absolute howlers for the goals but its another game where he majorly underperformed his xGA. He needs to do better, an average keeper would statistically have conceded 3 (xG of 3.1), he concedes 5. We need better in that position.

• Like 2

Started well. Came back from being a goal behind well. Fought (ish) until the end. 

Unfortunately individual errors have cost us again. The second goal (wtf was adams doing? Seriously) killed the game. 

I wonder if Ralph too Forster out to save his confidence? But McCarthy isn’t the answer for us. 

Beaten by the better team, obviously, and 5-2 doesn’t on paper look that bad. That being said, It should had been more. 

Defensively, absolutely shocking. Bednerak needs some time out of the team, really not up to the level were after at the moment. 

13 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Given tonight's performance if we don't win at the weekend will tonight have been a mistake? 

We’re we likely to win tonight? We played well in parts but let’s face it Man City are a very good team. 

im ok with what RH put out and the reasons why. He has given us a better chance of a win at the weekend.

Not going to moan too much as long as we get something v Brighton. KWP too early in recovery to push through 2 games in 4 games, let alone v City away. Experimental back 4 but with the joke owner and lack of any FB depth, what else could have been done given the schedule with the later start to the season?

Some positives and Diallo got another 30 minutes. Good 40 minutes and then loss of focus for 20 minutes which killed the game. This is something the club psychologists have got to look at in depth with the players as it’s been a common feature over the last 2 years. The players on the budget have flaws but they are better than the silly 20-25 minutes they are showing. It shouldn’t be happening at professional level this regularly in any of the top 5 divisions.

Club needs buying and some experience buying in the defence and midfield areas that talks and organises, Ings replacement and a left back. 

4 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

That was a strange game really. Whenever city put their foot down we conceded, thankfully they were a little bit kind in that sense and didn't play like that all game.

Defensively we are abject. We ball watch, we stand off, we don't tackle, we mark space and not the man. It really is a total mess to see.

When Bednarek is on form he is a decent player, no more. When he is off form he is an absolute mess.

Salisu is still playing in La Liga, totally not used to the pace of this league. It'll come, I hope. 

Thought we transitioned pretty well throughout the game, got into some decent positions. The problem is when our attack includes Redmond, you are automatically on the back foot. Fine example came in 80+ mins. We were 3 on 1 I think. He could have gone left, right, easy. What did he do? Passed it to the 1 fucking city defender in front of him. That summed him up. Truly abject, get shot - please.

Onto the next one. Wasn't expecting anything today, but it would have been nice to see us defend rather than defend like a bunch of pansies.

Totally agree

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Thought redmond actually played better than recently but i did yell in frustration when he failed with the through ball for Tella.

• Like 1

No shame to lose to City BUT you can play City WITHOUT conceding 5 goals. 

Sheffield United and Brighton lost 1-0, WBA drew 1-1, Newcastle and Fulham kept it tight. Even Swansea and Cheltenham in cups have kept it very reasonable.

Our benchmark seems to be under 9 = win

Pathetic mentality all around the club

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, TWar said:

Thought we played well going forward, not everyone gets two goals against this City defence. Mistakes at the back but against a team who aren't arguably the best in europe those don't all go in. One major criticism is McCarthy. People won't notice as he didn't make any absolute howlers for the goals but its another game where he majorly underperformed his xGA. He needs to do better, an average keeper would statistically have conceded 3 (xG of 3.1), he concedes 5. We need better in that position.

Actual goals being higher than XG isn't always down to the keeper.

In this case, looking at the goals, it was just good finishing as far as I can see.

1 minute ago, Baird of the land said:

Thought redmond actually played better than recently but i did yell in frustration when he failed with the through ball for Tella.

Shows how low our expectations are if we think he played 'better' than recently! He really needs to go, needs a new start elsewhere.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

We’re we likely to win tonight? We played well in parts but let’s face it Man City are a very good team. 

im ok with what RH put out and the reasons why. He has given us a better chance of a win at the weekend.

yeah if we'd played KWP and diallo from the start and they got crocked for key winnable league and cup games he would have been hounded for it.

Not sure about the Stephens gamble but probably says something about Jankewitz's attitude that ralph won't put him near the team.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

Shows how low our expectations are if we think he played 'better' than recently! He really needs to go, needs a new start elsewhere.

Dole office. Jamaica. Anywhere. Really terrible footballer. But wasn’t his usual standard tonight. Bit higher. 

That was a very entertaining games of football. Pity that 2nd Adams goal was offside as with a 5-3 scoreline, we'd have come away from it with heads held high. An excellent refereeing performance from Jon Moss too.

With McCarthy in goal our defence understandably looked a bundle of nerves but we'll be fine against Brighton as Forster will be back in goal and he brings calmness and assuredness to the whole defence.

Edited by Nordic Saint
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The problem is when our attack includes Redmond, you are automatically on the back foot. Fine example came in 80+ mins. We were 3 on 1 I think. He could have gone left, right, easy. What did he do? Passed it to the 1 fucking city defender in front of him. That summed him up. Truly abject, get shot - please.

This x100. Backup squad player at best. Hopeless, hopeless, hopeless.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

My word, we know Redmond is shit but he’s been extra crap this evening. How the hell he starts AND stays on is a mystery.

And on 70 minutes gone can be heard screaming back to the hard working midfielders and defenders For fuck sake give us a hand.......................yeah fuck off Redmond, like playing with 10  when hes on . Constantly moaning about something hes fucked up really. why cant he get injured,oh yes cause he dosent do anything any time soon to get involved with. Salisu wow least said the better.

• Like 1

The delusion on here is unbelievable.

15 minutes of decent football, and that’s it. If city needed to score 7, they would have done. Passing a few triangles round the middle of the park when the games over, is just propaganda football. When it mattered, we were soft as shiete. 

The most depressing thing is our fans reaction. We got 5 put past us and people think that’s ok? We went up there with Nigel and gave them a fright, there was absolutely no danger of them losing tonight, none whatsoever. If we’re happy with that, god help us. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Agreed. Better generally but abysmal fail with that fucked up pass.

A bizarre game because we lost 2-5 but overall we played well, except for stupidly gifting them the second and a few moments of very poor defending.

But objective achieved. KWP rested fully, Armstrong, Diallo not full games. We played some good football in the right way. Keep doing that and we'll be fine.

But a couple of observations. Mccarthy might have done better with at least one goal. Che should forget his big crossfield passes out of defence, Stephens isn't a midfielder yet, Salisu will be good but has dodgy moments. Tella was great. Redmond was better. Djenepo is injured. Again.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Stu Man Do said:

Slightly miffed by how Vesty seems to just stop once he’s had an attempt at a tackle. Never seems to be busting a gut to get back in position.

I noticed this too.

When they showed all 5 goals again Vest’s defending was questionable to say the least- just focus on him and dunno if anyone else can see it

It’s not his fault but you just think- he could do so much better?

Edited by nta786

The alternative to tonight is parking the bus for 90 minutes and losing 3-0 instead of 5-2, like most others do. If we had Romeu fit so we could’ve played him or Diallo, and KWP wasn’t coming off the back of another injury so couldn’t be risked, things would maybe have been competitive. Hey ho, 5 winnable games ahead. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

15 minutes of decent football, and that’s it. If city needed to score 7, they would have done. Passing a few triangles round the middle of the park when the games over, is just propaganda football. When it mattered, we were soft as shiete. 

The most depressing thing is our fans reaction. We got 5 put past us and people think that’s ok? We went up there with Nigel and gave them a fright, there was absolutely no danger of them losing tonight, none whatsoever. If we’re happy with that, god help us. 

Tell you what why don’t you give it a rest with your constant bollox. We were playing one of the best teams in Europe 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

I don't think anyone is happy? It was an abject defensive performance.

People are just commenting on how well we transitioned when we counter pressed, which did work well at times tonight - that element of our game was good. The elements which let us down were the two boxes, arguably the defensive more than the attack as we scored twice.

Need to really sharpen up defensively, not just individually, but as a unit. Doesn't help when you have square pegs everywhere, but it wasn't as negative as it could have been, yet it was still pretty shit all being told.

I just want this season over with and start again in the summer to build a squad capable of doing something.

• Like 1

Well, a few naughty words from me tonight. I was just about to post on the thread to say 'I don't know how far behind my stream is, but we're playing well' when I come on and see we've conceded. We played some good football but oh, the silly mistakes and lack of bite to some of our tackles.  Bednarek looks like a rabbit in the headlights at times, I wish he had a bit more confidence to do what Vestergard does and actually pass forward occasionally.  Diallo looked good on his bursts forward. Redmond looked better and did the whole game, but as pointed out, that 3 on 1 pass was appalling. Salisu is still not up to speed with this league but will get there.

We can certainly beat Brighton. I'll be round mum's cooking her mothere's day meal and watching the footie there so I'm going to have to ameliorate my language!

• Like 1

Quite enjoyed that as a football spectacle but obviously not the result. Considering we gift-wrapped at least two of their goals overall we were ok especially when you look at having Salisu at left back. He's taken a lot of stick but let's cut him some slack playing out of position against Mahrez who is arguably the best in the league out wide. We played lots of good football and certainly looked more balanced when Diallo came on.  Shame JWP couldn't treat us to one of his free-kick specials but thought he played very well.   

8 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Check and compare the values of the two squads before flaming fans who are slightly more realistic.

11 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

The main reason I think the result is "ok" is because of how much that rankles with certain people on here...

Edited by trousers

Quite enjoyed the match. We were very good at times.

City just a much better squad.

No injuries (edit: JennyPoo aside), some good stuff to build on, and a run of very winnable games coming up.

Good to see Ralph so positive in his post match interview too.

Edited by Suhari
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

The alternative to tonight is parking the bus for 90 minutes and losing 3-0 instead of 5-2, like most others do. If we had Romeu fit so we could’ve played him or Diallo, and KWP wasn’t coming off the back of another injury so couldn’t be risked, things would maybe have been competitive. Hey ho, 5 winnable games ahead. 

We dont know how to park the bus, that has become blatantly obvious under Ralph. He needs to develop different strategies in order to do well in the PL. Im glad we had a go tonight as opposed to parking the bus, but there will be times when we need to fall back on that strategy (being down to 10 for example)

6 minutes ago, Teddeer said:

Check and compare the values of the two squads before flaming fans who are slightly more realistic.

Souness hits nail on head. Had city gone for it, we could have got a real beating. Played totally wrong tactics. Concede too many goals. Yet people are bigging  up a 5 against a team in third gear, evidently we played “well”. Pony . That’s noddy club mentality 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ralph in his interview said he was happy with his performance and said he far enjoyed tonight than he would have done had he parked the bus for 90 minutes.

Sometimes I wonder if his stubbornness/naivety is what will prevent him from taking us to a top 8 finish I’m not sure.

Ideally, going forward I do think we need to hire a defensive coach. 
I’m not sure who but maybe even a John Terry or  Steve Bould might help I think.

Edited by nta786

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Souness hits nail on head. Had city gone for it, we could have got a real beating. Played totally wrong tactics. Concede too many goals. Yet people are bugging up a 5 against a team in third gear. That’s noddy club mentality 

I don't tend to listen to Souness if I can help it.  He lost all credibility when he signed Ali Dia.

• Like 1