Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread

LGTL

Free hit..... but we need respectability as a bare minimum.   If we're not going to get anything from the game, let's make sure that we don't collapse and ship another hat full of goals.  KISS concept - get out with credibility in tact and move on. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Micky said:

Free hit..... but we need respectability as a bare minimum.   If we're not going to get anything from the game, let's make sure that we don't collapse and ship another hat full of goals.  KISS concept - get out with credibility in tact and move on. 

Another 9-0 would be funny and potentially hugely rewarding for my fantasy team

Try to keep the score down and avoid any injuries, City might start taking their eye off the ball with Champions league and other cups coming up, league title all but done. 

Perhaps don't risk Walker-Peters with much more winnable game v Brighton at the weekend. 

Edited by JRM

59 minutes ago, Trout-Tickler said:

With 3 games in 8 days I'd rest KWP and Armstrong personally. Armstrong has always struggled with games in quick succession and given his importance I'd rest KWP given his last injury arose from playing 2 games in 3 days against Wolves.

This, might as well rest a few for the next game. This is a game for Jankewitz, give him a few Red Bulls and tell him to go get stuck in.

Edited by aintforever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

KWP & Diallo need game time to reach match fitness.  Also we need to keep our best team together to recover our automatism which has been lost since the injuries crises.

Calls to field a weakened or experimental side are daft, we need to put out our strongest team and go for it. If we lose 2-1 so be it but we'll improve our cohesion and team work ready for the next few games where we could grab a fine haul of points.

• Like 3

Forster

KWP - Bednarek - Vest - Bertrand

JWP - Jankewitz

Djenepo - Minamino

Adams - Tella

I’d rotate Armstrong and Diallo out for this one. KWP is kind of a necessity but he’ll probably come off for Stephens around 60 minutes, when the game is effectively over.

Luckily, with the league won and bigger fish to fry, City will have no interest in running up a cricket score. Once it gets to 3-0 hopefully they'll take their foot off the gas, and both sides will play out the remainder of the match as a nice, friendly no-contact walkabout. Maybe a cup of tea and chat on the side lines.

I stopped betting (only $10) on Saints a while ago because, despite shocking refereeing, VAR and injuries, they weren't worth it. Not sure if today is the start of a revival (hope so). This game could show us. Realistically, and regrettably, can't see a win and a draw is against the odds. TBH, at this moment I just don't want to see any more caving for the rest of the season. Play hard for the full 90 and at least come off the pitch with a bit of pride. IIf they win, I'll shout all of you a beer, tea, coffee or any other beverge you want - but in New Zealand. Even Turkey sorry Turkish.

Edited by Jeremy

2 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

I stopped betting (only $10) on Saints a while ago because, despite shocking refeering, VAR and injuries, they weren't worth it. Not sure if today is the start of a revival (hope so). This game could show us. Realistically, and regrettably, can't see a win and a draw is against the odds. TBH, at this moment I just don't want to see any more caving for the rest of the season. Play hard for the full 90 and at least come off the pitch with a bit of pride. IIf they win, I'll shout all of you a beer, tea, coffee or any other beverge you want - but in New Zealand. Even Turkey sorry Turkish.

You're not going to be able to retire early betting a tenner on Saints, or any other Club for that matter.    I imagine you will be offered $10 or $12. for a Saints win v M. City which might tempt you.  What do you drink over in the shaky isles?    Monteith's Ale, Savvy Blanc or maybe a Central Otago PInot.

4 hours ago, HKsaint said:

I will try to defend like we did against Chelsea. If Redmond is not in the team, then we will have a hope to get a point. 

Ridiculous post, he has been an integral part of many good wins in the past. Just because he's struggling at the moment, there is no need to turn on him.

• Like 6
  • Confused 2

Feels like we've been stitched up a bit with this one, game due to be end of April when City could have been distracted by Champions league semi final etc, instead they moved league cup final to that weekend and squeezed our game in now. 

At least we'll have a blank weekend end of April to have a rest I suppose, could be useful when rescheduling FA Cup semi final and final games. 

I'd start strong but then take KWP/Diallo off around 55-60 I think.

I really don't want to see KWP/Diallo etc pushed to their limits after just returning although I suspect the sport scientists will know better.

No one is expecting anything here either.

I would start Minamino too but I think Ralph said Taki can't play 2 games in quick succession because this is something he isn't used to. 

Forster

KWP Bednarek Vestegaard Bertrand

Djenepo JWP Diallo Armstrong

Adams Tella

Subs: KWP off Salisu on,  Diallo off Redmond on (and move Armstrong into No. 6 position), and then give Minamino some time for Tella

We will need some ridiculous slice of luck to get something here- if Jesus/Sterling don't have their shooting boots on then I back us to keep it tight but they will for sure get chances. I think if this game was played last week it would have been a 6-1 mauling similar to the one back in 2018/19, but returning players gives it a different outlook. 

We must be realistic and save bodies for Brighton 

Djnepo instead of Tiko for an hour Redmond instead of Tella conserve Armstrong biggest issue is do we play KWP again?

we will spend at least 70 minutes without the ball probably so it’s all about energy 

• Like 1

All about keeping the system going and not exposing players. Defence should be the same, maybe Ramsey/Stephens as a sub for KWP to conserve fitness.

Redmond  and Djenepo to start, use them to conserve other players' fitness for Brighton.

Other than that business as usual. Perhaps give Salisu or Jankewitz 20 mins at the end.

Could get a draw City will get bored at some point.

It matters little  how much a player costs in the currently 'Agent Controlled' market, its what they do on the field that counts. Our players play for SFC and under the direction of Ralph. Man City may be a wealthy Club,but we can still challenge them on the field where it really counts. I am going for a Saints victory and  bollocks to the pundits.They have to lose this 'Media wank-fest' sometime and we will do that on Wednesday.Tella has really impressed me and they don't like attacking forwards like him who don't shrug off the challenge.Three more points for the Saints.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, hasper57saint said:

It matters little  how much a player costs in the currently 'Agent Controlled' market, its what they do on the field that counts. Our players play for SFC and under the direction of Ralph. Man City may be a wealthy Club,but we can still challenge them on the field where it really counts. I am going for a Saints victory and  bollocks to the pundits.They have to lose this 'Media wank-fest' sometime and we will do that on Wednesday.Tella has really impressed me and they don't like attacking forwards like him who don't shrug off the challenge.Three more points for the Saints.

I'll have some of what you are smoking please. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Man City 5-2 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic